Don't give Josh Huestis a contract

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Don't give Josh Huestis a contract 

Post#1 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:33 pm

This dude is just awful. I'm not sure he could get minutes on an actively tanking team like the Sixers. I know when the pick was made most Thunder fans were surprised but gave Presti the benefit of the doubt. But after seeing him a full season in the D League this guy would just be a complete waste of a roster spot. Not to mention the fact that he'll be on a multi-year guaranteed contract if he signs his contract as a first rounder.

Some numbers to consider:

9.77 PER
.488 TS%
.470 eFG%

In the D League mind you.

For comparison's sake (their D League numbers)

Roberson (in 17 games):
20.95 PER
.536 TS%
.538 eFG%

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/And ... 3#D-League

Lamb (in 21 games):
22.29 PER
.583 TS%
.543 eFG%

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jer ... 4#D-League

Jones (in 15 games):
16.51 PER
.492 TS%
.464 eFG%

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Per ... 6#D-League

Oh, and in December of this year Huestis will turn 24 years old. Hard to imagine that he has much in the way of upside.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Re: Don't give Josh Huestis a contract 

Post#2 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Here's a bonus comp:

Hollis Thompson (in 48 D League games with Tulsa):
12.87 PER
.506 TS%
.477 eFG%

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Hol ... 8#D-League

Even a guy who is best known for being a part of the Sixers tanking roster posted better numbers than Huestis.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Old Man Game » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:59 pm

I see they haven't actually given him any guarantees.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... vin-durant
babase
Ballboy
And1: 30

Post#4 » by babase » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:08 pm

I wouldn't completely write him off yet, but yeah I never really understood taking him. Shooting 31% from three on 6 attempts a game..
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#5 » by spearsy23 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:38 pm

He wasn't drafted to do a single thing those numbers measure.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#6 » by KD35Brah » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:00 pm

Agreed, gonna have to hope Roberson can become a 35% 3PT shooter..
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Huestis is supposed to be competition for Roberson for the 3&D job. That is all. Shooting 31% from 3 on 6 attempts as a rookie, even in the D-league, isn't terrible. It he can improve that and end up as a 35% 3 pt shooter in the NBA and play defense as good as Roberson then he'll have a spot on the roster. Even if they give him an NBA contract next year he will probably spend most of the year in the D-League unless he takes Roberson's job or Roberson is hurt. I wasn't happy with the Huestis pick, but after everything came out I did understand why it was done. He's not supposed to become a 30 minute player. If he can come in as a defensive stopper for 15 minutes a game and knock down 3s at a decent, 33%+, rate then Presti will have gotten what he wanted out of the pick.

Huestis isn't supposed to be the next Harden, Reggie Jackson, Morrow or Waiters type of big minute guard/wing. Hopefully he develops into a role player that can sit at the end of the bench until his specific skill set is needed then he gets a few minutes then he gets put back on the end of the bench. OKC isn't going to be running a 12 man rotation and sitting players like Russ or KD for a guy like Huestis. Most players taken at that spot in the draft are "busts" so if Huestis never plays a significant role it isn't a big deal. Are we really going to get upset because Presti didn't land a stud at pick #29?
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Old Man Game » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:51 pm

spearsy23 wrote:He wasn't drafted to do a single thing those numbers measure.

He was drafted to be a 3 and D guy right? True shooting percentage is actually making him look slightly better. Or would be if he were an especially potent 3 point shooter.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Old Man Game » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Huestis is supposed to be competition for Roberson for the 3&D job. That is all. Shooting 31% from 3 on 6 attempts as a rookie, even in the D-league, isn't terrible. It he can improve that and end up as a 35% 3 pt shooter in the NBA and play defense as good as Roberson then he'll have a spot on the roster.

The likelihood of him increasing his percentage against NBA (better) competition is pretty small I would think. More likely he sinks to 20% than increases to the mid-30s. And that's everyone's knock on Andre anyway, that he can defend but is totally inept offensively. Why add another one of those guys if you don't have to?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:01 pm

I don't disagree that Huestis shouldn't get a roster spot. However, the way the defense fell off when Ibaka and Roberson were out I could see Presti feeling another guy like that on the roster could be a good thing. I really don't see room for Huestis unless thy move PJ3 and Lamb in the off-season. I still think Lamb has a lot of potential if he could improve his defense and consistently play aggressive on offense. I'd rather give Lamb the last year of his rookie contract to try to step up than give Huestis a contract. They can keep Huestis in the D-League another year then give him a rookie contract after some of the roster congestion is solved with PJ3, Lamb, Waiters and Augustin all being FAs and them having a better idea of what they actually have in Huestis, Semaj and the pending arrival of Abrines.

If Roberson becomes just a decent shooter he's a very good player. He has the potential to develop into a Lance Stephenson type of player. While I consider this just an off season for Stephenson he didn't become a solid shooter until his 3rd NBA season, but if Roberson were shooting 46% from the field, 33% from 3 and 70% from the FT line no one would be complaining about him.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#11 » by spearsy23 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 pm

No one should be complaining about Robes anyway, he's consistently the best perimeter defender on the roster, and the perfect starter. I don't think there are any upgrades to be made this off-season. Pick a draft and stash or move up a few picks with PJ, let Singler walk, re-sign Kanter, Give Semaj a look and see about Abrines v Huestis.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#12 » by bondom34 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 pm

All of what spearsy said. Singler can go, draft whoever's there (still hoping maybe Oubre or Dunn, though I'm starting to question myself on Oubre as Self never really produced much NBA talent). Hope they use one or both of Lamb/PJ to move up and save some tax money, sign Kanter, and roll into October. I'm starting to save for LP next year so they damn well better be ready.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#13 » by spearsy23 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:26 am

bondom34 wrote:All of what spearsy said. Singler can go, draft whoever's there (still hoping maybe Oubre or Dunn, though I'm starting to question myself on Oubre as Self never really produced much NBA talent). Hope they use one or both of Lamb/PJ to move up and save some tax money, sign Kanter, and roll into October. I'm starting to save for LP next year so they damn well better be ready.

Besides Rush KU never had a real NBA caliber wing player under Self until Wiggins. The system makes PF's, and to a lesser extent pg's, look good. But if a wing puts up numbers it's because they can play, also every perimeter player who has come out has been a plus defender, so at the least I'd expect him to hold up on that end.
jackson77
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#14 » by jackson77 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:19 pm

I expect the same outcome as with Jerrett (team policy)

In general it is a waste of pick
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Old Man Game » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:24 pm

jackson77 wrote:I expect the same outcome as with Jerrett (team policy)

It is a waste of a pick. That's one reason the "no guarantees" in that Sporting News piece I posted above stuck out so much to me. It's like even Presti and Weaver knew there was a good chance this guy wouldn't be worth signing and possibly hedged their bets.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Old Man Game » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:25 pm

Old Man Game wrote:

As for Huestis’ future, that’s still up in the air. The presumption is that he will be in Oklahoma City next season, as an NBA rookie. But he’s gotten no guarantees.

“Right now, I am not really thinking about that,” he said. “I am just thinking about this season and getting better and everything that I can control.”

In terms of the Jerrett comparison, it's much worse from the standpoint of money and years guaranteed. If he doesn't become a semi-useful NBA player he'll be a lot harder to unload.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#17 » by spearsy23 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:07 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

As for Huestis’ future, that’s still up in the air. The presumption is that he will be in Oklahoma City next season, as an NBA rookie. But he’s gotten no guarantees.

“Right now, I am not really thinking about that,” he said. “I am just thinking about this season and getting better and everything that I can control.”

In terms of the Jerrett comparison, it's much worse from the standpoint of money and years guaranteed. If he doesn't become a semi-useful NBA player he'll be a lot harder to unload.

Jerrett got two guaranteed years, that's what Huestis will get...
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#18 » by spearsy23 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Old Man Game wrote:

He was drafted to be a 3 and D guy right? True shooting percentage is actually making him look slightly better. Or would be if he were an especially potent 3 point shooter.

Was Bruce Bowen a good 3 and D guy? He was in the league 6 years before posting a ts% above 50. Is Huestis going to be Bowen? Unlikely, but it was unlikely that Jackson became Westbrook light, ibaka became the best 3 and D player imaginable, Westbrook became a top three pg, etc. Huestis has been told 'learn to shoot three's and keep playing D' and that's what he is trying to do.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Old Man Game » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:50 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Was Bruce Bowen a good 3 and D guy? He was in the league 6 years before posting a ts% above 50. Is Huestis going to be Bowen? Unlikely, but it was unlikely that Jackson became Westbrook light, ibaka became the best 3 and D player imaginable, Westbrook became a top three pg, etc. Huestis has been told 'learn to shoot three's and keep playing D' and that's what he is trying to do.

That was against NBA, not D League competition, but I digress, you really think we're going to wait around that long for Josh Huestis on the slim chances he can develop a consistent three point shot and not otherwise be a total liability? You yourself said you believed he'd only get 2 years guaranteed. Might as well cut bait and move on from this ridiculous idea right now.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#20 » by youngthegiant » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 pm

doesn't he get a guaranteed contract since he was a 1st Rd pick. Presti's reputation would take a hit if he didn't.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder