Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,227

Re: Don't give Josh Huestis a contract 

Post#21 » by BadWolf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:30 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:He wasn't drafted to do a single thing those numbers measure.

He was drafted to be a 3 and D guy right? True shooting percentage is actually making him look slightly better. Or would be if he were an especially potent 3 point shooter.

Was Bruce Bowen a good 3 and D guy? He was in the league 6 years before posting a ts% above 50. Is Huestis going to be Bowen? Unlikely, but it was unlikely that Jackson became Westbrook light, ibaka became the best 3 and D player imaginable, Westbrook became a top three pg, etc. Huestis has been told 'learn to shoot three's and keep playing D' and that's what he is trying to do.

did you watch him? is he exceptional at D?
i think Roberson was the weak link when the team as at full health and that they should get someone more average on offense. Huestis looks like downgrade from Roberson. He could take 15th spot, but I don't expect anything from him.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#22 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:29 pm

BadWolf wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
He was drafted to be a 3 and D guy right? True shooting percentage is actually making him look slightly better. Or would be if he were an especially potent 3 point shooter.

Was Bruce Bowen a good 3 and D guy? He was in the league 6 years before posting a ts% above 50. Is Huestis going to be Bowen? Unlikely, but it was unlikely that Jackson became Westbrook light, ibaka became the best 3 and D player imaginable, Westbrook became a top three pg, etc. Huestis has been told 'learn to shoot three's and keep playing D' and that's what he is trying to do.

did you watch him? is he exceptional at D?
i think Roberson was the weak link when the team as at full health and that they should get someone more average on offense. Huestis looks like downgrade from Roberson. He could take 15th spot, but I don't expect anything from him.

When the team was full strenght, Roberson is exactly what they need. The last thing they need is another scorer, what they need is someone to cover up defensively. This team just put up some of the worst defensive numbers in a long time (and ever for the Thunder) when he was out. Ibaka's big defensively, but Roberson is the next best defender on this team. I don't want Russ guarding the opponent's best perimeter guy whenever possible.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,227

Post#23 » by BadWolf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 pm

eh, Roberson is not exactl what they need, he's adequate, but they play 4 on 5 on offense
a better 3&d player at 2 is needed, a better shooter
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#24 » by spearsy23 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:36 am

BadWolf wrote:eh, Roberson is not exactl what they need, he's adequate, but they play 4 on 5 on offense

The offense is better with Roberson than without, that's all that needs to be said.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:51 am

BadWolf wrote:eh, Roberson is not exactl what they need, he's adequate, but they play 4 on 5 on offense

What spearsy said.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#26 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:56 am

But guys, back to Bad Wolf's point, Huestis isn't even as competent as Roberson. What's the point? Just a complete waste of a roster spot if they actually bring him on board.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#27 » by spearsy23 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Old Man Game wrote:But guys, back to Bad Wolf's point, Huestis isn't even as competent as Roberson. What's the point? Just a complete waste of a roster spot if they actually bring him on board.

And Christon isn't as good as DJ, the rookie likely won't be as good as Waiters or Lamb. You don't sign young guys based purely on what they currently are.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Old Man Game » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:37 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:But guys, back to Bad Wolf's point, Huestis isn't even as competent as Roberson. What's the point? Just a complete waste of a roster spot if they actually bring him on board.

And Christon isn't as good as DJ, the rookie likely won't be as good as Waiters or Lamb. You don't sign young guys based purely on what they currently are.

Okay, that's a fair point, to which I would just point out that the guy will be 24 a month and a half into next season. Roberson will be 24 also but will have 2 seasons of NBA experience under his belt. I don't know how much better you can expect a converted PF to get at that age if he isn't already showing some aptitude. Other than jacking up spot up 3 pointers with mixed results he's shown little to nothing in terms of perimeter offensive game.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 10h10 hours ago
Grizz have 15 guaranteed contracts. Mavs headed for more than 15. And word is Thunder are saving final open roster spot for Josh Huestis

Bringing this thread back now that even Marc Stein is indicating that we are saving our last roster spot for Huestis. Say what you will about Presti but he's a man of his word.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by bondom34 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 10h10 hours ago
Grizz have 15 guaranteed contracts. Mavs headed for more than 15. And word is Thunder are saving final open roster spot for Josh Huestis

Bringing this thread back now that even Marc Stein is indicating that we are saving our last roster spot for Huestis. Say what you will about Presti but he's a man of his word.

Agreed, and honestly I'd rather this over Miller either way. Neither guy likely to get much time.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:11 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 10h10 hours ago

Agreed, and honestly I'd rather this over Miller either way. Neither guy likely to get much time.

I thought that at first also but it occurred to me that Morrow has a history of being somewhat injury prone. Having Miller as another spot up shooter wouldn't be too bad a strategy. However, the word is he wants to go somewhere he'll actually get minutes :roll: . So he probably wouldn't want to come here anyway.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Post#32 » by wizkid27 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:18 pm

If Miller is going somewhere that he'll get minutes it will probably be in a different league... I don't see the logic on Huestis, but I'd prefer giving him a shot to signing Miller to waive a towel and be mad that he's not getting minutes!
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#33 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:28 am

Huestis just got his 4 year rookie deal.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:32 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Huestis just got his 4 year rookie deal.

Yep. Well I look forward to the numerous D League assignments.
CancerAssassin
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#35 » by CancerAssassin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:43 pm

I really like Heustis from a personal/locker room perspective. We've had a lot of issues with players not accepting their role and I think he's clearly doing that. From a basketball perspective, he's a waste of a pick.
The question in my mind is "Would KJ McDaniels have accepted the role?"
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#36 » by spearsy23 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:49 am

CancerAssassin wrote:I really like Heustis from a personal/locker room perspective. We've had a lot of issues with players not accepting their role and I think he's clearly doing that. From a basketball perspective, he's a waste of a pick.
The question in my mind is "Would KJ McDaniels have accepted the role?"

No. Also KJ just isn't that good. He had a hot start last year but it was fool's gold. He's probably better in a vacuum than Huestis, but he wouldn't get minutes either and there were some complaints about pt in philly.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder