Current depth chart?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Re: Current depth chart? 

Post#101 » by MTJazzv3 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I don't think Burks will be in the rotation to start the season. I'd put him behind Exum and Mitchell in terms of priority at the 2.

Neto and Thabo are also better players imo, and I'd shift the puzzle to get them minutes before Alec. Paul Pierce ruined his career.

It's sad to think this may be true. He looked like he was bout to explode as a player a few years ago. And the triple wing looked awesome for a small stretch before his injury.

Why is there reason to believe Alec won't be in the rotation at the beginning of the season? They shut him down early and it's likely he will come back in top physical condition. If the Jazz were that pessimistic about his potential his ass would have been traded or waived by now. I think Burks is still very much in the the FO's plans.

On the flip side - recency bias is strong with Alec - he is gonna dissappoint us! :(
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#102 » by Luigi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:53 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I don't think Burks will be in the rotation to start the season. I'd put him behind Exum and Mitchell in terms of priority at the 2.

Neto and Thabo are also better players imo, and I'd shift the puzzle to get them minutes before Alec. Paul Pierce ruined his career.

It's sad to think this may be true. He looked like he was bout to explode as a player a few years ago. And the triple wing looked awesome for a small stretch before his injury.

Why is there reason to believe Alec won't be in the rotation at the beginning of the season? They shut him down early and it's likely he will come back in top physical condition. If the Jazz were that pessimistic about his potential his ass would have been traded or waived by now. I think Burks is still very much in the the FO's plans.

On the flip side - recency bias is strong with Alec - he is gonna dissappoint us! :(

Actually, I think Alec will have the default spot in the rotation to start the season. He has proved a lot more than Exum or Mitchell have. And if his trade value is high before the deadline, we'll be looking at a better deal. Then the two youngsters can move into his minutes when they have more training. I'm expecting 12-14 minute lines for Exum and Mitchel, and 24-28 minute lines for Burks for the first couple of months. Especially given our need for an offensive threat with Fatso gone -- Burks dribble drive can open things up for some productive ball movement.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#103 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:20 pm

I don't think that Alec is a better player than Exum. Alec is talented, but he's not a smart basketball player and doesn't help you win. He can get to the basket, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a good shot creator because is pull up game is horrible. If he can't get to the rim he's gets in trouble, and ever since the injuries started piling up he can't finish around the rim either. Defensively he's a mess. Unfortunately he wasn't healthy enough to develop that part of the game.

Alec has also struggled being the primary scorer on the floor. The reason why the triple wing worked wasn't because he was playing PG, it was because he was the 4th or 5th best offensive player on the floor. He needs space to operate, and probably needs the other team's best defender to be on someone else.

This roster does not afford him that luxury. It is filled with non shooters and non scorers. The one area he can excel in is transition. Hopefully he can get out in the open and catch some passes from Rubio. Again, this is a HUGE deal. The Jazz have to run. If Quin does not get the guys to run, we'll be a bottom 5 offense.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#104 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:18 am

KqWIN wrote:
This roster does not afford him that luxury. It is filled with non shooters and non scorers. The one area he can excel in is transition. Hopefully he can get out in the open and catch some passes from Rubio. Again, this is a HUGE deal. The Jazz have to run. If Quin does not get the guys to run, we'll be a bottom 5 offense.

You are seriously saying that Ingles, Hood, Favors and Mitchell aren't shooters? This goes back to the "Jazz have no offense thing" which I think is an overblown and not valid concept. No one is going to be the Warriors anytime soon, even after the Warriors are not the Warriors. At the end of the day clever post play with tall dudes on short opposing dudes is going to factor in and become vogue again. That is enabled when you play killer wing defenders, the switchy-est of guys. (Ahem. Note Jazz counter move). The whole league has gone nuts over the black magic/freak event of the Warriors Superteam outside bombing but there will be counters. The league teams are mostly smart and they realize the game always evolves. Or you die.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#105 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:00 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

You are seriously saying that Ingles, Hood, Favors and Mitchell aren't shooters? This goes back to the "Jazz have no offense thing" which I think is an overblown and not valid concept. No one is going to be the Warriors anytime soon, even after the Warriors are not the Warriors. At the end of the day clever post play with tall dudes on short opposing dudes is going to factor in and become vogue again. That is enabled when you play killer wing defenders, the switchy-est of guys. (Ahem. Note Jazz counter move). The whole league has gone nuts over the black magic/freak event of the Warriors Superteam outside bombing but there will be counters. The league teams are mostly smart and they realize the game always evolves. Or you die.

Collectively, as a forum, we need to chill with the strawman! You can't take an argument, and then change it into your own to make it less defensible. It doesn't work that way.

The Jazz aren't a good shooting roster, there's no way around it. And yes, I don't consider Favors to be a shooter. If Favors is a shooter, who isn't a shoter? Alec is best when there aren't 5 defenders with a foot in the paint. Rubio, Favors, and Gobert too....everybody is better with spacing.

What the Warriors is not black magic. If you want to call their offense black magic, then why isn't their defense black magic? They are the switchiest team in the league, and that's a good thing, so we should emulate it. But spacing the floor? Black magic. Take any sport with a ball and two teams. Spacing is important in that sport. The Warriors are the best team at the rim in the entire NBA, and that's because they can space the floor and get out in transition. You need shooting because you need spacing.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#106 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:13 am

KqWIN wrote:[

Collectively, as a forum, we need to chill with the strawman! You can't take an argument, and then change it into your own to make it less defensible. It doesn't work that way.

The Jazz aren't a good shooting roster, there's no way around it. And yes, I don't consider Favors to be a shooter. If Favors is a shooter, who isn't a shoter? Alec is best when there aren't 5 defenders with a foot in the paint. Rubio, Favors, and Gobert too....everybody is better with spacing.

Really? What if I just disagree with your premises? What is shooting? To me that is a 2-3 point shot and sometimes and ones. Some dominant teams are going large on wing bomb 3's and good defense to win. The counter is shut those wing bombers down and make their life very hard so they have to play half court. Then, that defensive team's job is to put the ball in the hoop. I'll take an easy paint 2 every day, plus the and one with finishers.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#107 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 am

KqWIN wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

What the Warriors is not black magic. If you want to call their offense black magic, then why isn't their defense black magic? They are the switchiest team in the league, and that's a good thing, so we should emulate it. But spacing the floor? Black magic. Take any sport with a ball and two teams. Spacing is important in that sport. The Warriors are the best team at the rim in the entire NBA, and that's because they can space the floor and get out in transition. You need shooting because you need spacing.

GSW are the best team on both sides of the ball. Wonder if they keep McGee next year? He was a good player last year for em. I see the Jazz being like those guys in a way. Built mostly in the draft. Player on both teams have had injury issues. GSW was about to give up on Curry and his ankle. Sure jazz are wondering about Burks Exum and Favs with there injuries. Those a key guys on this team that's dealt with some major injuries and health problems. Let's hope the Jazz can start reaping the rewards for sticking by these guys and there injuries. Was Gordo a big part of the puzzle? Yes. But the jazz brass has done a good job picking up some pieces to help fill in the hole. Was Hill good? Sure but he missed way to many games and big ones in the playoffs. Hard to keep a guy who didn't want to be here? I believe in Quin more than I ever believed in Hayward. System helped Hayward shine last couple years. Watch other shine next year.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#108 » by Luigi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:43 am

KqWIN wrote:I don't think that Alec is a better player than Exum. Alec is talented, but he's not a smart basketball player and doesn't help you win. He can get to the basket, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a good shot creator because is pull up game is horrible. If he can't get to the rim he's gets in trouble, and ever since the injuries started piling up he can't finish around the rim either. Defensively he's a mess. Unfortunately he wasn't healthy enough to develop that part of the game.

Alec has also struggled being the primary scorer on the floor. The reason why the triple wing worked wasn't because he was playing PG, it was because he was the 4th or 5th best offensive player on the floor. He needs space to operate, and probably needs the other team's best defender to be on someone else.

I think when we look at the track records of Exum and Burks, we see a clear separation--Burks is ahead.

Burks has proven he can handle real minutes in the NBA and provide starter calibur NBA skills. I don't think Exum has done that yet. Burks has proven he can shoot the ball from range well enough. Exum hasn't. Burks has shown he can beat his man off of the dribble. I agree that he doesn't have a pull up shot game, but being able to beat your man and being able to shoot the ball from deep are the two things that make offense occur. Until someone beats their man, nothing happens. There is no point to endlessly moving the ball around the perimeter playing keep away, unless someone can beat their man and be a scoring threat--either off the dribble/from a cut or else from range (the stretch the floor obsession post Warriors). That is what gets Burks into 30 min a game territory in the past--he's proven he has an NBA skill. And he's proven he can stay on the floor in general. I don't think he's a mess defensively. He's not great there, but its not a major failure. I'm not sure I agree about him benefiting so much from having other better offensive players on the floor with him. His game drive game seems fairly independent from the rest of the offense. And he's seen the green light to burn a great many defenders by himself most of these past years. IT wasn;t just during triple wing formations, he's done it for three seasons now at around 30 minutes and 14 points. That's an NBA player. I agree his finishing isn't strong enough. But add in the fact that he's been a reliable 3 point shooter (40% on 2.5 attempt), that's better than some of our alleged shooters. That makes Burks a fairly complete player. When I look to Exum, I'm just not seeing the comparison.

Now, I'm rooting for Exum to carve out his niche in the NBA, but he hasn't done it yet. He has shown good defense in the past pressuring the ball after the AS break his rookie year, but not so much recently. And he has had injuries of his own that have slowed his development. His pre draft footage was all about his lightning first step, which hasn't translated. He could still turn into something, but I'm not seeing the better player thing yet. What does he bring? He's not a reliable point guard yet. He hasn't proven he can shoot the ball well yet, from range or in the paint. He hasn't shown he can torch his man. Maybe if Burks just isn't healthy enough to play, or perhaps Burks is rusty? Maybe you can expand on the smarts and wins point?
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#109 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:58 am

KqWIN wrote:Two way contracts

16.Goss/Wallace
17. Griffin

Really on NGW over Griffen? And on par with Wallace? Have you watched a single SL game because otherwise you are way too high and/or need to support your rankings or take a check on off-handed comments? NGW is not ready and probably never. Neither Wallace or Bolomboy. But Bradley is too good not to stick.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#110 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 am

Luigi wrote:I think when we look at the track records of Exum and Burks, we see a clear separation--Burks is ahead.

Burks has proven he can handle real minutes in the NBA and provide starter calibur NBA skills. I don't think Exum has done that yet. Burks has proven he can shoot the ball from range well enough. Exum hasn't. Burks has shown he can beat his man off of the dribble. I agree that he doesn't have a pull up shot game, but being able to beat your man and being able to shoot the ball from deep are the two things that make offense occur. Until someone beats their man, nothing happens. There is no point to endlessly moving the ball around the perimeter playing keep away, unless someone can beat their man and be a scoring threat--either off the dribble/from a cut or else from range (the stretch the floor obsession post Warriors). That is what gets Burks into 30 min a game territory in the past--he's proven he has an NBA skill. And he's proven he can stay on the floor in general. I don't think he's a mess defensively. He's not great there, but its not a major failure. I'm not sure I agree about him benefiting so much from having other better offensive players on the floor with him. His game drive game seems fairly independent from the rest of the offense. And he's seen the green light to burn a great many defenders by himself most of these past years. IT wasn;t just during triple wing formations, he's done it for three seasons now at around 30 minutes and 14 points. That's an NBA player. I agree his finishing isn't strong enough. But add in the fact that he's been a reliable 3 point shooter (40% on 2.5 attempt), that's better than some of our alleged shooters. That makes Burks a fairly complete player. When I look to Exum, I'm just not seeing the comparison.

Now, I'm rooting for Exum to carve out his niche in the NBA, but he hasn't done it yet. He has shown good defense in the past pressuring the ball after the AS break his rookie year, but not so much recently. And he has had injuries of his own that have slowed his development. His pre draft footage was all about his lightning first step, which hasn't translated. He could still turn into something, but I'm not seeing the better player thing yet. What does he bring? He's not a reliable point guard yet. He hasn't proven he can shoot the ball well yet, from range or in the paint. He hasn't shown he can torch his man. Maybe if Burks just isn't healthy enough to play, or perhaps Burks is rusty? Maybe you can expand on the smarts and wins point?

Alec's in a weird spot. It's hard for to look at what he's done and say that he's proven X, Y, and Z because he's been injured for the past three seasons. We don't know what he is anymore. Alec used to be a very good finisher around the basket, but injuries have clearly taken that away from him. 63.7% around the rim his first three season, and 49.8% these last 3 season. It's not so simple to say, he's healthy, he'll get back to where he was. 3 years without being healthy is a long time. It can definitely hamper a player's career, and Alec showed all the symptoms. Even if Alec is 100% healthy, you can't say that he's back. His recovery has more to it than just his health.

The question with Alec that has always been there is, does he help you win? In comparison to Exum, I don't like Alec's case. Yes, Alec put up numbers, but numbers are just numbers until you take a closer look. If you did your same test with Trey Burke, you would also say that he's an NBA player, but that is so far from the truth. It's not sufficient to look at it that way. Joe Ingles would be the counter example to this. He has no stats, never came close to scoring double digits...but he is a very good player.

Alec is a better offensive player, but not by a ton. He has more volume, but he's not more efficient and makes more mistakes. Sometimes less is more, and that's a problem that Alec has. He makes a lot of poor decisions and takes a lot of ill advised shots. He is a much better catch and shoot player than Exum, and that's where his primary advantage lies. But as creating the advantage and scoring, I'd say they're fairly equal going into next season. I love the what the coaching staff has done with Exum's finishing around the basket. He can finish with both hands off both feet, and it feels more reliable than Alec's Houdini plays.

Defensively is not close in my opinion. Alec is a disaster on defense. He is never in defensive stance, always upright. Ron Boone talks about this all the time. It's how athletic guys like Burks and Wiggins can get blown by so easily. When he does get into stance, he's bending at the waist, not his knees. These are the fundamentals that Alec didn't pick up because he was injured. Off the ball he is even worse. He is a complete space cadet with no awareness. He also ends up on the floor so much on offense that it gives up easy baskets the other way. You can play defense while lying on the ground, but that's where Alec finds himself often from the way he plays around the basket.

Exum was disappointing on that end last season, but I'd still say he's was an average defender who was better than that his rookie season. I believe in Exum's chances of becoming a good defender, and think he can be a great defender. He's had a year under him after injuries, and he's still very young. I'm not as optimistic in Alec's chances of becoming a good slasher. He had multiple injuries and was hampered for a much longer period time.

Overall I think Exum is the more disciplined player who does less bad. He's also trending upwards whereas Alec is still in limbo. I can see situations where Alec's talent may be more useful, but in a vacuum I'd prefer Exum at both the 1 and 2. He's going to play, Mitchell is going to play, and Thabo is also going to play. I think Alec is behind all three and there just won't be minutes for him to start out the season.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#111 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:29 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Two way contracts

16.Goss/Wallace
17. Griffin

Really on NGW over Griffen? And on par with Wallace? Have you watched a single SL game because otherwise you are way too high and/or need to support your rankings or take a check on off-handed comments? NGW is not ready and probably never. Neither Wallace or Bolomboy. But Bradley is too good not to stick.

There are two, two-way contract spots. One is going to be used on a PG, well. That will go to either Goss or Wallace most likely. The other spot is up for grabs. I imagine that it's Griffen's if he wants it, but that would be a huge paycut for him. If you're outraged about 16 versus 17, it holds no significance to me. One spot for a PG, another for someone else. That's it.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#112 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:34 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:[

Really? What if I just disagree with your premises? What is shooting? To me that is a 2-3 point shot and sometimes and ones. Some dominant teams are going large on wing bomb 3's and good defense to win. The counter is shut those wing bombers down and make their life very hard so they have to play half court. Then, that defensive team's job is to put the ball in the hoop. I'll take an easy paint 2 every day, plus the and one with finishers.

I would say that shooting means shooting. It's not an abstract term. If you want to score around the basket, you need to draw the defense away from the basket. A dunk or layup is the best shot in basketball, but the defense knows it too. If you don't get defenders away from the basket, you're going to harder time scoring around the basket. You don't get easy two's when the defense packs the paint.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#113 » by Dry Fly » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:05 pm

So I was wrong.... we are actually above the cap and the roster is set pretty much I think.

We are definitely weak on the offensive side of the ball, no getting around that. Not only are we weak offensively, we are relying on guys who aren't all that durable to provide it. If someone goes down it could get ugly and remind us of the Heywood glory years of suck before last season.

On the bright side... we finally have a rook, for the first time since Dwill, that has me really excited. Nothing against Hill, he was great, but we have a real PG for the first time since Dwill. We no longer have the services of Mack. We no longer have to watch the horror show of Trey Lyles. Jerebko could be a solid stretch 4 for us, and Dante might just turn the corner this year.

I don't think we are really screwed or anything. We went from a established talented team to a wildcard unknown team. Heywoods naive decision to go Boston only created a little chaos and uncertainty. I optimistically view this chaos as opportunity.... and not in the lame motivational poster sense, but rather in the sense of karma. The Jazz did it right and Heywood was fooled by his own insecurity.

Either way it goes... I'm psyched to watch this team next year.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#114 » by Luigi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:08 pm

KqWIN wrote:Alec's in a weird spot. It's hard for to look at what he's done and say that he's proven X, Y, and Z because he's been injured for the past three seasons. We don't know what he is anymore. Alec used to be a very good finisher around the basket, but injuries have clearly taken that away from him. 63.7% around the rim his first three season, and 49.8% these last 3 season. It's not so simple to say, he's healthy, he'll get back to where he was. 3 years without being healthy is a long time. It can definitely hamper a player's career, and Alec showed all the symptoms. Even if Alec is 100% healthy, you can't say that he's back. His recovery has more to it than just his health.

The question with Alec that has always been there is, does he help you win? In comparison to Exum, I don't like Alec's case. Yes, Alec put up numbers, but numbers are just numbers until you take a closer look. If you did your same test with Trey Burke, you would also say that he's an NBA player, but that is so far from the truth. It's not sufficient to look at it that way. Joe Ingles would be the counter example to this. He has no stats, never came close to scoring double digits...but he is a very good player.

Alec is a better offensive player, but not by a ton. He has more volume, but he's not more efficient and makes more mistakes. Sometimes less is more, and that's a problem that Alec has. He makes a lot of poor decisions and takes a lot of ill advised shots. He is a much better catch and shoot player than Exum, and that's where his primary advantage lies. But as creating the advantage and scoring, I'd say they're fairly equal going into next season. I love the what the coaching staff has done with Exum's finishing around the basket. He can finish with both hands off both feet, and it feels more reliable than Alec's Houdini plays.

Defensively is not close in my opinion. Alec is a disaster on defense. He is never in defensive stance, always upright. Ron Boone talks about this all the time. It's how athletic guys like Burks and Wiggins can get blown by so easily. When he does get into stance, he's bending at the waist, not his knees. These are the fundamentals that Alec didn't pick up because he was injured. Off the ball he is even worse. He is a complete space cadet with no awareness. He also ends up on the floor so much on offense that it gives up easy baskets the other way. You can play defense while lying on the ground, but that's where Alec finds himself often from the way he plays around the basket.

Exum was disappointing on that end last season, but I'd still say he's was an average defender who was better than that his rookie season. I believe in Exum's chances of becoming a good defender, and think he can be a great defender. He's had a year under him after injuries, and he's still very young. I'm not as optimistic in Alec's chances of becoming a good slasher. He had multiple injuries and was hampered for a much longer period time.

Overall I think Exum is the more disciplined player who does less bad. He's also trending upwards whereas Alec is still in limbo. I can see situations where Alec's talent may be more useful, but in a vacuum I'd prefer Exum at both the 1 and 2. He's going to play, Mitchell is going to play, and Thabo is also going to play. I think Alec is behind all three and there just won't be minutes for him to start out the season.

I agree that there is some mystery going into this season as to where Burks will be. But I do think he was effective through injuries for three seasons, until this last one. Hopefully he has been rehabbing correctly, since he took so much time off for it. We'll have to wait and see on that.

But the fact that he was producing through the Jazz increases in wins each season makes me think he does contribute to winning. I do think he is more efficient than Exum. I'm trying to hold back on this, but the numbers really do show a very large disparity here in multiple areas. And the eye test tells me Burks is the kind of offensive we're gonna need this year.

I'll watch for the defensive lapses on Burks this year. But I do think Burks has a lot of basketball fundamentals under control that Exum doesn't have yet. Injuries have hampered both players so far pretty badly. Exum was more of a project to begin with, so I think he's been hurt worse form an early injury than Burks has by his nagging ones. Burks succeeded before being really hurt last year. I don't think Exum has even succeeded yet. His numbers really are abysmal, and we're looking the other way on a lot of his shortcomings. I'm less hopeful, but I do hold my breath a little for Exum still. But Burks has given consistent production at a high offensive level in NBA minutes (lots of them...for three seasons!) on a team improving in wins each year through that period. That's by far the strongest data point in the comparison.

I mean, we're comparing projects who are still in summer league to an established NBA starter with three seasons of numbers to back him up. Burks has actually done it before, despite the injuries. Exum is still just potential, and aging potential at that. I'm glad Mitchell and Exum are looking good right now in summer league, but I think there is a big gap in that comparison. This is why I think that Burks has the spot to start the season. If he's not healthy, then it would go to Exum, but that's contingency plan stuff. If Exum shows something in NBA minutes, then maybe he can play his way into the rotation. At least that's how I'd look at it. If they're both healthy, I can't bench the guy who's done it before for a guy who has had his chances and hasn't done anything with them yet.

But, as much as I'd miss Burks, I wouldn't be surprised if he was shipped out at the trade deadline and Exum and MItchell moved into his minutes. But if he is on the trade block, and he is healthy, I expect to see him getting a lot of minutes to start the season to showcase him, while the younger guys watch and learn until their chance comes to prove themselves. And I hope they succeed, we need them to live up to some of the hype!
Luigi
General Manager

Post#115 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Looks like the roster is set. Here's my chart until we get pre-season looks at players:

Rubio (32) / Mitchell (16) / Neto
Hood (14) /Burks or Sefolosha (20) / Exum (14)
Ingles (30) / Hood (18) / O'Neale
Favors (12) / Johnson (20) / Jerebko (16) / Udoh / Bolomboy
Gobert (32) / Favors (16) / Bradley

We have a lot of 3s: Hood, Ingles, Sefolosha, and Johnson all belong there, and any of them will be oversized and slow for the 2 spot. Burks is our only natural 2, maybe Exum.

Here's the roster for reference:

Name -- Height -- Standing Reach -- Weight

The 1s
Neto --6'0.50 -- 8'1.50 -- 179
Mitchell -- 6'1.75 -- 8'1.00 -- 211
Rubio -- 6'4? --?? --180? No combine numbers, probably not really that big.

The 2s
Exum -- 6'4.50 -- 8'7.00 -- 196 (+10 lbs?)
Burks -- 6'5.00 -- 8'7.50 -- 193 (+10 lbs?)

The 2/3?
Hood -- 6'7.75 -- 8'7.00 -- 208 (+10 lbs?) He's a future 3 as he adds weight, if he isn't already.
Sefolosha -- 6'6.50? -- 8'9.00? -- 205? No combine numbers. Known for a good wingspan though.
O'Neale -- 6'5.50 -- 8'8.00 -- 220 (+10 lbs?)

The 3s
Ingles -- 6'7.75 -- 8'9.00 -- 209 (+15 lbs?) He has better reach than Hood, and probably more weight with age.
Johnson -- 6'6.75 -- 8'9.00 -- 226 (+25 lbs?) Slower than he used to be, so might check some 4s.
Bolomboy -- 6'7.50 -- 8'7.50 -- 224 (+10 lbs?) Plays bigger than he is, but he is not big.

The 4s
Epke Udoh -- 6'8.75 -- 8'10.50 -- 237 (+20 lbs?)
Jonas Jerebko -- 6'9.75 -- 9'0.00 -- 210 (+15 lbs?)
(Bolomboy by play)
(Johnson by play)

5s
Favors -- 6'8.75 -- 9'2.00 -- 245 (+25 lbs?)
Bradley -- 6'9.75 -- 9'4.50! -- 249
Gobert -- 7'0.50 -- 9'7.00!!! -- 238 (+15 lbs?)

------------------

Common Confusions IMO:
-Mitchell is not playing the 3. He's heavy enough to play the 2, but he'd get shot over by NBA 3s.
-Exum is not playing the 3. He's plenty long to play the 2, but I don't think he is tough enough to deal with NBA 3s.
-Hood is destined to be a 3, but he's young enough to still check 2s.
-Ingles and Johnson are natural 3s. But Johnson will play a lot of small ball 4 when we aren't going going twin towers.
-Favors is a Center. Especially as he ages. He should play as many minutes there as possible.

Averages for reference:

Average Dimensions Drafted into the NBA:
Position--No Shoes--Standing Reach--Weight
PG -- 6'1.25 -- 8'1.50 -- 185
SG -- 6'4.00 -- 8'4.75 -- 198
SF -- 6'6.75 -- 8'8.50 -- 215
PF -- 6'8.25 -- 8'11.50 -- 229
C -- 6'10.50 -- 9'2.25 -- 245

Average Dimensions for Lottery Picks:
PG -- 6'2.25 -- 8'2.50 -- 182
SG -- 6'4.00 -- 8'4.25 -- 194
SF -- 6'7.00 -- 8'9.25 -- 218
PF -- 6'8.75 -- 9'0.00 -- 231
C -- 6'10.75 -- 9'2.75 -- 243
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#116 » by dautjazz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Luigi wrote:Looks like the roster is set. Here's my chart until we get pre-season looks at players:

Rubio (32) / Mitchell (16) / Neto
Hood (14) /Burks or Sefolosha (20) / Exum (14)
Ingles (30) / Hood (18) / O'Neale
Favors (12) / Johnson (20) / Jerebko (16) / Udoh / Bolomboy
Gobert (32) / Favors (16) / Bradley

We have a lot of 3s: Hood, Ingles, Sefolosha, and Johnson all belong there, and any of them will be oversized and slow for the 2 spot. Burks is our only natural 2, maybe Exum.

Here's the roster for reference:

Name -- Height -- Standing Reach -- Weight

The 1s
Neto --6'0.50 -- 8'1.50 -- 179
Mitchell -- 6'1.75 -- 8'1.00 -- 211
Rubio -- 6'4? --?? --180? No combine numbers, probably not really that big.

The 2s
Exum -- 6'4.50 -- 8'7.00 -- 196 (+10 lbs?)
Burks -- 6'5.00 -- 8'7.50 -- 193 (+10 lbs?)

The 2/3?
Hood -- 6'7.75 -- 8'7.00 -- 208 (+10 lbs?) He's a future 3 as he adds weight, if he isn't already.
Sefolosha -- 6'6.50? -- 8'9.00? -- 205? No combine numbers. Known for a good wingspan though.
O'Neale -- 6'5.50 -- 8'8.00 -- 220 (+10 lbs?)

The 3s
Ingles -- 6'7.75 -- 8'9.00 -- 209 (+15 lbs?) He has better reach than Hood, and probably more weight with age.
Johnson -- 6'6.75 -- 8'9.00 -- 226 (+25 lbs?) Slower than he used to be, so might check some 4s.
Bolomboy -- 6'7.50 -- 8'7.50 -- 224 (+10 lbs?) Plays bigger than he is, but he is not big.

The 4s
Epke Udoh -- 6'8.75 -- 8'10.50 -- 237 (+20 lbs?)
Jonas Jerebko -- 6'9.75 -- 9'0.00 -- 210 (+15 lbs?)
(Bolomboy by play)
(Johnson by play)

5s
Favors -- 6'8.75 -- 9'2.00 -- 245 (+25 lbs?)
Bradley -- 6'9.75 -- 9'4.50! -- 249
Gobert -- 7'0.50 -- 9'7.00!!! -- 238 (+15 lbs?)

------------------

Common Confusions IMO:
-Mitchell is not playing the 3. He's heavy enough to play the 2, but he'd get shot over by NBA 3s.
-Exum is not playing the 3. He's plenty long to play the 2, but I don't think he is tough enough to deal with NBA 3s.
-Hood is destined to be a 3, but he's young enough to still check 2s.
-Ingles and Johnson are natural 3s. But Johnson will play a lot of small ball 4 when we aren't going going twin towers.
-Favors is a Center. Especially as he ages. He should play as many minutes there as possible.

Averages for reference:

Average Dimensions Drafted into the NBA:
PG -- 6'1.25 -- 8'1.50 -- 185
SG -- 6'4.00 -- 8'4.75 -- 198
SF -- 6'6.75 -- 8'8.50 -- 215
PF -- 6'8.25 -- 8'11.50 -- 229
C -- 6'10.50 -- 9'2.25 -- 245

Average Dimensions for Lottery Picks:
PG -- 6'2.25 -- 8'2.50 -- 182
SG -- 6'4.00 -- 8'4.25 -- 194
SF -- 6'7.00 -- 8'9.25 -- 218
PF -- 6'8.75 -- 9'0.00 -- 231
C -- 6'10.75 -- 9'2.75 -- 243

Weird that you list Favors as the center, which he certainly plays for us as soon as Gobert sits, but he is still primarily a PF for us. If anything I put him in 4/5's.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#117 » by Luigi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:26 am

dautjazz wrote:Weird that you list Favors as the center, which he certainly plays for us as soon as Gobert sits, but he is still primarily a PF for us. If anything I put him in 4/5's.

Did you look at the reasoning?

Favors has center dimensions (look at the numbers I listed). He is one of 3 centers that we have on the roster (not the center). He should play all the backup minutes to Gobert there, and then the rest of his minutes at 4. It's better for him to play there where he has a speed advantage, it's better for our defense to use Favors instead of Bradley. It clears up room at the forward positions for others. It keeps more shooters on the floor at a time. Favors is a 5/4. Why not maximize he minutes at 5? I see almost no downside.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#118 » by dautjazz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Luigi wrote:
dautjazz wrote:Weird that you list Favors as the center, which he certainly plays for us as soon as Gobert sits, but he is still primarily a PF for us. If anything I put him in 4/5's.

Did you look at the reasoning?

Favors has center dimensions (look at the numbers I listed). He is one of 3 centers that we have on the roster (not the center). He should play all the backup minutes to Gobert there, and then the rest of his minutes at 4. It's better for him to play there where he has a speed advantage, it's better for our defense to use Favors instead of Bradley. It clears up room at the forward positions for others. It keeps more shooters on the floor at a time. Favors is a 5/4. Why not maximize he minutes at 5? I see almost no downside.

I completely agree with you. In a perfect world I got Gobert around 34 mins and I give Favors all the reserve center minutes, and around 20 minutes at PF too. I just classify Favors more of a big or a PF/C. Certainly if Gobert wasn't on the team he's our starting center and I play him only at center as PF is an easier position to replace, atleast on our team.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#119 » by BudTugly » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Favors is way better than a backup.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#120 » by Luigi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:15 pm

BudTugly wrote:Favors is way better than a backup.

He's a 30 minute big, if he's healthy. But he's not as good as Gobert. Backup doesn't really mean much here.

Return to Utah Jazz