Greg Monroe to OKC?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Re: Greg Monroe to OKC? 

Post#21 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:36 pm

Space Dracula wrote:Mark Deeks has Meeks, Augustin and Butler on their books already.

Does he have numbers or just them as having agreed to terms? Until those contracts are signed and the actual numbers are out there BYC has no relevance. It also possible that all three of them are signed and they still have room to do a S&T with Monroe without going over the cap to kick in BYC. Meeks will get around $6M this year, Butler is getting $3M, Augustin is getting $3M. So even if they have inked the contracts, which I haven't seen confirmed, just that they have agreed to terms. A S&T with Monroe can go up to $13M without triggering BYC.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#22 » by bondom34 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:48 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Space Dracula wrote:Mark Deeks has Meeks, Augustin and Butler on their books already.

Does he have numbers or just them as having agreed to terms? Until those contracts are signed and the actual numbers are out there BYC has no relevance. It also possible that all three of them are signed and they still have room to do a S&T with Monroe without going over the cap to kick in BYC. Meeks will get around $6M this year, Butler is getting $3M, Augustin is getting $3M. So even if they have inked the contracts, which I haven't seen confirmed, just that they have agreed to terms. A S&T with Monroe can go up to $13M without triggering BYC.

Pretty sure he's signed:
http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/detroit ... odie-meeks
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#23 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Aug 3, 2014 8:02 pm

bondom34 wrote:Pretty sure he's signed:

Even so, it leaves them plenty of room to work a S&T without kicking in BYC. Assuming Monroe really wants out of Detroit he'd sign for the $12-13M that they still have under the cap to make it work. I'm surprised Philly hasn't offered him a max contract yet. Monroe, Noel and Embiid as your 4-5 along with the other young players, and picks, they have coming would put them in a very good spot in 2 years. Assuming Monroe would be content with being a PF instead of a center, which I understand is the issue in Detroit. The real issue could be Monroe doesn't want to work on his game and he needs to add a mid-range jumper to become an elite PF.

I still think Monroe's best course of action is to take the QO and force Detroit's hand. Then he'll be an UFA next off-season and can sign his big deal anywhere. He could go to LA and play center with Randle at PF. Maybe Boston might be an option as they have several stretch 4s. There would be a lot of options and he would get legitimate interest as an UFA where as a RFA everyone expected Detroit to match so they didn't waste the valuable time this off-season throwing an offer at him at the cost of other FAs.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by bondom34 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 8:06 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Pretty sure he's signed:

Even so, it leaves them plenty of room to work a S&T without kicking in BYC. Assuming Monroe really wants out of Detroit he'd sign for the $12-13M that they still have under the cap to make it work. I'm surprised Philly hasn't offered him a max contract yet. Monroe, Noel and Embiid as your 4-5 along with the other young players, and picks, they have coming would put them in a very good spot in 2 years. Assuming Monroe would be content with being a PF instead of a center, which I understand is the issue in Detroit. The real issue could be Monroe doesn't want to work on his game and he needs to add a mid-range jumper to become an elite PF.

I still think Monroe's best course of action is to take the QO and force Detroit's hand. Then he'll be an UFA next off-season and can sign his big deal anywhere. He could go to LA and play center with Randle at PF. Maybe Boston might be an option as they have several stretch 4s. There would be a lot of options and he would get legitimate interest as an UFA where as a RFA everyone expected Detroit to match so they didn't waste the valuable time this off-season throwing an offer at him at the cost of other FAs.

Yeah, TBH the Bledsoe for Monroe talk makes some sense to me as well. Detroit has no PG and too many guys to play PF/C, and Phoenix has the opposite. Monroe seems to want out, but the QO is a big risk, even if it may be his best choice (I'm not saying it's not, its just not a common thing to happen).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Grolgar
Junior
And1: 176

Post#25 » by Grolgar » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:18 am

Yeah, I just don't see any reason OKC would spend the kind of money on Monroe with Adams, and possibly Pleiss after, on a cheap contract. If we got Monroe, it would likely mean we wouldn't re-sign Reggie. I'd rather move forward with Reggie and Adams.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#26 » by TurboTitan » Tue Aug 5, 2014 11:49 pm

one more 1st and i'd do it
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:10 pm

Well, seems some Pistons fans would do something similar. I'd do PJ/Lamb/Perk/a first.
mab2039
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#28 » by mab2039 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 10:05 pm

Good player but his contract length and size would probably handicap us small market in the future. I think we are pretty stacked at every position this year except for SG but even that can be covered by westbrook imo.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 10:40 pm

True, but he'd be a heckuva luxury to have. I'm surprised it's even as split as it is on the trade board (right now 4/2 say it's not really fair w/o giving RJ or Adams, but I thought it would be worse). The frontcourt of Ibaka/Adams/Monroe/either McGary or PJ would be amazing for a few years at least, and could easily put the team over the top.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#30 » by Balkman32 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 1:17 am

Doubtful...
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#31 » by Bravenewworld » Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:05 am

Screw Monroe, if we go after a big guy next season, it should be Marc.
But personally, i'd rather us see go after Mike Conley so we can continue to have Westbrook as our 2 and Jackson as our 6th.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Bravenewworld » Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:08 am

bondom34 wrote:True, but he'd be a heckuva luxury to have. I'm surprised it's even as split as it is on the trade board (right now 4/2 say it's not really fair w/o giving RJ or Adams, but I thought it would be worse). The frontcourt of Ibaka/Adams/Monroe/either McGary or PJ would be amazing for a few years at least, and could easily put the team over the top.

Monroe will be a max contract guy, big men are overvalued to ****. I guess its for good reason, but i dont think he would be worth it and would rather just stick with Adams.
The only big men i think we should go after is Marc Gasol, Hibbert or Aldridge if that could some how happen.
I would also love to see Embiid on this team, but doubtful that happens.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by bondom34 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:24 am

Bravenewworld wrote:
bondom34 wrote:True, but he'd be a heckuva luxury to have. I'm surprised it's even as split as it is on the trade board (right now 4/2 say it's not really fair w/o giving RJ or Adams, but I thought it would be worse). The frontcourt of Ibaka/Adams/Monroe/either McGary or PJ would be amazing for a few years at least, and could easily put the team over the top.

Monroe will be a max contract guy, big men are overvalued to ****. I guess its for good reason, but i dont think he would be worth it and would rather just stick with Adams.
The only big men i think we should go after is Marc Gasol, Hibbert or Aldridge if that could some how happen.
I would also love to see Embiid on this team, but doubtful that happens.

Yeah, no way in hell Embiid happens. Hibbert I'd say a far outside chance, about the same as Monroe, but at that point I'd rather Monroe, considering with Serge there, that's one of the few PFs in the game I think may work w/ Monroe. Gasol and LMA are both not happening either, it's just really unlikely any of them happen. Just seems like Monroe/Ibaka is a combo that could work, Monroe's young enough to fit in with the age group of the team, and for a few years you have a frontcourt of Ibaka/McGary/Adams/Monroe. Best offer I give is Perk/Lamb/PJ/a pick, or Perk/Lamb/PJ/2015 first and top 10 protected 2017 first. Detroit declines both anyway.

Edit: Also, unless he takes the most massive discount imaginable, Gasol would be impossible.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Bravenewworld » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:25 am

bondom34 wrote:Edit: Also, unless he takes the most massive discount imaginable, Gasol would be impossible.

With Gasol, i dont think its about the money at all, i think hes just a super loyal guy. However if the situation came around where Memphis was rebuilding and told him, hey, we are going to rebuild for 3-5 years and we would rather see you in a contending situation. He would be willing to leave, otherwise i think he would take 8 million to play with Memphis.
So the positive thing is Memphis very well could be in this situation next season.
The negative is that even if they were, Gasol is so loyal he might just say "pay me 5, ill stay". Apparently he LOVES living in Memphis and does not want to move anywhere.
But i guess, another positive is OKC has a similar feel and similar people.

But again as i said, i think we need to go after Mike Conley, screw the big men.
I want the most undervalued and overlooked PG running a team next to Westbrook and Durant and Ibaka and Adams.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 am

Apparently Monroe's agent tried to work a sign and trade to some teams, and OKC was on the list. Bummer it didn't happen.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 am

I will say this though, I think this says something about him I've come to believe, and that is that he was traded because he wanted to be "the man" for his own team. He just wasn't going to stay in OKC and be a 3rd option, and the money wasn't the deciding factor. Other fans can whine about the trade all they want, but I really believe it is on Harden wanting out.
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man
And1: 615

Post#37 » by HeartSouloma » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:27 am

bondom34 wrote:Apparently Monroe's agent tried to work a sign and trade to some teams, and OKC was on the list. Bummer it didn't happen.

Really!? I don't think OKC would S&T for Monroe if it happen..

EDIT- If it happen, could OKC afford to pay him?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:29 am

KDfan35 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Apparently Monroe's agent tried to work a sign and trade to some teams, and OKC was on the list. Bummer it didn't happen.

Really!? I don't think OKC would S&T for Monroe if it happened..

Don't know, it just said his agent tried to get him to OKC, don't know if there was mutual interest. :D
HeartSouloma
Sixth Man
And1: 615

Post#39 » by HeartSouloma » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:31 am

Could we afford him if it hypothetically happen?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 am

KDfan35 wrote:Could we afford him if it hypothetically happen?

Depends, if they're willing to go into the tax for sure. If not, still possible but it would depend on his extension. They're about 1-2 mil under now, so figure Perk/Lamb/another player go out, that would leave about 12 mil in room. Should be plenty I'd think, but it would depend on details.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder