The Offseason Thread (who do you want to sign/trade?)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

The Offseason Thread (who do you want to sign/trade?) 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:34 am

I'll kick this off:

Free agency:
Afflalo is opting out of his contract and Jared Dudley will be a free agent. They are my top two targets to bolster our bench. There aren't really better options in free agency at point guard than Mack, other than Conley. I'd absolutely love him, perfect guy for a 19 year old point guard to learn under. We could sign him for 4 years at the max and still give Exum tons of opportunity to develop into an elite player.

Draft:
In our range, I really like Timothy Luwawu and Taruean Prince. Both are big defensive wings that can spread the court a bit.

If all goes ideally our roster would look something like this:
Gobert/Favors/Withey
Favors/Lyles/Dudley
Hayward/Dudley/Ingles
Hood/Burks/Luwawu
Conley/Exum/Neto

That would leave us with a much deeper team, much more shooting, more veteran experience and a ton of movable assets.

What do you want to happen? Do you want to see a major trade? Should Quinn stay (I like him a lot)? Should Lindsey stay (I also like him)?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: The Offseason Thread (who do you want to sign/trade?) 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:03 am

Trade Hayward and pick for top 3 pick or trade him and other assets for needed stud.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#3 » by stitches » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:16 am

GobertReport wrote:Trade Hayward and pick for top 3 pick or trade him and other assets for needed stud.

You are insane. Studs are just easily found out there. Especially ones that are better than Hayward...
stitches
RealGM

Post#4 » by stitches » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:31 am

babyjax13 wrote:I'll kick this off:

Free agency:
Afflalo is opting out of his contract and Jared Dudley will be a free agent. They are my top two targets to bolster our bench. There aren't really better options in free agency at point guard than Mack, other than Conley. I'd absolutely love him, perfect guy for a 19 year old point guard to learn under. We could sign him for 4 years at the max and still give Exum tons of opportunity to develop into an elite player.

Not bad idea, but Conley is probably not gettable. I want us to give a true stud short-term max. My idea has been max Batum for 2 years, but that might not be realistic(he might get longer max in FA). I don't know what Washington is thinking, I might try to pry away Beal from them. Other more realistic and cheaper options - Luol Deng, Eric Gordon, Crabbe, Jared Dudley.

Draft:
In our range, I really like Timothy Luwawu and Taruean Prince. Both are big defensive wings that can spread the court a bit.

Yes, I love Luwawu at 12-13.The other option should be one of the multiple bigs at that range(I love the high upside ones - Skal, Maker. Marquese Chriss might be interesting 3/4 option. Korkmaz is another one I like...

Gobert/Favors/Withey
Favors/Lyles/Dudley
Hayward/Dudley/Ingles
Hood/Burks/Luwawu
Conley/Exum/Neto

That would leave us with a much deeper team, much more shooting, more veteran experience and a ton of movable assets.

Well, yes... hopefully next year will be better and less frustrating than this one.
What do you want to happen? Do you want to see a major trade? Should Quinn stay (I like him a lot)? Should Lindsey stay (I also like him)?

I don't want Quin or Lindsey to leave! I want them to take accountability for their mistakes and I want to see Lindsey actually try to make this team successful in the off-season. I think the stage of the team relying exclusively on internal development should end right about now. Yes, we will need more internal development, mainly from Exum, Hood, Lyles, but we can't wait on guys anymore. Hayward, Favors and Gobert are ready to compete for the most part and Lindsey needs to give them the supporting cast to be able to do it.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#5 » by CAE15 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:32 am

Part of me really wants to go hard at Luol Deng but then I think. You can't not start Hood and Hayward. Deng as a sixth man? Perhaps. He just seems like the type of vet who would help settle this team tremendously. A legit back up center aswell. Someone who plays behind Rudy, so Favors doesn't shift over there all the time. Noah maybe? Defensive big who can pass. Could definitely spot start for Rudy if needed.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 am

stitches wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I'll kick this off:

Free agency:

Not bad idea, but Conley is probably not gettable. I want us to give a true stud short-term max. My idea has been max Batum for 2 years, but that might not be realistic(he might get longer max in FA). I don't know what Washington is thinking, I might try to pry away Beal from them. Other more realistic and cheaper options - Luol Deng, Eric Gordon, Crabbe, Jared Dudley.

Draft:

Yes, I love Luwawu at 12-13.The other option should be one of the multiple bigs at that range(I love the high upside ones - Skal, Maker. Marquese Chriss might be interesting 3/4 option. Korkmaz is another one I like...

Gobert/Favors/Withey
Favors/Lyles/Dudley
Hayward/Dudley/Ingles
Hood/Burks/Luwawu
Conley/Exum/Neto

Well, yes... hopefully next year will be better and less frustrating than this one.

I don't want Quin or Lindsey to leave! I want them to take accountability for their mistakes and I want to see Lindsey actually try to make this team successful in the off-season. I think the stage of the team relying exclusively on internal development should end right about now. Yes, we will need more internal development, mainly from Exum, Hood, Lyles, but we can't wait on guys anymore. Hayward, Favors and Gobert are ready to compete for the most part and Lindsey needs to give them the supporting cast to be able to do it.[/quote]

I agree Conley isn't realistic (likely). If he leaves Memphis I see us being really appealing, but I also don't think that our FO would sign him out of fear of stunting Exum's growth. I really want us to find a mentor for Dante that can teach him how to be a floor general and who will be able to hand off the torch after a couple years. Agree with the bulk of what you are saying.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#7 » by DiscoLives4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:07 am

Doesn't matter what I want, the front office will do almost nothing but claim they "signed a free agent" in getting Exum back. Maybe even claim Alec too.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#8 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:55 am

Haven't thought about who I want DL to go after. I just want to see DL be aggressive in free agency. Which sucks because this is the worst off season possibly ever to need to be aggressive. DL clearly misjudged the market, again. Last year is when vets should have been signed for deals worth more than they would normally have been paid. Any team that slightly overpaid last year is going to look like geniuses this offseason.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager

Post#9 » by DiscoLives4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:08 am

I want Kevin Durrant.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:39 am

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Trade Hayward and pick for top 3 pick or trade him and other assets for needed stud.

You are insane. Studs are just easily found out there. Especially ones that are better than Hayward...

Well if he is our stud then we can enjoy our current result this year every year.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#11 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:52 am

As much as I've complained this year, I don't think the right move is blow everything up and fire people. We're too invested at this point. It's not a sunk cost because this team has gone nowhere near it's full potential. This group is worth making another go, but there needs to be lots of improvement.

What should happen is a larger sense of urgency. Our opportunity for patience has run out, we have to perform now. DL needs to actively seek out helpful players instead of relying on internal growth. Quin needs to identify his mistakes and make sure they don't happen as often. Lastly, the players need to feel that urgency and understand the moment. As much grief as I've given Quin these past few weeks, it's not like he's instructing them to make dumb mistakes. Even though we're still young an inexperienced, it's not good enough to use that as an excuse anymore. It's time to start making winning plays and stop making boneheaded mistakes.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager

Post#12 » by DiscoLives4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:39 pm

When doe the team need to pick up Quin's 4th-year option? That will tell us a great deal about how the front office feels he is doing.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#13 » by red4hf » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 pm

If we didn't already have Lyles, I'd love to get Sabonis in the draft.......
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#14 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:31 pm

I know I sound like a broken record but what this team needs is to add a few more pieces to build quality depth. What I think we are missing is a small ball 4, another stretch big and a physical wing defender.

Available Small ball 4's

Jeff Green
Derrick Williams
Loul Deng
Marvin Williams
Mirza Teletovic
Ryan Anderson

Small 4's in the draft
Marquese Chriss
Ben Bentil
Nigel Hayes
Juan Hernangomez

Stretch bigs-
Jon Leuer
Meyers Leonard

Draft-
Kyle Wiltjer
Skal Labissiere( didn't play like a stretch big but he can really shoot the ball)
Henry Ellenson

Physical defensive wings-
Moe Harkless
KJ McDaniels ( trade )
NIc Batum

Draft-
Timothe Luwawu
Taurean Prince
Jaylen Brown
Wayne Seldan
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#15 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:40 pm

sipclip wrote:I know I sound like a broken record but what this team needs is to add a few more pieces to build quality depth. What I think we are missing is a small ball 4, another stretch big and a physical wing defender.

Available Small ball 4's

Jeff Green
Derrick Williams
Loul Deng
Marvin Williams
Mirza Teletovic
Ryan Anderson

Small 4's in the draft
Marquese Chriss
Ben Bentil
Nigel Hayes
Juan Hernangomez

Stretch bigs-
Jon Leuer
Meyers Leonard

Draft-
Kyle Wiltjer
Skal Labissiere( didn't play like a stretch big but he can really shoot the ball)
Henry Ellenson

Physical defensive wings-
Moe Harkless
KJ McDaniels ( trade )
NIc Batum

Draft-
Timothe Luwawu
Taurean Prince
Jaylen Brown
Wayne Seldan

Agree that we don't need to blow up team. It was depth that killed this team. A few good bench/role players and the Jazz would be in playoffs and would have "over achieved" this season. I would add that getting another good shooter for when Hood is cold and Burks is hurt would be nice.

Wish we would have never let Millsap walk. He was my favorite Jazz player when he was here and DL missed on that big time.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#16 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:03 pm

I would add James Johnson and Lance Thomas to the list of 3/4 types, and maybe even Wes Johnson, he's become a decent defender. I also think it's time to add a real veteran player, someone who's actually been in the league a long time. Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Tony Allen both have their limitations, but I would not mind having them on this roster instead of Chris Johnson. We could get them for cheap, maybe even for free. We've got to stop being a cast of rugrats and get some experience.

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to to the core guys. It's going to fall on them no matter who you put around them. We need to start playing smart and disciplined basketball now. There's no more time to wait and see, they need to start acting like pros and get the job done.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#17 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:08 pm

I personally don't think Millsap or Chris Johnson are nba caliber players. We definitely need to add one more wing though so we have enough depth to withstand injuries. Also adding Exum will be like adding another wing because of he is capable of playing multiple positions.
stitches
RealGM

Post#18 » by stitches » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:12 pm

sipclip wrote:I personally don't think Millsap or Chris Johnson are nba caliber players. We definitely need to add one more wing though so we have enough depth to withstand injuries. Also adding Exum will be like adding another wing because of he is capable of playing multiple positions.

I've come around to that conclusion as well. It's weird how those types of players win you over with hustle and heart, but the more you watch them, the more you realize how much skill trumps heart. This was just a brutal year for Johnson shooting-wise.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#19 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:14 pm

KqWIN wrote:I would add James Johnson and Lance Thomas to the list of 3/4 types, and maybe even Wes Johnson, he's become a decent defender. I also think it's time to add a real veteran player, someone who's actually been in the league a long time. Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Tony Allen both have their limitations, but I would not mind having them on this roster instead of Chris Johnson. We could get them for cheap, maybe even for free. We've got to stop being a cast of rugrats and get some experience.

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to to the core guys. It's going to fall on them no matter who you put around them. We need to start playing smart and disciplined basketball now. There's no more time to wait and see, they need to start acting like pros and get the job done.

I forgot about James Johnson. He is a player that I wouldn't mind adding and he is a solid defender. Lance Stephenson is another player that I forgot to add. He brings a toughness that I think this team could use.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#20 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:24 pm

stitches wrote:
sipclip wrote:I personally don't think Millsap or Chris Johnson are nba caliber players. We definitely need to add one more wing though so we have enough depth to withstand injuries. Also adding Exum will be like adding another wing because of he is capable of playing multiple positions.

I've come around to that conclusion as well. It's weird how those types of players win you over with hustle and heart, but the more you watch them, the more you realize how much skill trumps heart. This was just a brutal year for Johnson shooting-wise.

In this league if you don't do one thing extremely well then you need to be decent at multiple things and unfortunately for Johnson he isn't a good enough defender to make up for the fact that he is below average at everything else.

Return to Utah Jazz