NBA 2016 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: NBA 2016 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#281 » by stitches » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Watching some Kris Dunn videos he looks exactly like the player Quin wants for his system. He looks like he could break down the defense on the 45 degree angle with ease. If they think Dante can play some SG it could be worth trading up to grab him.

12 pick, Jazz first next year(protected), GS first next year, and Burke for the 6th pick???

I used to be higher on Dunn, but the more I watched the more his limitations stuck out like a sore thumb. There are about 5 PGs in next year's draft that are likely to be better than Dunn. I wouldn't trade those picks for Dunn. I like next years draft too much.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#282 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:18 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Watching some Kris Dunn videos he looks exactly like the player Quin wants for his system. He looks like he could break down the defense on the 45 degree angle with ease. If they think Dante can play some SG it could be worth trading up to grab him.

12 pick, Jazz first next year(protected), GS first next year, and Burke for the 6th pick???

I used to be higher on Dunn, but the more I watched the more his limitations stuck out like a sore thumb. There are about 5 PGs in next year's draft that are likely to be better than Dunn. I wouldn't trade those picks for Dunn. I like next years draft too much.

Fair enough. It's not like I watched a ton of video.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#283 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:36 pm

If Dunn isn't a good option I would hope Baldwin falls and we can grab him by grabbing a pick. I think trading Burke and having another young PG is a good idea. I like Dante, but he hasn't proven anything. And Neto is good but he doesn't have elite physical tools. And Mack is only under contract for another year. A SF and a PG this draft would be a good. Then go grab a rotational veteran big man. I just think it's going to be easier to find a quality big man via free agency vs a point guard. Seems like teams almost never trade quality PG's.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#284 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Daddy 801 wrote: I just think it's going to be easier to find a quality big man via free agency vs a point guard. Seems like teams almost never trade quality PG's.

Off the top of my head: MCW, Knight, Bledsoe, CP3, Holiday, George Hill, Isaiah Thomas, Dragic, Deron, Jennings, Devin Harris and a whole bunch of competent backups\fringe starters (Chalmers, Udrih)were traded in the last few seasons. The PG position is stacked, it is probably the easiest position to fill with a decent player. That the Jazz struggles to do that and always go for cheap, over the hill vets is a reflection on the FO.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#285 » by Hoops Addict » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Beasely gets a 9 out of 10 fo

r shooting. I like him......and Murray.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/malik-beasley
Malik BeasleyFlorida St.

Birthday: 11/26/96
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
Class: Freshman
Ht: 6-5
Wt: 195
Hometown: Alpharetta, GA
High School: St. Francis
Team Site Profile
Statistics

NBA Comparison: Wesley Matthews
Strengths: Energetic/athletic player who gives his all whenever he is on the floor ... Has textbook mechanics on his shot and is a knockdown shooter when open ... Great in the open court and transition ... Aggressively slashes to the rim ... Impressive and explosive athlete ... Can grab the rebound and then lead the fast break ... Plays within himself and efficiently in the half court ... Excellent in catch-and-shoot situations ... Also uses one or two-dribble pull-up jumpers well ... More than just a catch and shoot guy showing improvement in his ability to create shots for himself ... Moves well off the ball often taking advantage of his defender ball watching to cut to the hole for easy points ... Plays with great balance ... Elevation on jump shot helps make up for his lack of size on the wing (only 6'5") ... Capable of highlight finishes at the rim when he gets an opening ... Finishes well in the paint and has a decent floater ... Gives tremendous effort on defense ... Flies around to the ball and is almost always involved in any defensive sequence ...

Weaknesses: Ability to create for others can still improve ... Seldom gets to the rim off the dribble and will often stop his dribble when no clear move presents itself ... Not much of a playmaker at this stage of his development ... Ball handling is sufficient but can improve ... Turnover prone due to lack of comfort when having the ball in his hands for long ... Often too reckless as a defender ... Will take chances that leave the rest of the team unable to compensate for ... His fundamentals and technique as a defender in on ball situations needs reworking ... Swipes at the ball rather then using his feet to stay in front of his man ... Lacks elite size and length for a wing ...

Notes: Measured 6'4 (in shoes) 185 lbs, with a 6'6 wingspan at the 2014 Kevin Durant Skills Academy ... Selected to 2015 Jordan Brand Classic ... Attended LeBron James Skills Academy and 2014 Nike Global Challenge ... 2015 BallisLife All-American game member ... Scored double digits in first 24 career games as a freshman ... 2016 All-ACC Freshman Team and 2016 All-ACC Honorable Mention selection ... Son of actors Michael and Deena Beasley ...

Outlook: Beasley had a surprisingly stellar freshmen year at Florida State ... Used his will and competitiveness to stand out above higher touted prospects ... If he can become a better defender he will add to his value in the league ... His athleticism and shooting will get his foot in the door right away in the NBA, but figures to spend a lot of time in D-League initially ...
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#286 » by Hoops Addict » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Dejontay Murray

NBA Comparison: Shaun Livingston/Jamal Crawford
Strengths: Combo guard with tremendous handles and versatility … Prototypical basketball body with great length, big wingspan (measured at 6'9.5 in 2014) … Explosive athlete, who should become more so as his body fills out … Electric ball handling ability with crossovers and ball on a string type dribbling ability … Has great quickness and shifty moves to evade defenders and get to the rim, or get opponents off balance and create space to pull up … Shows the ability to score in a variety of ways … Great feel for isolating and creating points off the dribble … Good finisher around the rim on drives … Flashy player with great speed in the open floor and elusive moves in traffic … Has added intrigue with his versatility to play either guard position … Tremendous rebounder for a guard (6.4 per game) … Very good pick and roll ability for his age … Has the potential to be a lock down defender and is already one of the better guard defenders in the Conference in his freshman season … Mature kid. Surprisingly disciplined considering his skill level. Shows a completely different game in the structured environment of college ball, as opposed to his free wheeling, showmanship in pick up games and while in AAU or All Star games. A natural showman, but really understands how to tone things down and play disciplined when it's called for …

Weaknesses: At 170 pounds, obviously could use some strength to help finish off drives and stay on balance after contact … Still somewhat inexperienced, with just a season of college under his belt. Must work on his shooting. A sub-30% three point shooter as a freshman, though not shy about taking it and shows decent form … Still inconsistent. Has had a number of poor performances scattered amongst tremendous games … Must improve upon decision making, value the ball more and cut down on turnovers. 4.8/3.3 a/to ratio isn't terrible considering his age, but obviously in need of improvement … More of a scorer than facilitator, and will need to become better in creating offense for others … Decent FT shooter at 70% but obviously can be improved upon …

Notes: Pronounced "Duh-JON-tay" ... Measured 6'5 (in shoes) 162 lbs, with a 6'9.5 wingspan at the 2014 Kevin Durant Skills Academy ... Was not considered an elite level recruit, missing out on most of the high profile HS showcase games, despite showing huge potential … Scored 34 points on 10/14 shooting in an overtime win over Arizona St. on February 3rd … Washington native and NBA standout Jamal Crawford has taken Murray under his wing and acted as Big Brother and Mentor to him …
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#287 » by Reckless » Wed May 4, 2016 10:48 pm

Thoughts on Domantas Sabonis?
stitches
RealGM

Post#288 » by stitches » Thu May 5, 2016 3:38 am

Reckless wrote:Thoughts on Domantas Sabonis?

If I had to use one word to describe him, it'd be - SOLID! All around! He's tough and physical, he's fundamental, not flashy, great rebounder, great hustle and good screen-setter, seems to know how to play the game(high basketball IQ) and makes winning plays(of the sort that don't go on the boxscore), which is not surprising having grown up around the game at the highest level from early age. He might lack elite size and atleticism, but he is... well... solid! He's got good touch and feel around the rim, but I'm not sure how much he can stretch the floor. Every time I watch him, I can't help but think the same thing - damn, he's so solid!

If the top-upside guys and top wing-prospects are gone, I wouldn't mind us picking him up.
stitches
RealGM

Post#289 » by stitches » Sun May 8, 2016 9:54 pm

Here's the list for the combine:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2016-NBA-Combine-Participant-List-and-Analysis-5472

Interesting that 3 players declined the invites. Simmons was one of them. But the other 2 are suprising - Domantas Sabonis and Dejounte Murray from Washington. I suppose Sabonis did it because he knows his athletic testing might make his stock drop. I have no idea why Murray declined. DX is speculating it's because they want to choose where they go(they will refuse workouts from teams they don't want to be drafted by).
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#290 » by Tom349 » Mon May 9, 2016 4:54 am

Simmons and Murray have the same agent and have been working out together.

Should be compulsory for those invited to attend.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#291 » by KqWIN » Mon May 9, 2016 3:40 pm

I've been watching some Mega Leks lately, and I'm equally impressed with Zagorac. Great slasher with good length, He's definitely worth a stash in the second round.
stitches
RealGM

Post#292 » by stitches » Mon May 9, 2016 7:24 pm

This guy looks good:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jiRnqRkiX4[/youtube]

:P

Interesting DX decided to post this video today :)
stitches
RealGM

Post#293 » by stitches » Wed May 11, 2016 3:50 am

The combine starts tomorrow.
stitches
RealGM

Post#294 » by stitches » Wed May 11, 2016 5:53 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/combine-buzz-194205610.html

Combine buzz: Turkish prospect negotiates buyout clause
Korkmaz’s buyout will be $2 million, a source said. If he’s unable to secure assurances that he’ll be selected in the lottery, it appears likely he will withdraw from the draft before the June 15 deadline and return to Turkey for another season, sources said. Korkmaz would then turn his attention to entering the 2017 draft.

[for more click on the link above]
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#295 » by Daddy 801 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:00 pm

stitches wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/combine-buzz-194205610.html

Korkmaz’s buyout will be $2 million, a source said. If he’s unable to secure assurances that he’ll be selected in the lottery, it appears likely he will withdraw from the draft before the June 15 deadline and return to Turkey for another season, sources said. Korkmaz would then turn his attention to entering the 2017 draft.

Wouldn't it make it a good situation that if he falls past lottery a team takes him anyways? If he fell couldn't the Jazz buy a pick and grab him knowing he is probably coming over eventually?
stitches
RealGM

Post#296 » by stitches » Wed May 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/combine-buzz-194205610.html

Wouldn't it make it a good situation that if he falls past lottery a team takes him anyways? If he fell couldn't the Jazz buy a pick and grab him knowing he is probably coming over eventually?

The point is they make some under the table deals, where a team in the lottery would need to promise him to take him. It's not really legal, but it happens. If he doesn't get such a promise he will withdraw from the draft. For example last year Vezenkov wanted a promise to go in the first round, didn't get one and dropped out.
stitches
RealGM

Post#297 » by stitches » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/730470842086338562[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/730475047882772484[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/730480765138575360[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/730488315573620736[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/730497473513291777[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/730508777749782528[/tweet]
stitches
RealGM

Post#298 » by stitches » Thu May 12, 2016 2:27 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/730552239903899648[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/730582984781365248[/tweet]
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#299 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 am

That really is too bad Thon Maker isn't going to play 5 on 5. He had a good start with the measurements. Sounds like he's the unicorn of the group. I was really looking forward to seeing how he was going to handle the 5 on 5 myself.

I would LOVE for the Jazz to get GP-II... just going to keep putting that out there.

The situation with Korkmaz... I'm still not sold on him but it would be an interesting scenario for the Jazz if they can get his rights and bring him over down the road. Not sure if that's possible with the whole situation but we'll see.

Does anyone know anything about the giant that is Zhou Qi?
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#300 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu May 12, 2016 2:42 pm

What channel covers the combine?

EDIT:
Thur. 5/12 – ESPN2 – 12 – 4 p.m. (PDT)
Fri. 5/13 – ESPN2 – 12-4 p.m. (PDT)
Sat. 5/14 – NBATV – 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (PDT)
Sun. 5/15 – NBATV – 6 – 9 p.m. (PDT)
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz