All-Time non-Elite Fantasy Draft, Draft Thread

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Re: All-Time non-Elite Fantasy Draft, Draft Thread 

Post#221 » by JeepCSC » Thu Mar 5, 2015 3:25 pm

Oh, I missed your post in there. Too busy reading the draft list.

I edited the first page so you should now see the full updated draft list there. Saves us from searching the thread for it. I'll try and keep it updated.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#222 » by Quotatious » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:07 pm

Kevin Johnson for me.

trex_8063 wrote:Eesh, and just like that it looks like I'm up again for my 3rd pick.....

Since we're going with "modern day rules", I think the backcourt is of paramount importance. The current rules are really kinda catered for the perimeter players. That being the case, I'm want to cement my starting back-court now while I can.

So I need a PG/facilitator, and I need one who spreads the floor by providing dangerous 3pt threat. Would also like one who provides sound leadership intangibles, clutch play, and good perimeter defense, too.

So I'm going with Chauncey Billups.

You're up.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Post#223 » by trex_8063 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:40 pm

Hard to believe he's still on the board at the end of the 4th round, but I'm going to go with Rick Barry, though I'm largely intending to use him as offensive leader of my 2nd unit (more on utility and functionality when we get to the playoffs).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by Quotatious » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:48 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:Ack, you're right. Change that Frazier pick to Isiah Thomas.

Your next pick.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,074

Post#225 » by SkyHookFTW » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm going all-out modern with my next pick...The Beard, James Harden. Those last three years look real good, and flopping aside, you can't deny his talent. 6'5" SG who can run, score, defend...and has a cool beard.

Now to round out my front court. I feel that I already have an elite post-up game, GOAT rebounding and scoring with Moses and McHale. Now I see a guy on the board that surprises me. 8x all-NBA 1st defensve team, once second team. 4x all-star. Very efficient shooter with low usage. Total team player who makes his team better just by being on the floor. Was also an NBA 6th man of the year, an ABA all-star as well as all-defensive player of the year. Welcome to the team...Bobby Jones.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#226 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:39 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:I'm going all-out modern with my next pick...The Beard, James Harden. Those last three years look real good, and flopping aside, you can't deny his talent. 6'5" SG who can run, score, defend...and has a cool beard.

Hahaha. For everyone who still hasn't figured it out, this is who I was referring to. In the end I decided that having Harden, Nash and Soudemire on the defensive end was asking for disaster. Glad he found a home with someone else, he fits really well with your team.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach

Post#227 » by SkyHookFTW » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:52 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SkyHookFTW wrote:I'm going all-out modern with my next pick...The Beard, James Harden. Those last three years look real good, and flopping aside, you can't deny his talent. 6'5" SG who can run, score, defend...and has a cool beard.

Hahaha. For everyone who still hasn't figured it out, this is who I was referring to. In the end I decided that having Harden, Nash and Soudemire on the defensive end was asking for disaster. Glad he found a home with someone else, he fits really well with your team.

"I would say you really flopped with that guess"...when you made that statement, I figured everyone knew who you meant, lol. He's not as bad a defender as you say, but he does fit on my team well. I'll say that if Bobby Jones wasn't on the board I don't think I make that pick. Jones was a stone cold lock down defender all over the floor who has speed and could leap with the best of them. Jones can cover the sins of others.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by Quotatious » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:08 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Hard to believe he's still on the board at the end of the 4th round, but I'm going to go with Rick Barry, though I'm largely intending to use him as offensive leader of my 2nd unit (more on utility and functionality when we get to the playoffs).

You're up again.

BTW - nice pick, although I can't fathom Barry ever accepting the sixth man role...Strictly basketball-wise, he would fit pretty well on my team, too.
poopdamoop
Assistant Coach
And1: 823

Post#229 » by poopdamoop » Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:01 am

Now to round out my front court. I feel that I already have an elite post-up game, GOAT rebounding and scoring with Moses and McHale. Now I see a guy on the board that surprises me. 8x all-NBA 1st defensve team, once second team. 4x all-star. Very efficient shooter with low usage. Total team player who makes his team better just by being on the floor. Was also an NBA 6th man of the year, an ABA all-star as well as all-defensive player of the year. Welcome to the team...Bobby Jones.

Great pick with Jones. Strongly considered him with my last pick, but thought he would fall to me in the 5th.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach

Post#230 » by SkyHookFTW » Fri Mar 6, 2015 1:42 am

poopdamoop wrote:

Great pick with Jones. Strongly considered him with my last pick, but thought he would fall to me in the 5th.

I was praying that he would still be there for me.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#231 » by trex_8063 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:20 am

Quotatious wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:Hard to believe he's still on the board at the end of the 4th round, but I'm going to go with Rick Barry, though I'm largely intending to use him as offensive leader of my 2nd unit (more on utility and functionality when we get to the playoffs).

You're up again.

BTW - nice pick, although I can't fathom Barry ever accepting the sixth man role...Strictly basketball-wise, he would fit pretty well on my team, too.

I had some reluctance to take him---even with it being such a "steal" here late in the 4th round---for that reason. Although I think even Barry, as egotistical as he is, is able to grasp that he's a superstar on a team of superstars and all-stars in this hypothetical. Further, he might be happier NOT playing alongside guys like Gervin very often (enabling him to get plenty of shots of his own).

At any rate, I think I can always start him (so he has the distinction of being a "starter" on this team of stars), and then just yank him early in 1st quarters so that I can then re-insert him with the second unit. But that is the primary role I have in mind for him: to be the offensive engine of the 2nd unit.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#232 » by trex_8063 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:29 am

OK, I'm up again.....

I've got plenty of offense already in my starting line-up, especially at the wings and center position; I've got a poised, stellar 3pt shooting and strong defensive PG, and a GOAT-level defensive anchor at C. What I need in my PF is a guy who can give my solid defense and rebounding, someone big and strong enough to guard the larger PF/C's, but also quick enough laterally to effectively hedge and recover on the pick n' roll. Offensively, I need someone comfortable and happy taking a low-profile role, who doesn't make costly mistakes, can hit some open 12-18 footers, does a great job cleaning up on the offensive glass as the defense loses track of him (while paying attention to Gervin, DRob, Barry, etc), and maybe some occasional facilitating from the high-post for the better scorers placed all around him.

So with my 5th pick, I'm taking Horace Grant. I think he's the perfect fit for the rest of the line-up I've already formed.

Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by Quotatious » Fri Mar 6, 2015 3:16 am

Only one of my players is a threat from beyond the arc, and even he isn't particularly good at it (Drexler, 32.3% 3P for the three-year stretch I selected), so I need a true marksman at the small forward position, and this guy is about as good a 3-point shooter as there ever was, at that position.

Peja Stojakovic.

HeartBreakKid wrote:I'll draft the guy who I am pretty sure everyone is alluding too. Give me Bob Pettit!

Back to you.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#234 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Mar 6, 2015 3:30 am

Thinkin bout my pick, will pick soon.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: Re: Re: All-Time non-Elite Fantasy Draft, Draft Thread 

Post#235 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:17 am

I'm gonna take Mike Conley for his steady play. He'll plug in the roles I need for a point guard, can shoot, play defense, handle the rock, not going to try to score too much.

RevisIsland wrote:
thizznation wrote:
RevisIsland wrote:
Shhhhh. I know who you are talking about. He isn't the greatest fit on my team, but the talent level is ridiculous and it's shocking to me that he is still available. I'm considering taking him next, but leaning more towards a taller, very well-rounded player who fits my team seamlessly.

The guy you are talking about is pretty tall, he would be listed at 6'10'' at least or perhaps 6'11'' in today's nba. Prototypical size for the modern powerforward.

I'm dumb. A little google is all it took to realize how wrong I was. But there is a very, very good player I'm looking at from ab earlier era. Giordunk needs to pick.

your turn
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 489

Post#236 » by giordunk » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:49 am

So I have a pick coming up soon, there's one player that is hands down the better player, but there's another player that I may draft for fit. And the way you guys are drafting so far, I think there's a fair chance that the player I want to draft for fit will get taken soon.
i like peanuts
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#237 » by Quotatious » Fri Mar 6, 2015 10:56 am

There's one guy who's an absolute legend, but he played a very long time ago, so I can see why he isn't exactly a hot commodity. I'm wondering if someone who doesn't have a small forward yet is going to pick him up...
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 489

Post#238 » by giordunk » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:28 pm

Quotatious wrote:There's one guy who's an absolute legend, but he played a very long time ago, so I can see why he isn't exactly a hot commodity. I'm wondering if someone who doesn't have a small forward yet is going to pick him up...

I think I know who you are talking about. It's tough for me to pick him because people here don't seem to value the old guys as much.
i like peanuts
RevisIsland
Senior
And1: 148

Post#239 » by RevisIsland » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:30 pm

This has definitely been my hardest pick yet. There is so much sheer talent left on the board, but I'm not sure how a lot of those players would fit with my team as currently constructed. This may be a reach, but I'm going to select Kawhi Leonard. I don't exactly need more scoring in my starting line-up. Kawhi is a dependable three-point shooter (36% career, 42% playoff) who will fly all over the floor, harassing offensive players and grabbing rebounding from no where. I have an extremely long team.

PG - Gary Payton (6'4)
SG - Kawhi Leonard (6'7)
SF - Kevin Durant (6'10)
PF - Pau Gasol (7'0)
C - Artis Gilmore (7'2)
RevisIsland
Senior
And1: 148

Post#240 » by RevisIsland » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:31 pm

giordunk wrote:
Quotatious wrote:There's one guy who's an absolute legend, but he played a very long time ago, so I can see why he isn't exactly a hot commodity. I'm wondering if someone who doesn't have a small forward yet is going to pick him up...

I think I know who you are talking about. It's tough for me to pick him because people here don't seem to value the old guys as much.

I strongly considered him, but he needs the ball in his hands too much to be effective on my team. That rebounding tho. :crazy:

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues