Billy Donovan...

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Billy Donovan... 

Post#181 » by bondom34 » Tue May 5, 2015 5:27 pm

13ringsruling wrote:imagine if the thunder had fired brooks after the 2012 finals and hired brett brown or budenholzer.......can you imagine bud/brown vs pop in the WCF in that case, cos i certainly could.

THAT is what they should have done tbh but hey hindsights 20/20 and they went this route so hopefully everything works out.

I have nothing against either of those guys, but have either won anything?
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#182 » by Pillendreher » Tue May 5, 2015 5:27 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TermineRadio/status/595594282402086914[/tweet]

What do we make of this? I call BS.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
13ringsruling
Senior
And1: 264

Post#183 » by 13ringsruling » Tue May 5, 2015 5:35 pm

bondom34 wrote:
13ringsruling wrote:imagine if the thunder had fired brooks after the 2012 finals and hired brett brown or budenholzer.......can you imagine bud/brown vs pop in the WCF in that case, cos i certainly could.

THAT is what they should have done tbh but hey hindsights 20/20 and they went this route so hopefully everything works out.

havent won anything, not yet. give it time. once philly's gm stops being a smackass i can see them rising to the top of the east for years to come, brown had them playing very well this year (as well as he could have imo) considering its a team of d-leaguers outside of noel. atlanta might not make it out of the east this year but theyll be a top east team for years as well.

so in that regard, i think you hire one of them in summer 2012 after the finals and by now the thunder could very well be a true contender in the stacked west even outside of injuries.

im not saying they wont be a contender under donovan im just positing a what if.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#184 » by bondom34 » Tue May 5, 2015 5:39 pm

13ringsruling wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

havent won anything, not yet. give it time. once philly's gm stops being a smackass i can see them rising to the top of the east for years to come, brown had them playing very well this year (as well as he could have imo) considering its a team of d-leaguers outside of noel. atlanta might not make it out of the east this year but theyll be a top east team for years as well.

so in that regard, i think you hire one of them in summer 2012 after the finals and by now the thunder could very well be a true contender in the stacked west even outside of injuries.

im not saying they wont be a contender under donovan im just positing a what if.

OKC was a top team in the W for years as well.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by bondom34 » Tue May 5, 2015 5:40 pm

Pillendreher wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/TermineRadio/status/595594282402086914[/tweet]

I think a little BS too. Donovan seems to want to meet w/ Russ from everything I've seen. And in the end, if KD stays, Russ does too IMO.
13ringsruling
Senior

Post#186 » by 13ringsruling » Tue May 5, 2015 5:46 pm

obviously they were a top team but......scott brooks' offense was so abominably bad that no matter what performances westbrook and durant put in during that stretch, brooks' simplistic high school offense would get exposed in the playoffs and they'd lose on the road to the chip.

thats my thought. ive watched so many games where its like dude theres a mismatch go to it but no instead westbrook jacks up a contested 20fter with 18 on the shot clock. maybe i just see differently but in my mind its the coaches job to stop just pacing around the scorers table and to scream to his team to go to the mismatch. and to call a timeout to get on his team when they dont go to the mismatch.

and yeah if they consulted with durant they also consulted with westbrook. more media bs.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#187 » by spearsy23 » Tue May 5, 2015 6:43 pm

13ringsruling wrote:obviously they were a top team but......scott brooks' offense was so abominably bad that no matter what performances westbrook and durant put in during that stretch, brooks' simplistic high school offense would get exposed in the playoffs and they'd lose on the road to the chip.

The thunder haven't lost a playoff series with a healthy Durant/Russ/Ibaka since the 2012 finals.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
13ringsruling
Senior

Post#188 » by 13ringsruling » Tue May 5, 2015 6:48 pm

so its just a health thing?
brooks is an offensive genius?
okay
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by bondom34 » Tue May 5, 2015 6:51 pm

13ringsruling wrote:so its just a health thing?
brooks is an offensive genius?
okay

I don't think he said the second part? But OK.
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#190 » by KD35Brah » Wed May 6, 2015 1:53 am

Pillendreher wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/TermineRadio/status/595594282402086914[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/595734290052292608[/tweet]
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,778

Post#191 » by QPR » Wed May 6, 2015 3:02 am

spearsy23 wrote:
13ringsruling wrote:obviously they were a top team but......scott brooks' offense was so abominably bad that no matter what performances westbrook and durant put in during that stretch, brooks' simplistic high school offense would get exposed in the playoffs and they'd lose on the road to the chip.

The thunder haven't lost a playoff series with a healthy Durant/Russ/Ibaka since the 2012 finals.

Thanks to Reggie Jackson tbf.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#192 » by spearsy23 » Wed May 6, 2015 3:36 am

QPR wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

Thanks to Reggie Jackson tbf.

Sure, he had one nice series with a supreme game, but is that supposed to be a knock? I mean the complaint is that Brooks never managed an offense that got anyone else involved, you can't use both arguments at the same time. Sometimes a guy is going to need to step up, Reggie did, and they still won.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Thunderhead
Senior
And1: 287

Post#193 » by Thunderhead » Fri May 8, 2015 12:17 am

Brooks takes crap for playing Waiters the minutes he got .............. but this explains a lot

In the NBA, it's the opposite. Very often you have the dynamic of a general manager or player personnel people or an owner making decisions. That comes into play all the time. "We drafted for this guy" or "We traded for this guy, and you aren't playing him." Yes, you are all trying to win games, but the dynamic creeps up where the front office and ownership wants to play the young guy, or the guy they traded for, or the guy you paid a lot of money for. But you want to play somebody else because you think it gives you the best chance to win. That's a tough situation to deal with.

Its never as cut and dried as fans and bloggers and media want it to be. Coach is put in a dilemna, they want him to develop players, but they also want to win. So coach has to do both.

And then when he's a team player, and plays the young guys to help the future of the team, he gets fired.

Whole lot of realistic truth from PJ Carlesimo here , not just a bunch of fan invented crap ..........

http://www.thefranchiseok.com/thunder-basketball/2015/05/07/some-keen-insight-into-donovans-transition
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by bondom34 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:37 am

Thunderhead wrote:Brooks takes crap for playing Waiters the minutes he got .............. but this explains a lot

In the NBA, it's the opposite. Very often you have the dynamic of a general manager or player personnel people or an owner making decisions. That comes into play all the time. "We drafted for this guy" or "We traded for this guy, and you aren't playing him." Yes, you are all trying to win games, but the dynamic creeps up where the front office and ownership wants to play the young guy, or the guy they traded for, or the guy you paid a lot of money for. But you want to play somebody else because you think it gives you the best chance to win. That's a tough situation to deal with.

Its never as cut and dried as fans and bloggers and media want it to be. Coach is put in a dilemna, they want him to develop players, but they also want to win. So coach has to do both.

And then when he's a team player, and plays the young guys to help the future of the team, he gets fired.

Whole lot of realistic truth from PJ Carlesimo here , not just a bunch of fan invented crap ..........

http://www.thefranchiseok.com/thunder-basketball/2015/05/07/some-keen-insight-into-donovans-transition

I actually took something different from the exact same answer PJ gave that made me feel pretty good about this, knowing Presti and Donovan are tight and have a bit of history:

the NBA, it's the opposite. Very often you have the dynamic of a general manager or player personnel people or an owner making decisions. That comes into play all the time. "We drafted for this guy" or "We traded for this guy, and you aren't playing him." Yes, you are all trying to win games, but the dynamic creeps up where the front office and ownership wants to play the young guy, or the guy they traded for, or the guy you paid a lot of money for. But you want to play somebody else because you think it gives you the best chance to win. That's a tough situation to deal with.

I think Donovan may very well get some say here.
Thunderhead
Senior
And1: 287

Post#195 » by Thunderhead » Fri May 8, 2015 12:25 pm

My point is limited to .............. coach gets all the criticism for line-ups and minutes, when GM plays a large role.

As to Presti working closer with Donovan than Brooks, yeah, I think that's apparent. And pure conjecture on my part, but I got a hunch that Brooks and Presti have drifted apart in the past few seasons.

But don't anybody kid themselves about Roberson ............. that is a Presti player , playing a role that Presti wants him to play. Brooks has had to deal with that, I would bet, just from the comments I've heard from Brooks over his time here, that he would prefer a better offensive player in that role.

Remember when Presti traded for a guy named Brewer ( and forgive me, but I get my NBA Brewers mixed up ) it was Ronnie Brewer ? not Cory Brewer, but anyway, he was a pure defensive player that Brooks never played. Everyone wondered why Brooks was not playing this guy, but no one questioned Presti for trading for him.

I think what PJ is saying, is fans/media/bloggers ... need to pay more attention to the roster supplied the coach and pressure applied to the coach ........ I would bet the conflict between Thibs and the FO in Chicago, is rooted in this kind of stuff. I see so many fans wondering how the hell the FO could fire Thibs, well, this is where its rooted.
Thundestruck
Senior
And1: 193

Post#196 » by Thundestruck » Fri May 8, 2015 1:57 pm

So Brooks had to play Roberson because he is a Presti guy but didn't have to play Brewer even though he was a Presti guy? Why did Brooks have no say over how Roberson was used but Brooks could decide not to play Brewer? Does Brooks only get to decide minutes for certain players?
Thundestruck
Senior
And1: 193

Post#197 » by Thundestruck » Fri May 8, 2015 1:59 pm

Thunderhead wrote:Brooks takes crap for playing Waiters the minutes he got .............. but this explains a lot

You rail against fan invented crap yet speculate that Aubrey is actually running the team and he is doing it like he ran an oil and gas company. At least, keep your arguments consistent. You are throwing as much stuff against the wall as anyone else.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#198 » by bondom34 » Fri May 8, 2015 3:03 pm

A lot of us, including me, liked Brooks, but I feel like we're just finding stuff to argue in a way. I think it's a time of uncertainty but excitement too, and I'm pumped for next year. Was just reading newsok about possible assistants, I'd still like Malone as a possible assistant, and get Royal back on the bench, I think they were undefeated with him two years ago.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,778

Post#199 » by QPR » Sat May 9, 2015 12:58 am

This thread is still more coherent than the domestic violence thread on the MB.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by bondom34 » Sat May 9, 2015 12:59 am

QPR wrote:This thread is still more coherent than the domestic violence thread on the MB.

That whole thread.....

And the Donovan pic thread! :lol:

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder