NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#321 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:29 pm

IIRC there was a table\graph\chart a while back that shows a very strong correlations between allstar appearances and high draft picks.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#322 » by KqWIN » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:05 pm

IIRC, there are about 1-2 players that are good from 15-30. Half of those players are out of/hanging onto the league by the end of their rookie deals. The rest are just ok. Getting a rotation player outside the lottery is gold.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#323 » by KqWIN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 am

Harry Giles moves so well for a big man. He reminds me of...Derrick Favors.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#324 » by sipclip » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:The more I look into this draft, the more I'm realizing that it's not as deep as advertised. I think there's a pretty big drop-off after the top 10.

And I honestly don't think the guys we'll want will be there at 24 and 29. I think we'll have to try to make a move up or settle for selling the picks.

This draft is looking even deeper than advertised as the season has gone on. Superstar talent at the top and solid role players into the mod 2nd rd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#325 » by sipclip » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 am

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:Meh, I like players well into the 20s.

Who is your undervalued player that scouts have it wrong about this year stitches?

Bam Adebayo. I think he's at the very least a Capela type. He's projected in the 20s right now. Same with Harry Giles. See how different Exum looks now compared to in the beginning of the season? I think there is a real chance Giles gets back most of his athleticism and confidence with time. If he's cleared by our medical staff, I'd be OK trading both picks to get him.

For me it is Bam and TJ Leaf if he ends up even close to where he is predicted at draftexpress. I also love what I have seen from Donovan Mitchell and not having Dillon Brooks as a 1st rd pick seems crazy to me.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#326 » by KqWIN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 am

BTW, for all the Kennard lovers (including myself). It's hard to overstate how bad of a defender he is. South Carolina put a big fat target on him and attacked every chance they got. He isn't a guy who's bad but tries hard. He's a guy that's bad and also has bad effort.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#327 » by stitches » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I just watched Michigan State vs Kansas. Bridges and Jackson were both very very good. I still like Svi. He plays the game right.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#328 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

KqWIN wrote:BTW, for all the Kennard lovers (including myself). It's hard to overstate how bad of a defender he is. South Carolina put a big fat target on him and attacked every chance they got. He isn't a guy who's bad but tries hard. He's a guy that's bad and also has bad effort.

I prefer Grayson Allen over him by a lot. I don't think Kennard has the physical profile or athletic ability to make it work in the NBA. And like you said, he's horrible on defense.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
stitches
RealGM

Post#329 » by stitches » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Read on Twitter

stitches
RealGM

Post#330 » by stitches » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245407/Michael-Porter-Jr-Commits-To-Missouri

Michael Porter Jr. Commits To Missouri
Mar 24, 2017 5:12 PM

Michael Porter Jr. will attend Missouri for his freshman season.

Porter had previously signed with Washington but asked for his release after they fired Lorenzo Romar as head coach and his father as assistant coach.

Porter is the top recruit in the incoming class of 2017 and is widely expected to be the top pick in the 2018 NBA Draft.

Porter played his final season of high school basketball for Nathan Hale High School in Seattle where he was coached by Brandon Roy.

Missouri hired Cuonzo Martin this month.

"Last week everything changed for me regarding my college basketball decision. Realizing I would no longer have the opportunity to play for Coach Romar, I've taken the past seven days to give great consideration to my future.

"After a lot of thought, prayer, and talking with my family, I'm excited to announce that next year I will be attending the University of Missouri!

"I'm looking forward to the year ahead with Coach Cuonzo and my new teammates... Together we hope to restore the atmosphere at Mizzou Arena."
stitches
RealGM

Post#331 » by stitches » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Fox has a good head on his shoulders. He seems like a very smart and competitive kid... and that's in addition to having some good handle and aggressiveness that remind me of Westbrook. That was second time this year he outplays the crush of NBA draftniks. He pretty much exposed everything that Ball will have problem with in the league - no shot off the dribble, bricks under pressure (i.e. weird release will probably be a problem with NBA defenses. He will need space to get this one off).

There is so much to love about so many of this year's prospects.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#332 » by Hoops Addict » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Does anyone like Bacon at #25? HIs comp is Gerald Wilkins.

NBA Comparison: Gerald Wilkins
Strengths: Bacon is a wiry and long guard that can get off the ground explosively ... Explosive leaper ... Is lightening quick in the open floor ... Active in all areas and can have an impact from anywhere on the court ... Excels when going through the lane ... Terrific at finishing at the rim ... Will find creative ways to get contested shots to drop ... Plays well above the rim ... Improved his jump shot over his high school career ... Can now effectively score the ball from many spots on the court ... Has deep range ... Has the traits to develop into a high-level defender ... At his best and most comfortable on offense with the ball in his hand ... Dribbles the ball like a point guard ... Has the ball on a string at all times ... Able to both start and finish any fast break ... Uses his size to look over the defense and spot open players in traffic ... Capable of getting into the lane whenever he wants too ... Uses his length to wreak havoc in passing lanes ... Athletic enough to stick with just about any player on the perimeter ...

Weaknesses: Needs to develop a greater understanding of the game ... Can score at will, but seems to be naive to some of the subtle nuances of basketball ... Has to become better at playing off the ball ... Also will need to develop a midrange game as he continues to move up in levels of play ... Capable of making deep threes, yet isn't as consistent of a shooter as one would expect ... Has a tendency to let his demeanor and attitude change depending on whether he is having a good game or not ... Often interacts too much with referees and opposing players ... Teeters the line between cocky and confident ... Needs to show front offices that he has the desire and love of the game to put in the necessary work to become a great player ...

Notes: Selected to 2015 McDonald's All-American and Jordan Brand Classic games ... Measured in at 6'5" 202 lbs with a 6'8" wingspan at 2013 Nike Elite 100 camp ... Looked to have noticeably filled out his frame during the 2015 high school all-star events ...

Overall: Bacon has the skill and size to make an immediate impact next year at Florida State. His main areas of development will come in terms of personality. He could probably suit up in a NBA game now and score, but needs to continue to sharpen his all around game. It will be interesting to see how he meshes with Xavier Rathan-Mayes at FSU next year, was always the alpha dog (even at Oak Hill Academy). If he is capable of putting everything together could become one of the best prospects in the entire 2016 class.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man

Post#333 » by Hoops Addict » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 pm

He has 7'3.5 reach.

5 - Johnathan MotleyBaylor

Birthday: 5/4/95
NBA Position: Power Forward
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-9
Wt: 230
Hometown: Houston, TX

NBA Comparison: Darrell Arthur/Keon Clark
Strengths: An extremely long, rangy big man with a versatile offensive game, Johnathan Motley has made the most of the opportunity as Baylor’s top dog after Taurean Prince has made the transition to the NBA. Measuring 6’9’’ in shoes, Motley sports a massive 7’3.5’’ wingspan and a 9’3’’ standing reach, which are both elite measurements for a power forward. He’s filled out nicely over the yeas as well, and weighs in at a strong 232 pounds (up about 30 lbs since his high school days). Motley also possesses great end to end speed, and the ability to really get out on the break. Athletically, he’s a quick leaper as well, who can get off the ground nicely. Johnathan has also been able to transition into a number one option at the collegiate level (16.3 ppg). He’s done so by using a solid mid range game (42.5% on jump shots according to Hoop-Math.com) as well as the ability to post up on the block and use a nice hook over either shoulder. Motley’s has a high release on his jumper, and good touch, even on fade aways and turn arounds. He’s also a terrific offensive rebounder and has already tallied 19 put-backs as a part of hauling in 2.9 offensive rebounds per game (through 12-31-2016). He’s also shown a new part of his game this season, and that is passing out of the post. Motley is averaging a career high 2.2 assists per game, and has shown the smarts to make good passes out of double teams, now that he’s a larger focus of Baylor’s offense. Defensively, he’s solid and has shown the ability to move laterally and disrupt the passing lanes in Baylor’s zone defense. While zone is not a common set in the NBA, he has the athletic tools, and awareness to transition into at least a solid defender who can mop up defensive rebounds at a high rate.

Weaknesses: Johnathan has a really good mid range game, but in the spacing heavy NBA landscape of today, you’d like your stretch 4 to have 3 point range. His percentage this season is a very good .385%, but it’s on limited attempts (5-13) so it’s difficult to know if that’s an accurate representation of his range. Motley is surprisingly not a high level shot blocker, despite his great length. He blocks just 1 shot per game at Baylor, and while Jo Lual-Acuil acts as the Bears’ primary rim protector, you’d still like to see more swats from a guy sporting a 9’3’’ standing reach. Motley has shown the ability to block 3 or 4 shots in a game, though, so this could be improved upon as the year progresses. He’s also improved his FT shooting this season to a respectable 68%, but you’d like to see him get that over 70%, but I think that is not out of the question when looking at his continued growth. Motley is a red shirt, so he’ll turn 22 at the and of his junior season.

Overall: There’s a lot to like about Johnathan Motley when looking towards the next level. He’s extremely long, agile, and has really asserted himself in a variety of different areas of the game as a red shirt junior. His speed will allow him to thrive in transition, and his versatile offensive game will allow him to be effective in the half court. While not a great rim protector, Motley is a high level rebounder both offensively and defensively, and has the physical tools to project success on the glass in the NBA. Motley does a lot of things well, and looks to be able to translate a lot of what he does at the next level. While not a high ceiling player, Johnathan could prove to be a really solid rotation player, and even a starter if he continues to hone and work on his game.

Notes: All Big-12 3rd Team 2016, Measured 6’9’’ in shoes, with a 7’ 3.5’’ wingspan and an 9’3’’ standing reach at Baylor. As of 12-31-16 he ranks 4th in the Big 12 in scoring and 2nd in rebounding.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man

Post#334 » by Hoops Addict » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Harry Giles......2 busted ACLS. Take him at #25?

Gert42
Senior
And1: 209

Post#335 » by Gert42 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 4:49 am

I think if your medical staff trusts what they see on Giles's physical/medical info, you take him at #25. And honestly his injury history is risky, but you can take a chance at the back end of the 1st round, especially with the GS pick and 2 picks coming next year too.
stitches
RealGM

Post#336 » by stitches » Sat Apr 1, 2017 5:21 am

Hoops Addict wrote:Harry Giles......2 busted ACLS. Take him at #25?

Yep, if your medical staff clears him... take him and never look back.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#337 » by KqWIN » Sat Apr 1, 2017 5:23 am

I wouldn't feel right drafting Giles. It's unfair to subject the kid to our training staff.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#338 » by sipclip » Sat Apr 1, 2017 2:31 pm

With Giles it all depends on who else is around as well. The thought of Giles possibly returning to form is enticing but he looked so bad athletically this year it is hard to imagine him getting back. At 25 I would definitely not take him if one of Donovan Mitchell, Bam, Tyler Lydon, or Motley are around.

stitches
RealGM

Post#339 » by stitches » Sat Apr 1, 2017 2:35 pm

sipclip wrote:With Giles it all depends on who else is around as well. The thought of Giles possibly returning to form is enticing but he looked so bad athletically this year it is hard to imagine him getting back. At 25 I would definitely not take him if one of Donovan Mitchell, Bam, Tyler Lydon, or Motley are around.

I don't like Motley(at least not in the first). Lydon is... weird. I'm conflicted about him.
stitches
RealGM

Post#340 » by stitches » Sat Apr 1, 2017 7:37 pm

My second round favorite:
(both from this week)

He's averaging 8.2/3.2/1 in 19 minutes of play with ridiculous 70% TS% (56/44/81 shooting splits). That shot is pure.

Return to Utah Jazz