The Utah Jazz Summer League Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: The Utah Jazz Summer League Thread 

Post#121 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:43 pm

On the brightside, I'm shocked that Trey Lyles can shoot the ball this well after seeing him one year ago at the same event. He could be the most reliable shooter on the team next year.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#122 » by sipclip » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:48 pm

KqWIN wrote:On the brightside, I'm shocked that Trey Lyles can shoot the ball this well after seeing him one year ago at the same event. He could be the most reliable shooter on the team next year.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he is our best shooter this year. If he continues to put in the work that he put in last year on his jumper then he could be one of the best shooters in the nba in the very near future.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#123 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 pm

With a deeper roster next season, he should get good, quality looks. Nice to see him continue to improve his shot.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#124 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:39 am

Anybody got the skinny on this kid Butterfield? Watched a lot of B-Ball over the years and never seen anyone execute the last second two makes and a perfectly placed shot off the side of the rim for a tip in, like this kid. That ball was intentionally placed off the back iron, on the Lyles side, so he'd have that opportunity. Very, very difficult play to pull off. Even before he shot the ball Isaiah Thomas was talking about exactly that same scenario - ball should be placed off to the side where Lyles could go up and tip it.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#125 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:46 am

Stern Fixer wrote:Anybody got the skinny on this kid Butterfield? Watched a lot of B-Ball over the years and never seen anyone execute the last second two makes and a perfectly placed shot off the side of the rim for a tip in, like this kid. That ball was intentionally placed off the back iron, on the Lyles side, so he'd have that opportunity. Very, very difficult play to pull off. Even before he shot the ball Isaiah Thomas was talking about exactly that same scenario - ball should be placed off to the side where Lyles could go up and tip it.

I know he had about 2,000 receiving yards in high school and was all-MWC both years at Utah State.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#126 » by dr0welf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:15 am

Butterfield is a great shooter played last year overseas as he failed to land on a team. Biggest knock is he is undersized, but I don't think it is a big deal. He's a confident shooter and has high basketball IQ. I would like to see him get a shot to make the team, but I doubt he will get that opportunity.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#127 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:56 am

Thanks for the rundown fellas, and yeah I agree, somebody needs to give this kid a shot. I mean we decide to go for the win and leave all of our rooks on the bench in the OT (Bolomboy came out for the sudden death jump ball). But if I gave Paige and Wallace a snowballs chance before, I gotta think it's a big zero now, based on that alone. Coach almost looked like a frickin genius too!!!
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#128 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 am

FWIW only 6 players taken in the lottery this year were younger than Lyles. Trey has been one of the six or seven best summer league players with Devin Booker, James Anderson, Kris Dunn, Terry Rozier, D'Angelo Russell and Kyle Anderson. Out of that group none has been better offensively and only Booker is younger. That's a big deal.

Also I love Pat Connaughton. Dude is tough as hell.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#129 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:55 am

babyjax13 wrote:FWIW only 6 players taken in the lottery this year were younger than Lyles. Trey has been one of the six or seven best summer league players with Devin Booker, James Anderson, Kris Dunn, Terry Rozier, D'Angelo Russell and Kyle Anderson. Out of that group none has been better offensively and only Booker is younger. That's a big deal.

FWIW I love Pat Connaughton. Dude is tough as hell.

Good points! I was all over Pat as a 2nd round pick last year. Then he got taken right before the Jazz got their chance.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#130 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:10 am

I've literally never anything like that before in a game. Amazing play. And I'm kind of a fan of the sudden death double OT. Makes it very intense.

As great as Lyles has been offensively, his assists are somewhat concerning to me if we're labeling him as a "play making 4". I'd really like to see him try and get the other players more involved in the offense and help them become better. I think that's the next step in his development. He's made himself great, now let's see if he can elevate those around him.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#131 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:19 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I've literally never anything like that before in a game. Amazing play. And I'm kind of a fan of the sudden death double OT. Makes it very intense.

As great as Lyles has been offensively, his assists are somewhat concerning to me if we're labeling him as a "play making 4". I'd really like to see him try and get the other players more involved in the offense and help them become better. I think that's the next step in his development. He's made himself great, now let's see if he can elevate those around him.

I think we saw him move the ball really well during the NBA season. He's clearly gotten a little frustrated playing with less talented players. How many times can Quincy Ford bobble an easy pass? I kind of like that fire and obsession to be great...gives me hope that he can become an elite scorer. I really think he has the potential to be the best scorer on the Jazz at some point, he just does a lot of things most 4s can't do. But he has a long way to go to get there and to stay on the court long enough to have that kind of offensive impact.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#132 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Winglish wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:FWIW only 6 players taken in the lottery this year were younger than Lyles. Trey has been one of the six or seven best summer league players with Devin Booker, James Anderson, Kris Dunn, Terry Rozier, D'Angelo Russell and Kyle Anderson. Out of that group none has been better offensively and only Booker is younger. That's a big deal.

FWIW I love Pat Connaughton. Dude is tough as hell.

Good points! I was all over Pat as a 2nd round pick last year. Then he got taken right before the Jazz got their chance.

Good eye. I didn't register him up until now. I like him.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#133 » by stitches » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:50 am

I'm done with Pleiss... he's useless.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#134 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:28 am

stitches wrote:I'm done with Pleiss... he's useless.

He is the perfect example of why they need to expand rosters to include the D League. Let teams make mistakes signing players, yet keep their contracts guaranteed and have them play for the D League team.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#135 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:22 am

Didn't watch the game. Can anyone shed some light on Pleiss? Did he have a bad 20+8 game?

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#136 » by stitches » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:35 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Didn't watch the game. Can anyone shed some light on Pleiss? Did he have a bad 20+8 game?

When I said it he was fumbling balls, fouling and-1 on every second possession. Looked out of sorts. Then he scored 10 in the 4th with us leading by 20...
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#137 » by dr0welf » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Pleiss's shot was falling regularly for the first time in summer league. He even had some hustle to him. I actually saw him dive on the ground after a loose ball. So much better effort. I still think Tobey played a better game outside the shooting. If Pleiss can move his feet instead of watching the play around him , he would do much better on defense.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#138 » by tski1972 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:30 pm

is there a reason Treveon Graham didn't play last night?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#139 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:46 pm

stitches wrote:I'm done with Pleiss... he's useless.

Completely agree. When he's not hitting his shots (which doesn't happen consistently or often) he's horribly useless.

He can't rebound to save his life. How many times have our point guards beat him out for a rebound? He can't defend on the perimeter at all. Even with his length, when he gets beat it's over since he can't elevate for the block. He gets bullied inside by players much smaller than him. He's a poor low post scorer, even against much smaller players since he lacks the strength to back them down. His rolls off the pick and roll are weak and he often turns the ball over via fumbled passes or putting the ball down too low on the catch. He doesn't provide any rim protection since he can't elevate and seems to never get his arms straight up to contest. Not a good passer within the offense....

I could go on and on about how bad he's been. Very disappointing. Even his scoring outburst in the 4th last night left me so unimpressed.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#140 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:53 pm

What frustrates me regarding Pleiss is that he didn't get many chances to show if he can or can't play with the team. He's supposed to be a guy with good touch around the basket and range on his shot, but we never used him that way and when he played with the Jazz he was mostly ignored even in the few minutes he did get. It's hard for me to pass judgement on him with the data we have on him at this point, and I wish he'd get the opportunity to show what he can do, for better or worse.

Return to Utah Jazz