Steven Adams- What's his ceiling/How good can he be?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

HeartSouloma
Sixth Man
And1: 615

Steven Adams- What's his ceiling/How good can he be? 

Post#1 » by HeartSouloma » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:55 am

Seriously mane he's a beast! I try to ask myself this question, but can't find an answer to it. I want to ask the experts in this thread. How good can Adams be?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-nQM7CoqK0[/youtube]

:o
Buffjones
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Steven Adams- What's his ceiling/How good can he be? 

Post#2 » by Buffjones » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:55 am

I see him having Tyson chandlers (in his prime) defence, Marc Gasols offence, Shaqs intimidation factor and as far as athleticism, i see him being one of the best ever. He's very mobile for being a solid 7 footer.
If the thunder let him develop an offensive game over the next year or 2, i can see him being a top 10 centre.

Bring on the season already... this waiting thing is bull !! haha
Buffjones
Ballboy

Post#3 » by Buffjones » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:04 am

If the Thunder are to win it all, they NEED Adams to be in there. The best line up is with him in there, I'm not a fan of Ibaka at the 5 and durant at the 4....
I'm excited to see Adams development in the pick n role play with both Jackson and Westbrook.
Perkins should average 8-10 mins
Adams 28-30mins
Buffjones
Ballboy

Post#4 » by Buffjones » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:28 am

This season... IF he gets 28mins +, i can see him averaging 10pts, 8rebs, 1stl, 1.5blks.

Whenever there's a blow out, Brooks should be running plays for him down low. Get his confidence right up there on the offensive end, because come playoff time, he'll be the difference maker.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#5 » by KD35Brah » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:34 pm

8ppg 9rpg 1.5/2BPG this upcoming season imo.

His soft touch may allow him to become a 13ppg player later though.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#6 » by Old Man Game » Wed Oct 1, 2014 3:07 am

I've been saying poor man's Noah and that's what I'm sticking with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by KD35Brah » Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:38 pm

Is Adams posting a 118 Ortg in the postseason and a 108 Ortg in the RS last season something to be happy about?

A lot better than than what Perk posted.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Oct 4, 2014 1:48 am

Adams has a higher ceiling than Noah, offensively. He is still very raw and while he will never the get the touches to be a 20 point a night player he will be very efficient. Think Dwight Howard's efficiency in the paint on both sides of the ball with FT shooting like a Gasol. Less touches than Howard, but that same efficiency, and when he starts getting 30 minutes 10+ rebounds and 2.5+ blocks a night.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
DontH8TheBrody
Junior
And1: 394

Post#9 » by DontH8TheBrody » Sat Oct 4, 2014 6:09 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Adams has a higher ceiling than Noah, offensively. He is still very raw and while he will never the get the touches to be a 20 point a night player he will be very efficient. Think Dwight Howard's efficiency in the paint on both sides of the ball with FT shooting like a Gasol. Less touches than Howard, but that same efficiency, and when he starts getting 30 minutes 10+ rebounds and 2.5+ blocks a night.

So what do you think he will top out at in his prime? 14/10/2? Is there a chance he will ever overtake Serge offensively as the third option?
    PG: Westbrook/Jackson/Smith
    SG: Roberson/Morrow/Lamb
    SF: Durant/Jones/Lamb
    PF: Ibaka/Collison/McGary
    C: Adams/Perkins

THUNDER UP 0 | 35 | 9 |15 | 11 | 3 | 12
DontH8TheBrody
Junior

Post#10 » by DontH8TheBrody » Sat Oct 4, 2014 6:14 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Adams has a higher ceiling than Noah, offensively. He is still very raw and while he will never the get the touches to be a 20 point a night player he will be very efficient. Think Dwight Howard's efficiency in the paint on both sides of the ball with FT shooting like a Gasol. Less touches than Howard, but that same efficiency, and when he starts getting 30 minutes 10+ rebounds and 2.5+ blocks a night.

So what do you think he will top out at in his prime? 14/10/2? Is there a chance he will ever overtake Serge offensively as the third option?

DontH8TheBrody
Junior

Post#11 » by DontH8TheBrody » Sat Oct 4, 2014 6:39 am

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Oct 4, 2014 6:44 am

DontH8TheBrody wrote:So what do you think he will top out at in his prime? 14/10/2? Is there a chance he will ever overtake Serge offensively as the third option?

In the paint he'll be better than Serge this season. He will never develop the mid range and 3-pt skills of Serge.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by KD35Brah » Sat Oct 4, 2014 7:57 am

I can't see Adams averaging 2.5 Blocks a game, that is Howard, Davis, and Serge Territory.

What I did see this postseason is that Durant, Westbrook, and Jackson are more willing to dump off the ball to Adams in PnR situations than they do with Perk.

If Reggie continues shooting 40% from 3 like he just did in the playoffs the whole offense will open up.

We can finally get easy buckets off Adams running the floor as well.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:45 am

KD35Brah wrote:I can't see Adams averaging 2.5 Blocks a game, that is Howard, Davis, and Serge Territory.

Why not? Last year he had .7 blocks in under 15 min a night as a rookie. Just by going to 30 minutes a night he should be a 1.5 block a night player. You don't think he can improve enough along with getting most consistent playing time to increase his block rate and get to 2.5 a night? The kid just turned 21 and is still a very raw and unpolished player due to picking up the game late. By comparison, Ibaka at 20 put up 1.3 blocks as a rookie in 18 minutes a night then increased his block rate so he was at 3.7 a game playing 27 minutes a night two years later.

I think 2.0 is around the baseline for how many shots Adams will be blocking when he is the starter. Just based on increased playing time and natural progression he should easily be a 2 block a night player so I don't see how 2.5 is that far fetched given his age, athleticism and instincts. Will he get 2.5 a game every year, no, but neither does Serge or Howard. However, Adams will have a few years where he is over 2.5 blocks a game.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder