RealGM
And1: 6,811

Jazz Waive Chris Johnson 

Post#1 » by stitches » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:07 pm

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-waive-chris-johnson

Jazz Waive Chris Johnson
Utah’s roster now stands at 15 players
Posted: Oct 22, 2016

The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has waived forward Chris Johnson. Following the move, Utah’s roster now stands at 15 players.

Johnson (6-6, 206, Dayton) appeared in all six preseason games for the Jazz, averaging 5.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11.2 minutes. He appeared in 82 games (two starts) for Utah over the past two seasons, averaging 3.5 points and 1.8 rebounds in 13.0 minutes per contest.

The 6-6 forward originally signed a 10-day contract with the Jazz during the 2014-15 season before signing a multi-year deal on March 26, 2015.

I really hope he finds a place in the league somewhere. One of the most hustle guys I've seen in Jazz uniform. He's a consistent jumpshot away from being a good rotational player.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Jazz Waive Chris Johnson 

Post#2 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:22 pm

I feel bad for Chris, everyone says he's a very hard worker. He's an NBA player whether his jumper improves or not. He deserves to get picked up somewhere else.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#3 » by Charlie_S » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm

KqWIN wrote:I feel bad for Chris, everyone says he's a very hard worker. He's an NBA player whether his jumper improves or not. I deserves to get picked up somewhere else.

I like CJ but unless he makes some significant improvements he'll remain a fringe NBA player. If he stays around in the D-League he will get another chance with some team - maybe even the Jazz, who knows - because he does some positive things on the floor and works very hard but at the moment he's simply not skilled enough to make it, IMO. Right now his best option career-wise might be to go work on his game (and get some money) overseas.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#4 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Charlie_S wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I feel bad for Chris, everyone says he's a very hard worker. He's an NBA player whether his jumper improves or not. I deserves to get picked up somewhere else.

I like CJ but unless he makes some significant improvements he'll remain a fringe NBA player. If he stays around in the D-League he will get another chance with some team - maybe even the Jazz, who knows - because he does some positive things on the floor and works very hard but at the moment he's simply not skilled enough to make it, IMO. Right now his best option career-wise might be to go work on his game (and get some money) overseas.

I have to disagree. CJ is definitely an NBA caliber player on one side of the ball, and that alone makes him better than many of the guys receiving the 15th roster spot around the league.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#5 » by Charlie_S » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:41 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Charlie_S wrote:

I have to disagree. CJ is definitely an NBA caliber player on one side of the ball, and that alone makes him better than many of the guys receiving the 15th roster spot around the league.

Well if it's just an end-of-the-bench spot then yeah, he's already there as I'm sure many coaches wouldn't mind having a guy like that on the roster. That is the world of non-guaranteed contracts though, there's a lot of personnel turnover and it's hard to keep that spot for long - that's why I called him a fringe NBA player. I'm sure that as he is now he can hop around for quite a while longer but what I meant was that in order to actually get a "true" multi-year contract and a consistent spot in an NBA rotation he needs to show he can do something more offensively. FWIW, I'm rooting for him!
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#6 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:10 am

Feel bad for Johnson, but the writing was on the wall. If the roster composition was different, he might have stayed, but the way it is presently constructed we'd have no backup C if we kept him.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#7 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 pm

We have 5 4/5 guys but if one of the top three of those are injured it would become a real weakness.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#8 » by FJS » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 pm

between Withey or CJ I think we made the right decision

Sent from my SM-J710F using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:05 pm

FJS wrote:between Withey or CJ I think we made the right decision

Sent from my SM-J710F using RealGM mobile app

Agreed, it really just comes down to this. Also, Bolomboy (to me) proved he is going to be an NBA player.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#10 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:We have 5 4/5 guys but if one of the top three of those are injured it would become a real weakness.

That's true to some extent, but we have only one true C in Gobert. The rest are PF's that can play C, sometimes. It's pretty much Favors, and the rest are undersized and not C's at all but who might slide over in certain small lineups. That's why I think they retained Withey, who is a true C with true center size.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
picknroll3212
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by picknroll3212 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:18 am

Yes, the Jazz are stacked on the 1 and 2 spot. It was very hard for cj to make the team. Plus we might be playing a lot of smallball with 2 pgs on the court. That toughens up the task of finding minutes for cj even more. Too bad. He always gave his everything. Good luck Chris

Sent from my LG-D331 using RealGM mobile app
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:42 pm

picknroll3212 wrote:Yes, the Jazz are stacked on the 1 and 2 spot. It was very hard for cj to make the team. Plus we might be playing a lot of smallball with 2 pgs on the court. That toughens up the task of finding minutes for cj even more. Too bad. He always gave his everything. Good luck Chris

Love the username. Welcome RealGM, and to the Jazz board!

Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#13 » by Winglish » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:26 pm

I quite like Chris Johnson, but I think we all knew this one was coming. Jeff Withey's fiance is too beautiful not to put up on the Jumbotron every night. (Don't Google image Kennedy Summer at work!)
stitches
RealGM

Post#14 » by stitches » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Winglish wrote:I quite like Chris Johnson, but I think we all knew this one was coming. Jeff Withey's fiance is too beautiful not to put up on the Jumbotron every night. (Don't Google image Kennedy Summer at work!)

Is that the reverse of Evan Fournier?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#15 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Winglish wrote:I quite like Chris Johnson, but I think we all knew this one was coming. Jeff Withey's fiance is too beautiful not to put up on the Jumbotron every night. (Don't Google image Kennedy Summer at work!)

Unfortunately for all of us--Withey included--they broke up.

stitches
RealGM

Post#16 » by stitches » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Unfortunately for all of us--Withey included--they broke up.

Hey, they can still show her on the jumbotron... "And here comes in Jeff Withey... recently dumped by this lady. Please give him a round of applause."
picknroll3212
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: RE: Re: Jazz Waive Chris Johnson 

Post#17 » by picknroll3212 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
picknroll3212 wrote:Yes, the Jazz are stacked on the 1 and 2 spot. It was very hard for cj to make the team. Plus we might be playing a lot of smallball with 2 pgs on the court. That toughens up the task of finding minutes for cj even more. Too bad. He always gave his everything. Good luck Chris

Love the username. Welcome RealGM, and to the Jazz board!

Thanks for having me guys! Stockton to Malone...Stockton to Malone :)

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#18 » by dautjazz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:21 pm

I liked CJ for the most part. Most of the time when he was on the court, he was a great hustle player. I'm sure another team will pick him up, he seems to have a great attitude, he'll fit in a lot of teams.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to Utah Jazz