2016 NBA Pre Draft Workouts

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: 2016 NBA Pre Draft Workouts 

Post#21 » by stitches » Wed May 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Is there a rule against just copy and pasting what someone's tweet says? Cause if there isn't I, as well as others I assume, would love if people could just do that. I don't have Twitter and clicking the link on my phone does nothing. Sorry to sound like a baby, it's just a lot of info is posted that way.

Sorry, it's a video of Maker shooting jumpers after the workout in Utah.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#23 » by Daddy 801 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:51 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Is there a rule against just copy and pasting what someone's tweet says? Cause if there isn't I, as well as others I assume, would love if people could just do that. I don't have Twitter and clicking the link on my phone does nothing. Sorry to sound like a baby, it's just a lot of info is posted that way.

It's all good. I wasn't calling you out. I just wasn't sure if the rules didn't allow people to put the direct link or direct text from a tweet in the board.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#24 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:

It's all good. I wasn't calling you out. I just wasn't sure if the rules didn't allow people to put the direct link or direct text from a tweet in the board.

It was glorious. You don't know what you're missing.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#25 » by Daddy 801 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:Sorry, it's a video of Maker shooting jumpers after the workout in Utah.

My guess is it looked like Bismack Biyombo(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) hitting jumpers in an empty gym.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#26 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

My guess is it looked like Bismack Biyombo(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) hitting jumpers in an empty gym.

Biyombo is a terrible comp for Maker.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#27 » by stitches » Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Some highlights from Walt Perrin(interesting to listen to):

About Maker:
-him and Paige did really well going through the workout having in mind they had a workout yesterday in New York for 25 teams.
-his body might need 2-3 years before he's ready, but Perrin said he can see a coach give him minutes because of his shooting/faceup game.
-he watched him play 2 years ago, he's gotten bigger, smarter and his shot is better than back then(IMO, all good signs that he's working and improving his game)
-offensively he's likely going to be a faceup player, rather than post up(because of body type), defensively he might have hard time with strong bigs, but he will probably be able to guard players on the perimeter - quick for his size and long.
-he's a very good athlete from baseline to baseline, average to above average athlete vertically(that's interesting because his testing suggest he's elite vertically)
-good rebounder(good numbers for his age group)
-about basketball IQ - he's a very smart player, picked up things easily, willing to learn. Probably didn't have great coaching so far. The learning curve might be really quick in terms of picking up things.

About Demetrius Jackson:
-good, strong, able to get to the basket, shot it well during drills, above average 3p shooting
-has a way to go defensively... "he's so strong though".

Marcus Paige:

-smart basketball player
-can play PG

I love pretty much everything I'm hearing about Maker. At this point I'm all in on taking him at 12.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 25, 2016 8:36 pm

Yep. Perrin seems to echo pretty much what I've been saying about him. Seems like a low risk - high reward pick to me.

Btw, can anyone enter the 1280thezone site? I can't--getting access denied message.

stitches
RealGM

Post#29 » by stitches » Wed May 25, 2016 8:40 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Yep. Perrin seems to echo pretty much what I've been saying about him. Seems like a low risk - high reward pick to me.

Btw, can anyone enter the 1280thezone site? I can't--getting access denied message.

Yep, I feel very similarly about him. Also - Maker compared himself to Kevin Garnett :) (I win this comparison, methinks)
about 1280 - I had the same problem, had to use VPN to get in.

Here's Maker's interview on the Jazz site:
http://www.nba.com/jazz/video/2016/05/25/1464206950406-maker_5.25.16.mov-546081/

Demetrius Jackson:
http://www.nba.com/jazz/video/teams/jazz/2016/05/25/1464206938491-jackson_5.25.16.mov-546079

Marcus Paige:
http://www.nba.com/jazz/video/teams/jazz/2016/05/25/1464206932089-paige_5.25.16.mov-546075

And here's Perrin's interview:
http://espn700sports.com/interviews/walt-perrin-utah-jazz-pre-draft-workouts-5-25-16/
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#30 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 25, 2016 8:56 pm

stitches wrote:Yep, I feel very similarly about him. Also - Maker compared himself to Kevin Garnett :) (I win this comparison, methinks)

I always try to avoid comparing players to HOF players and the greats, because people have the tendency to take it out of context and skew the argument to "he'll never be as good as KG" when what you've been trying to do was only to compare their style of play rather than their overall quality as players.

I can see a bit of KG-style in Maker though. The early KG who spent a lot of time on the perimeter, and then gradually changed to a more prototypical PF style of play. I can see the same trajectory with Maker when it comes to style of play. To me, I see more of a Porzingis in him with more focus on defense and worse shooting\range.

stitches
RealGM

Post#31 » by stitches » Wed May 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:Yep, I feel very similarly about him. Also - Maker compared himself to Kevin Garnett :) (I win this comparison, methinks)

I always try to avoid comparing players to HOF players and the greats, because people have the tendency to take it out of context and skew the argument to "he'll never be as good as KG" when what you've been trying to do was only to compare their style of play rather than their overall quality as players.

I can see a bit of KG-style in Maker though. The early KG who spent a lot of time on the perimeter, and then gradually changed to a more prototypical PF style of play. I can see the same trajectory with Maker when it comes to style of play. To me, I see more of a Porzingis in him with more focus on defense and worse shooting\range.

Yep, exactly... when I'm comparing players I'm comparing their styles usually, not saying they will reach that level. I don't think he will be as good as KG, but I think he can play similar hustle and hard-work game mixed in with good defense and nice faceup game.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#32 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Yep, exactly... when I'm comparing players I'm comparing their styles usually, not saying they will reach that level. I don't think he will be as good as KG, but I think he can play similar hustle and hard-work game mixed in with good defense and nice faceup game.

Watching it now. Got to say, he interviews well.

stitches
RealGM

Post#33 » by stitches » Wed May 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Watching it now. Got to say, he interviews well.

Yes, he does, that's something people were saying at the combine too(he interviewed well with teams)... Paige does too.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#34 » by KqWIN » Wed May 25, 2016 9:21 pm

We all knew he would interview well, but nice to see that he got some good reports on his game. Perrin isn't opposed to giving guys some public criticism. As far as Thon comparing himself to KG, I'm sure Malik Pope compares himself to Kevin Durant :-P
stitches
RealGM

Post#35 » by stitches » Wed May 25, 2016 9:53 pm

KqWIN wrote:We all knew he would interview well, but nice to see that he got some good reports on his game. Perrin isn't opposed to giving guys some public criticism. As far as Thon comparing himself to KG, I'm sure Malik Pope compares himself to Kevin Durant :-P

I like Pope, as well. :oops: I like him in the second, but I yah... I'd be really happy if we leave the draft with Pope and Maker.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#36 » by KqWIN » Wed May 25, 2016 10:01 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:We all knew he would interview well, but nice to see that he got some good reports on his game. Perrin isn't opposed to giving guys some public criticism. As far as Thon comparing himself to KG, I'm sure Malik Pope compares himself to Kevin Durant :-P

I like Pope, as well. :oops: I like him in the second, but I yah... I'd be really happy if we leave the draft with Pope and Maker.

Just giving you a hard time! He kinda reminds me of Gorgui Dieng (not just because they look similar).

Baldwin - Zagorac - Slavica ...That's the draft.

#MakeUtahGreatAgain
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#37 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Dieng can't put the ball on the floor like Maker, and Maker probably has better range as well.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#38 » by KqWIN » Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Dieng can't put the ball on the floor like Maker, and Maker probably has better range as well.

I think Maker will use his ball handling skills the same amount as Dieng, zero. We'll see about the range. Dieng is a knockdown mid range shooter.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#39 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 am

I'm all for taking Maker as a project that could pay out big or bust but I'm not down for taking him at #12. If you want him, I think you have to trade back and maximize your assets.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#40 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 26, 2016 1:18 am

I would love it if we could draft Jaylen Brown, he seems like a good kid.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz