New Update: Hayward on Free Agency

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Re: Update: Hayward on Free Agency 

Post#201 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Tony Jones of the Trib just wrote an article praising the new CBA "supermax provision" that allows a team to pay one of its current players up to 35% of the team's payroll if that player makes the ALL NBA one, two or three teams. Jones say it could give the team the edge to keep Hayward here, assuming that Hayward makes one of the All NBA teams.

Utah Jazz: With new CBA, Jazz get a boost in bid to keep Hayward
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4812956-155/utah-jazz-with-new-cba-jazz

I think this is an awful provision. I can't imagine a team with Gordon Hayward taking close to 35% of the payroll having enough other good players to contend for a championship. In fact, the only player in recent history who I could possibly be persuaded is worth 35% of a team's payroll on a championship contending team is Lebron James, and even paying the mighty Lebron James 35% of a team's payroll is highly questionable. With James currently taking up just 24% of the Cavs' payroll, the Cavs' roster suddenly looks thin with just one injury --- an injury to J.R. Smith, who is not even one of their top three players.

This new supermax provision isn't in the interests of 90 to 95% of NBA players, who range from below average to good. So much money going to just one player clearly means less money for everybody else. I suspect union leaders Lebron James and Chris Paul steamrolled this new provision right by the rest of the players without them recognizing what just happened.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#202 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:This new supermax provision isn't in the interests of 90 to 95% of NBA players, who range from below average to good. So much money going to just one player clearly means less money for everybody else.

Which is indeed one thing wrong with the NBA power structure. Only teams with owners who are willing to go deep in to luxury tax AND be penciled in for conference finals before the first ball is tipped can afford this type of player retention. Yes, the Jazz could theoretically pay GH that much but if they stay below the lux tax as is there way the rest of the team is going to be very very thin...hello Shelvin Mack as PGOTF.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
uber_snotling
Junior
And1: 188

Post#203 » by uber_snotling » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Hayward isn't going to make an all-NBA team. He's a top-30, maybe top 25 player in the league, but he is not going to get voted in as a top 6 forward this year.

Locks - LBJ, KD, Kawhi, Giannis
Other contenders - Draymond, Griffin, Aldridge, Love, Millsap, Porzingis, Butler (or guard), and possibly AD (maybe center?)
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#204 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 pm

uber_snotling wrote:Hayward isn't going to make an all-NBA team. He's a top-30, maybe top 25 player in the league, but he is not going to get voted in as a top 6 forward this year.

Locks - LBJ, KD, Kawhi, Giannis
Other contenders - Draymond, Griffin, Aldridge, Love, Millsap, Porzingis, Butler (or guard), and possibly AD (maybe center?)

You're probably right, and that's a good thing imo!
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#205 » by stitches » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 am

At least we don't have to worry about his wife pushing him to other places:

I knew there was a reason I liked Robyn. Besides her eyes, that is.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#206 » by Winglish » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm just going to keep beating the drum: Gordon Hayward is OUR guy! He's not going anywhere! :D
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#207 » by Catchall » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:27 am

After the Cousins trade, I'm now wondering what the Pels' cap situation is going to look like this summer. Hayward seems like the perfect complementary wing to play next to those bigs.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#208 » by stitches » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 am

Catchall wrote:After the Cousins trade, I'm now wondering what the Pels' cap situation is going to look like this summer. Hayward seems like the perfect complementary wing to play next to those bigs.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/new-orleans-pelicans-team-salary/

Seems like they will have hard time getting the required cap-space. They are at 87 million and Jrue's cap hold would be about 17M so that sends them over the cap.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#209 » by KqWIN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 am

Boogie seems like the type of guy that would attract Hayward...
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#210 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:34 am

If Hayward is serious about competing, and he leaves, it's to Boston. And I don't think it's really close. IT, Bradley, Hayward, Crowder, Horford with Smart, Brown, Fultz, Olynyk off the bench is crazy.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#211 » by zero24gravity » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:05 pm

KqWIN wrote:Boogie seems like the type of guy that would attract Hayward...

LMAO!!!!!
:crazy:
blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#212 » by blackham9258 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:27 pm

I don't think he is leaving. I think he is close enough here in Utah and in Utah he is the man. Does he want to be equally close in Boston while watching IT chuck 25 shots a game and be relegated to a spot up shooter watching the game. I don't think so.

I think Boston will be getting Butler at the draft as long as they get #1-2, and then it will be even harder for him to leave.

Utah has built its team and offense around him. He has the freedom to be the best player he can be. He won't get that elsewhere and I think he knows that.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#213 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:27 pm

blackham9258 wrote:I don't think he is leaving. I think he is close enough here in Utah and in Utah he is the man. Does he want to be equally close in Boston while watching IT chuck 25 shots a game and be relegated to a spot up shooter watching the game. I don't think so.

I think Boston will be getting Butler at the draft as long as they get #1-2, and then it will be even harder for him to leave.

Utah has built its team and offense around him. He has the freedom to be the best player he can be. He won't get that elsewhere and I think he knows that.

It is almost like Gordon read and acted on your post! Gordon's field goal percentage in the last few minutes of close games really hasn't been very good, probably helping to fuel comments like Gordon is better off as a number two or three option on a championship team, but last night he seized the reins and finished like a true, number one option superstar: going up high to grab a huge offensive board and putback with 2:42 to go, sinking a three pointer with 1:44 to go and then sinking another two pointer with 1:17 to go. Gordon really looked impressive and confident closing out that game on the road against Washington! Go Jazz!!!
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#214 » by zero24gravity » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Gordon has been SICK (I don't use that term, but it fits right now) in the games since the All Star break.

He's attacking the rim like it owes him money! Crazy dunks on people, in traffic, wow! And clutch shots hit vs Washington right when it looked the Jazz were folding.

Neven been as high on him as I am right now. I'm impressed.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#215 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:57 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Gordon has been SICK (I don't use that term, but it fits right now) in the games since the All Star break.

He's attacking the rim like it owes him money! Crazy dunks on people, in traffic, wow! And clutch shots hit vs Washington right when it looked the Jazz were folding.

Neven been as high on him as I am right now. I'm impressed.

SB Nation just put together a compilation of Hayward's power dunks:

"Gordon Hayward is the most underrated dunker in the NBA. It’s well past time we acknowledge his dunks."
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/27/14750374/gordon-hayward-dunks-poster-video-most-underrated-dunker?yptr=yahoo
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#216 » by Catchall » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:47 am

One thing that seems to weigh in Utah's favor is that his wife apparently likes being in Utah and they've set up a nice custom home their kids. I wouldn't say this about everyone, but now that they have a young kid the upheaval of moving his family might increase the burden of proof a little for Hayward to move.

The other thing is that Utah is built around Hayward right now. It's partly the reason he's been able develop and become an All Star, which I think is something that's important to him. If he's the second or third guy on another team, does he get the chance to put up big numbers every night and become that player? I'm not sure. If he stays in Utah, he gets paid, gets to win and gets to be the guy. The Jazz just need to make one or two choice moves from here to become a 55 - 60-win team. They need one more All Star-caliber player to go with Hayward and Gobert.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#217 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:44 am

All I know is if Hayward stays, and I think he will, I hope his work ethic rubs off on other players. Think how much Dante/Lyles could improve if they stuck around and went through the regimented workouts that Hayward did.
uber_snotling
Junior

Post#218 » by uber_snotling » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:04 am

Catchall wrote:One thing that seems to weigh in Utah's favor is that his wife apparently likes being in Utah and they've set up a nice custom home their kids. I wouldn't say this about everyone, but now that they have a young kid the upheaval of moving his family might increase the burden of proof a little for Hayward to move.

If you are making 30M per year, the "upheaval" of moving your kids in preschool ain't so bad.
Mutangclan
Junior
And1: 54

Post#219 » by Mutangclan » Mon Mar 6, 2017 4:13 pm

I unfortunately missed the game yesterday, but this is just for those who said Hayward is not clutch....you know who you are :crazy:

Ice cold 3, great set up for Rudy and I'm sure more in that game. I love his game, both ends.
"People who put quotes here are tools."
uber_snotling
Junior

Post#220 » by uber_snotling » Mon Mar 6, 2017 7:03 pm

Mutangclan wrote:I unfortunately missed the game yesterday, but this is just for those who said Hayward is not clutch....you know who you are :crazy:

Ice cold 3, great set up for Rudy and I'm sure more in that game. I love his game, both ends.

Hayward missed at least 3 point blank layups last night, had 3 terrible first half TOVs, and missed his first four 3 point attempts. His first half was one of the main reasons the Jazz were down by 15. He played well in the 4th and OT, but was one of the worst players on the floor in the first 20 minutes.

Return to Utah Jazz