George Hill Appreciation Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: George Hill Appreciation Thread 

Post#61 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:49 pm

KqWIN wrote:Faried is interesting to me, but I'm a little uncertain on the fit. He needs that up and down system because he's at his best in chaos.

I'm not a Faried expert but what I've seen he would need one of two things. An up tempo system like you said(Houston), or a team with a stretch center who can pull the other center away on offense so Faried can play inside with smaller guys and gobble all the offensive rebounds.

The Jazz do neither of those things.

Houston could probably maximize his skills. Maybe a team with a C who can pull their man away on defense so Faried can gobb
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#62 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:00 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Faried is interesting to me, but I'm a little uncertain on the fit. He needs that up and down system because he's at his best in chaos.

I'm not a Faried expert but what I've seen he would need one of two things. An up tempo system like you said(Houston), or a team with a stretch center who can pull the other center away on offense so Faried can play inside with smaller guys and gobble all the offensive rebounds.

The Jazz do neither of those things.

Houston could probably maximize his skills. Maybe a team with a C who can pull their man away on defense so Faried can gobb

I think he's ok with another big, but it's not ideal. Having to box out him and another good rebounder can really overwhelm teams. Those Denver teams with Koufos+Faried in the frontcourt got every offensive rebound rebound. But like you said, he really needs to be in an up and down system to be great. I look at what Trevor Booker is doing in Brooklyn and wonder what Faried could do. They play like chickens with their heads cut off and it really suits that guys with that play style.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#63 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:49 am

Faried costs money the Jazz won't have. We can't really be taking on more salary without parting from a few players.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#64 » by Tom349 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 2:21 pm

Any chance that Hill missing so many games with suspect injuries could help us get him at a discount (say 20m/4) come the off season?
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#65 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:38 pm

Tom349 wrote:Any chance that Hill missing so many games with suspect injuries could help us get him at a discount (say 20m/4) come the off season?

Maybe, I imagine the Jazz will try to extend him now before they have to deal with free agency and extending him now makes its that much easier to resign Hayward.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#66 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jan 6, 2017 8:01 pm

I still think DL goes hard after getting Hill to sign that extension. I don't think it will be as long though. Probably an increase in pay this year, have him locked up next year, with a player option for the third.

This could be beneficial for all parties. Allows Hill to get money he isn't going to get this year. And still let's him get out of the contract early enough he could get on more big payday.

It allows Utah a little breathing room with allowing Exum, or whomever Utah brings in, to be groomed and see what we have as a group in a year or two.

I also would not be surprised to see Hayward opt into his last year of his contract if he thinks one more year to really see what Utah has is worthwhile, and as Andy Bailey(I think it was him?) outlined in that very good article on Haywards options there are some good reasons for him to wait one more year before he gets his new deal due to the way the new CBA is designed. Or maybe he opts out and signs a one year deal.

Either way, I think Hill signs an extension. I just don't think it's going to be for very long.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#67 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Jan 7, 2017 1:55 am

G Hill wants to be with the Jazz....he is needed and looks good.

How much will Hill get an extension for? It may be that $!0M a year is too low.....can he command higher?
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#68 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 2:28 pm

tleikheen wrote:I haven't given GHill his due ....but man he brings great composure to the Jazz . He steady's the team and yet still attacks the basket in crunch time ....When have we seen that ?

I am responding to an old post from beginning of the season, but nothing has changed: Hill is still bringing much needed composure and will to win down the stretch in games.

In last night's game against Minnesota, he did a nice job of driving the baseline to get to the free throw line with 52 seconds left. He drained both of his free throws. Then he did a nice job of getting the ball to Favors on a pick n roll for an open six footer with 27 seconds left. Favors, who had just made two previous big buckets, missed this open good look, but Rudy came up big and tipped in the ball in to give us a 94-92 lead. Rudy's tip in proved to be the game winning shot! Hill secured the final rebound of the game off of Zach Lavine's missed jumper. Go Jazz! :biggrin:
uber_snotling
Junior
And1: 188

Post#69 » by uber_snotling » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:17 pm

It's halfway through the season and the Jazz are almost out of time renegotiate and extend Hill.

Given his injury woes (19 out of 43 games this season) and age (31 in May) what's a reasonable offer to try to keep him on the team?

Note, the Jazz are 15-4 when Hill plays, 11-12 when Hill is out.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#70 » by pickIBL » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Faried is awesome. Just a bad fit. He needs a run n gun team.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#71 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:I still think DL goes hard after getting Hill to sign that extension. I don't think it will be as long though. Probably an increase in pay this year, have him locked up next year, with a player option for the third.

This could be beneficial for all parties. Allows Hill to get money he isn't going to get this year. And still let's him get out of the contract early enough he could get on more big payday.

It allows Utah a little breathing room with allowing Exum, or whomever Utah brings in, to be groomed and see what we have as a group in a year or two.

I also would not be surprised to see Hayward opt into his last year of his contract if he thinks one more year to really see what Utah has is worthwhile, and as Andy Bailey(I think it was him?) outlined in that very good article on Haywards options there are some good reasons for him to wait one more year before he gets his new deal due to the way the new CBA is designed. Or maybe he opts out and signs a one year deal.

Either way, I think Hill signs an extension. I just don't think it's going to be for very long.

Cheesy to quote myself but it is relevant to what I've been saying for months and no one has called me out on it. I just learned (listening to Salt City Hoops) what I'm proposing is not possible assuming what Andy said is accurate. I have no reason to not believe him. I very much like his show and think he presents a pretty balanced point view.

In passing he(and other commentator I'm not sure of name) briefly discussed how they can't use the cap space to sign Hill to a short contract. I think Andy said it can't be 2 or 3 years. If that is true I fully understand now why Hill wouldn't sign an extension as he can get a larger contract in free agency. Maybe the Jazz could convince Hill to sign a four year but just give him a player option for years 3 and 4? But that's risky for the Jazz. And I'm not sure it's allowed.

Also I don't see the Jazz resigning Favs to an extension that long. Not until they are positive he is going to get 100% back to health.

So what the hell can the Jazz do with that cap space? Nothing?
andylarsen
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#72 » by andylarsen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:I still think DL goes hard after getting Hill to sign that extension. I don't think it will be as long though. Probably an increase in pay this year, have him locked up next year, with a player option for the third.

Cheesy to quote myself but it is relevant to what I've been saying for months and no one has called me out on it. I just learned (listening to Salt City Hoops) what I'm proposing is not possible assuming what Andy said is accurate. I have no reason to not believe him. I very much like his show and think he presents a pretty balanced point view.

In passing he(and other commentator I'm not sure of name) briefly discussed how they can't use the cap space to sign Hill to a short contract. I think Andy said it can't be 2 or 3 years. If that is true I fully understand now why Hill wouldn't sign an extension as he can get a larger contract in free agency. Maybe the Jazz could convince Hill to sign a four year but just give him a player option for years 3 and 4? But that's risky for the Jazz. And I'm not sure it's allowed.

Also I don't see the Jazz resigning Favs to an extension that long. Not until they are positive he is going to get 100% back to health.

Just to clarify: they can sign Hill to however long of an extension as they want. The question that I answered was in relation to Jingles, and how the Jazz can't extend him during the season because his contract was only 2 years long.
Mutangclan
Junior
And1: 54

Post#73 » by Mutangclan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Well with what Dante has NOT shown, I would prefer and Jazz would be smart to sign George for at least two more years, maybe even 3. I have no doubt that next season the best PG on our team will be George HIll. So that will mean Dante will have the rest of this season, the off season, all next season and that off season to try and improve and take over the starting PG position. I think at that point, we'd be looking at the beginning of what, 2018-2019? Dante will still be under contract or not?

But my Jazz would be smart to ensure our starting PG George is locked up until then.
"People who put quotes here are tools."
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#74 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:18 pm

andylarsen wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Just to clarify: they can sign Hill to however long of an extension as they want. The question that I answered was in relation to Jingles, and how the Jazz can't extend him during the season because his contract was only 2 years long.

Weird. I swore I heard you say something about not being able to sign Hill to a short contract. That's good news if the Jazz can sign him to a shorter contract as I think it has a higher probability of getting done.

My apologies for the mistake, thanks for the clarification, and keep up the good work with your show/articles.

Also, maybe you should consider taking fan questions/trade proposals from here time to time to discuss on your show. Maybe I am the only on but I don't have a Twitter or other social media to send in questions. Thanks.
andylarsen
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#75 » by andylarsen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Weird. I swore I heard you say something about not being able to sign Hill to a short contract. That's good news if the Jazz can sign him to a shorter contract as I think it has a higher probability of getting done.

My apologies for the mistake, thanks for the clarification, and keep up the good work with your show/articles.

Also, maybe you should consider taking fan questions/trade proposals from here time to time to discuss on your show. Maybe I am the only on but I don't have a Twitter or other social media to send in questions. Thanks.

I'd be happy to take questions/trade proposals from here. Posting them on the board, I'll read them, or you can DM me or email me at alarsen@ksl.com.

As a side note, I don't think extending Hill to a short contract is very likely at all. He's 30 years old, and it makes sense for him to get as much guaranteed money as possible now, rather than waiting to sign a big contract when he's 32.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#76 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:04 pm

andylarsen wrote:As a side note, I don't think extending Hill to a short contract is very likely at all. He's 30 years old, and it makes sense for him to get as much guaranteed money as possible now, rather than waiting to sign a big contract when he's 32.

That is what I'm worried about. If I'm Hill I want a minimum 4 year deal at top dollar. What do you think that would look like from a money perspective? I just can't see the Jazz being a dangerous team into the future without someone at least near Hill's level and no matter what that will take coinage. Really bummed that Dante isn't the obvious PGOTF.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#77 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 pm

andylarsen wrote:I'd be happy to take questions/trade proposals from here. Posting them on the board, I'll read them, or you can DM me or email me at alarsen@ksl.com.

Would you be open to\up to an "Ask Larsen" thread?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#78 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:09 pm

It's great to see Andy Larsen posting here! I enjoy reading his analysis.

Hill's overall season stats, though still great, have been coming back down to earth. At one point earlier in the season, Hill was ranked in the top three or four point guards by PER, with a 26+ PER, and he was averaging 20 ppg. He was ranked ahead of luminaries like Curry and Thomas on PER. Now he is ranked #10 by PER at 21.68 and he is averaging 17.9 ppg. Hill also showed that he is human with regard to potential to get run down a little during an NBA season, and Elfrid Payton was able to take advantage of that in the Orlando game. Thankfully we still won the game.

But I love Hill's fit for this team, and really want to sign and extend him. So hopefully Hill's dropoff in season stats to more realistic numbers (I think his current season stats are still probably higher than where he ends up for the season), will increase the chances of the Jazz getting an affordable extension with him. Go Jazz!
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#79 » by stitches » Wed Mar 1, 2017 8:15 pm

Michael Lee wrote a feature on Hill for The Vertical

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-george-hill-has-fit-so-well-with-the-jazz-164148997.html

Haven't read it, but I will try to do it later today.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#80 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:20 pm

I've seen a fair amount of Hill bashing in the game threads lately, so I am going to try to offset it a little by reviving this thread. :biggrin: The guy is not an All Star, but he is still a very good fit for this team and the best PG we have seen here in a long time. With 10 games left to go in the season, Hill is hanging on to the number 5 spot for PGs on real plus minus and the number 14 spot on PER. Does he occasionally get lit up by younger, quicker point guards? Yes. Does he occasionally have games where he is a no show? Yes. But overall the guy is pretty darn good, pretty darn productive and is a very savvy, veteran player.

I don't want to max Hill due to his age, his seeming nagging injury problems and his average career stats, but I still would really like to re-sign the guy. There is still a chance that teams with money who are not close to sniffing the playoffs may balk on maxing Hill for the reason that he could be over the hill by the time they are ready to make some noise in the playoffs. And all the current, contending playoff teams arguably already have as good or better point guards except for the Spurs and Bucks. I am not sure what those teams' salary situation and top needs are (Tony Parker is signed for another season), but it seems to me that there is still a decent chance that the Jazz can make the most attractive, winning offer for Hill at something quite a bit below max. Go Jazz!

Return to Utah Jazz