RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Jazz offseason 2017 thread 

Post#301 » by stitches » Tue May 23, 2017 7:33 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:Here's some of the interesting points DL made:
- He wishes the draft was after FA...
- A lot of what we want to do cannot be done until July
- We have the most cap room entering the draft. Probably sees it as opportunity for trades?
- They have Jazz draft board and market draft board(what they think the league sees players as)
- They hoped Hayward got all-nba team. At least told GH that.
- they have been intentional in building with size across the board(Favors, Rudy, George Hill, Exum, Ingles, JJ)...
- "competitive clarity"... that's how he described Rudy. He mentioned Rudy talking several years ago about how he's going to win championship with the Jazz, etc and how many of the things he said and seemed unbelievable, he's already achieved. He said Rudy is our ace in recruitment.
- believes we have clear advantage over the league in player development(Rudy,Hayward, Ingles, even Hill having his best season in his 30s with the Jazz). Believes this is another good point to sell to FAs.
- seemed to emphasize internal development(probably don't expect big splashes)...
- wanted Hill for 5 years... was able to get it done just last year.
- want to change the image and narrative around Utah - selling Utah and SLC hard. We don't have to apologize for anything. JJ chose Utah and others will follow. Selling the market as an advantage - one of the best training facilities in the world...
- Even if we lose both Hill and Mack, he feels like we need experience at the PG position
- Excited about the new 2-way contracts
- Likes shooting development we can do with players but sees procuring shooting talent as the best way to get shooting on the team(I hope he's learned his lesson after missing on Booker for Lyles).
-

Awesome thank you for posting but can you also post what he said about Dante?

I keep posting more as I'm listening...
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#302 » by KqWIN » Tue May 23, 2017 7:34 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:DL had a great interview on 1280thezone yesterday. I will transcribe some of the main points later. It's worth listening to anyways, some very good questions by PK(I think), he didn't soft-ball him.

http://www.1280thezone.com/dennis-lindsey-believes-rudy-gobert-is-a-nice-ace-to-have-up-sleeve-in-wooing-gordon-hayward/

I'm so excited to see where Dante is at next year. HUGE summer for him. I like the approach the franchise is taking with him. He's got all the ability, now he just needs to put in the work.

Was I the only one to find the point about Dante interesting. It looked like DL was straight up calling him out - are you going to put in the work or not?

I definitely got that sense too. They're really putting the onus on Dante to work. I agree, he has to put the work in.

Another thing I found interesting was the position/advantage thing he was talking about. Dante is naturally gifted, but he doesn't know how to use it. When he's playing PG, he's got to put his body into his opponent and get to the rim. When he's playing SG, he needs to use his speed and blow by the defender.

He needs to improve his skill level a ton, but he also needs to learn how to use his body.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#303 » by Daddy 801 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:49 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
I'm so excited to see where Dante is at next year. HUGE summer for him. I like the approach the franchise is taking with him. He's got all the ability, now he just needs to put in the work.

Was I the only one to find the point about Dante interesting. It looked like DL was straight up calling him out - are you going to put in the work or not?

I definitely got that sense too. They're really putting the onus on Dante to work. I agree, he has to put the work in.

Another thing I found interesting was the position/advantage thing he was talking about. Dante is naturally gifted, but he doesn't know how to use it. When he's playing PG, he's got to put his body into his opponent and get to the rim. When he's playing SG, he needs to use his speed and blow by the defender.

He needs to improve his skill level a ton, but he also needs to learn how to use his body.

That is what I have been saying for a while. Dante needs to be able to post up ala JJ style on smaller PG's. You have Rudy in the dunker, 3 guys spaced out, and Dante backing down a smaller PG. He is going to get a good look....IF he can learn how. And if the big man comes over for help defense Dante is long enough he can lob it to Rudy.

Glad to hear DL call Dante out. Hayward, Rudy, and Ingles have proven that the Jazz staff will put players in position to be successful if they put in the work. Now it is up to Dante, Hood, etc to prove they will do it.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#304 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue May 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks for the detailed posts, Stitches!
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#305 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Was Burks mentioned at all? What about Hood or Lyles? Their improved health and play could be key next year, or they could be trade bait and I would be interested to hear if this was addressed.
stitches
RealGM

Post#306 » by stitches » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Was Burks mentioned at all? What about Hood or Lyles? Their improved health and play could be key next year, or they could be trade bait and I would be interested to hear if this was addressed.

Not that I remember... Hood just in passing probably when talking about size of the team.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#307 » by pickIBL » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 pm

The Jazz are usually pretty tight lipped but this teo stuff is spilling out. Man i think it would be great if they lock him in and tell hill to go break a leg... somewhere else for his insanely stupid contract demands.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
stitches
RealGM

Post#308 » by stitches » Tue May 23, 2017 9:57 pm

pickIBL wrote:The Jazz are usually pretty tight lipped but this teo stuff is spilling out. Man i think it would be great if they lock him in and tell hill to go break a leg... somewhere else for his insanely stupid contract demands.

IMO there is a real chance this is not coming from the Jazz.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#309 » by pickIBL » Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 pm

stitches wrote:
pickIBL wrote:The Jazz are usually pretty tight lipped but this teo stuff is spilling out. Man i think it would be great if they lock him in and tell hill to go break a leg... somewhere else for his insanely stupid contract demands.

IMO there is a real chance this is not coming from the Jazz.

I think it might be... a message to hill about using the nets as leverage.

So guys, left field... any thoughts on iggy playing the 4 next year?
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#310 » by kebutah » Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 am

Teo is under contract until Jul7. Until that time they need to be tight lipped.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#311 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 24, 2017 2:44 am

Jerebko at the 4?
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#312 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 pm

kebutah wrote:Teo is under contract until Jul7. Until that time they need to be tight lipped.

Do my eyes deceive me? Is it really kebutah? Welcome back man! It's been a long time.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#313 » by pickIBL » Wed May 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Let's say Hayward stays and the jazz dump burks to the nets. Milos or whatever vet pg signs for mle. How much would the jazz have to spend?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#314 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 24, 2017 3:56 pm

pickIBL wrote:Let's say Hayward stays and the jazz dump burks to the nets. Milos or whatever vet pg signs for mle. How much would the jazz have to spend?

Spend on?
Ingles is cooked.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#315 » by pickIBL » Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Free agents
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#316 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 24, 2017 4:07 pm

pickIBL wrote:Free agents

At this point the MLE unless we can trade Burks, Favors, and drop Diaw then I hope Gallo but the cap screwed us so hard for 2017-2018, I think every team was expecting the 110 or whatever it was.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#317 » by stitches » Wed May 24, 2017 4:09 pm

pickIBL wrote:Free agents

Nothing. Just whatever exceptions we have (MLE, min exception, etc.)
stitches
RealGM

Post#318 » by stitches » Wed May 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Just like DL said it seems like Favors is healthy and ready to work:

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#319 » by pickIBL » Wed May 24, 2017 6:09 pm

The Jazz cant beat the Warriors with favs at the 4
stitches
RealGM

Post#320 » by stitches » Wed May 24, 2017 6:10 pm

pickIBL wrote:The Jazz cant beat the Warriors with favs at the 4

FTFY. And I might also add that we have better chance to beat them with Favs at the 4 than with anybody else at the 4.

Return to Utah Jazz