Preseason : vs. Memphis 10/14

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Podirk
Senior
And1: 179

Preseason : vs. Memphis 10/14 

Post#1 » by Podirk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:42 am

Adams with another nice line..more impressed with his 4/5 ft shooting.

Morrow is shooting something rediculous from 3.

Westbrook will benefit greatly from playing with a good C.

Perry brought his non impressive solid game.

Lamb scored lots and shot lots. Also added plenty of rebounds.
"no more questions for you bro.......troll"
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Re: Preseason : vs. Memphis 10/14 

Post#2 » by nickforthreee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 am

Podirk wrote:Adams with another nice line..more impressed with his 4/5 ft shooting.

Morrow is shooting something rediculous from 3.

Westbrook will benefit greatly from playing with a good C.

Perry brought his non impressive solid game.

Lamb scored lots and shot lots. Also added plenty of rebounds.

They are going to have to start Lamb or Reggie w/ KD out imo
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:52 am

I'm still holding out hope for a Russ, Lamb, PJ3, Ibaka and Adams starting 5. That will leave Reggie and Morrow as scoring off the bench. It will also be the sink or swim chance I've been looking for PJ3 to have along with Lamb getting to show that he can take a big year 3 step like Harden did after posting the same per minute stats, FG% and 3pt% in year 2 that Harden had in year 2.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
GREENE1148
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#4 » by GREENE1148 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:07 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I'm still holding out hope for a Russ, Lamb, PJ3, Ibaka and Adams starting 5. That will leave Reggie and Morrow as scoring off the bench. It will also be the sink or swim chance I've been looking for PJ3 to have along with Lamb getting to show that he can take a big year 3 step like Harden did after posting the same per minute stats, FG% and 3pt% in year 2 that Harden had in year 2.

Eh, I think that'd be pretty bad defensively, I'd probably go Russ/Morrow/Robes/Serge/Adams... That way you have a premium defensive player you can throw at their best scorer to help slow him down. Roberson was impressive when matched up against Chandler Parsons for example. I also think it's pretty clear that Morrow is excellent when being set up offensively, Russ does a far better job of that than Reggie imo.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:29 am

You put Roberson out there and I'm not guarding him. I'm having someone stand in Morrow's face so he can't get a clean look at a corner 3 and I'm doubling Russ as soon as he gets near the 3pt line. If Roberson can drop 30 on me you win. Even with a steady flow of open jumpers I don't think he can score 20 points in an NBA game. With that lineup I only have to worry about Westbrook making plays. Morrow is a spot up shooter and nothing more on offense he isn't a threat trying to create off the dribble. 95% of the 3s Morrow has shot in his career have been from an assist.

You have to have Lamb or Reggie out there to be another creator. Roberson may be a better defender than PJ3 or Lamb, but neither of them are bad defenders. Roberson is a terrible offensive player. You can not start Roberson and not expect to start out in a hole that you will not be able to dig yourself out of. The Thunder can not learn to play Memphis Grizzlies basketball in two weeks to compensate for KD being out. They have to play to their strengths and that is strong interior D, which makes up for a LOT of mistakes up top and an offense that can put up a bunch of points, even with KD out. If Lamb or PJ3 gets beat they will have Ibaka and Adams behind them to help out. If Roberson goes 2-15 every night they could start out 4-17 and be out of the playoff race before KD gets back.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Podirk
Senior
And1: 179

Post#6 » by Podirk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 pm

I like the Russ, Robes, Lamb, Ibaka, Adams lineup.

All KDs shots have to go somewhere, some will go to Russ, some to Ibaka and Adams, but we need a player that can put up a lot of shots (in the flow of the offense). PJ is not that player, not yet anyways, he is a utility player you can throw in for 3s, or take advantage of a mismatch in the post (see last night). Lamb has had a poor game a good game and an pretty good game. Lamb and Adams had a nice connection, Lamb can attack, supposedly he is a 3 pt shooter, so throw him out there. Lamb and Robes can matchup on the opposing 2/3 however needed.
"no more questions for you bro.......troll"
jackson77
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#7 » by jackson77 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:10 pm

I don't understand why to start Roberson, do we need a new Thabo in the starting lineup?!
In my eyes Roberson is definitely not a starter, PJ3 and Lamb should be starters,
Jackson-Morrow-Roberson off the bench.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#8 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:48 pm

I tend to lean w/ Roberson and either Lamb or RJ too. I think they'd still have enough offense w/ Adams, Russ, and Serge plus the SG position. If they go a little defensive in the lineup, it could slow the game enough to keep it close while KD's gone.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#9 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:58 pm

bondom34 wrote:I tend to lean w/ Roberson and either Lamb or RJ too. I think they'd still have enough offense w/ Adams, Russ, and Serge plus the SG position. If they go a little defensive in the lineup, it could slow the game enough to keep it close while KD's gone.

Their defense does not slow games down though.
They wont have an issue making up for the loss of KD. Ibaka will hike back up to 17, Roberson and Adams will go up to around 13/14 and Lamb will be traded for a bag of Cheeto's and a coke, and that's that.
babase
Ballboy
And1: 30

Post#10 » by babase » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:58 pm

I feel like Roberson should just start against teams that have elite perimeter players (Rockets/Warriors/Suns/Nuggets?/etc). Then let Lamb or Morrow start against everyone else.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:00 pm

babase wrote:I feel like Roberson should just start against teams that have elite perimeter players (Rockets/Warriors/Suns/Nuggets?/etc). Then let Lamb or Morrow start against everyone else.

Roberson deserves to start every game while KD is out.
Even if he does not show he can be a high volume scorer (which i actually think he can be) his defense can be ridiculous.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I tend to lean w/ Roberson and either Lamb or RJ too. I think they'd still have enough offense w/ Adams, Russ, and Serge plus the SG position. If they go a little defensive in the lineup, it could slow the game enough to keep it close while KD's gone.

They wont have an issue making up for the loss of KD. Ibaka will hike back up to 17, Roberson and Adams will go up to around 13/14 and Lamb will be traded for a bag of Cheeto's and a coke, and that's that.

I think I worded that poorly. I mean more or less slow the scoring. If KD's not playing its 1 less consistent scorer, if OKC can't put up 100 consistently they're not going to win unless they stop teams. If they can just hang around in games I think it may result in more wins (a la Memphis). I could see it go either way though.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:19 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Bravenewworld wrote:

I think I worded that poorly. I mean more or less slow the scoring. If KD's not playing its 1 less consistent scorer, if OKC can't put up 100 consistently they're not going to win unless they stop teams. If they can just hang around in games I think it may result in more wins (a la Memphis). I could see it go either way though.

But that's the thing right? They wont really have issues getting to 100 every night. As we saw last season, you can take a top player off this team and while you wont have a top player to replace them, the stats will be made up by good back up players. And those good back up players really shined last year and this year have done nothing but improved.
Jackson, Adams and Roberson all have more experience, have tweaked their game and will be wanting to prove themselves and with all 3, i trust they can do this unlike a certain woolly quadruped.
babase
Ballboy
And1: 30

Post#14 » by babase » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:Roberson deserves to start every game while KD is out.
Even if he does not show he can be a high volume scorer (which i actually think he can be) his defense can be ridiculous.

Yeah I mean his defense is good, but if he's mainly guarding guys like Danny Green/JJ Reddick/Wes Mathews/Kevin Martin, then he's basically just gonna be chasing them around the perimeter, and that's something I think Lamb/Morrow could do as well. I guess I wouldn't mind him starting with Durant out, assuming he's playing SF in place of Jones.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:But that's the thing right? They wont really have issues getting to 100 every night. As we saw last season, you can take a top player off this team and while you wont have a top player to replace them, the stats will be made up by good back up players. And those good back up players really shined last year and this year have done nothing but improved.
Jackson, Adams and Roberson all have more experience, have tweaked their game and will be wanting to prove themselves and with all 3, i trust they can do this unlike a certain woolly quadruped.

It happened 20 times last season, with a lot of those with Russ and KD. You're taking out the second leading scorer inthe NBA. I will admit I have a lot of faith in this team w/o KD, but I don't know if they're gonna be able to outscore teams every night.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:16 pm

The only issue will be closing out games and that will only be an issue if Westbrook or Jackson cannot regularly do it. I think Westbrook is fully capable of doing it, there's a reason why he was being compared to a young Kobe a couple years ago.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:48 am

Roberson has not made a 2 pt shot in an NBA game that wasn't within 3 feet of the bucket. He was 0-9 on shots from 3 ft to the 3pt line last year. He was 2 of 13 from 3, 15%. However, if you can get him under the basket he shot 67% within 3 ft of the rim. Of course Lamb shot 68% from that range last year and PJ3 is over 70% for his career from that range so I'm not sure it indicates any real ability for Roberson to score unless you think he can get to the rim at will. If he is in the starting lineup and I'm an opposing defense I completely ignore him to double Russ. Roberson won't be able to get into paint because Adams and Ibaka will be clogging it and I'm not worried about him missing 10 foot jumpers all game long. Especially, if Morrow is out there where I only have to have someone stand next to him and not give him open 3s. Morrow can't create offense with the dribble so I can stick any stiff on him and effectively shut him down if I'm going against Russ, Morrow, Roberson, Ibaka and Adams. One ball handler and one guy who can not make a shot and even the 76ers could beat that lineup.

Lamb or Reggie has to be in the starting lineup to give another ball handler out there with Russ. PJ3 or some other capable shooter has to be out there to prevent worse double teaming than we saw with Thabo pretending to be an offensive player. Roberson needs to be in the D-League working on his shooting. Until he can actually make a shot that is not a dunk or layup consistently he has no place playing in the NBA. Roberson makes Thabo look like an offensive stud. People though Thabo's defender cheating on KD and Russ was bad at least he was just terrible at 35% outside the paint. Roberson isn't even roster worthy at 9%! For a low usage player he has a lot of turnovers, 1.7 per 36 minutes last year and 1.8 per 36 minutes in the preseason.

I have no idea where the love for Roberson comes from. If you have KD and Russ you could maybe survive starting a player who would be the worst offensive wing in the D-league, but without KD there is no way OKC can compete with Roberson out there. The Thunder are not going to win games scoring 80 points a night.
jackson77
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#18 » by jackson77 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:39 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Roberson has not made a 2 pt shot in an NBA game that wasn't within 3 feet of the bucket. He was 0-9 on shots from 3 ft to the 3pt line last year. He was 2 of 13 from 3, 15%. However, if you can get him under the basket he shot 67% within 3 ft of the rim. Of course Lamb shot 68% from that range last year and PJ3 is over 70% for his career from that range so I'm not sure it indicates any real ability for Roberson to score unless you think he can get to the rim at will. If he is in the starting lineup and I'm an opposing defense I completely ignore him to double Russ. Roberson won't be able to get into paint because Adams and Ibaka will be clogging it and I'm not worried about him missing 10 foot jumpers all game long. Especially, if Morrow is out there where I only have to have someone stand next to him and not give him open 3s. Morrow can't create offense with the dribble so I can stick any stiff on him and effectively shut him down if I'm going against Russ, Morrow, Roberson, Ibaka and Adams. One ball handler and one guy who can not make a shot and even the 76ers could beat that lineup.

Lamb or Reggie has to be in the starting lineup to give another ball handler out there with Russ. PJ3 or some other capable shooter has to be out there to prevent worse double teaming than we saw with Thabo pretending to be an offensive player. Roberson needs to be in the D-League working on his shooting. Until he can actually make a shot that is not a dunk or layup consistently he has no place playing in the NBA. Roberson makes Thabo look like an offensive stud. People though Thabo's defender cheating on KD and Russ was bad at least he was just terrible at 35% outside the paint. Roberson isn't even roster worthy at 9%! For a low usage player he has a lot of turnovers, 1.7 per 36 minutes last year and 1.8 per 36 minutes in the preseason.

I have no idea where the love for Roberson comes from. If you have KD and Russ you could maybe survive starting a player who would be the worst offensive wing in the D-league, but without KD there is no way OKC can compete with Roberson out there. The Thunder are not going to win games scoring 80 points a night.

100% agree with you Kizz :D
for me Roberson is more d-league player than starter
at the position SG-SF we need someone who can score from outside,
can stretch floor !!
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I'm not sure it indicates any real ability for Roberson to score unless you think he can get to the rim at will.

Im basing this on the improvements i saw him make toward the end of last season and what we've seen from him since. Which is fine, i have no doubts this guy can average 12 with steady and consistent A defense.

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I have no idea where the love for Roberson comes from. If you have KD and Russ you could maybe survive starting a player who would be the worst offensive wing in the D-league, but without KD there is no way OKC can compete with Roberson out there. The Thunder are not going to win games scoring 80 points a night.

Okay, that's fine. I dont know how or where you get the idea that the Thunder wont be able to score above 80, this seems to be hyperbole that was pretty easily eliminated last season when Westbrook was out. This season we also have two players playing for contracts and two who i think will have break out seasons offensively (Roberson and Adams) based on what ive seen over the summer and pre-season.

Roberson played very well in the play offs last year, had a steady progression and shot improvement and that improvement seemed to go on well after the NBA took a break. If you seen any of the pre-season games you will see his shot selection has changed, improved and is far more consistent. This, with him being a great defender, is the reason he should get the starting position.
Lamb, is a poor mans JR Smith. This is the type of player that simply wont make shots, but he will actually contribute to a loss due to his extremely poor and consistent offense. And ill say it again, there is a very good reason why he was getting DNPs while uninjured, while Westbrook was out and our only depth was a 39 year old Fisher.
He's got to go.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:Roberson played very well in the play offs last year, had a steady progression and shot improvement and that improvement seemed to go on well after the NBA took a break. If you seen any of the pre-season games you will see his shot selection has changed, improved and is far more consistent. This, with him being a great defender, is the reason he should get the starting position.
Lamb, is a poor mans JR Smith. This is the type of player that simply wont make shots, but he will actually contribute to a loss due to his extremely poor and consistent offense. And ill say it again, there is a very good reason why he was getting DNPs while uninjured, while Westbrook was out and our only depth was a 39 year old Fisher.
He's got to go.

Are you senile or confused? Roberson played a whole 9 minutes in the playoffs and was 0-3 from the field. Lamb played in EVERY game while Westbrook was out. Lamb got 4 DNPs last year after Butler was added and Westbrook started all four of those games. The "poor man's J.R. Smith" shot better than the real J.R. Smith last year and has started attacking more showing an ability to get to the FT line that Smith has never shown. Poor man's James Harden would be more believable, although Lamb was Harden's equal on a per minute basis when you compare their 2nd seasons against each other.

What I've seen so far during preseason is that Lamb is attacking and taking the next step in his development to being a great SG. Roberson still can't shoot and should be in the D-league, or maybe high school, trying to learn how to play basketball. Morrow is who he is. Adams is continuing to develop as I expected. Russ is the same old Russ. PJ3 is going to have to show that he can continue to improve his 3pt shot and be a better version of Jeff Green and is showing flashes that he might be able to do that.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder