21%

Total votes: 43

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Kanter's Free Agency 

Post#61 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:40 am

kdthunderup wrote:The thing is even if Kanter doesn't improve his defense at all we still have enough depth to make changes to the lineup to accommodate the match up.

Kanter getting abused too much on D? Throw Adams in.
Can't get the offense going and there is a match up to abuse in the post? Put Kanter in.

I mean if the Bulls could cover up Boozer's awful defense and still be one of the best defensive teams why can't OKC? I also seriously think Kanter's defense is being over criticised I mean he is bad but not as bad as most people go on about, his post defense is pretty good and was capable of making good defensive plays at times but he obviously lacks a lot in defensive awareness and IQ which is the part I at least think he can improve on a bit with more experience and being with the team for a while.

This I agree with, and is why I love the bigs rotation right now.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Zack M
Junior
And1: 288

Post#62 » by Zack M » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:33 am

Lol....I love our fanbase mentality

When Perk was here...."he isn't good enough offensively...get rid of him".

Now that Kanter is here...".he isn't good enough..defensively...get rid of him".
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#63 » by kdthunderup » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:07 am

Zack M wrote:Lol....I love our fanbase mentality

When Perk was here...."he isn't good enough offensively...get rid of him".

Now that Kanter is here...".he isn't good enough..defensively...get rid of him".

tbh by the end Perkins sucked defensively as well, he wasn't bringing any positive value to the court.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#64 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:52 pm

bondom34 wrote:Oh my goodness...

FIrst, don't call the "I've watched and played card". That's usually a sign you don't really know what you're trying to say here.

Second, I said his percentages went up while his usage went down. That's not a hard concept. Its easier to play better if other teams let you go because you're not very good.

The fact that Waiters hasn't improved in 4 years is plenty of evidence for everyone other than you, Shumpert went from NY to the Cavs, and hey guess what, he's playing great! Dion went from that terrible Cavs situation to OKC and guess what, he's still the same crappy player! There's always the chance that a player won't change, even in a new place.

1. If we would pay attention to what has been shown and to process of athletes evolving, and didnt say utterly ridiculous things (like a 22 wont improve at all [which he already has for us], or its acceptable to dismiss a players developed after half a season on a wrecked team [which that player has already improved for us in that half season]), no card would need to be pulled. Fact is if people did these things then the NBA would look very different.

2. And unless we are talking drastic minute cuts, this is a rather irrelevant point, or way to deem that no improvements have been made.
Here's my bet, both DWill and Singler (who i think we should resign) will end up as "vets". three to six years down the road they will be taking on two to three year contracts on contending teams and be a vital part of their depth. DWill most likely more than Singler. Which will require them to continue...........keyword, continue, to gain experience, sharpen their game and improve. Singler, btw, has improved his defensive efficiency rating year by year. Excluding his time with OKC which was ridiculously good and i think that was simply a result of playing only 26 games with us. But if i was not being honest, i could include that and make him look better than he most likely is. Although who knows, maybe in our system is that good defensively. But as a responsible person, im not going to apply such a small sample size.

3. Waiters has only played 3 years of basketball. Season 1 he went from back up numbers, to season 2 where he was probably within the top 10 or 12 of scoring for shooting guards. And again, season 3 is when we hit that Cavs rebuild wall.
Im not sure why you want to say he has not improved, this is clearly lacking any bit or truth and you're simply seeing what you want.
You've come to a predetermined position and are trying to justify it instead of the other way around.

And what does Shumpert and Waiters and Cavs point mean? So if one player is playing in a system another had a problem with, that other player is what? bad? cant improve? .... You really want to go this route? Because i think we both know i could very easily start listing off trades and players that show this means nothing. Hell, we can look at trades our team made last season to see this is bull.

Shumpert fit what the Cavs needed more. A 3D guy. Waiters, is not a 3D guy. If you expect him to be and are disappointing, then that is on you and your inability to evaluate players.
We needed a guy who can come off the bench, collapse a defense and score. We all knew we were getting rid of RJ, so we had to bring in someone to replace what he did (to a degree). And when Waiters focused on doing just that, he was very productive and exactly what we needed. While we saw one little period of him slipping up and starting to take more jump shots, he eventually got back on track. Which, im sure they are promoting him taking jump shots to improve his shot selection. This team really seems to harp on that mid range jumper. We also have to remember that while the situation in OKC is better for Waiters, this past season was an absolute mess for the entire team. No one on the team outside of Westbrook, McGary and then Kanter for 20 games, lived up to their name, expectations or development expectations.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Well, Dion can come off the bench, unfortunately he can't score. His numbers look similar every year in the league, and they're all bad. The chance is the same that Kanter has this happen is all I'm saying. I want to keep Kanter no matter what, he's what this team needs, but there are no guarantees which you are saying there are.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#66 » by idajazz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Here is the thing those of you that think Kanter will become a decent defender and be a positive for your team are missing.

Kanter was given every opportunity to thrive in Utah, He had the full backing of the coaching staff, the rest of the team, the fans, and the front office. He just never put it together. He wanted to be treated like a superstar even though he couldn't/wouldn't play like one.
Then along came Rudy............ He freaking stole the little bit of spot light that Kanter had, and became a huge fan favorite literally over night. It is all down hill from there. Kanter came off as jealous, and bitter, and the things he said after the trade were like a pissy x girlfriend who got dumped.

The thing that he has to understand is that he had the same opportunity as Rudy, he just didn't have the right attitude/mentality as Rudy and he blew it. I believe that it was clear to management that he wouldn't be able to be professional and was becoming a locker room cancer so they made the move.

Kanter has the ability to be pretty dang good, he just lacks the brains. He always came off as the stereotypical pampered jock who expects the world to be handed to him on a platter. If he can turn the attitude around you will have a pretty good player. My opinion is that once the honeymoon is over.... well good luck.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#67 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:41 pm

Kanter comes off as lacking maturity more than brains. He is also 22 and I recall knowing a lot of immature 22 year olds when I was around that age. He seemed to respond well to the atmosphere in OKC so we'll see if he steps up and applies himself more on the defensive end. Kanter just has to be a net 0 on the defensive end to be a very good player. He doesn't have to be a plus defender and really doesn't have to be a good defender with Adams and Ibaka always around him. He does, however, need to give effort and be in position.

Waiters is just bad at basketball in general. If Waiters were to improve every aspect of his game he might manage to get to Jeremy Lamb level. However, I'm more expecting Waiters to pull a Reggie next year and have a huge attitude to go with his poor skills than to step up and become a solid contributor.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Yeah, that's the read I get too, he just seems immature, which is hopefully fixable.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#69 » by Balkman32 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:02 pm

idajazz wrote:Here is the thing those of you that think Kanter will become a decent defender and be a positive for your team are missing.

Kanter was given every opportunity to thrive in Utah, He had the full backing of the coaching staff, the rest of the team, the fans, and the front office. He just never put it together. He wanted to be treated like a superstar even though he couldn't/wouldn't play like one.
Then along came Rudy............ He freaking stole the little bit of spot light that Kanter had, and became a huge fan favorite literally over night. It is all down hill from there. Kanter came off as jealous, and bitter, and the things he said after the trade were like a pissy x girlfriend who got dumped.

The thing that he has to understand is that he had the same opportunity as Rudy, he just didn't have the right attitude/mentality as Rudy and he blew it. I believe that it was clear to management that he wouldn't be able to be professional and was becoming a locker room cancer so they made the move.

Kanter has the ability to be pretty dang good, he just lacks the brains. He always came off as the stereotypical pampered jock who expects the world to be handed to him on a platter. If he can turn the attitude around you will have a pretty good player. My opinion is that once the honeymoon is over.... well good luck.

He was 18-19 when he was drafted and him and Favors do the same thing they can score w/ their back to the basked and can't protect the rim. I think Utah set him up to fail.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#70 » by Balkman32 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Kanter comes off as lacking maturity more than brains. He is also 22 and I recall knowing a lot of immature 22 year olds when I was around that age. He seemed to respond well to the atmosphere in OKC so we'll see if he steps up and applies himself more on the defensive end. Kanter just has to be a net 0 on the defensive end to be a very good player. He doesn't have to be a plus defender and really doesn't have to be a good defender with Adams and Ibaka always around him. He does, however, need to give effort and be in position.

Waiters is just bad at basketball in general. If Waiters were to improve every aspect of his game he might manage to get to Jeremy Lamb level. However, I'm more expecting Waiters to pull a Reggie next year and have a huge attitude to go with his poor skills than to step up and become a solid contributor.

They need to figure out the SG position...

Every time I look at this roster I just have a BIG ? next to SG.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#71 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Balkman32 wrote:He was 18-19 when he was drafted and him and Favors do the same thing they can score w/ their back to the basked and can't protect the rim. I think Utah set him up to fail.

It will make a huge difference playing next to Ibaka and Adams instead of next to Favors. Until Ibaka got hurt the defense was doing fine even with Kanter. If Kanter just makes some minor improvements he'll be just fine for what OKC needs out of him defensively.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:23 pm

bondom34 wrote:Well, Dion can come off the bench, unfortunately he can't score. His numbers look similar every year in the league, and they're all bad. The chance is the same that Kanter has this happen is all I'm saying. I want to keep Kanter no matter what, he's what this team needs, but there are no guarantees which you are saying there are.

Yr 1- mpg:28.8, ppg:14.7, rpg:2.4, apg:3.0, 2%:44, 3%:31
Yr 2- mpg:29.6, ppg:15.9, rpg:2.8, apg:3.0, 2%:45, 3%:37
Yr 3- mpg:27.6, ppg:11.8, rpg:2.0, apg:3.0, 2%:43, 3%:26 (which went from 25 w/cavs to 32 w/OKC. Clearly this denotes an outside factor being an issue)
Of course with his advanced shooting we see improvements aside from that 3rd year, def. eff. we see improvements, we generally see these improvements all over the place. Not with everything, but enough to say that his game is improving as a whole.

And those numbers don't look similar, nor are bad by any stretch of the word. If you consider his second year bad, then to be consistent and honest with yourself, you have to consider Harden's second year bad..... not gonna do that though are we?

We did clearly see improvements until the wreck of a season that was his 3rd. Which in his 3rd year, the most stable situation he was in, was an OKC team that had up to 7 players injured once, players being injured on and off all season, an unstable rotation, and a roster that that was 50% different than it was at the beginning of the season. I don't know what to say if you dont get how that will negatively affect most players, especially younger players. I also dont know what to say if you can look at him overall and then dismiss him after half a season because..... i still really don't know. It seems to be you taking a position that you'd rather not change despite what is being said not matching with reality.

But hey, lets put extreme expectations and moving goal posts on him and only him so we can keep this narrative going.

bondom34 wrote:but there are no guarantees which you are saying there are.

Unless he becomes brain dead, we will see him improve.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:26 pm

His efficiency is still trash and you're the only one seeing these improvements, so whatever. He's a terrible player and I can't think of a worse rotation guy on any contender.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:36 pm

idajazz wrote:Here is the thing those of you that think Kanter will become a decent defender and be a positive for your team are missing.

This is a common theme with Jazz fans.
But if you're not a Jazz(hands) fan, all you've seen is a franchise that has made really bad choices over the past five or six years.
A team that has traded or allowed to sign elsewhere, almost a full roster of star players who would easily contend in the East or the West.
Then of course dismissing a hall of fame coach in exchange for a poor assistant coach and then a terrible college coach.

If this franchise had a clue what they were doing or had a staff giving the team (not just him) every opportunity to thrive, then they could have figured out the needed (for contention) 3 big man rotation and brought in two defensive depth big men to ensure it works.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:39 pm

bondom34 wrote:His efficiency is still trash and you're the only one seeing these improvements, so whatever. He's a terrible player and I can't think of a worse rotation guy on any contender.

Well, im not the only one, there just seems to be three or four people here who are against him for some reason. The majority of people are rather sane on the topic. And if you're not seeing the improvements, then you're either blind or ignoring it as its literally in black and white in front of you.

And to answer your last part, Jeremy Lamb. But i understand, you have a completely different set of standards and rules for him.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:He was 18-19 when he was drafted and him and Favors do the same thing they can score w/ their back to the basked and can't protect the rim. I think Utah set him up to fail.

It will make a huge difference playing next to Ibaka and Adams instead of next to Favors. Until Ibaka got hurt the defense was doing fine even with Kanter. If Kanter just makes some minor improvements he'll be just fine for what OKC needs out of him defensively.

He did well with Adams and Collison as well.
I was actually surprised at how well Adams and Kanter worked together. Obviously its not something they could do for longer then like... 7 minutes, but it was effective.
Soonerule
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#77 » by Soonerule » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:
Soonerule wrote:He doesn't want to or thinks he doesn't have to.

Says who?
Hes now on a team that appreciates him, is positive and will be constantly working with him on defense. There is no reason for you to say this.

Soonerule wrote:He was on a team that focused on defense last year................ That is something people forget, when Snyder came in, it was a clean slate, a chance to start over and show he was willing to play defense and he wouldn't.

And a team that was focused on rotating him out, last year.
And a team that was focused on not actually improving.
Say what you will, but the Jazz have not done anything to put themselves in a better position or become an overall better team, since Sloan. Going after Quinn Snyder over all the other great college coaches you could get, really highlights this.

Which btw, he was also improving his defense last year on the Jazz, as well as with OKC. So again we hit this wall where its not realistic at all to say this guy is not going to improve defensively.

http://purpleandblues.com/2015/01/13/en ... improving/

Soonerule wrote:That is what Quin Snyder was brought in to do at Utah and Kanter would not get on board.

Kanter didnt have any issues until they were not improving (Which its not hard to understand why they would not improve with Snyder's coaching) and they wanted to replace him. And given the Jazzs' complete lack of improving and moving forward with their franchise, its pretty understandable why someone would want out of that situation.

Soonerule wrote:So Kanter became "unhappy", not once, but twice, he's a prima donna. When Donovan or whoever he is playing for next season starts sitting him when he won't play defense he will be "unhappy" again.

This idea would hold some merit if it was not a constant issue with players. And maybe you dislike or like the way he handled the situation, but it does not escape the fact that players just don't want to seem to be on the team and it seems to be a top, down problem.
We've seen these players want to be traded, refuse a higher contract then they would get some place else, or just refuse to resign with them. Seemingly because of these problems.
Boozer, Kanter, DWill, Millsap, Al Jefferson, Carroll, etc. In 5 years they've lost a near all star starting roster.
The real question is, how long will it be before Favors, Rudy and that white guy want to be off this team?
Which IMO i dont see Favors or Burke resigning with them.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/schedule

start at Feb 20th and go down to the end of the season. Then go the other way to the beginning. The ONLY difference between the pre and post trade Jazz was Kanter's presence. 66% winning without Kanter, 67% losers with Kanter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2384 ... sive-elite

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/8/816590 ... hootaround

http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2 ... tar-break/

Since the All-Star Break the Jazz defense has been otherworldly. In those 21 games the Jazz has allowed 86.3 points per game the next closest is New Orleans at 94.7. That can be skewed by the Jazz arduous pace of play. However, if you equalize for pace the Jazz are still #1 in the NBA with a remarkable 93.2 pts per 100 possessions. The next closest in the NBA is 97.5, the Golden State Warriors.

When I said he refuses to play defense you said: "Hes now on a team that appreciates him, is positive and will be constantly working with him on defense. There is no reason for you to say this."

Kanter has clearly stated in every single exit interview, including the one in April, he has ever held that he needs to focus on his defense and he never has, there are plenty of reasons for me to say this. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.... how about fool me 5 times? Get a rope?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcH13_fk4bo

that's a year ago, same story same result. He said it, offense over defense. Reason enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naBnQeNFhI0

Poor Enes... so unhappy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MANGljLiQfo

a little bit of good but a whole lot of bad...
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:05 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Soonerule
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#79 » by Soonerule » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

I was actually surprised at how well Adams and Kanter worked together. Obviously its not something they could do for longer then like... 7 minutes, but it was effective.

That is why I set a $9 mil/yr ceiling on Kanter. His offensive skill is undeniable, but you don't pay a max contract to someone that has to have a babysitter on defense.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by Bravenewworld » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Soonerule wrote:
Bravenewworld wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

That is why I set a $9 mil/yr ceiling on Kanter. His offensive skill is undeniable, but you don't pay a max contract to someone that has to have a babysitter on defense.

9 Million is ridiculously low given his production and given that his defense is not a huge issue on this team.
We need low post production if we are to contend again. Not low post defense, but offensive production.
Kanter has shown us that in 30 minutes or less, he could post near 20-10. I would not be surprised, in fact i kind of expect it, in the playoffs when he is getting more minutes, he's a guy we will see post 30+ when we need it.
There is also a good chance in a year or so he will be the best offensive center in the game. Yah, we need to pay him properly and accordingly.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder