Gobert: Some Jazzmen dont compete

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Re: Gobert: Some Jazzmen dont compete 

Post#21 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:05 pm

This is getting interesting. I've been unhappy with Hill for a while now...I'm actually glad Gobert had the guts to call him out. Maybe this will hurt Hill's market value and he'll resign cheaper with us! hahahhah
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:06 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thats a lot of non committal sentences, I think he's still pissed about the game and he probably called those players out in their team meeting. I think Rudy's new nickname should be Rudy the Lionheart.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#23 » by stitches » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:09 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thats a lot of non committal sentences, I think he's still pissed about the game and he probably called those players out in their team meeting. I think Rudy's new nickname should be Rudy the Lionheart.

Watch the video in the tweet for more context. 140 characters are not great for explaining complex situations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#24 » by AingesBurner » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:10 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Watch the video in the tweet for more context. 140 characters are not great for explaining complex situations.

i did watch the video and it still seems like a lot of non committal sentences to me, I think he feels like he's correct in what he said.
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#25 » by zero24gravity » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:How did this thread become a discussion on how negative RealGM is, or the Jazz board in general? As for Gobert's comments...I think its obvious he's talking about George Hill, and probably Rodney Hood, too. He is definitely not talking about Hayward...Hayward is a stud and a competitor!

THIS is exactly what I was thinking when I heard the comments. It has to be Hill & Hood.

Hill, shooting for his next contract. Hood... just shooting, trying to find his groove again after a very up & down season.

Hill is a good player. I'd like to have Hill back, but outside of the first month of the season, I haven't felt he's been as amazing as some people have. I really do think he's trying to put up stats to justify his last big NBA contract.

With Hood, maybe the coaches have told him "keep shooting", but wow, he's been pretty bad lately. Poor guy is injured all the time and simply hasn't been right most the year. You'd think with Hood & Alec, the team would have at least one above average starting SG ready & rolling. .... hasn't been the case.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#26 » by KqWIN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

stitches wrote:He mentioned boxing out Jordan as example of giving effort and I remembered distinctly the situation he was talking about so I had to go back and look at what happened. Hill was switched on Blake and Blake backed him down and Rudy helped off of Jordan to stop him, which lead to pass outside and a missed 3p shot, which was tip-dunked by Jordan. Nobody was on him, he went for the rebound untouched while Hill was just hanging out there in the middle of nowhere wondering what to do. It was his job to put a body on him. You won't get all rebounds in this situation, but you are supposed to at least TRY. Rudy looked dejected and disgusted by it. He also said something about taking a charge for a teammate and I remember two cases, one was Hayward and one was Hill where they just left the guy go to the hoop instead of sacrificing their body.

This is in addition to the several situations we've noticed in previous games where Hill doesn't come back on D after not getting a call and this costing us wide open 3s.

Yeah, it doesn't take a detective to know that Rudy is very frustrated when he plays help defense, but not one helps him out. That's where we miss Favors the most. Whenever Rudy contests a shot it's a free offensive rebound because no one is going after it from our side. We don't want to run, so the rest of the guys have no excuse to not go after the boards.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#27 » by stitches » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:50 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't take a detective to know that Rudy is very frustrated when he plays help defense, but not one helps him out. That's where we miss Favors the most. Whenever Rudy contests a shot it's a free offensive rebound because no one is going after it from our side. We don't want to run, so the rest of the guys have no excuse to not go after the boards.

I've wanted to post this ever since that Rudy quote was published, because that's something Favors is exceptional at but I didn't want to seem like the guy that links all the problems of the team to his pet issue or all the good things to the guy he's been sticking with almost religiously against most other fans this season, so I'm happy that you brought it up. But yes. I've been thinking about that for a while - I remember how much Rudy appreciated the change from playing most minutes with Kanter vs playing with Favors. I remember how as a second year player with 500 minutes on the floor Rudy will shout at Enes and PHYSICALLY push him towards his rotations... and I remember just how seamless Rudy and Favs play and help eachother. I'm not sure fans appreciate the little subtle things Favors does on defense that never show up on the boxscore - the way he would see Reddick running around screens and running on the baseline and he would just take a slight step off his man to deflect Reddick's path and help his man catch up. The way he would switch and rotate like clockwork and pretty much nobody in the league would be able to easily abuse him on the mismatch. His rebounding instincts and technique and straight up unselfishness, where he would box out people and leave Rudy gobble up the rebound uninterrupted. I've had my gripes with Favors' drive and will to impose himself on games offensively, but one thing you cannot say is that he doesn't bring effort and smart play on D. It's such a shame his season got so derailed by injuries. We can honestly say this team never had the chance to play healthy together. I seriously think we could be pushing for 55-60 wins if Favors was relatively healthy. Even if he was as healthy as last year, when he missed 20 games.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#28 » by pickIBL » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Anyone still confused on who is batman and robin?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#29 » by KqWIN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

I've wanted to post this ever since that Rudy quote was published, because that's something Favors is exceptional at but I didn't want to seem like the guy that links all the problems of the team to his pet issue or all the good things to the guy he's been sticking with almost religiously against most other fans this season, so I'm happy that you brought it up. But yes. I've been thinking about that for a while - I remember how much Rudy appreciated the change from playing most minutes with Kanter vs playing with Favors. I remember how as a second year player with 500 minutes on the floor Rudy will shout at Enes and PHYSICALLY push him towards his rotations... and I remember just how seamless Rudy and Favs play and help eachother. I'm not sure fans appreciate the little subtle things Favors does on defense that never show up on the boxscore - the way he would see Reddick running around screens and running on the baseline and he would just take a slight step off his man to deflect Reddick's path and help his man catch up. The way he would switch and rotate like clockwork and pretty much nobody in the league would be able to easily abuse him on the mismatch. His rebounding instincts and technique and straight up unselfishness, where he would box out people and leave Rudy gobble up the rebound uninterrupted. I've had my gripes with Favors' drive and will to impose himself on games offensively, but one thing you cannot say is that he doesn't bring effort and smart play on D. It's such a shame his season got so derailed by injuries. We can honestly say this team never had the chance to play healthy together. I seriously think we could be pushing for 55-60 wins if Favors was relatively healthy. Even if he was as healthy as last year, when he missed 20 games.

I agree, save for when Favors is tired. I'm admittedly hard on Favors, and one of the main reasons is that he gets tired often and his game really falls of when that happens. He's also guilty of complaining instead of getting back on defense which is one of the most frustrating things for me to watch as a fan. Overall I don't think his motor is where it could be, and it irks me because while he's good he could be great. I'm more biased towards the guys who aren't as talented to begin with and work towards it like Hayward. If his motor never stopped we'd be looking at a perennial all star.

Return to Utah Jazz