Gobert, Diaw in the Olympics

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: Gobert, Diaw in the Olympics 

Post#21 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:19 am

Stern Fixer wrote:Don't know if you saw the interview with Boler and Booner at the Utah Summer League, but he did say he'd just gotten back from Santa Barbara where he had been weight training and working on some moves (Boler then coaxed a hook shot admission out of him). Supposedly put on ten pounds of muscle in the process. He said he would be returning to France imminently and gave the impression he would be playing in the Olympic games if France made it in. I gotta think that with Portugal winning the Euro Cup, French Olympic fervor will be greater than ever.

Personally, though I am concerned about injury with a guy that favors Sam Bowie in the physique dept., I'll be excited to see him compete with the team. Because a) I expect his role on the team to be expanded, and b) there is no amount of training that will prepare him for the rigors of the NBA like being in the trenches fighting for the collective life of France in the games. I think a more prominent role on the team paired with a deep run in the games (very possible) would do wonders for his confidence.

Haven't seen the interview, thanks for the summary. Every season Gobert says he's working on offensive moves. I believe him, but for whatever reason, we see none of it in games. I do think you make a good point about the health thing, in which having a healthy Gobert thanks to preventive work probably outweighs an injured Gobert with one half of an offensive move.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#22 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:Don't know if you saw the interview with Boler and Booner at the Utah Summer League, but he did say he'd just gotten back from Santa Barbara where he had been weight training and working on some moves (Boler then coaxed a hook shot admission out of him). Supposedly put on ten pounds of muscle in the process. He said he would be returning to France imminently and gave the impression he would be playing in the Olympic games if France made it in. I gotta think that with Portugal winning the Euro Cup, French Olympic fervor will be greater than ever.

Personally, though I am concerned about injury with a guy that favors Sam Bowie in the physique dept., I'll be excited to see him compete with the team. Because a) I expect his role on the team to be expanded, and b) there is no amount of training that will prepare him for the rigors of the NBA like being in the trenches fighting for the collective life of France in the games. I think a more prominent role on the team paired with a deep run in the games (very possible) would do wonders for his confidence.

Haven't seen the interview, thanks for the summary. Every season Gobert says he's working on offensive moves. I believe him, but for whatever reason, we see none of it in games. I do think you make a good point about the health thing, in which having a healthy Gobert thanks to preventive work probably outweighs an injured Gobert with one half of an offensive move.

I would be super happy with a hook shot move. But if he can just get stronger and establish the post he should be able to just keep the ball above his head, turn around, and dunk the damn ball.

The thing that drives me the absolute most insane about Rudy is his unwillingness to turn around when he is the top of the key and look for a pass. He always waits for Hayward/Hood for the handoff. The players have zero incentive to make a hard cut when Rudy has it because he won't turn around. He needs to watch a bajillion hours of the Gasol brothers or any other adequate passing big man. Dear lord let Boris be a good teacher.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:43 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I would be super happy with a hook shot move. But if he can just get stronger and establish the post he should be able to just keep the ball above his head, turn around, and dunk the damn ball.

The thing that drives me the absolute most insane about Rudy is his unwillingness to turn around when he is the top of the key and look for a pass. He always waits for Hayward/Hood for the handoff. The players have zero incentive to make a hard cut when Rudy has it because he won't turn around. He needs to watch a bajillion hours of the Gasol brothers or any other adequate passing big man. Dear lord let Boris be a good teacher.

That only works when he's in arm's reach of the rim. What happens in the other 90% of the times when he's further away? The answer so far has been: nothing. And that's why he needs at least one go-to move.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#24 » by TO11 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:58 am

If Gobert can learn to catch the ball, I know this is a stretch guys, but two hands on the ball...that's all I am asking. Maybe someone can go throw a football (american football) around with him...
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#25 » by tleikheen » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:00 am

That only works when he's in arm's reach of the rim. What happens in the other 90% of the times when he's further away? The answer so far has been: nothing. And that's why he needs at least one go-to move.

He's got a go to move and I'm sure Gobert and Exum are going to work his pet move over and over this year ....roll to the basket for Exum lobs and bounce passes
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#26 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:00 am

TO11 wrote:If Gobert can learn to catch the ball, I know this is a stretch guys, but two hands on the ball...that's all I am asking. Maybe someone can go throw a football (american football) around with him...

Let's say I wave my magic wand and now he can catch the ball. What can he do with it currently?

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:04 am

tleikheen wrote:

He's got a go to move and I'm sure Gobert and Exum are going to work his pet move over and over this year ....roll to the basket for Exum lobs and bounce passes

That's great and I hope we see plenty of it, but I'm talking about a move he can do to create for himself a basket and not be dependent on others to set him up. What happens when he isn't in dunk range? So far he's been negated.

tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#28 » by tleikheen » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:19 am

hat's great and I hope we see plenty of it, but I'm talking about a move he can do to create for himself a basket and not be dependent on others to set him up. What happens when he isn't in dunk range? So far he's been negated.

If he can get 1 more dunk a game and avg 11/12 ppg and garner 1 more/2 more rpg to 12 1/2 /13 which he can easily do if Exum ups the pace and Jazz don't finish near the bottom of the NBA in points scored again he will be doing his job very well.Gobert is starting because he has a chance to be DPOY every year.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#29 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:31 am

tleikheen wrote:
hat's great and I hope we see plenty of it, but I'm talking about a move he can do to create for himself a basket and not be dependent on others to set him up. What happens when he isn't in dunk range? So far he's been negated.

If he can get 1 more dunk a game and avg 11/12 ppg and garner 1 more/2 more rpg to 12 1/2 /13 which he can easily do if Exum ups the pace and Jazz don't finish near the bottom of the NBA in points scored again he will be doing his job very well.Gobert is starting because he has a chance to be DPOY every year.

No complaints about his defense. But show some improvement on the other end after 3 seasons, if you please. Averaging 11-12ppg is very achievable, though I wonder if it will happen now that Alec and Exum are back, Lyles continues to grow, and the addition of Hill, JJ and Diaw. There is only one basketball.

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#30 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:11 am

What kind of moves are we talking about here? Steven Adams has very good hooks and pivots around the basket, but all of his scoring is dependent on offensive rebounds and his teammates. If that's the case, I agree. If we're talking about Rudy creating offense on his own and not being dependent on teammates I completely disagree. There's no point, he's already awful at it and he would have to become elite at it in order to justify taking away possessions from his teammates. Rudy needs to get better at finishing plays, not creating them.

The only "creating" I would try to develop in his game is the short roll. The defense is going to let him catch the ball at the free throw line with no one around him. He needs to be able to take one dribble and either dunk the ball or find a teammate with a pass.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#31 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:58 am

As long as he can't make defenses pay for slacking off him when he can't dunk, or when they let guards defend him on switches and he can't do a thing about it, I'd say he needs to improve his offense to a point where he can be a threat to score at such situations and not only be a fake threat. Strength alone will not solve this issue--he has to improve his skill level, from awful to competent.

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#32 » by dautjazz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:37 pm

Got to tip your hat off to Tony Parker, it seems like every summer he plays in international competition, and he plays 2-4 rounds of playoffs every year as well. There aren't a lot of guys like that in the NBA.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#33 » by Stern Fixer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:41 pm

dautjazz wrote:Got to tip your hat off to Tony Parker, it seems like every summer he plays in international competition, and he plays 2-4 rounds of playoffs every year as well. There aren't a lot of guys like that in the NBA.

I know, don't know how he finds the time or energy to chase skirt but he's got a rep for that as well (just ask Eva). Helluva playa one way or the other, gotta give the guy his props.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#34 » by DiscoLives4ever » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:39 pm

Rudy just tweeted that he is definitely playing in Rio
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#35 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Rudy Gobert has confirmed he will play for France in Rio.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/rudygobert27/status/752611321619685377[/tweet]
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#36 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Hope he stays healthy. Don't need another Exum-type injury.

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#37 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:21 pm

If Gobert gets hurt you can find me at Big Willies on Main Street and 1700 south drinking whiskey and holding back the tears. Last year was brutal to watch knowing if we had Exum so many of those instances where we were getting torched by a PG would not have happened.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#38 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:If Gobert gets hurt you can find me at Big Willies on Main Street and 1700 south drinking whiskey and holding back the tears. Last year was brutal to watch knowing if we had Exum so many of those instances where we were getting torched by a PG would not have happened.

I hear you, brother. The Jazz do tend to make one contemplate alcoholism from time to time. :party:

TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#39 » by TO11 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:57 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
TO11 wrote:If Gobert can learn to catch the ball, I know this is a stretch guys, but two hands on the ball...that's all I am asking. Maybe someone can go throw a football (american football) around with him...

Let's say I wave my magic wand and now he can catch the ball. What can he do with it currently?

Honestly if he learns to catch the ball/hold on to the ball (I guess they are two separate things) there isn't really any "post-moves" he has to learn. With his size and length he just need to go back up with it. If he can keep possession he will get more repetition and teammates will be more comfortable giving him the ball which will lead to an increase in his offense. Is he gonna be good offensively? Probably not, but at this point if he can just take advantage of some of the playmaking ability of the other players I think that will be enough on the offensive end. Maybe my expectations are a little too low...
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#40 » by pickIBL » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Gobert is going to be dependent on a pg offensively. Hopefully we see a baby hook in the future but having today's version of Mutombo is ok in my book.

It hasn't been mentioned that Diaw playing this summer is probably a good thing. You do have the injury risk, but I think the gordito risk is greater
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL

Return to Utah Jazz