If he leaves it will be because?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

If he leaves it will be because? 

Post#1 » by blackham9258 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 am

#1 Dennis Lindsay offered $12m per year back when Hayward wanted near max to Sign after season 3, at 4/$60M. The jazz balked and Hayward had a bad season and still got the max, and we made him go out and beg for it.

If we had just paid him the $3M extra per year after year 3, he would be like Derrick Favors with 1 more year left and that is huge.

Why? Because this is like what happened to OKC last year and Golden State with Durrant, it a took a huge cap leap and all the things like the Warriors losing the finals for Durrant to be even able to go to a team like the Warriors.

With Gordon having the opt out this year it coincides with the last year Boston has the cap space to sign a free agent before they have to pay guys like IT.

All Boston has to do is sequence their trade in a specific order and they say "Gordon, we have a deal in place to go get Jimmy Butler for Avery Bradley & Markel Fultz. We will do that deal as soon as you sign, and then we still have next year's Brooklyn #1 pick to bolster our roster and there are a ton of bigs coming out next year. We will then resign Isaiah and it will be you, IT, Horford, Jimmy,
And a ton of the best bench pieces coming off the bench."

Boston can do that deal in a heartbeat, and it's a better situation than we are in.

Why? Because all of our pieces that should be giving Gordon hope like Dante, Rodney, Trey, Derrick, and Alec are either injured or all took a major step back this year.

Count me in the camp thats really worried that he is gone. Sadly.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: If he leaves it will be because? 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 11, 2017 4:46 am

If he leaves I will have unkind words about him but I think it's more likely he stays, his wife loves it here and happy wife happy life. Players that leave small market teams for big markets become unpopular. I think DL needs to make a big trade come draft night, Bradley Beal might be a pretty easy target if the Wiz get swept.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Thu May 11, 2017 6:54 am

If he leaves it will because Boston is a better basketball situation, the Jazz FO completely disrespected him in his first extension talks, and because (even if he says otherwise) many fans have treated him like trash since the first day he got here.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Thu May 11, 2017 7:06 am

KqWIN wrote:If he leaves it will because Boston is a better basketball situation, the Jazz FO completely disrespected him in his first extension talks, and because (even if he says otherwise) many fans have treated him like trash since the first day he got here.

But... is he worth the max, really?
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#5 » by KqWIN » Thu May 11, 2017 7:33 am

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:If he leaves it will because Boston is a better basketball situation, the Jazz FO completely disrespected him in his first extension talks, and because (even if he says otherwise) many fans have treated him like trash since the first day he got here.

Gobert is the real star anyways. Why even worry about Hayward?
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#6 » by FJS » Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 pm

he is 27 and this is his Team. he could anywhere when he turn 32 and is fa another time if he wants a ring or two.
mglee
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#7 » by mglee » Thu May 11, 2017 1:57 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

Because what will one star get you? Maybe a 7 or 8 seed if lucky. We won't find a replacement for Gordon in the near future. And he's only 27 and has improved statistically every year he's been in the league.

If Gordon leaves, the jazz need to seriously consider blowing it up. Because they aren't signing blake, cp, etc. Especially without 2 all star level players already there.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#8 » by pickIBL » Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 pm

If he leaves it's because he wants to give isaiah thomas piggyback rides.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#9 » by pickIBL » Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 pm

mglee wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:But... is he worth the max, really?

Because what will one star get you? Maybe a 7 or 8 seed if lucky. We won't find a replacement for Gordon in the near future. And he's only 27 and has improved statistically every year he's been in the league.

If Gordon leaves, the jazz need to seriously consider blowing it up. Because they aren't signing blake, cp, etc. Especially without 2 all star level players already there.

If the jazz s&t hayward for brown and sign gallinari in free agency I think you definitely give the FO credit for making lemonade.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
mglee
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#10 » by mglee » Thu May 11, 2017 2:15 pm

pickIBL wrote:
mglee wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

If the jazz s&t hayward for brown and sign gallinari in free agency I think you definitely give the FO credit for making lemonade.

Honestly haven't even considered a s&t but I think you're on to something.

I'm guessing you mean jaylen brown? If we could get the nets pick in that too then I'd be on board. That was the rumored basis for a butler/PG trade and i would think Hayward has similar value.

But that would be my contingency plan if Hayward says he doesn't want to stay. Obviously the first choice should be to keep him.

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#11 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 11, 2017 3:27 pm

mglee wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
mglee wrote:

Honestly haven't even considered a s&t but I think you're on to something.

I'm guessing you mean jaylen brown? If we could get the nets pick in that too then I'd be on board. That was the rumored basis for a butler/PG trade and i would think Hayward has similar value.

But that would be my contingency plan if Hayward says he doesn't want to stay. Obviously the first choice should be to keep him.

We would be lucky to get Jaylen out of a sign and trade, you don't get overpaid in sign and trades.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#12 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Because he cares more about either playing for his college coach or the increased possibility of playing in the NBA championship game (calculating that the Celtics could get past the Cavs easier than the Jazz could get past the Warriors) more than money. A LOT of money would be left on the table if he signs with anyone else.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,065

Post#13 » by Rauxcee » Thu May 11, 2017 7:08 pm

If he leaves it's simply because he wanted to leave and just play somewhere else. Unless he signs with the Warriors or the Cavs his chances of winning a championship aren't all the high no matter who he plays for. (I think Boston is only marginally better at best and to be significantly better than the Jazz they would have to package players/picks for a top talent which could lead to lack of depth and cap problems)

At the end of the day, teams are still going to have to go through Lebron and/or the Warriors to win. Barring injury, I don't see that changing for the next 3 years. No matter what team or what conference you play for, that's who you have to go through to win and I don't see any team being able to do it unless players are already making arrangements to form a super team somewhere.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#14 » by Catchall » Thu May 11, 2017 8:27 pm

I really think Hayward is going to stay for at least one more year. He's seeing the progress he's made in his personal development, and I think personal development is really still his #1 priority, at least while the league is dominated by two super teams. This Jazz team is built around him and his strengths, and he has the chance to continue to improve. He won't get the same touches on another team that he gets with the Jazz. He might qualify for super max in a year, and he can put pressure on the Jazz to keep improving in the meantime.

If the Lakers get Paul George and another big-name player, I could see Hayward going to join them in LA down the line. But if the Jazz can get a third big-time player, his best chance to win might still be Utah.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#15 » by Crunch 99 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:57 am

Catchall wrote:I really think Hayward is going to stay for at least one more year. He's seeing the progress he's made in his personal development, and I think personal development is really still his #1 priority, at least while the league is dominated by two super teams. This Jazz team is built around him and his strengths, and he has the chance to continue to improve. He won't get the same touches on another team that he gets with the Jazz. He might qualify for super max in a year, and he can put pressure on the Jazz to keep improving in the meantime.

Excellent points. In Boston, it would be very difficult for Hayward to raise his scoring average over what it is now --- maybe pretty hard to even keep his ppg where it is now with IT dominating the ball, and thus maybe more difficult to become eligible for a Super Max contract in the future.

But regarding super max contract, (and maybe I am looking at this wrong),I hope Hayward is never eligible for a super max contract. I am skeptical that a team can pay one man 35% of a team's salary cap and still have enough money left over to pay enough other good players to be a championship contender.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#16 » by BarneyGumble » Fri May 12, 2017 7:44 pm

He's not leaving...especially over the particulars of how he got his last contract. Every marriage has rough patches. His agent is probably smart enough to explain that every player on every franchise in the league has their problems with the team from time to time. Hayward was unproven, and now he's proven. He got paid then, he will get paid now. End of story.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#17 » by Catchall » Sun May 14, 2017 3:07 am

The short answer: if Hayward leaves it will be because he has a chance to play with a superstar player that he really wants to play with. He might like the scene in LA or Miami, but it's going to take a very good team with a very good player to lure him away.

This is why star players change teams.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#18 » by Catchall » Sun May 14, 2017 3:12 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
Catchall wrote:I really think Hayward is going to stay for at least one more year. He's seeing the progress he's made in his personal development, and I think personal development is really still his #1 priority, at least while the league is dominated by two super teams. This Jazz team is built around him and his strengths, and he has the chance to continue to improve. He won't get the same touches on another team that he gets with the Jazz. He might qualify for super max in a year, and he can put pressure on the Jazz to keep improving in the meantime.

Excellent points. In Boston, it would be very difficult for Hayward to raise his scoring average over what it is now --- maybe pretty hard to even keep his ppg where it is now with IT dominating the ball, and thus maybe more difficult to become eligible for a Super Max contract in the future.

But regarding super max contract, (and maybe I am looking at this wrong),I hope Hayward is never eligible for a super max contract. I am skeptical that a team can pay one man 35% of a team's salary cap and still have enough money left over to pay enough other good players to be a championship contender.

Yeah, paying Hayward 35% of the cap wouldn't be good for the Jazz. I just think Hayward is pretty into himself emerging as a star player. He wants to see if he can make All NBA, maybe play next year with Team USA, and be in that upper echelon of players. He's starting to get a taste of it. Once he accomplishes that, he'll look around and see who he can team up with to win championships.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#19 » by MalonesElbows » Mon May 15, 2017 3:20 am

blackham9258 wrote:#1 Dennis Lindsay offered $12m per year back when Hayward wanted near max to Sign after season 3, at 4/$60M. The jazz balked and Hayward had a bad season and still got the max, and we made him go out and beg for it.

If we had just paid him the $3M extra per year after year 3, he would be like Derrick Favors with 1 more year left and that is huge.

Why? Because this is like what happened to OKC last year and Golden State with Durrant, it a took a huge cap leap and all the things like the Warriors losing the finals for Durrant to be even able to go to a team like the Warriors.

With Gordon having the opt out this year it coincides with the last year Boston has the cap space to sign a free agent before they have to pay guys like IT.

All Boston has to do is sequence their trade in a specific order and they say "Gordon, we have a deal in place to go get Jimmy Butler for Avery Bradley & Markel Fultz. We will do that deal as soon as you sign, and then we still have next year's Brooklyn #1 pick to bolster our roster and there are a ton of bigs coming out next year. We will then resign Isaiah and it will be you, IT, Horford, Jimmy,
And a ton of the best bench pieces coming off the bench."

Boston can do that deal in a heartbeat, and it's a better situation than we are in.

Why? Because all of our pieces that should be giving Gordon hope like Dante, Rodney, Trey, Derrick, and Alec are either injured or all took a major step back this year.

Count me in the camp thats really worried that he is gone. Sadly.

The Bulls are not trading Butler unless they can absolutely fleece Boston for everything they have. You do realize they play in the same conference? Why wouldn't Boston have done it at the deadline and make a run this year instead of being fodder for the Cavs...because the Bulls hung up the phone and laughed.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#20 » by PharmD » Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 am

Maxing him yourself without the player option would have been a much better move. We made the same mistake with Kevin Love (who was an iffy max when he was morbidly obese).

Return to Utah Jazz