2014 off season

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: 2014 off season 

Post#361 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 11:36 pm

Huestis thinks he'll be a 70 in 2k? He'll be closer to 50's if not in the 50's.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man
And1: 615

Post#362 » by HeartSouloma » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:28 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't OKC had a interest in Leandro Barbosa? I wouldn't mind adding him in the starting-line for a cheap price.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#363 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:50 am

Hadn't heard anything, but semi-OT, was messing arounf looking at draft stuff on DX and Russ's "best case" to them was Barbosa :lol:.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#364 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:32 pm

So apparently Roc Nation has KD going healthy, kinda cool:
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/08/18 ... ervatives/
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
guille4s
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#365 » by guille4s » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:45 pm

It seems no extension for Reggie.
Risky to put him in RFA
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#366 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 pm

I don't know why people think RFA is such a risk. Reggie will get a $6-8M/yr offer sheet and the Thunder will match it. He could end up like Bledsoe and not get an offer sheet from another team and be stuck with only the Thunder to talk to. No big deal. The PG market is going to be pretty big next year which will drive down the perceived cost of Reggie. Rondo, Kemba Walker, Monta Ellis (player option), Patrick Beverly, Jeremy Lin, Rubio and Dragic (player option). Bledsoe could also be a UFA if he takes the QO instead of a muti-year deal. That is a lot of options and since several of them will be unrestricted teams will go after those first so they aren't stuck doing nothing for 3 days until the Thunder match their offer and lose out on other PG options.

PG is the deepest position right now in the NBA. Reggie is a great backup PG. However, he would be one of the bottom 10 starting PGs. No one is going to come after him with a max offer. No one is going to think of Reggie as the player that puts them over the top and offers him $12M/yr. He will be viewed as a passable starting PG where he would be the 3rd or 4th best player on a team. He's an ideal candidate to get a MLE offers, but he probably won't accept those. The risk of not working out a reasonable extension this off-season is all on Reggie. If I'm Presti my offer is 4yr/$24M and I might go up to $28M. However, after that I let him test FA without any concern of him getting an offer over 4yr/$35M. I also don't want to extend him at this point, because I have 2 months to do so, because I might get an offer for him worth trading him for.

If there is any chance in them landing Monroe it would probably include Reggie as the primary piece. So if they are at all interested in Monroe they can not extend Reggie because it changes his cap number and limits their options. There is no upside to giving Reggie an extension until right before the season starts.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by bondom34 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. He's not worth more than 8 per year in any way, and I'd rather them try to deal for Monroe w/ him than overpay. Maybe something's still in the cards, I wouldn't be against it if they found a replacement backup PG.
guille4s
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#368 » by guille4s » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm not so optimistic. I can see a team as Philly, Milwaukee giving him 8 - +10M and I don't know if the Thunder could match in that range. In a bad case, they might agree a S&T before the signing or before February.
But if he want to start I'm not sure we can give that here.
P.S: I'd give Perk, Reggie, PJ for Monroe, Singler in a second
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#369 » by Devilanche » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

isaiah thomas receive a deal around 6m-ish. I doubt someone offering reggie more than 8m. If they did he probably perform extremely well this upcoming season or the salary cap increase by so much that a 7m contract become the MLE.

I would do Perk, Reggie, 1st for Monroe as well. Wouldn't mind adding on Will Bynum for Telfair if it still keep us under the tax.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#370 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:33 pm

The MLE will be $5.464M next season. It doesn't matter what the cap increases by the MLE for each season was worked out in the CBA. The MLE increases 3% each year rather the cap increases, decreases or stays the same.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#371 » by Devilanche » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:35 am

then i doubt we have to worry about Reggie getting too big a contract. Unless the deal seems fair or a bargain, we're better off waiting for next offseason.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man

Post#372 » by HeartSouloma » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:49 am

I smell Harden 2.0 trade coming soon. Seriously, OKC can't be developing players and not throw their money on them, we're contending for a title. I don't think RJ is worth 10 mil a season, maybe 7-8 but not 10 mill. Who knows what will happen.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#373 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Reggie wishes he was near the top at his position like Harden is. Doolittle did his WARP projects the other day and 24 PGs would have ranked in the top 10 of SG. That is how shallow SG is right now and why it is getting overpaid. Look at the contracts this off-season for comparable PGs. Reggie might get an offer of $7M/yr as an RFA, although even that much is unlikely. With the depth out there next off-season at PG no one is going to overpay for a good backup PG. Reggie would have to take a huge step up this year to become a top priority for any team and that is unlikely given he'll be stuck behind Russ.

Reggie might take the QO next off-season to hit FA again before the 2016-2017, but that would give Semaj two years to develop into a backup PG. So I'm not worried about it. I have absolutely zero concern of a team offering a player who isn't in the top 20 at their position more than $7M/yr when they are an RFA and it eliminates them on all the UFAs who are similar and better. Either Reggie has an inflated sense of his market value right now or Presti is waiting until deeper into the off-season to discuss a serious extension, because once he is signed it eliminates the option of trading him for someone like Monroe or another better player.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#374 » by bondom34 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 am

sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#375 » by sonictecture » Tue Sep 2, 2014 10:29 pm

The deadline date to sign a player to an extension is October 31,2014.

How are posters choosing to determine Jackson's value either to the Thunder or the open market? What are the comparisons?
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man

Post#376 » by HeartSouloma » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:47 am

RJ wants max money and a starting position...

http://fansided.com/2014/09/02/reggie-j ... t/#!bOSqI1

Presti is going to trade him.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#377 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:36 am

Those are some old quotes. Also, just because he wants to start doesn't mean any team would let him. I'm really having a hard time seeing them trade him. I fully expect them to let it play out in RFA where he will either take the QO then test UFA after the 2015-2016 season, similar to what Bledsoe and Monroe are threatening to do, or he will sign an offer sheet for $6-8M/yr and Presti will match it.

If Reggie isn't going to sign with a team that would have him as the backup he might just go to Europe after this year. He could be a starter for most teams there. In the NBA he just isn't a good enough player to be a starting PG unless he plans on signing with a team that will be in the lottery every year and then they will draft a starting PG after a few years and he'll end up a backup again.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#378 » by bondom34 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 4:10 am

I just read that article, its what Kizz said. And it doesn't say he wants a max offer at all (if he does :lol: :lol: :lol: he's gonna be incredibly bummed, considering guys twice as good as him aren't gettin them). I could see them give him a shot to start at SG just to see how it works, or if he's better on the sixth man spot. Ultimately, like Kizz said again, I can't see him fetch over about 8 per year, and think he stays.

I do think he could start for a handful of teams, but again, it wouldn't be a contending team, so if he'd rather be a starter for a bad team, it's his choice, but it would seem a poor one to me. He ranks 23rd in RPM among PGs, just behind Mario Chalmers, and a touch ahead of Greivis Vasquez who just got a 2/13 deal. Max contract :lol:.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#379 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Sep 3, 2014 4:15 am

sonictecture wrote:The deadline date to sign a player to an extension is October 31,2014.

How are posters choosing to determine Jackson's value either to the Thunder or the open market? What are the comparisons?

I'm comparing him to guys like Jeremy Lin, Jeff Teague, Jose Calderon, Brandon Jennings, Isaiah Thomas, Monta Ellis and other similar players who all signed recently in the $6-8M/yr range. Kyle Lowry got $12M/yr this off-season and is a significantly better PG than Reggie or anyone else I mentioned. I also expect the depth of next year's PG class to drive down the offers Reggie gets. Teams needing a PG will have a lot of options in the UFA market that are equal and better to Reggie before they start making RFA offers. There will also be better RFA options. If Reggie was a UFA I would almost expect him to get around $8M/yr. With him being an RFA and the 2nd or 3rd choice of whatever team(s) offer him a contract it'll be down around $6-7M.

I refuse to believe any front office is dumb enough to offer him $10M/yr. Although I could see a team offer him $8M/yr in a poison pill contract and him take that knowing OKC couldn't match it due to the pay schedule. Dallas could do it with Mark Cuban leading the charge, but I can't imagine he'd do that before striking out on Rondo. Maybe Houston as they did it to land Lin.

Milwaukee if they don't stick with Kendall Marshall. Dallas might, but I'd expect them to be going after Rondo or others ahead of Reggie. Maybe Houston if they strike out on other PGs and feel he would be an upgrade to Patrick Beverly for them. The Lakers will be pursuing a PG next off-season. Sacramento might look for a PG. However, that is only four teams that will be in need of a potential starting PG next off-season and they will have Rondo, Dragic and Lin to choose from in UFA and probably Eric Beledsoe as well. Rubio will also be a RFA and while he is saying he wants a 5 year max deal to stay in Minny I'm willing to bet they won't give him that and since they drafted LaVine they have options for when they let Rubio walk next off-season as a RFA, assuming they don't trade him to one of the PG starved teams, i.e. Sacramento, first. That is before they address anything in the draft, ignoring trade options and ignoring their cap situations. There just are not a lot of landing spots for Reggie with PG being as deep as it is and with seven potential first round PGs, including one projected in the top three and two others in the top 20, those spots could dry up fast.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by bondom34 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 5:59 am

Add Kemba Walker to the RFAs as well, RJ will likely get a little more than Brandon Knight.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder