30.5 - ESPN Video says Gobert is best Defensive player- at rim opponents shoot 30.5%

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

30.5 - ESPN Video says Gobert is best Defensive player- at rim opponents shoot 30.5% 

Post#1 » by Hoops Addict » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Opponents shoot 30.5% at the rim when Gobert plays.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14157138

That is an awesome stat. If we had more offense and good players we will be a great team.

Go Jazz
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Re: 30.5 - ESPN Video says Gobert is best Defensive player- at rim opponents shoot 30.5% 

Post#2 » by JazzMatt13 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 pm

I wrote this the other day in dudes trends and boxscore box:

(Before Raptors)
I wanted to know if Rudy's points are too low for such a body at center, and how he compares overall.

Rudy is 21st in points per game, 10 of those Centers above him have less than 30 mpg, and he has 34 mpg. Of that group only 11 have 50% shooting, which is what Rudy has.

Drummond and Jordan have more rebounds, 19 and 12.9, while Rudy has 11.8 rpg. Only Whiteside has more blocks at 4.0 to Rudy's 3.3.

My Favorite Stat:
Opp FGA at Rim = 10.3 (P. Gasol and Whiteside have more at 10.8 and 10.7)

However, Rudy only allows 3.1 FGM at Rim, while P.Gasol and Whiteside allow 5.0 and 4.6!

Opp FG% at RIM:
Rudy #1 30% (teams are better off taking those 10.3 attempts at rim and shooting 3's, they got better chance)

Even more shocking, for those with 5+ FGA at Rim on them, Mozgov, Terrence Jones, Draymond Green and Derrick Favors are only others with their percentages in the 30's, the closet is 36%.

Rudy's only thing that he isn't the top of is scoring per game:
Lopez, Okafur, Drummond, Monroe, Horford, Vuc, M. Gasol, and Towns all have 15+ppg. Some of them are good defense to.

The funny thing, Penis Katcher, only has 12.4 ppg. Everyone just listed, along with Whiteside, Big Al, Valan, P. Gasol, Duncan, Gortat, Sully, DJordan, Zaza, Hibbert and Mason Plumlee all have more points per game.

Taking all those names, Whiteside and DJordan are only ones who really compare. But Towns, he is rather high up there for a rookie.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: 30.5 - ESPN Video says Gobert is best Defensive player- at rim opponents shoot 30.5% 

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:34 am

It's worth noting that according to the video, Gobert is first with 30.5%, but also that Favors appears to be 3rd best with 37.3%, so good news all around on this one.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#4 » by Stern Fixer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Interesting and reassuring as Gobert's blocks seem to be down a bit this season. Pretty sure that Whiteside is beating him in this category. OK just checked and yes Whiteside has him by a pretty huge margin thus far (4.83 to 3 blpg). http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/blocks/sort/avgBlocks
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#5 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:Interesting and reassuring as Gobert's blocks seem to be down a bit this season. Pretty sure that Whiteside is beating him in this category. OK just checked and yes Whiteside has him by a pretty huge margin thus far (4.83 to 3 blpg). http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/blocks/sort/avgBlocks

Go look up "shots at the rim", Rudy had the most in league but he is now 4th in FGA on him, but he has that 30% which is the top for anyone with over 5 FGA on them at Rim.

These are those possessions Matt Harpring keeps saying "these won't show up in the stat sheets". They are right here plain as day in player tracking area. Not counting the exterior shots that he makes people pull up and shoot.

9.9 FGA at rim on Rudy and 3.5 FGM at RIM for league best, which is now 35%. That is 6 and half possessions per game at the rim. Whiteside is .2 less possessions than Rudy. The biggest factor, Whiteside played 2 more games, and played 6 minutes less, yet has 1.8 more blocks.

I could find it, but there is a defense at each area for every player. So we could see all the 8 foot jump shots that Rudy stopped.
reflectiveself
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#6 » by reflectiveself » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:48 pm

I have been noticing that as well, and I do give whiteside credit, the things I have found interesting is that as close as they seem, they are different players.
some of those differences are.. -

- Whiteside has been playing in 2011, Gobert 2014.
- Gobert assist % 7.1 Whiteside 1.1
- Whiteside blocks 10.1 % of the 2pt shots, Gobert 7.1%
- White side 24% Gobert 20.4% total rebounds
- Gobert 18% whiteside 12.5 % turnover %
- Win share - Gobert 5.2 Whiteside 3.7
- Defensive Win share Gobert 5.5 Whiteside 3.7
- offensive Box +/- Gobert -.5 Whiteside -2.0
- Defensive Box +/- Gobert 4.7 Whiteside 1.8
- Box Plus/Minus Gobert 4.2 Whiteside -.3

- Value over replacement player Gobert = 4.6 Whiteside .7

Link if you want to view
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=goberru01&p2=whiteha01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

So here is what I see with this, and why there is a difference, last year Gobert was not really "the man" on the team, the team played around him allowing him to do his own thing, But this year, Gobert is the man, he's changing the game not just blocking shots. due to the % of shots blocked, the win share Defensive Box +/- and Box +/- indicates that when Gobert is playing, players know that and are not challenging him like they seem to be for Whiteside. also something that stands out.. Gobert Assists 7% Whiteside 1.1%

As for whiteside, he seems to be more of the typical center, block shots, (goes for all of them

Return to Utah Jazz