Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,818

Re: Billy Donovan... 

Post#201 » by QPR » Sat May 9, 2015 1:04 am

spearsy23 wrote:
QPR wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:The thunder haven't lost a playoff series with a healthy Durant/Russ/Ibaka since the 2012 finals.

Thanks to Reggie Jackson tbf.

Sure, he had one nice series with a supreme game, but is that supposed to be a knock? I mean the complaint is that Brooks never managed an offense that got anyone else involved, you can't use both arguments at the same time. Sometimes a guy is going to need to step up, Reggie did, and they still won.

I was being facetious yes, but the series' we played with all three healthy since the finals are limited to the first round against Memphis, which went to seven and you could easily argue without Jackson's G4 down and Randolph having a brain spasm we may have lost that, and the Clippers the next round, which was a gutsy win but again had several games where we couldn't close out in the 4th (notably G4 again).

So really, I don't know if saying we're undefeated in the playoffs with a healthy KD/RW/SI really says anything positive or negative. We won two close series' that you would expect to win as a 1/2 seed.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#202 » by bondom34 » Sat May 9, 2015 4:59 am

QPR wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
QPR wrote:
Thanks to Reggie Jackson tbf.

Sure, he had one nice series with a supreme game, but is that supposed to be a knock? I mean the complaint is that Brooks never managed an offense that got anyone else involved, you can't use both arguments at the same time. Sometimes a guy is going to need to step up, Reggie did, and they still won.

I was being facetious yes, but the series' we played with all three healthy since the finals are limited to the first round against Memphis, which went to seven and you could easily argue without Jackson's G4 down and Randolph having a brain spasm we may have lost that, and the Clippers the next round, which was a gutsy win but again had several games where we couldn't close out in the 4th (notably G4 again).

So really, I don't know if saying we're undefeated in the playoffs with a healthy KD/RW/SI really says anything positive or negative. We won two close series' that you would expect to win as a 1/2 seed.

If Brooks gets docked for RJ, can we not count the LAC win tonight because of Austin Rivers? Frankly its much more random for him to go off than Jackson was.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,818

Post#203 » by QPR » Sat May 9, 2015 6:21 am

Suits me. Doc is one of the most overrated coaches of all time IMO.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by bondom34 » Sat May 9, 2015 6:54 am

Actually, I agree w/ that somewhat too, just saying its kinda random. Guys are gonna have crazy games sometimes. Doc draws up a mean ETO, but he's got flaws too.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#205 » by KD35Brah » Fri May 29, 2015 4:46 am

I never got to posting articles on Donovan so i'll start now i guess.

This is an articlethat shows how his schemes have evolved from 1999 to 2014.

http://www.scout.com/story/1542562-how- ... kc-thunder
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach

Post#206 » by KD35Brah » Tue Jun 2, 2015 6:16 pm

Insider Article on how Billy Donovan and Fred Hoiberg will transiition into the NBA.
Edited as we can't post full articles. For full article:

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/ ... slate-pros

For the gist of it:

Billy D's offense is slower, more Grizzlies like, Hoiberg faster paced, both post very good kenpom stats. Donovan focuses more on the boards than Hoiberg.

Defensively, Donovan's teams are a solid margin better in pretty much every way. They limit 3 point shooting, hold teams to lower assist rates, and rebound similarly. Both teams will play a different style than they have been if the coaches stay this way.
Of course, the results the Bulls and Thunder achieve will be based as much or more on the teams' veteran rosters than their new coaches. But taking a look at how Donovan's Florida Gators and Hoiberg's Iowa State Cyclones played offers a look at their stylistic preferences. For the past five years, I've averaged both teams' performance in several key stats relative to the average NCAA team. For additional help in how that translates to the NBA, I'll compare those adjusted statistics to the closest NBA comparison from the 2014-15 season.

Pace of play

Hoiberg: plus-5.0 percent (Golden State Warriors plus-4.6 percent)
Donovan: minus-4.1 percent (Utah Jazz minus-3.7 percent)

Efficient Offenses (Florida And Iowa St.)
COACH EFG% FTA/FGA OR% TO% 3A% AST%
Hoiberg +7.5% -8.8% -3.7% -12.6% +19.0% +9.1%
Donovan +7.1% -7.7% +8.6% -8.0% +13.5% +3.8%

On defense

As similar as their teams have been offensively, Donovan and Hoiberg diverge on defense. Under Donovan, Florida has pulled off the unique combination of effectively defending the basket and forcing turnovers. Again, the wide variance in college performance makes the comparison difficult, but the effective field goal percentage the Gators have allowed is better relative to league average than any NBA team managed this year. And their rate of forcing turnovers was similar to this year's Miami Heat.

Divergent Defenses (Florida And Iowa St.)
COACH EFG% FTA/FGA DR% TO% 3A% AST%
Hoiberg -1.8% -23.0% +3.8% -7.8% -0.3% -0.2%
Donovan -6.0% -15.5% +3.8% +6.0% -3.2% -5.5%

Overall

Donovan's style also could be a departure for the Thunder, who have played at a moderately fast pace under Scott Brooks. This season's Memphis Grizzlies are probably the closest match to how the Gators executed at both ends in half-court settings, but as the league moves toward playing faster, there's nobody who has been as balanced at both ends at a snail's pace as Donovan's teams. There's a history of Donovan playing a very different, more aggressive style, and he might want to rediscover that to get the most out of stars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#207 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jun 2, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm pretty sure Donovan will speed up the pace somewhat. The roster is too athletic and too good in transition to not use that advantage.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#208 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 3:00 am

HeartSouloma
Sixth Man
And1: 615

Post#209 » by HeartSouloma » Wed Jun 3, 2015 3:09 am

Balkman32 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--m ... 6-nba.html

Thunder got Monty!

:rockon:

Next a defensive minded coach. Any ideas?
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#210 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Jun 3, 2015 5:12 am

KDfan35 wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--m ... 6-nba.html

Thunder got Monty!

:rockon:

Next a defensive minded coach. Any ideas?

Tibs.

I think we're fine at this point.
Bringing in Monty and keeping most of the previous coaching staff was a big move by Presti and Billy.
Donovan and Monty are both pretty balanced when it comes to coaching both sides of the floor.
I also imagine that Presti knows something we don't about the defensive development of this team and the guys they kept. It seems to me that Presti would be a guy who would ensure that defense stayed put.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#211 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Jun 3, 2015 5:50 am

spearsy23 wrote:I'm pretty sure Donovan will speed up the pace somewhat. The roster is too athletic and too good in transition to not use that advantage.

There will be a natural pace transition for his style without increasing his use of transition. I don't think it will go beyond that for him simply because of how methodical of a coach he is, which he (we) will take full advantage of because of our big men. Brooks was a fairly poor big man coach, he was poor at drawing up plays, developing, hell he basically turned Ibaka into a 3, etc.
Donovan loves having two capable bigs. And after drafting McGary and trading for Kanter, our front court depth is probably the best and most capable in the league.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by bondom34 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 6:19 am

Despite the Pels stats, Williams was supposedly a defensive coach. I'm wondering if there's another hire if its for offense.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#213 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 8:58 am

Bravenewworld wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I'm pretty sure Donovan will speed up the pace somewhat. The roster is too athletic and too good in transition to not use that advantage.

There will be a natural pace transition for his style without increasing his use of transition. I don't think it will go beyond that for him simply because of how methodical of a coach he is, which he (we) will take full advantage of because of our big men. Brooks was a fairly poor big man coach, he was poor at drawing up plays, developing, hell he basically turned Ibaka into a 3, etc.
Donovan loves having two capable bigs. And after drafting McGary and trading for Kanter, our front court depth is probably the best and most capable in the league.

What bigs was Brooks drawing up plays for? Until last year we didn't have a single competent back to the basket big. At the end of the day I don't care how much 'better' the big man rotation is, playing inside out when we have Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook would be a mistake. I don't think Donovan is stupid, so he's going to let Russ push the pace. Maybe he'll attempt to reign in the quick jumpshots, but he isn't going to force a square peg into a round hole.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#214 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 8:59 am

bondom34 wrote:Despite the Pels stats, Williams was supposedly a defensive coach. I'm wondering if there's another hire if its for offense.

From what I've seen/heard Monty is basically a players coach who doesn't excel at offense or defense. I wonder if we just wanted a guy with real head coaching experience to help ease the transition.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:14 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Bravenewworld wrote:

What bigs was Brooks drawing up plays for? Until last year we didn't have a single competent back to the basket big. At the end of the day I don't care how much 'better' the big man rotation is, playing inside out when we have Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook would be a mistake. I don't think Donovan is stupid, so he's going to let Russ push the pace. Maybe he'll attempt to reign in the quick jumpshots, but he isn't going to force a square peg into a round hole.

You do get that we basically played inside out already right? KD/Westbrook would drive, collapse the defense, take the shot if they could, if not pass out. Having more players involved will do nothing but improve shot selection.
Having Kanter and Ibaka being as productive as possible helps enormously as well. Especially since it looks like this foot issue with KD is going to continue.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#216 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:37 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:
You do get that we basically played inside out already right? KD/Westbrook would drive, collapse the defense, take the shot if they could, if not pass out. Having more players involved will do nothing but improve shot selection.
Having Kanter and Ibaka being as productive as possible helps enormously as well. Especially since it looks like this foot issue with KD is going to continue.

That isn't, and has never been, the common usage of playing inside-out.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach

Post#217 » by KD35Brah » Thu Jun 4, 2015 6:01 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/606325147411152896[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/606325893959516160[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/606326230581846016[/tweet]

I don't know much about him...
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 6:43 am

Borrego would be awesome imo. He did pretty well when he took over ORL, I'd be pretty happy w/ the hires if that was it.

When he was with SAS, check their D ratings from 03-10:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/tea ... ader_teams

:D
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant

Post#219 » by Bravenewworld » Fri Jun 5, 2015 3:36 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Bravenewworld wrote:

That isn't, and has never been, the common usage of playing inside-out.

The point is that the results are similar. Its a type of play designed to collapse a defense with the option of kicking out if a pull up shot or rim shot is not open.
This is also why despite not having a low post big man, OKCs numbers are not reflective of that. We've always had good in the paint scoring, and that is why.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach

Post#220 » by KD35Brah » Sun Jun 7, 2015 12:13 am

bondom34 wrote:Borrego would be awesome imo. He did pretty well when he took over ORL, I'd be pretty happy w/ the hires if that was it.

When he was with SAS, check their D ratings from 03-10:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/tea ... ader_teams

:D

I didn't want to only use his time from SA as a representation of his ability, but maybe Presti believes in him because he was the GM during Borrego's time in SA.

So Presti knows what he is doing going after James it seems.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder