Deal or No Deal?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Do we make a trade before the deadline?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:48 pm

A) Yes, we make a deal that will improve our roster immediately
37%
B) Yes, we allow another malcontent to walk for future considerations or a bag of chips
11%
C) No Deal at this time
53%

Total votes: 19

Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Deal or No Deal? 

Post#1 » by Stern Fixer » Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:48 pm

Do we make a trade by the trade deadline (Feb. 18th) or do we not, that is the question? Care to speculate?

I vote A), though my natural inclination would be D) based on an F.O. that hasn't been very proactive on the trade front. Course we did make the big blockbuster trade last year, that being Enes Kanter for a bag of chips. I'm hoping that this year will be more productive. I haven't completely given up on the trade I was hoping for (Jeff Teague) but his recent play seems to have generated more suitors than I had hoped. Still, Trey Burke's lack of play recently followed by the no-travel flu, seems rather suspicious to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Trey Burke for Kevin Martin deal for example. Another offensive option off the bench and it'd be fun to break the 100 threshold occasionally. Still I'm hoping against hope for Jeff Teague.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Re: Deal or No Deal? 

Post#2 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:50 pm

With potentially Teague and Hill available, and the situation the Jazz are currently in and looking at in the near future, they HAVE to at least try to make a deal for one of them.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#3 » by Stern Fixer » Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:55 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:With potentially Teague and Hill available, and the situation the Jazz are currently in and looking at in the near future, they HAVE to at least try to make a deal for one of them.

I certainly hope you're right compadre. Not trying to be the skunk at the picnic but you know as well as I do that being a Jazz fan can be extremely frustrating sometimes.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#4 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:19 pm

Sure hope so.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#5 » by Stern Fixer » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:49 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Sure hope so.

Well if there's anything to that "New Age" thinking, optimism abounds so far, five to nothing. And yeah, I sure hope so too. :meditate:
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#6 » by sipclip » Tue Feb 9, 2016 11:03 pm

I"m hoping we do nothing.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#7 » by erudite23 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 11:39 pm

I think the Jazz will be active in trade talks. It's always more likely that no deal happens, just due to the nature of things, but the Jazz are in prime position to make a move if they wish. We aren't going to be able to retain all of the pieces we have right now when they come up for extensions, so it might be a good time to make a calculated gamble and deal one or two of them when they are at their peak value. I imagine we could get a nice vet or two back in exchange for a package built around Rodney, Burke, Lyles and a future pick or two. Maybe even a borderline star.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#8 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 9, 2016 11:48 pm

erudite23 wrote:I think the Jazz will be active in trade talks. It's always more likely that no deal happens, just due to the nature of things, but the Jazz are in prime position to make a move if they wish. We aren't going to be able to retain all of the pieces we have right now when they come up for extensions, so it might be a good time to make a calculated gamble and deal one or two of them when they are at their peak value. I imagine we could get a nice vet or two back in exchange for a package built around Rodney, Burke, Lyles and a future pick or two. Maybe even a borderline star.

If youre trading that much I think an All Star should come in return, such as PG?
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#9 » by KqWIN » Tue Feb 9, 2016 11:51 pm

I think there's a good chance that Trey Burke's representation will ask/have asked for a trade. It's probably just wishful thinking, but I'm going to say Trey has played his game for the Jazz. It might not be for an upgrade, but more of a parting of ways like last TD.

Teague is a guy I'd like to have if he comes cheap, but if Atlanta is asking for fair value or more I think I'd stay away. George Hill, on the other hand, is a guy I would go the extra mile before. I've always loved his game, and I think he is the perfect fit for the style of basketball we play.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 9, 2016 11:54 pm

Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#11 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:32 am

GobertReport wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=goy5hz4

Jazz also send 2 1sts.

That's subtle.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:49 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
GobertReport wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=goy5hz4

Jazz also send 2 1sts.

That's subtle.

I thought so :D
Ingles is cooked.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#13 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:07 am

sipclip wrote:I"m hoping we do nothing.

I gotta hand it to you. We are playing with some chemistry lately and I'd hate to mess with that. Still, I think Burke gets moved and hopefully we get something in return.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#14 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:16 am

KqWIN wrote:I think there's a good chance that Trey Burke's representation will ask/have asked for a trade. It's probably just wishful thinking, but I'm going to say Trey has played his game for the Jazz. It might not be for an upgrade, but more of a parting of ways like last TD.

Teague is a guy I'd like to have if he comes cheap, but if Atlanta is asking for fair value or more I think I'd stay away. George Hill, on the other hand, is a guy I would go the extra mile before. I've always loved his game, and I think he is the perfect fit for the style of basketball we play.

This George Hill thing is a new development I hadn't expected. Not sure what they'd take in return. I hadn't thought about it, but you obviously know what you're talking about and I'd have to agree.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#15 » by sipclip » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 am

erudite23 wrote:I think the Jazz will be active in trade talks. It's always more likely that no deal happens, just due to the nature of things, but the Jazz are in prime position to make a move if they wish. We aren't going to be able to retain all of the pieces we have right now when they come up for extensions, so it might be a good time to make a calculated gamble and deal one or two of them when they are at their peak value. I imagine we could get a nice vet or two back in exchange for a package built around Rodney, Burke, Lyles and a future pick or two. Maybe even a borderline star.

Rodney is turning into a star before our eyes. No need to trade him for one and I'm definitely not throwing in a ton of other assets as well.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#16 » by sipclip » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:48 am

Stern Fixer wrote:

I gotta hand it to you. We are playing with some chemistry lately and I'd hate to mess with that. Still, I think Burke gets moved and hopefully we get something in return.

I told you guys once this team became somewhat healthy they were to take off and it would be led by Rodney Hood breaking out. That is exactly what we have seen with Rodney becoming far more consistent which has taken a ton of pressure off of Gordon to be the man every night and that has led to Gordon playing even better. I'm so excited for next season when Exum is back and we have added a few more players to round out our bench.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#17 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:53 am

sipclip wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:

I told you guys once this team became somewhat healthy they were to take off and it would be led by Rodney Hood breaking out. That is exactly what we have seen with Rodney becoming far more consistent which has taken a ton of pressure off of Gordon to be the man every night and that has led to Gordon playing even better. I'm so excited for next season when Exum is back and we have added a few more players to round out our bench.

Also important to Gordon having someone else be able to take pressure off is maybe, just maybe, he sees the value of a good team and takes a bit less to stay on the team and allow a little more flexibility by earning I dunno 23 million a year vs. 30 million. Wishful thinking, but the Jazz sure as hell aren't getting a break until they are winning and he is having fun.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#18 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:30 am

Am I the only one who thinks that Burks just doesn't fit very well on this roster?

If I could flip Burks for George Hill I'd do it. I'd probably also do it for Jeff Teague.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#19 » by KqWIN » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:33 am

StocktonShorts wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Burks just doesn't fit very well on this roster?

If I could flip Burks for George Hill I'd do it. I'd probably also do it for Jeff Teague.

I think Burks is a good 6th man, we need one of those. It'd nice to have a starting PG, but I'm not moving him for one unless it's a perfect fit. That said, I think Hill is a perfect fit.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#20 » by sipclip » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:47 am

StocktonShorts wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Burks just doesn't fit very well on this roster?

Burks is a great fit for this roster. We need that go to scorer off the bench and I still love going big with Burks, Hood and Hayward. It sucks that he got injured because I think we would be seeing just how devastating of a trio they could. Let those 3 build chemistry on the court and watch out because they will dominate teams.

Return to Utah Jazz