Missed Opportunity

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Missed Opportunity 

Post#21 » by Daddy 801 » Sun May 1, 2016 2:14 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:I wonder where did you get the idea I said Chalmers or Udrih were better than Mack. But we know they were available earlier and for a decent price because we saw what it cost to get either.

The Jazz had a hole at PG all season long, and it was obvious that's going to be the case once Exum went down. The problem with the FO is that they did nothing. If they wanted Mack, they could have gotten him much sooner. There was no time in his career he wasn't available. Chalmers and Udrih are examples of solutions to the PG position that could have been had early into the season. Had the Jazz gotten a competent PG from the start or at least earlier in the year, then they would have been in a much better position to make the playoffs. Instead they waited until the last minute of the deadline to get Mack, who they could have gotten much earlier. They didn't, because they didn't commit to either course of action. Like you (?) said - they were cool making the playoffs and cool with missing it.

If you listen to Locke, and believe what he has said, this is actually not true. Locke said, and I have no reason not to believe him, that the deal for Mack was contingent on any trades for Teague or Schroeder. So, Mack wasn't available until any of the trades for those guys fell through. Hence the fact that it was the end of the trade deadline.

Could Locke have been lying? I guess, but he said this in passing in one of his discussions, so I find it's probably reliable.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#22 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun May 1, 2016 2:22 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I wonder where did you get the idea I said Chalmers or Udrih were better than Mack. But we know they were available earlier and for a decent price because we saw what it cost to get either.

The Jazz had a hole at PG all season long, and it was obvious that's going to be the case once Exum went down. The problem with the FO is that they did nothing. If they wanted Mack, they could have gotten him much sooner. There was no time in his career he wasn't available. Chalmers and Udrih are examples of solutions to the PG position that could have been had early into the season. Had the Jazz gotten a competent PG from the start or at least earlier in the year, then they would have been in a much better position to make the playoffs. Instead they waited until the last minute of the deadline to get Mack, who they could have gotten much earlier. They didn't, because they didn't commit to either course of action. Like you (?) said - they were cool making the playoffs and cool with missing it.

If you listen to Locke, and believe what he has said, this is actually not true. Locke said, and I have no reason not to believe him, that the deal for Mack was contingent on any trades for Teague or Schroeder. So, Mack wasn't available until any of the trades for those guys fell through. Hence the fact that it was the end of the trade deadline.

Could Locke have been lying? I guess, but he said this in passing in one of his discussions, so I find it's probably reliable.

Until he was traded to the Jazz, he played a total of 179 minutes this season. All of his career he was a 3rd string PG - those guys are always available.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#23 » by KqWIN » Sun May 1, 2016 2:35 am

You could argue that making the Mack trade when we did cost us the playoffs. Without Mack, we wouldn't have had that weird period where Quin was experimenting with 3 PG's. We actually had a worse record with him on board. Regardless, we should have been able to make the playoffs no matter who was in that spot. PG was a weak spot in the roster, but the roster (with injuries) was good enough to win more games. If we were just average in close games we win 6 more games.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#24 » by Daddy 801 » Sun May 1, 2016 2:39 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Until he was traded to the Jazz, he played a total of 179 minutes this season. All of his career he was a 3rd string PG - those guys are always available.

Well, if Atlanta wouldn't trade him until they knew what was happening with Teague or Schroeder than no he wasn't available.

If you're suggesting that the Jazz should have vastly overpaid for him then I guess your argument has some validity. But then we would have threads about how we overpaid for Mack.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#25 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun May 1, 2016 2:44 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Well, if Atlanta wouldn't trade him until they knew what was happening with Teague or Schroeder than no he wasn't available.

If you're suggesting that the Jazz should have vastly overpaid for him then I guess your argument has some validity. But then we would have threads about how we overpaid for Mack.

What's a vast over-payment - two 2nd round picks instead of one? C'mon...

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#26 » by Daddy 801 » Sun May 1, 2016 2:51 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

It's only speculation at this point. Maybe they would have done it for what you suggest. Maybe the Atlanta GM is a tough son of a bitch and said it had to be a first round draft pick?? I dunno, and you don't either. All we know is they apparently wanted to keep Mack until they knew what was going on. They had playoff aspirations at that point in the season and maybe the GM realized even an "overpay" of two seconds would screw them if they got a killer deal for Teague.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun May 1, 2016 2:56 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

It's only speculation at this point. Maybe they would have done it for what you suggest. Maybe the Atlanta GM is a tough son of a bitch and said it had to be a first round draft pick?? I dunno, and you don't either. All we know is they apparently wanted to keep Mack until they knew what was going on. They had playoff aspirations at that point in the season and maybe the GM realized even an "overpay" of two seconds would screw them if they got a killer deal for Teague.

They wouldn't have been screwed either way - they still had\have Hinrich and Hardaway Jr. who could split the minutes.

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#28 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun May 1, 2016 3:26 pm

eLo wrote:Facts are that blazers are making noise in play offs and we are in same placed that we where last year, justifying this with injurys is typical explanation for losers, lilard was also out for some time fortunately they have Cj, which we past for our super star in making trey burke that is :(

If you take a close look right behind those big green things, you might actually see the forest. The point isn't to justify anything because of injuries. The FACT is, that even had Utah made the playoffs, they would have likely been without Rudy, and Favors clearly was hobbled to the point of being a non-factor. So unless you really believe Utah could compete with ANYBODY, let alone the top teams in the west without those two players, this so-called missed opportunity is a myth, Curry or no Curry.

SoCalJazzFan wrote:They were healthy enough to take the Warriors to OT (a game that they should have won) and the Spurs down to the wire, in another game that they could have won, all within the last 2 weeks of the season. They were healthy enough to beat the Clipper bench, but didn't. They should have been the 8th seed, and that had nothing to do with injuries, and they could have been in a position to play Portland for the semifinals, which is a huge missed opportunity. If you are arguing a higher seed, then yes the injuries were impactful this season in that regard.

They wouldn't have been healthy going into the playoffs, so I don't see this huge missed opportunity. Favors and Gobert being down means 4 assbeatings and a lower draft pick.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#29 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon May 2, 2016 3:30 am

I find it fascinating that people label the Blazers "run" in the playoffs as "making noise".

They play a nearly completely gutted LA Clipper team in the first round and now they're getting crushed by a Curry-less Warriors team.

Not sure how this is making noise....
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#30 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 2, 2016 4:26 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I find it fascinating that people label the Blazers "run" in the playoffs as "making noise".

They play a nearly completely gutted LA Clipper team in the first round and now they're getting crushed by a Curry-less Warriors team.

The fact they are in the 2nd round and were supposed to be completely **** this year and we were supposed to be them right now...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#31 » by Daddy 801 » Mon May 2, 2016 12:50 pm

GobertReport wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I find it fascinating that people label the Blazers "run" in the playoffs as "making noise".

The fact they are in the 2nd round and were supposed to be completely **** this year and we were supposed to be them right now...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

With Burks, Exum, Gobert, and Favs all injured to some degree we wouldn't be making any damn noise. I'll take the higher pick and an offseason that's longer so guys can get healthy.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#32 » by sipclip » Mon May 2, 2016 2:56 pm

Some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining rather than look at reality. As people have already mentioned Rudy wouldn't be available for the playoffs and most likely Favors. Favors didn't look right after tweaking his knee and probably shouldn't even have been playing at all over those last bunch of games. It would have been nice to make the playoffs to watch a few more games but those games would have been ugly with Gobert and Favors injured.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#33 » by Daddy 801 » Mon May 2, 2016 4:30 pm

sipclip wrote:Some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining rather than look at reality. As people have already mentioned Rudy wouldn't be available for the playoffs and most likely Favors. Favors didn't look right after tweaking his knee and probably shouldn't even have been playing at all over those last bunch of games. It would have been nice to make the playoffs to watch a few more games but those games would have been ugly with Gobert and Favors injured.

Not to mention the pressure of Favs to play which easily could have resulted in him further injuring himself. No thanks.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#34 » by BarneyGumble » Mon May 2, 2016 4:50 pm

While I agree that the Jazz missed SEVERAL opportunities and have no real excuse that satisfies anyone as to why they missed the 8th seed this year I can't help but LOL at everyone in here who thinks our team could beat the Warriors sans-Curry. We'd still get swept.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#35 » by Daddy 801 » Mon May 2, 2016 5:24 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:While I agree that the Jazz missed SEVERAL opportunities and have no real excuse that satisfies anyone as to why they missed the 8th seed this year I can't help but LOL at everyone in here who thinks our team could beat the Warriors sans-Curry. We'd still get swept.

Maybe Klay goes cold and the Jazz get one. Maybe. As in maybe I'll meet a supermodel and marry her. Maybe.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#36 » by StocktonShorts » Mon May 2, 2016 8:24 pm

Very few young teams do well in their first playoff series. For that reason alone I really wanted the Jazz to make the playoffs this year so that next year they won't be going through everything for the first time. Even if they had been swept it would've been good for the players and coaching staff to have the experience.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#37 » by Daddy 801 » Mon May 2, 2016 9:45 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:Very few young teams do well in their first playoff series. For that reason alone I really wanted the Jazz to make the playoffs this year so that next year they won't be going through everything for the first time. Even if they had been swept it would've been good for the players and coaching staff to have the experience.

That's true. That's why I was hoping for playoffs down the stretch. I think I just got to my opinion of not caring once injuries were setting in even more than they had been.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#38 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 2, 2016 9:45 pm

The Jazz should have sat Rudy and Derrick and gone for a higher draft pick, but like always they screwed that up.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#39 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon May 2, 2016 10:13 pm

That last playoff appearance by the Jazz sure did wonders for our players.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#40 » by AingesBurner » Mon May 2, 2016 10:43 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:That last playoff appearance by the Jazz sure did wonders for our players.

It was good experience for the players we let go in FA and that experience allowed us to not get a lotto pick and lose out on Dame but it was worth the experience.
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz