OKC Thunder Offseason 2015

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

BIG EDDIE
Rookie
And1: 12

Re: OKC Thunder Offseason 2015 

Post#701 » by BIG EDDIE » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:11 pm

Kanter's defensive weakness is way too blown up. He is not a good defender, but there are loads of not good defenders in the NBA who the people still consider to be elite players: Harden, Irving, Monta Ellis, Brook Lopez, Carmelo, Lillard.

Then there are players, whos defense has improved, like Pau Gasol or Al Jefferson.

Brook Lopez got 20 mil, Greg Monroe got also max money and Thad Young got 12.5 mil... Did anyone talk about those players' defense? They are also far from good defenders.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!
Podirk
Senior
And1: 179

Post#702 » by Podirk » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:58 pm

You sign Kanter no matter what..max...doesn't wanna play defense...etc.

The only contract that Thunder can add are exceptions and minimums. Sign Kanter to whatever and in the future you can trade to bring over bigger contracts that the Thunder otherwise have no shot at.
"no more questions for you bro.......troll"
Podirk
Senior
And1: 179

Post#703 » by Podirk » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:03 pm

http://m.newsok.com/whats-going-on-with-enes-kanter-contract-talks/article/5431616

Better article in my opinion on Kanter than Slaters. Key is who knows? And it doesn't matter cause Thunder will match.

I'm betting on the pizza scenario.
"no more questions for you bro.......troll"
Soonerule
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#704 » by Soonerule » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:43 pm

Interesting.

This list for example: Harden, Irving, Monta Ellis, Brook Lopez, Carmelo, Lillard

One Finals appearance in the lot and that player, Harden, is not a post player like Kanter.

When it comes to defense, I defer to what the best coach in the NBA has to say on the subject:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/16/spurs-and-heat-help-prove-that-defense-wins-championships/

The key is reducing opponents field goal shooting percentage. Hard to do when you are giving up lay ups.

I think there is at least a 95% chance that Kanter is in OKC next season. I just hope Presti isn't forced to swallow a deal that obligates us to Kanter too long if his defense doesn't improve. I think Presti is playing it right. Make the qualifying offer, sit down at the negotiating table and see if you can work a deal that works best for the team of if you can't, let the process take its course.

It could very well work in the Thunder's favor.
Soonerule
Sophomore

Post#705 » by Soonerule » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:57 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Well, obviously a hypothetical, as I don't see anyone being that blunt about it. But with an attitude you may let him see if anyone gives him an offer and see if you can pull a sign and trade. Because the only other option is to go into the season with no backup C.

I go straight to KD and Russ and ask them what they want done. I can't just let him walk without letting them know why. But if he was stupid enough to say that, I'm fine with Mitch playing backup C.

I believe it should be a given that all the GM's looking for a center have been in touch with Utah. They know his history, they know his stats. I let him go on the market if he doesn't take the deal I want to give him.

spearsy, I bet Presti has already had that conversation and already has their input on Kanter.
Marcus50
Junior
And1: 85

Post#706 » by Marcus50 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:35 pm

In all sports defense is as much about mindset and attitude as skill. That is my only red flag on Kanter
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#707 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:53 pm

Soonerule wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Well, obviously a hypothetical, as I don't see anyone being that blunt about it. But with an attitude you may let him see if anyone gives him an offer and see if you can pull a sign and trade. Because the only other option is to go into the season with no backup C.

I go straight to KD and Russ and ask them what they want done. I can't just let him walk without letting them know why. But if he was stupid enough to say that, I'm fine with Mitch playing backup C.

I believe it should be a given that all the GM's looking for a center have been in touch with Utah. They know his history, they know his stats. I let him go on the market if he doesn't take the deal I want to give him.

spearsy, I bet Presti has already had that conversation and already has their input on Kanter.

There's no reason for Presti to have had that conversation. He's on record saying he doesn't make decisions based on what KD wants. The only reason he'd need to go to them is if he's just letting Kanter walk, that would guarantee KD leaves if he isn't given a reason.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Soonerule
Sophomore

Post#708 » by Soonerule » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:06 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Soonerule wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I go straight to KD and Russ and ask them what they want done. I can't just let him walk without letting them know why. But if he was stupid enough to say that, I'm fine with Mitch playing backup C.

There's no reason for Presti to have had that conversation. He's on record saying he doesn't make decisions based on what KD wants. The only reason he'd need to go to them is if he's just letting Kanter walk, that would guarantee KD leaves if he isn't given a reason.

How much of Presti's comment that he doesn't base his decisions off of what his stars think might have been based on not wanting them to bear the burden of wearing the black hat during the coaching change? I seriously doubt that Presti is going into this negotiation without a pretty good idea about how Durant and Westbrook feel about Kanter.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#709 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:20 pm

For some reason I find this mesmerizing...

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/4reYOmk-sh/[/instagram]
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#710 » by KD35Brah » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:03 pm

Since RoLo and DJ have been signed it looks like this is Kanter's turn.

I doubt anyone offers him a max.
Soonerule
Sophomore

Post#711 » by Soonerule » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:53 pm

Now that all the teams reportedly looking for a center have their man it would be ironic if the Thunder get Kanter for a year at the qualifying offer price.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#712 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:11 pm

Soonerule wrote:Now that all the teams reportedly looking for a center have their man it would be ironic if the Thunder get Kanter for a year at the qualifying offer price.

I can't see Kanter doing that. Even if we say the Thunder are only offering him 4yrs and $44M if he took the QO he would need to get over $12M/yr for 3 years just to break even. If he got seriously hurt or something he could end up losing a lot of money.

Do not attempt to compare it to Monroe. Monroe wanted out of Detroit. Monroe had max contract offers and wouldn't sign them because he knew Detroit would match. Monroe tried to get teams to work out a S&T for him and no one could work it out with Detroit. So Monroe took the QO so he could get out of Detroit after the year. Detroit screwed up in not getting something out of him while they could.

Kanter has said repeatedly he wants to return to OKC. Kanter, and more specifically his agent, is just trying to get the market value. I didn't expect a fast signing because I didn't expect OKC to offer more than $10M/yr and then Kanter was going to test the market knowing that he could take $40M, give or take, or could test the market and possibly get more. He knows OKC will match any offer and Kanter is much better off taking the guaranteed money with at least one if not two more big contracts coming during his career, assuming he progresses. He's realizing how much more valuable an all D no O big man is to GMs than an all O no D big man. So he should be motivated to bust his ass on his D and become a big time center when he hits FA again in 4 years when he can possibly improve himself to a max player.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Marcus50
Junior

Post#713 » by Marcus50 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:12 pm

Doc will make an offer to Kanter I expect now that DJ is going to Mavs
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#714 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:19 pm

Does Doc have Capspace?
Marcus50
Junior

Post#715 » by Marcus50 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:26 pm

Very good point and I'm not sure.
Soonerule
Sophomore

Post#716 » by Soonerule » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:00 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Soonerule wrote:Now that all the teams reportedly looking for a center have their man it would be ironic if the Thunder get Kanter for a year at the qualifying offer price.

I can't see Kanter doing that. Even if we say the Thunder are only offering him 4yrs and $44M if he took the QO he would need to get over $12M/yr for 3 years just to break even. If he got seriously hurt or something he could end up losing a lot of money.

Do not attempt to compare it to Monroe. Monroe wanted out of Detroit. Monroe had max contract offers and wouldn't sign them because he knew Detroit would match. Monroe tried to get teams to work out a S&T for him and no one could work it out with Detroit. So Monroe took the QO so he could get out of Detroit after the year. Detroit screwed up in not getting something out of him while they could.

Kanter has said repeatedly he wants to return to OKC. Kanter, and more specifically his agent, is just trying to get the market value. I didn't expect a fast signing because I didn't expect OKC to offer more than $10M/yr and then Kanter was going to test the market knowing that he could take $40M, give or take, or could test the market and possibly get more. He knows OKC will match any offer and Kanter is much better off taking the guaranteed money with at least one if not two more big contracts coming during his career, assuming he progresses. He's realizing how much more valuable an all D no O big man is to GMs than an all O no D big man. So he should be motivated to bust his ass on his D and become a big time center when he hits FA again in 4 years when he can possibly improve himself to a max player.

Dunno Kizz, the kid hasn't made too many good decisions thus far and his agent hasn't helped.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#717 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:09 pm

Sadly I could see it too. I think his agent is his ultimatehype man.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Soonerule
Sophomore

Post#718 » by Soonerule » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:12 am

bondom34 wrote:Sadly I could see it too. I think his agent is his ultimatehype man.

That is why he only has 1 client.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#719 » by bondom34 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:45 am

This needs to be here too. Every once in a while I worry about KD leaving, then he does stuff like this.

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/4r6g40TSjH/[/instagram]
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#720 » by KD35Brah » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:58 am

bondom34 wrote:This needs to be here too. Every once in a while I worry about KD leaving, then he does stuff like this.

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/4r6g40TSjH/[/instagram]

GOAT

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder