2014 off season

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Re: 2014 off season 

Post#401 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:46 pm

Why would Detroit do it for Roberson? They have Monroe for this year and the only way you can get him is to give them something they could find useful. To me that player is PJ3. I realize Detroit has no leverage to keep Monroe, but that doesn't mean they are going to give him away for players they also won't keep next year. The can keep Monroe and either use him as their 6th man or continue to start him at PF. Monroe has to play hard to earn the max payday he thinks he has coming next off-season.

OKC also isn't the only team that would be interested in trading for Monroe for this year. Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, Dallas, Chicago and Golden State all come to mind as teams that could use a player like him for this year. So Detroit still has some leverage even if it isn't as much as they had before. Cleveland could offer Tristan Thompson for Monroe as I don't think they will re-sign him after this year when he hits RFA and start Monroe over Varejao to try to keep him healthy. The other issue is that by signing the QO it treats Monroe as any other FA signing a new deal and he can't be traded until December 15th, according to the ESPN trade machine. So there is a lot of time for an injury to drive demand or a team like Phoenix to show improvement and want to add a legitimate low post scorer, etc.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#402 » by bondom34 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:40 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Why would Detroit do it for Roberson? They have Monroe for this year and the only way you can get him is to give them something they could find useful. To me that player is PJ3. I realize Detroit has no leverage to keep Monroe, but that doesn't mean they are going to give him away for players they also won't keep next year. The can keep Monroe and either use him as their 6th man or continue to start him at PF. Monroe has to play hard to earn the max payday he thinks he has coming next off-season.

OKC also isn't the only team that would be interested in trading for Monroe for this year. Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, Dallas, Chicago and Golden State all come to mind as teams that could use a player like him for this year. So Detroit still has some leverage even if it isn't as much as they had before. Cleveland could offer Tristan Thompson for Monroe as I don't think they will re-sign him after this year when he hits RFA and start Monroe over Varejao to try to keep him healthy. The other issue is that by signing the QO it treats Monroe as any other FA signing a new deal and he can't be traded until December 15th, according to the ESPN trade machine. So there is a lot of time for an injury to drive demand or a team like Phoenix to show improvement and want to add a legitimate low post scorer, etc.

Oh, not saying I'd be against it if it were PJ, but I think the most likely at this point is he stays in Detroit, as there's basically no real incentive to trade for him w/o cap space next year. Unless of course the cap jumps, but I think that's supposedly in 2 years, and I don't yet believe it fully.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#403 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Sep 8, 2014 5:46 pm

The cap will jump in three years when the players opt out of the CBA and a new one is worked out giving the players a bigger piece of the pie. In two years the new TV deal kicks in, but that isn't very significant for what Monroe would need, something like $3M per team. The current CBA cut the player share significantly because several NBA teams were losing money. The teams worked out a new revenue sharing system that has made all teams profitable so the players will expect to get at least some of that money back.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man
And1: 615

Post#404 » by HeartSouloma » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:35 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/515177018452086784[/tweet]

Time to unleash Kiwi! 8-)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/515179155932332032[/tweet]

No way RJ is going to sign without paying him big money like EB... I don't mind Presti trading RJ, unless it's for the right talent.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#405 » by bondom34 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:56 pm

RJ's not getting near what Bledsoe got. If he gets about 2/3 of it, that's about right. He's just not as good.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#406 » by sonictecture » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:04 pm

bondom34 wrote:RJ's not getting near what Bledsoe got. If he gets about 2/3 of it, that's about right. He's just not as good.

These kind of statements always surprise me. How can you definitively state a persons market value at this point in their career?

Bledsoe wasn't worth 70M at this time last year and now he is.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#407 » by bondom34 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:10 pm

sonictecture wrote:
bondom34 wrote:RJ's not getting near what Bledsoe got. If he gets about 2/3 of it, that's about right. He's just not as good.

These kind of statements always surprise me. How can you definitively state a persons market value at this point in their career?

OK, I can't say for sure, but Bledsoe's increased role was largely what made him worth 70 million. Is Jackson going to see that big a role with Westbrook, Durant, and Ibaka on the team? Unless someone is injured, I would hope not. If someone is injured, then there are larger worries to me anyway. I can't state his market value, but I can say this: Through 3 years, the 2 have played nearly identical minutes overall. In Bledsoe's 4th season, he saw significant increase in time and role on the team. If Jackson does, that means there's likely something wrong (or he's starting at SG, which I wouldn't mind trying occasionally). I have a tough time seeing his value increase that much.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#408 » by sonictecture » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:26 pm

bondom34 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:

OK, I can't say for sure, but Bledsoe's increased role was largely what made him worth 70 million. Is Jackson going to see that big a role with Westbrook, Durant, and Ibaka on the team? Unless someone is injured, I would hope not. If someone is injured, then there are larger worries to me anyway. I can't state his market value, but I can say this: Through 3 years, the 2 have played nearly identical minutes overall. In Bledsoe's 4th season, he saw significant increase in time and role on the team. If Jackson does, that means there's likely something wrong (or he's starting at SG, which I wouldn't mind trying occasionally). I have a tough time seeing his value increase that much.

This is incorrect IMO.

Bledsoe got 5 years and 70M because Phoenix came to realize that he would be able to get that on the open market if they didn't offer it. Phoenix was willing to invest in Bledsoe as a core piece of the team. The core pieces of the team get paid.

Is Jackson a core piece of the Thunder team? Presti just stated as much, but I would say that this season should be telling.

Jackson played 28mpg last season, it is not too difficult to imagine that increasing if his play continues to increase.

I read once that one of the most difficult but important aspects of takent evaluation was being able to effectively evaluate your own players. You are a Thunder fan, but I'm not sure you have Jackson accurately evaluated.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#409 » by bondom34 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 pm

sonictecture wrote:This is incorrect IMO.

Bledsoe got 5 years and 70M because Phoenix came to realize that he would be able to get that on the open market if they didn't offer it. Phoenix was willing to invest in Bledsoe as a core piece of the team. The core pieces of the team get paid.

Is Jackson a core piece of the Thunder team? Presti just stated as much, but I would say that this season should be telling.

Jackson played 28mpg last season, it is not too difficult to imagine that increasing if his play continues to increase.

I read once that one of the most difficult but important aspects of takent evaluation was being able to effectively evaluate your own players. You are a Thunder fan, but I'm not sure you have Jackson accurately evaluated.

The bolded I haven't seen a source for. The only team I've heard willing to come remotely close is Minnesota, and that was more or less a vague rumor. As for Jackson's role relative to Bledsoe, its not just minutes, but the fact that there are 2 high usage scorers already on the team, I just don't see the way that he goes up that much in usage to a point of being as big as Bledsoe. As well, the PG market this year wasn't terribly strong, next year will have Rondo, Dragic, Rubio, and Walker (all who are clearly above RJ), as well as Knight and a few others in his general range. My general view of RJ is pretty good, but I don't think he's a starter for a real contender, a good offensive player, slightly subpar defender, and a very high quality backup PG/SG who can make spot starts.

I agree that they likely keep RJ, I've said it before, but speculating on his market price is part of what we do here. Otherwise, the forum would have very little to discuss considering it is a team matter. Plus, I don't remember it as well, but I don't think Presti ever said anything similar to that with Harden, which makes me doubt RJ is traded.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#410 » by sonictecture » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:31 pm

You need a source to confirm why Phoenix was holding steady on their offer of 4/48 until the "rumor" of Minnesota's willingness to sign Bledsoe to a max offer, followed by Phoenix upping their offer to 5/70M? Why would a source be any more real than just connecting the dots?

You weren't just speculating on Jackson's market, but declaring it.

I don't believe that points per game or even role will be the determinate of Jackson's market value. Players don't have to arrive or prove themselves worthy of a max or near max deal to get one on the open market. That has been proven time and time again.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#411 » by bondom34 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:34 pm

sonictecture wrote:You need a source to confirm why Phoenix was holding steady on their offer of 4/48 until the "rumor" of Minnesota's willingness to sign Bledsoe to a max offer, followed by Phoenix upping their offer to 5/70M? Why would a source be any more real than just connecting the dots?

You weren't just speculating on Jackson's market, but declaring it.

I don't believe that points per game or even role will be the determinate of Jackson's market value. Players don't have to arrive or prove themselves worthy of a max or near max deal to get one on the open market. That has been proven time and time again.

Everything we do here is speculating, not declaring anything, just talking about what is likely or is an opinion. Otherwise, I'll just say it now. Perkins will be traded for Marc Gasol. There, I declared it. :D

Also, no source needed, but why 5/70 then, why not 5/65? Minnesota couldn't offer that, the market was in the end set by a single team, then Phoenix decided to be proactive. As I said above, next year's PG market is better, and likely those others will demand more than RJ. I just don't see the way that someone throws 10 mil at him, sorry, if they do more power to RJ, but unless Westbrook is injured and he plays extremely well, I don't see it.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#412 » by KD35Brah » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Here are some meaningful quotes on Media Day:

Russell Westbrook:

On what he needs to get better at: “I think it’s important for me to come back a better leader. I think at my position it’s important.”

On how he’s feeling: “I’ve been feeling great all summer. I’m excited to get the season under wraps and be able to practice during training camp instead of watching. I’m just blessed to be in this position.”

On coming back smarter: “I’ve watched every game throughout the summer. Every shot, every turnover, every assist, every rebound, I’ve watched it all. There is definitely a lot of things that I’ve learned and a lot things I’m going to come back this year better.”

On what the young guys bring: “Toughness. Steven is one of the toughest guys I’ve seen. I’m just excited for him and the position he’s in.”

Reggie Jackson:

On what he needs to do this year: “Just continue to be aggressive. The paint is where I make my money.”

About his summer: “The past week I just got off my feet. Got our work done that we did as a team in and try to gear down and get ready for these two-a-days starting training camp. Hopefully I feel pretty healthy. I feel good about the work I put in this summer.”

On why he wants to be the starter: “Because I want to be great. I can’t remember anyone great that wasn’t a starter.”

Will they take the next step? I think so, i'm really excited to see Westbrook this season. ALso ecited to see what Durant has added to his game this season and if he will make an even bigger impact.
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man

Post#413 » by HeartSouloma » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:28 pm

:D :lol:
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#414 » by bondom34 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Adams needs an endorsement deal with Gilette.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#415 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:01 pm

In a flash....
[tweet]https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/517013098587488256[/tweet]
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#416 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 4:38 am

Wow...I believe it too.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/516634026829164544[/tweet]
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man

Post#417 » by HeartSouloma » Wed Oct 1, 2014 10:04 pm

bondom34 wrote:Wow...I believe it too.

:lol:

Can't wait to see what happens (even though we all know who's going to start). :)

CAMP BATTLES!! 8-)

Steven Adams working on post moves

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#418 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 11:24 pm

I hope!
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#419 » by KD35Brah » Thu Oct 2, 2014 12:28 am

bondom34 wrote:Wow...I believe it too.

He doesn't want to **** on Perk publicly.

There is no one else but Adams available. Mcgary is a rookie, Collison won't be the center, and Perkins is out with injury.

I'm extremely happy with this decision.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#420 » by bondom34 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:09 am

Adams jumps 276 spots in the ESPN 500. Still can't stand ESPN, but I think that's the biggest jump for a player so far, he was 406 last year, up to 130!

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder