Mitch McGary

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Mitch McGary 

Post#1 » by Balkman32 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:56 am

Love this pick! A little high, but you have to take the guy on the top of your board.
Loud_city
Rookie
And1: 921

Re: Mitch McGary 

Post#2 » by Loud_city » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:02 am

Decent pick
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#3 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:27 am

Low reward high risk pick in my eyes. Cole Aldrich 2.0.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Balkman32 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:52 am

Don't say that. More. Collison than Cole.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,502

Post#5 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:13 am

He is a lot more athletic than Aldrich was. He is also better on the glass. He's not a shot blocker, which Aldrich was. He's definitely more of a PF than a center. He's going to have to improve his mid-range game and toughen up a bit to defend PFs like Randolph. He's more similar to Blake Griffin than Cole Aldrich in style, athleticism and skill set not that McGary and Blake are close to the same level, but he is more that type of player. A guy that can jump out of the building. A more athletic Collison might be the simplest comparison to make.

The biggest concern is after the draft the Thunder now have at least 3 if not 4 guys who need to be in the D-league. That means a short bench. Jarrett, Roberson and Huestis definitely need to be in the D-league and a case could be made for McGary. That leaves a very short bench with Thabeet at the end of a 10-11 man NBA roster.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing McGary in the Summer League to see how he looks since he hasn't played much the last year. If his back is not an issue there is a chance he could be a very good 3rd big man behind Adams and Ibaka. He's got the athleticism to be an interesting center in small ball lineups. He was just such a surprise pick because of the way he was forced to declare and the lack of ball he has played since his tournament run as a freshman.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#6 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:01 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:He is a lot more athletic than Aldrich was. He is also better on the glass. He's not a shot blocker, which Aldrich was. He's definitely more of a PF than a center. He's going to have to improve his mid-range game and toughen up a bit to defend PFs like Randolph. He's more similar to Blake Griffin than Cole Aldrich in style, athleticism and skill set not that McGary and Blake are close to the same level, but he is more that type of player. A guy that can jump out of the building. A more athletic Collison might be the simplest comparison to make.

You thinking of the same McGary? Because he's not an explosive athlete. He grades out similarity athletically to Aldrich who was a very nice athlete for a 6'11" guy too.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jackson77
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#7 » by jackson77 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 pm

In such a loaded draft, very bad choice for 21. pick
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#8 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Balkman32 wrote:Love this pick! A little high, but you have to take the guy on the top of your board.

I hear Mitch was more than just a little high.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#9 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:Love this pick! A little high, but you have to take the guy on the top of your board.

I hear Mitch was more than just a little high.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well played sir, well played.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
OldeBoy
Junior
And1: 189

Post#10 » by OldeBoy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:20 pm

He seems a lot tougher and more competitive than Aldrich. Aldrich was a bit of a dough boy who seemed content to just goof off on the bench.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Balkman32 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:32 pm

jackson77 wrote:In such a loaded draft, very bad choice for 21. pick

Who did you want @ 21? McGary was being targeted by Memphis. Sometimes it is not about the most skilled player but, its getting a guy who will work hard and fits the locker room.

The Thunder obvi thought that Huestis was better than KJ McDaniels. They are very similar. I am sure you would have been happy w/ him there. I think this kid can be a 3-D guy.

The Thunder now need to address the SG/PG position. They have Jackson and Lamb, but they need one more guy it could be a backup point that moved Jackson to the starting line up, or a backup 2 that moved Lamb into the starting line up, or a starting 2 that allows the 2nd unit of Jackson and Lamb to stay together and try to build a bench that can score some points.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Aldrich was very stiff and mechanical in movement. McGary is loose and flows. Assuming that makes sense to you it is a huge difference. Aldrich was more bull in the china shop try to ran into you and move you where McGary has some finesse. As for it being an overdraft I think everyone picked from 10 to 24 was an overdraft. If McGary's back is right it will end up being a very good pick. If his back acts up on regularly than it will end up as a bad pick.

I liked the Semaj pick better than the other two. McGary can be a solid role player, but he's never going to be a rim protector. Presti basically has an idea for what he wants out of each position/role and he appears to be trying to replace parts as their time comes to an end instead of going for what others could perceive as a better skill set to have. I really wanted Capela due to his ability to protect the rim and rebound. Basically with him as the backup PF it would be taking Ibaka out of the game for another Ibaka type of player. Presti wants his Collison type of player on the bench so that is what he took.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Michigantown
Senior
And1: 220

Post#13 » by Michigantown » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:59 pm

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:20 pm

mcgary's an underrated athlete. maybe not vertically where he's just ok, but moving his feet laterally and getting up and down the floor he's very good for someone with his bulk.

he will be able to hedge, recover and defend in space. he sprint screens very well, is quick to the ball in rebounding and loose ball situations and he'll also bust his ass up and down the floor looking for rim runs.

i'm looking forward to seeing adams and mcgary on the court at the same time. 2 of my favorite players from the past 2 drafts. i guarantee one thing, that duo, if they see time together will never get punked, out-muscled or out-worked.
2 underrated passers too. hopefully they don't get ignored on offense like i think they will.

and don't pay attention to the mocks. they don't determine who's a reach or not. GMs don't really pay attention to mocks.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#15 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 pm

ManualRam wrote:mcgary's an underrated athlete. maybe not vertically where he's just ok, but moving his feet laterally and getting up and down the floor he's very good for someone with his bulk.

he will be able to hedge, recover and defend in space. he sprint screens very well, is quick to the ball in rebounding and loose ball situations and he'll also bust his ass up and down the floor looking for rim runs.

i'm looking forward to seeing adams and mcgary on the court at the same time. 2 of my favorite players from the past 2 drafts. i guarantee one thing, that duo, if they see time together will never get punked, out-muscled or out-worked.
2 underrated passers too. hopefully they don't get ignored on offense like i think they will.

and don't pay attention to the mocks. they don't determine who's a reach or not. GMs don't really pay attention to mocks.

Thanks for the input man, you do good stuff on the draft boards, appreciated!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jackson77
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#16 » by jackson77 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Balkman32 wrote:

Who did you want @ 21? McGary was being targeted by Memphis. Sometimes it is not about the most skilled player but, its getting a guy who will work hard and fits the locker room.

The Thunder obvi thought that Huestis was better than KJ McDaniels. They are very similar. I am sure you would have been happy w/ him there. I think this kid can be a 3-D guy.

The Thunder now need to address the SG/PG position. They have Jackson and Lamb, but they need one more guy it could be a backup point that moved Jackson to the starting line up, or a backup 2 that moved Lamb into the starting line up, or a starting 2 that allows the 2nd unit of Jackson and Lamb to stay together and try to build a bench that can score some points.

Adams,McDaniels, Hood, Napier, Capela, Hairston, Anderson, Dinwiddie, Early...
McGary maybe with the 29th pick
I would be happy with McDaniels or Adaams buckup Lamb, really like Christon pick up
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#17 » by Laimbeer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 am

Considering value, fit (and my own homerism) this was my favorite pick of the draft. McGary is as NBA ready as any big man. He'll be a great fit beside Ibaka or Adams. Hustles, physical, strong, great picks, nice offensive skills, excellent rebounder with good hands and touch. Garbage man when he needs to be. Gets up and down the floor surprisingly well. The only concern would be his health, but I see no reason to think it's chronic.

I thought he was the steal of the draft going in and landing in OKC makes him a doubly great choice. He was the best player for OKC at that point without a doubt.
Space Dracula
Junior
And1: 160

Post#18 » by Space Dracula » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:32 am

I agree with many of the thoughts re: McGary vs. Aldrich. McGary seems much more fluid both as an athlete and with the ball in his hands. His highlights are peppered with instances where he gets the ball in transition, takes a few dribbles, and makes a pass (in control) to a guard. Aldrich couldn't advance the ball the same way. Seems like a small thing but I think it's indicative of a fundamental difference in their games.

Conversely, I don't believe McGary will ever be a defensive player with the type of potential Aldrich had (realized or not). Not a guy who will effect shots at the rim. But he's a big guy with decent lateral quickness and (what appears to me) a strong lower body. This killed Aldrich in his time here. Never stood a chance of holding position on the defensive glass. Don't think McGary will have that issue.

Honestly, I see a guy with many of the same qualities as a younger Nick Collison, though probably less defined. It took Collison several years before he became the defensive player he is today (and he was a 24 year old rookie, four year college player). I expect McGary will struggle some defensively to begin but could be a solid role player offensively as soon as 2015-16.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Balkman32 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:47 am

jackson77 wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

Adams,McDaniels, Hood, Napier, Capela, Hairston, Anderson, Dinwiddie, Early...
McGary maybe with the 29th pick
I would be happy with McDaniels or Adaams buckup Lamb, really like Christon pick up

The Thunder believe that Huestis is better than McDaniels. Let's see how it plays out.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:08 am

Balkman32 wrote:The Thunder believe that Huestis is better than McDaniels. Let's see how it plays out.

I'm fairly certain that Damien Inglis will be better then Huestis in three years when it will matter. Huestis takes up the 14th roster spot. Semaj takes up #15, unless they paid $1M for a Summer League player. Is Huestis better than other players that could be in that roster spot? Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, C.J. Miles, Nick Young, Jodie Meeks, etc? Are they all inferior to Huestis?

I know, they can cut Thabeet to open up one roster spot and add an FA. Then they have no flexibility when a player gets bought out at the trade deadline. They also only have the ability to add one FA instead of two. So what happens when that one pulls a Fisher in the playoffs and shots 25% from 3? They don't have another option to throw in there because Huestis and Roberson are D-League players and not ready for the NBA.

The Thunder have 3 SGs on the roster and two of them have been slated for the D-League. They already have 15 players. That's going to be real interesting.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder