FFDL [old thread]

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Re: FFDL [LEAGUE DISCUSSION] 

Post#1081 » by theman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 am

My three first round picks combined to go 2-12 from the field so you aren't missing much.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
sly
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 46

Post#1082 » by sly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 am

Alright... obviously draft picks at this point are winding down. I've skipped those who are late, trying to finalize rosters. For those that I've skipped, post your pick (and drop) if you change your mind before the draft is done.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#1083 » by floppymoose » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 am

If anyone is in win now mode, I'm interested in trading Duncan for a guard.

Alternately, we can talk about trading one of my other F's or Cs for a guard.
AlciG
Starter
And1: 432

Post#1084 » by AlciG » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 am

floppymoose wrote:If anyone is in win now mode, I'm interested in trading Duncan for a guard.

Alternately, we can talk about trading one of my other F's or Cs for a guard.

I'll trade you Nick Young for him :oops:
theman
RealGM

Post#1085 » by theman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:48 pm

I am not sure if anyone else was going to do draft grade so I decided to do mine. If nothing else it gives us something to argue about. Please don't take offence if you got a bad grade I tend to grade hard. Also, I don't think picking the consciencous #1 pick earns you and A. You did what is expected. Also, I did these over the course of a couple days so the grading my not be consistent.

In reality the only way to know the true value of a draft pick is to see how they do over the course of a season, or two or three. But what fun is that? So without further ado here are the grades.

1. Anthony Davis -- insfo
15. insfo (late)
25. insfo (from theman)

With the first overall in the FFDL 2012 insfo selected Anthony Davis, the consenus #1 pick. This was no surprise and Davis' defensive abilities should serve insfo well for a while. Unable to bring himself to cut anyone (from his last place team) he seems to have forfeited his second round picks. These picks could have been used on a high ranked rookie like Mo Harkless or a proven veteran like Big Baby Glen Davis. Grade C.

2. Damien Lillard -- oldno7
26.Tyler Zeller-- oldno7

With the #2 pick oldno7 selected point guard and summer league wonder Damien Lillard. Lillard isn't just penciled in to be the Portland starter at the point it has been cast in stone. Lillard is a score first pass second type of point. If he can not generate more than the 4.0 assist per game he averaged in college he won't have the fantasy value that one would expect from the #2 pick.
All told Lillard is a solid pick at number two but, ON7 gave up Brook Lopez and the #7 pick to move up to #2 to take Lillard. Lopez is a solid center so that may have been a lot to give up to move up 5 slots in a deep draft.
In the second round OldNo7 picked up Tyler Zeller. Zeller is an NBA ready center, who may not be the most gifted athleticly but has the skills that may help oldno7 fan forget about the lose of Brook Lopez.
Grade B-

3. Bradley Beal -- sly
11. Austin Rivers -- sly
Sly had two obvious needs going into the draft, Shooting gaurd and Point guard. He possibly filled both needs with this draft. Beal is widely considered the best 2 guard in the draft and Rivers, although not a natural point will fill that role in New Orleans. Both player should contribute immediately. Grade A-.

4. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist -- kohanz
18. kohanz (late)

MKG the the number two pick in the NBA draft landed in kohanz's lap at number four. Although he is rough MGK is high energy and should see plenty of minutes early. That should translate into solid contributions across the board. Like insfo, Kohanz skipped his second round pick. Grade B+

5. Thomas Robinson -- skai
23. Lamar Odom - skai (from alcig)

Skai grabbed polished big man Thomas Robinson with the fifth pick. Robinson should be another starter and contribute immediately with rebounds, put back and fg%. Solid pick.

With his second round pick Skai followed Cfan's lead (see below) and went with a "proven" veteran who needs to prove last season was a result of environment and not ability. At any rate he will be a backup but if he has a good attitude he could see decent minutes.
Grade B-

6. Andre Drummond -- hippos
20. Jared Sullinger -- hippos

TKUnit was the first manager to make a bold move. Drummond has unique athleticism. He should develop into a rebounding monster. This is very much a high risk high reward pick but at #6 is it that high of a risk?

With his second round pick Tkunit selected "lottery talent" Jared Sullinger. Sullinger, a rebounding machine, could see decent minutes on a Boston Celtics team that is one of the worst at clearing the glass.
Drummond may prove to be the steal of the draft. Grade A.

7. Harrison Barnes -- jfrost
16. Royce White -- jfrost
(Edit 10/16/12 to include trade)
Harrison Barnes who at one point was the topped ranked prospect in this draft fell all the way to #7 where jfrost promptly scooped him up. Barnes should contribute across the board. He may not turn out to be the superstar he once was projected to be but should be a solid mid lottery pick.

Jfrost gets a boast to his grade because of the trade he made. He dropped from the second slot to the seventh pick and was still able to pick a very attractive player. In the process he picked up a highly regarded and established but still young center in Brook Lopez.

JFrost used his second round pick on the enigma Royce White. White had very fantasy friendly numbers while in college. If he duplicated that in the NBA he will be a steal. However, he is more likely another Julian Wright. Grade A-

8. Jeremy Lamb -- theman
12. Terrence Ross -- theman
13. Terrence Jones -- theman

theman traded down for #5 to #8 and still got the player targetted. Lamb, like Barnes was at one time considered a top pick candidate. Lamb is athletic with a good stroke and long arms. And (temporarily) stuck behind Kevin Martin.

Terrence Ross went higher than expected in the NBA draft but about right in the FFDL draft. The only Wesley Matthews filling the possition The man needed a shooting guard and drafted two of them. Both can shoot and defend which should lead to long NBA careeers.

There seemed to be a 12 obvious picks in this draft. After which things became a little more of a crap shoot. With no obvious pick at #13 the man selected athltic and versitile Terrence Jones. Jones can play either forward position but his NBA team has plenty of those.

The man filled a need with two plays and got a beast of an athelete but may have traded out of a chance to select the steal of the draft. Grade C.

9. Dion Waiters -- east*
27. late--east
Team East received a nice gift with the #4 pick in the NBA draft falling all the way to #9. However, most analysts thought four was a little high so perhaps east mearily got good value and not a steal. East has one of the most stacked teams in the league with little weakness so any pick her wasn't likely to make much of a difference. Grade C+

10. Meyers Leonard -- hamncheese
24. late-- hamncheese
With Drummond off the board Ham selected the big man out of Illinois. It is widely assumed Leonard will get plenty of playing time in Portland. This should make Leonard a solid pick however, with six Center elligible players already on his roster one wonders if a deeper hole existed.
Grade C

14. John Henson -- floppymoose
28. Bryon Mullens -- floppymoose

As previously mentioned this draft seemed to be 12 deep with "sure things" so once the defending champion got to pick at fourteen it became a little more of a crap shot. As they say if your are going to make a mistake make a big mistake. So, Floppymoose took raw big man John Henson. He will have plenty of competition in Milwaukee but could carve out a role for himself.

Former member of The Team and current Charlotte Bobcat Bryon Mullens was floppy's second round selection and earns this years title of Mr. Irrelevent. Mullens it the Bobcats most talented big man but the team is determine to develop Bismack Biyombo. Still Mullens should see desent minute.
Grade C.

--------------------------------

17. Mo Harkless -- stick
19. Perry Jones III -- stick
Stick with only two late picks managed to haul in four promising young prospects. First he moved down 6 places in the draft an in so doing acquired Houston starting PF Pat Patterson and Bucks SF Tobias Harris. Then in the draft he selected two raw and athletic forwards in Mo Harkless and Perry Jones. Jones is unlikely to start but could see desent minutes even on the defending Western Conference Champions. Harkless appears to be the Small Forward of the future in Orlando so should see plenty of minutes as well. Grade A.

21. Glen Davis - CFan21 (from oldno7)
22. Brandon Roy - CFan21
Cfan went the none traditional route, avoided the rookies and selected two proven veterans. Davis and Roy should start for their respective teams and see plenty of minutes. Roy is a high risk high reward pick. If he can stay healthy and return to his old form he will be a top 50 player. But how long can he play with no knee cartaliage? Grade B+

No Picks - Alcig
Alcig had no picks in this year's draft. However, on of those players acquire via trade was Tony Parker. Parker has been quite reliable and should be better than most if not all rookies this season. Grade B.
stick
RealGM
And1: 68

Post#1086 » by stick » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:15 am

Nice grade.
Definitely a A man
stick
RealGM
And1: 68

Post#1087 » by stick » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 am

BTW can we add/drop in Y! if we want to?
theman
RealGM

Post#1088 » by theman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 am

Once Sly officially declares the draft over.
east
Veteran
And1: 6
Location: Bklyn Heights, waiting for the Knicks to get good...

Post#1089 » by east » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Love the Draft grades the man. I'm currently dealing with a family emergency so I forfeit my 2nd round pick. Sorry for the holdup!
theman
RealGM

Post#1090 » by theman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Hope all is well.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1091 » by floppymoose » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 pm

theman wrote:Former member of The Team and current Charlotte Bobcat Bryon Mullens was floppy's second round selection and earns this years title of Mr. Irrelevent. Mullens it the Bobcats most talented big man but the team is determine to develop Bismack Biyombo.

Bismack is going to play C. Mullens is going to play PF. They compliment each other.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2012101130
sly
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1092 » by sly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 am

FA is now open.
sly
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1093 » by sly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:17 am

Pretty fair rankings, IMO... good job, theman. It's always interesting to see how the rookies translate into fantasy NBA talent. Typically, they're not very good... only a select few add immediate value. But after a few years, they really start to solidify. You can sometimes find some pretty nice young talent on the FA wire in the season if you're looking to rebuild. I bet a lot of these guys will head there just because they're waste space for those making that playoff push.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1094 » by hamncheese » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:22 pm

So it looks like I lied. I'm dropping Leonard in my trade with Insfo. Young guy loses out to the vets. I'm sure Leonard will be picked up off waivers. He's a good prospect but I think I can win now even though both Brand and AK are injury risks.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1095 » by floppymoose » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:22 am

What trade? Where do I find this trade?
hamncheese
Assistant Coach

Post#1096 » by hamncheese » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:43 pm

floppymoose wrote:What trade? Where do I find this trade?

Yahoo. Pending trade: Dorell Wright for Brand/Kirilenko, dropping Leonard.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#1097 » by tkunit » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:15 pm

That trade looks bad with Dirk out now.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach

Post#1098 » by hamncheese » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:37 pm

tkunit wrote:That trade looks bad with Dirk out now.

though Wright has looked really good in the preseaon, though it is the preseaon... the trade was done pre-Dirk's surgery
theman
RealGM

Post#1099 » by theman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

hamncheese wrote:So it looks like I lied. I'm dropping Leonard in my trade with Insfo. Young guy loses out to the vets. I'm sure Leonard will be picked up off waivers. He's a good prospect but I think I can win now even though both Brand and AK are injury risks.

I wonder who will be fool enough to pick him up. :oops:
theman
RealGM

Post#1100 » by theman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm

hamncheese wrote:
tkunit wrote:That trade looks bad with Dirk out now.

though Wright has looked really good in the preseaon, though it is the preseaon... the trade was done pre-Dirk's surgery

I imagine the trade was made more to get younger than to upgrade talent. Brand and AK are both winding down their careers but should have a year or two left.

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues