Sept 12: Alex Abrines
Sept 13: Ronnie Price
Sept 14: Anthony Morrow
Sept 15: Mitch McGary
Sept 16: Nick Collison
Sept 19: Josh Huestis
Sept 20: Kyle Singler
Sept 21: Training Camp Signings

Today we have the Lithuanian Sensation, DOMANTAS SABONIS.

Bonus second picture:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/domantas_sabonis/
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sabondo01.html

20 years old
Drafted 2016 out of Gonzaga with the 11th pick by the Orlando Magic
6'11"
240lb
1x AP Honorable Mention All-American
1x Second-Team Academic All-American
1x First-Team All-WCC
1x Second-Team All-WCC
1x WCC All-Freshman Team

And Draftexpress:

Questions for the upcoming season:

1: What sort of statline do you expect from him this season?
2: What sort of role will he play offensively and defensively?
3: How quickly do you think he'll adjust to the NBA game?
4: Can he be our starting 4 this year?
5: Should he be on the table in trade talks?
6: Do you think his natural position is going to wind up being power forward or center? Will Billy D play him at center this season at all?

And any others you care to mention.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Player of the Day: Domantas Sabonis 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Wed Sep 7, 2016 4:07 pm

Not sure on 1, but for some others:

2. I think he becomes starter mid/late season, and plays a Collison type role, smart defender, plays within himself offensively. Won't likely score a ton but solid rebounder and passer.

3. I think quickly, he played pro ball already, albeit not for money. I think he gets up to speed relatively quick, again mid/late season.

4. Yep

5. Sure, but I'd say everyone other than Russ and Adams should for now.

6. PF, I just don't think he's big enough to play much if any center and I hope Donovan doesn't and don't think he will unless they're in a small matchup.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Wed Sep 7, 2016 4:07 pm

This is also the guy I'm most excited to see I think this season, I'm really intrigued.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#4 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Sep 7, 2016 5:26 pm

Interestingly enough, he's pretty close in listed weight to Gortat, Chandler, LMA, Towns, Gobert, Splitter, Hawes, Kanter, Biyombo...he's definitely closer to PF/heavy SF weight than most Cs, but he's in the weight range of a lot of the lighter rim-running Cs.

Also holy crap Pekovic is 307. And Favors is the biggest PF in the league at 265. With Randolph, Sullinger and McGary right behind him.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#5 » by getrichordie » Wed Sep 7, 2016 5:45 pm

I don't think there's anyway that Sabonis starts this year. That's crazy. Last time we truly started a rookie, I believe it was Roberson. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think Sabonis has a big adjustment to make. He hasn't played against the low post defenders that the NBA has to offer. He needs to get quicker and a little stronger.

He will get lost in the rotation for most of the season behind the likes of Adams, Ilyasova, Lauvergne, Kanter. Unless one of them gets traded and that will most likely happen IMO, he won't get many minutes. In fact, we may send him to D-League like we have with so many of our other prospects.

He should definitely be in trade talks. Presti has to consider every angle to make this team better. Only untouchable piece is Russ and maybe Adams.

His natural position in the NBA is definitely PF. I think he's a little small and short on the wingspan to be a rim protector. There's a lot of Cs that would eat him up.

Offensively he's going to play the same role Serge Ibaka plays on offense with some more post moves and drives sprinkled in.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Sep 7, 2016 5:48 pm

getrichordie wrote:I don't think there's anyway that Sabonis starts this year. That's crazy. Last time we truly started a rookie, I believe it was Roberson. Correct me if I am wrong.

Adams started 20 games in 13-14.

FWIW on Sabonis, Smitty's report from Orlando Summer League was that they thought he could start by the end of the year, that he was a pretty NBA-ready prospect.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Wed Sep 7, 2016 5:57 pm

And Sabonis did play pro ball. A year in Euroleague.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#8 » by getrichordie » Wed Sep 7, 2016 9:46 pm

dbrandon wrote:
getrichordie wrote:I don't think there's anyway that Sabonis starts this year. That's crazy. Last time we truly started a rookie, I believe it was Roberson. Correct me if I am wrong.

Adams started 20 games in 13-14.

FWIW on Sabonis, Smitty's report from Orlando Summer League was that they thought he could start by the end of the year, that he was a pretty NBA-ready prospect.

Well, I mean, I don't mean starting a handful of games but actually being a full-fledged starter. As long as Ilyasova is there I don't think he starts.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#9 » by Old Man Game » Thu Sep 8, 2016 3:18 am

Still not clear what to make of him. He had some really nice moments in the Olympics but he also had some games where he totally disappeared on the floor. On balance I thought we saw enough to be somewhat optimistic but we'll have to see him against NBA regulars before we get too excited.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Old Man Game » Thu Sep 8, 2016 3:18 am

bondom34 wrote:And Sabonis did play pro ball. A year in Euroleague.

I'm confused. Can you just opt to play for a pro team over there and not take pay to preserve NCAA eligibility?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 3:32 am

Old Man Game wrote:

I'm confused. Can you just opt to play for a pro team over there and not take pay to preserve NCAA eligibility?

I think so, Horne mentioned it on a podcast and I never realized either.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:42 pm

jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#13 » by jambalaya » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Did Donovan recruit Sabonis at Florida? If not, does he wish he had? was Sabonis interested? questions a go the extra yards media person could pursue.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,739

Post#14 » by UcanUwill » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:34 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Most Euro NCAA players were pros before going to college. Players turn PRO (get scooped by pro teams) very early in Europe
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Old Man Game » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:07 am

UcanUwill wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Most Euro NCAA players were pros before going to college. Players turn PRO (get scooped by pro teams) very early in Europe

But are they getting paid? Or is it like a stipend just for living expense or something. The NCAA is really hard nosed about not letting people play who have been paid. I know that's why Kanter didn't get to play at Kentucky.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,739

Post#16 » by UcanUwill » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 am

Old Man Game wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I think so, Horne mentioned it on a podcast and I never realized either.

But are they getting paid? Or is it like a stipend just for living expense or something. The NCAA is really hard nosed about not letting people play who have been paid. I know that's why Kanter didn't get to play at Kentucky.

I have no idea how these NCAA rules work and all, but I am pretty sure they get paid. We need to dig deeper into that Kanter situation to unedrstand the rules better. Sabonis played for Spanish team for 3 years, way before he even decided to go to college. It would be pretty absurd to believe he didn't get paid.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by bondom34 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:37 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I have no idea how these NCAA rules work and all, but I am pretty sure they get paid. We need to dig deeper into that Kanter situation to unedrstand the rules better. Sabonis played for Spanish team for 3 years, way before he even decided to go to college. It would be pretty absurd to believe he didn't get paid.

Sabonis wasn't paid. Horne mentioned it I'm almost positive, but he couldn't be paid and play for Gonzaga.
sv-x-as
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,074

Post#18 » by sv-x-as » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:06 am

Sabonis did not get paid. Money is not an issue for them.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#19 » by spearsy23 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:38 pm

sv-x-as wrote:Sabonis did not get paid. Money is not an issue for them.

The way I understand it is that it's basically like a boarding school scholarship where they'll pay for housing and food. Is that accurate?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
sv-x-as
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,074

Post#20 » by sv-x-as » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:18 am

spearsy23 wrote:
sv-x-as wrote:Sabonis did not get paid. Money is not an issue for them.

The way I understand it is that it's basically like a boarding school scholarship where they'll pay for housing and food. Is that accurate?

Im not sure about the details. But as I understand it, he got offered a contract but denied, because he wanted to be eligible to play in NCAA. What kind of agreement he had before I dont know. Probably something similar to scholarship which you mentioned.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder