Pursue Russell Westbrook (or Kevin Love)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Re: Pursue Russell Westbrook (or Kevin Love) 

Post#21 » by Luigi » Tue Jul 5, 2016 1:07 am

Wolverine wrote:I think Bogut is the most realistic target here. Warriors may be looking to dump him.

EDITED:
Ok too slow, Dallas got him. Wouldve been a great big off the bench at 10mil

Bogut spends way too much time injured. He's either prone or cursed. I'm not really interested.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 5, 2016 2:10 am

I'd love to see DWade on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
noneyadb
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#23 » by noneyadb » Tue Jul 5, 2016 7:34 am

KDBG wrote:If we did have to give up one of Favors or Hayward, who would you give up? Hayward is our best player at the moment, but Westbrook would make Favors a star. He would easily average over 20 a game.

Easy, Hayward and Exum for Westbrook. That's likely better than anything else OKC will receive, and it still leaves the Jazz with a very competitive roster.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Pursue Russell Westbrook (or Kevin Love) 

Post#24 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 5, 2016 11:34 am

noneyadb wrote:
KDBG wrote:If we did have to give up one of Favors or Hayward, who would you give up? Hayward is our best player at the moment, but Westbrook would make Favors a star. He would easily average over 20 a game.

Easy, Hayward and Exum for Westbrook. That's likely better than anything else OKC will receive, and it still leaves the Jazz with a very competitive roster.

I don't think they will want Hayward because of contract, I think Hood, Lyles, rights to all foreign players, and a bunch of firsts gets it done.

Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#25 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 5, 2016 1:57 pm

I'm all for going after Westbrook, provided an assurance he'll resign, which is something you find out before you trade for him. As the Ibaka trade showed, Presti is pretty good at getting good value in trades even when what he's giving up is a one year rental. He'll know how to get the most out of Westbrook, or at the very least, he won't be shellacked.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#26 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 5, 2016 4:34 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I'm all for going after Westbrook, provided an assurance he'll resign, which is something you find out before you trade for him. As the Ibaka trade showed, Presti is pretty good at getting good value in trades even when what he's giving up is a one year rental. He'll know how to get the most out of Westbrook, or at the very least, he won't be shellacked.

I just hope Lindsey has the balls to try and make a trade for Westbrook and he doesnt puss out like KOC did when Harden was available.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 5, 2016 4:48 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Who are we going trade then, Exum? :lol: The Jazz have zero shot at getting Westbrook. If Westbrook gets moved, it's going to be younger pieces with more upside. Boston, LAL, and Philly could blow us out of the water with those types of assets.

What about all those years the Jazz were in "asset collection" mode? I guess it was another front office line.

I'll echo what Luigi (and myself) said before: we can't keep all of our players, so we may as well trade them while we can get the most for them. Now that OKC may be imploding we can't say there isn't a superstar available to be traded. All those assets we were supposedly collecting should count for something, or this is a FO fail and a sell job of knowingly building a mediocre future under false pretenses. We wanted assets so we can pounce on a Harden-type deal. Well, now is the time.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#28 » by KDBG » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:12 pm

noneyadb wrote:

A starting lineup of Gobert/Favors/J.Johnson/Hood/Westbrook with Lyles/Burks/Hill off the bench is more than capable of being a contender in the west.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#29 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:12 pm

UTA out: Gordon Hayward, Rodney Hood, Trey Lyles, GSW 1st, 2017 Utah 1st, 2019 Utah 1st, and OKC 1st back.
UTA In: Westbrook, Amir Johnson, and Jae Crowder

OKC out: Russ
OKC in: Smart, Lyles, Hood, BKN 2017 swap, GSW 1st, OKC 1st back, and 2019 Utah 1st.

Boston out: Johnson, Smart, Crowder, and BKN 2017 Swap
Boston in: Gordon Hayward and 2017 Utah 1st.
Ingles is cooked.
KDBG
Starter

Post#30 » by KDBG » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:15 pm

GobertReport wrote:
noneyadb wrote:

I don't think they will want Hayward because of contract, I think Hood, Lyles, rights to all foreign players, and a bunch of firsts gets it done.

I think they might ask for Exum too. Hood, Lyles, Exum, 2017, and 2019 unprotected 1sts is what I would think they would ask for.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#31 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:23 pm

KDBG wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
noneyadb wrote:

I think they might ask for Exum too. Hood, Lyles, Exum, 2017, and 2019 unprotected 1sts is what I would think they would ask for.

I wouldn't do it, they are going to be in a buyers market knowing that Russ might leave them.
Ingles is cooked.
KDBG
Starter

Post#32 » by KDBG » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:34 pm

GobertReport wrote:
KDBG wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I wouldn't do it, they are going to be in a buyers market knowing that Russ might leave them.

I just think Boston with 2 Nets 1sts and young players would trump our offer if we didn't add Exum.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#33 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:42 pm

KDBG wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
KDBG wrote:I think they might ask for Exum too. Hood, Lyles, Exum, 2017, and 2019 unprotected 1sts is what I would think they would ask for.

I just think Boston with 2 Nets 1sts and young players would trump our offer if we didn't add Exum.

But what young players do they have are better than Hood, Burks, and Lyles.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#34 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:50 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Who are we going trade then, Exum? :lol: The Jazz have zero shot at getting Westbrook. If Westbrook gets moved, it's going to be younger pieces with more upside. Boston, LAL, and Philly could blow us out of the water with those types of assets.

What about all those years the Jazz were in "asset collection" mode? I guess it was another front office line.

I'll echo what Luigi (and myself) said before: we can't keep all of our players, so we may as well trade them while we can get the most for them. Now that OKC may be imploding we can't say there isn't a superstar available to be traded. All those assets we were supposedly collecting should count for something, or this is a FO fail and a sell job of knowingly building a mediocre future under false pretenses. We wanted assets so we can pounce on a Harden-type deal. Well, now is the time.

I'm just saying that OKC has way more reason to believe that they can resign Westbrook than Utah. It's a contradiction to say that it's a good risk for us, but then also say that OKC should trade him because the risk is too high. I'm all for getting Westbrook, but we don't have a trade for them.

Hayward and Favors aren't that much younger than Westbrook, so why would it make sense for them to swap their star situation with us? There's two sides to a trade. The same reasons we want Westbrook is the same reasons why they want to keep him. Lot's of people around here like to bring up the point that you can't win a championship without a superstar, and complain that the Jazz have no one on their team that is or can be a superstar. Not saying that there's anything wrong with that line of thinking, but Russell Westbrook is a bonafide elite superstar, so why would they trade him for a bunch of assets that won't turn into superstars? Some people would go as far as to say that our best players are just perpetuating our mediocrity, and since we won't win a championship it's just a complete time waste. Why would the Thunder want to move on from Westbrook if that's the case?

All I'm saying is that we don't have the right pieces to trade for Westbrook. If you can get Westbrook, you get him, but I don't think that's a real option for us. Maybe we can use a third team to swing a deal, but it's still highly unlikely. If the whole goal is to have a superstar, OKC's best plan of action is to take their chances on Westbrook, or move him for very young players and draft picks.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#35 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:58 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

I'm just saying that OKC has way more reason to believe that they can resign Westbrook than Utah. It's a contradiction to say that it's a good risk for us, but then also say that OKC should trade him because the risk is too high. I'm all for getting Westbrook, but we don't have a trade for them.

Hayward and Favors aren't that much younger than Westbrook, so why would it make sense for them to swap their star situation with us? There's two sides to a trade. The same reasons we want Westbrook is the same reasons why they want to keep him. Lot's of people around here like to bring up the point that you can't win a championship without a superstar, and complain that the Jazz have no one on their team that is or can be a superstar. Not saying that there's anything wrong with that line of thinking, but Russell Westbrook is a bonafide elite superstar, so why would they trade him for a bunch of assets that won't turn into superstars? Some people would go as far as to say that our best players are just perpetuating our mediocrity, and since we won't win a championship it's just a complete time waste. Why would the Thunder want to move on from Westbrook if that's the case?

All I'm saying is that we don't have the right pieces to trade for Westbrook. If you can get Westbrook, you get him, but I don't think that's a real option for us. Maybe we can use a third team to swing a deal, but it's still highly unlikely. If the whole goal is to have a superstar, OKC's best plan of action is to take their chances on Westbrook, or move him for very young players and draft picks.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I just used your post about how the Jazz don't have the pieces to bring up the point that the whole "asset collection" mode was a way to delude the fans to give the team more time to operate with less pressure. If all our assets aren't good enough for other team to send us a superstar in return (like you said, why should they?) then all those years of collecting our assets were either a failure or a red herring, likely both.

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#36 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Jul 5, 2016 11:38 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I just used your post about how the Jazz don't have the pieces to bring up the point that the whole "asset collection" mode was a way to delude the fans to give the team more time to operate with less pressure. If all our assets aren't good enough for other team to send us a superstar in return (like you said, why should they?) then all those years of collecting our assets were either a failure or a red herring, likely both.

I get what you're saying, and I agree, but we shouldn't trade for any superstar. And the whole sum of the assets that a team collects during asset accumulation could end up being better than one superstar. I'm just speaking more or less in a vacuum, not our specific situation.

A star on a one year deal is not that great of a deal. And Love is considered a star and I don't think I would want him of it meant giving up our "horrible" non stars like Favs.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#37 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 5, 2016 11:46 pm

That's why I said you find out first if he's willing to resign before you make the trade. And I don't think anyone ever called Favors "horrible" non star, though I'd argue that Love fits much better with this team. Better offensive player by a mile, can shoot from anywhere, better rebounder, and a far superior passer. Favor's defense is better of course, but Love fits this team quite well, and he's locked for at least 3 more years. In fact, with the salary cap rise, Favors' next deal might make him cost more per year than Love, and let's not forget he already gave the Jazz a home discount once and may not want to do it again.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#38 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jul 6, 2016 1:45 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:That's why I said you find out first if he's willing to resign before you make the trade. And I don't think anyone ever called Favors "horrible" non star, though I'd argue that Love fits much better with this team. Better offensive player by a mile, can shoot from anywhere, better rebounder, and a far superior passer. Favor's defense is better of course, but Love fits this team quite well, and he's locked for at least 3 more years. In fact, with the salary cap rise, Favors' next deal might make him cost more per year than Love, and let's not forget he already gave the Jazz a home discount once and may not want to do it again.

True but Lyles is looking like a stud, granted its summer league but if he can keep that up, Favors is probably traded.
Ingles is cooked.
noneyadb
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#39 » by noneyadb » Wed Jul 6, 2016 5:22 am

GobertReport wrote:
KDBG wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

If the Jazz offer Hood, Lyles, and Burks than the FO should all be fired. That is ridiculous to give up their depth for a very possible one year rental.
KDBG
Starter

Post#40 » by KDBG » Wed Jul 6, 2016 3:57 pm

noneyadb wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
KDBG wrote:I just think Boston with 2 Nets 1sts and young players would trump our offer if we didn't add Exum.

If the Jazz offer Hood, Lyles, and Burks than the FO should all be fired. That is ridiculous to give up their depth for a very possible one year rental.

The Jazz front office should be fired if they don't offer that for a top 5 player in the world, even for a one year rental.

Return to Utah Jazz