FFL 2014-2015 - Season under way

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Re: FFL 2014-2015 - Season under way 

Post#1201 » by Woody Allen » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:35 pm

jfrost wrote:So, my deal is looking pretty good this week ;)

The point is you could have gotten more for Cousins at that time.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#1202 » by floppymoose » Mon Dec 1, 2014 2:44 am

ok i'm gonna pull a fran and pimp my team while it's hot. I don't think Ive ever been at the top of the standings before so this might be my only chance. :-P

Thoughts: I gave a lot of value to get Curry. I believe that the trade was very close to break even on theoretical value. With no 2nd or 3rd round pick I had to really be on fire in the early mid rounds in order to do well. Fortunately that happened (at least so far).

Love has not been a good value so far but what he lacks there he compensates for a bit on fit. And he is showing signs of figuring out how to fit in CLE. I don't think he'll be top 10 on the year but I could see him inching up some from where he is.

After that it's the 4 core members of the team after Curry/Love: Morris/Butler/Chalmers/Green. I was really happy that all 4 of these players were on the board when I picked. I got lucky with Green's early season minutes (Lee out), but aside from that these players are all doing what I expected and are the reason the team isn't named "Curry,Love,and no one".

Swaggy P: his avg season value is only right around his draft pick, and his real value has been much lower because he's been out. If he doesn't pick it up he'll be a bad pick.

KJ: OPW man... Other People's Wisdom. I had never heard of him before the draft. I only picked him because he was popping up on other draft boards from people whose opinions I respect, and because the talk was he had a starting spot. He's not a perfect fit as some of his value is in blocks. But I can always trade him for a better fit. So far I like him as he is. I don't like to totally tank a category, and I'm about to pick up a 2nd win in blocks already, so it's nice to have him to have a chance at an extra category against other poor block teams. And anyone who gets 1 three, 1 assist, and 1 steal is a useful scrub on my team.

Amare: Can he stay healthy? He's doing slightly better than I expected. If he hangs in there he'll be a nice pick.

Take out the trash! The next 4 picks were garbage. Blatche was obviously a chance I took that didn't pan out. Mack and Tolliver were guys I knew I would likely drop. I only took them because they've shown in the past they can put up some numbers that fit my team if they get opportunity. But they didn't get a friendly injury in front of them in the early going so out they go. Anyone else would have cut Nate. I'm just holding him because I sort of believe in him and so far I can afford to be patient. He'll probably hit the wire after the all star break if he doesn't ever get more minutes.

Mo Buckets! I got some fortunate clarity here when reports came out about Ezili not being fully healed. There is always opportunity for a backup C on a Bogut squad, even if he doesn't get hurt. I was all set to take Festus and then the injury reports shifted me to Speights. It's not often you get a 114 rank at pick 274. He's really helped me in the % cats and scoring.

The free agents...
I'm really not sure why Lavoy Allen was there on the wire. The Pacers were a mess and he had already put up numbers worthy of being owned when he got minutes in PHI. I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts. Arthur is a player I've always liked a bit. His career got derailed some by injury but I think he's the kind of guy who is going to bounce around the league for a long time. Someone will always find a use for him when he's healthy. Another 1 3pt, 1 assist, 1 steal guy. Baynes is just a live body. Unless I uncover a gem somewhere I'll be swapping players through that slot all year.

Let's get some more pimp yo team posts going...
writersblock
General Manager
And1: 61

Post#1203 » by writersblock » Mon Dec 1, 2014 12:31 pm

Ok, I'll bite...
Following in Floppy's Footsteps, I'll pimp my team too...if for no other reason that I'm not in 19th, as my team was predicted to be. In fact, after a very slow start, my team is starting to come on strong, just as I thought it would. Only two weeks ago I was in 19th, and now I'm in 9th with 1 game outside of the playoff bracket after beating JFrost and Gokce. And yes, I know that Gokce's team has been decimated by injuries...but I'll take it since I rarely beat Gokce.

My first half draft guys:
Two major blunders in taking Dragic and Ryno with my first two picks. I should have listened to reason and kept Curry, but the deal was too good to pass up on, and had I done a better job picking, it would've been an easy win. As it stands, Curry for Kobe and Ryno is a good enough deal as Ryno has a top 10 worthy game every couple of games and Kobe has been on fire, which brings me to my next point. The Black Mamba! I have to gloat. I knew he would bring it this year. He's going out like I expected an uber-competitive guy who's missed the last year of basketball to do. Coming off a triple double last night, he's been my lifeblood. And yet, he was still available in the late 30s.

The Other Guys
The rest of my team is a mixed bag of guys who do amazingly one night, then fizz out the next. I'm still waiting for guys like Lance and Jonas to put together more than 2 good games in a row. Same with Elfrid and Dragic. In fact, same with Jurassic Parker too. In fact, if these guys start producing more consistently, I might actually have a chance to compete. Tony Allen has been more than what I expected--I figured he'd get me about 1-2 steals and that's it. He's been great so far. Two other guys I'm waiting on to contribute are Ed Davis and Marcus Thornton. I just believe that they'll pick it up at some point, here's hoping I'm right.

The Waiver Guys Keeping me Afloat
Every year I wish I would just stick with the team I drafted, but I inevitably drop guys and trade guys I shouldn't have, which leads me to looking for gold on the waiver wire. I've gotten that in two of my nuggets: Sloan and Morrow. I'm quite shocked Morrow was on the waiver wire. He's already doing amazingly filling in for KD, but given his 25 minute range he's getting, I can see him carrying on a serviceable amount even after KD gets back. Sloan has also done amazingly well, and when Hill gets back, I can see him still returning top 150 value because as good as Hill is, he's still slow and more of an SG than a PG.

My Bonehead Brain Scratchers
I believe every gloating session should feature a little humble pie. First, I shouldn't be doing this good, especially after dropping Solomon Hill, Donut Motiejunas and Tiago Splitter. Yet, every year I break my personal rule: Never, Ever Believe Preseason Numbers. Solomon Hill was a dead man walking in the preseason, so was Donut, and Tiago was injured. I can only imagine how much better I might be doing.

Of course, all this being said, I'll probably end up dropping or trading half my team by Christmas. In fact, Floppy, I'll take KJ off your hands.
Globe-trotting and shenaniganizing, traveling the world and taking names...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6CtlAxAIaA_NQBQCuz3q1w?sub_confirmation=1
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 249

Post#1204 » by Curtis Lemansky » Mon Dec 1, 2014 10:11 pm

George, what's Kobe's per game rank right now? I can only see top-40 and he is not in. So I doubt he was a big steal at 34.
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1205 » by floppymoose » Mon Dec 1, 2014 11:43 pm

I don't have bballmonster this year, but on yahoo Kobe is #68 on season avg.
stick
RealGM
And1: 68

Post#1206 » by stick » Tue Dec 2, 2014 12:26 am

somebody do me
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1207 » by floppymoose » Tue Dec 2, 2014 1:39 am

that's what she said.

my idea was for you to write up your own team, how players were dong compared to where you drafted them, and maybe backfill some info on your tought process when you drafted and/or traded players, and what kind of team you were trying to build... yada yada.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1208 » by hamncheese » Tue Dec 2, 2014 2:00 am

Curtis Lemansky wrote:George, what's Kobe's per game rank right now? I can only see top-40 and he is not in. So I doubt he was a big steal at 34.

Kobe is currently ranked 70 on bbm per game. His fg% (.392) and TOs (2.9) are knocking down his value. He would be great for a punt fg% build.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
writersblock
General Manager

Post#1209 » by writersblock » Tue Dec 2, 2014 2:37 pm

Curtis Lemansky wrote:George, what's Kobe's per game rank right now? I can only see top-40 and he is not in. So I doubt he was a big steal at 34.

SMH.

Ratings-Shmatings...bottom-line he's one of the primary reasons I'm winning.

Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#1210 » by Woody Allen » Tue Dec 2, 2014 9:35 pm

I have lost so many categories by a hair to this point that I'm almost find it hard to get excited to see Durant will finally be in uniform.
stick
RealGM
And1: 68

Post#1211 » by stick » Wed Dec 3, 2014 11:49 am

I dont want to do myself
bww78
RealGM
And1: 13

Post#1212 » by bww78 » Thu Dec 4, 2014 6:25 pm

The No.1 and No.3 ranked teams are locked in an epic battle this week. Good luck Floppy!

...you're going to need it :)
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1213 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 4, 2014 10:54 pm

Your team is over-perfoming this week on the % cats, and mine is under-performing. That's the main storyline so far in our matchup.
bww78
RealGM

Post#1214 » by bww78 » Sat Dec 6, 2014 1:16 am

floppymoose wrote:Your team is over-perfoming this week on the % cats, and mine is under-performing. That's the main storyline so far in our matchup.

That's not much of a story. We're split 1-1 in the percentages.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1215 » by floppymoose » Sat Dec 6, 2014 7:26 am

Well, it was 2-0 your favor at the time I wrote it. You should like even the 1-1 split. Your ft% is way over your norm.
bww78
RealGM

Post#1216 » by bww78 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:41 pm

Good game Floppster. Hopefully I'll see you in the playoffs!
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#1217 » by tkunit » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:35 pm

I did not see that coming, looks like I moved on from Monroe a week to early.
sly
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 46

Post#1218 » by sly » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:32 am

tkunit wrote:I did not see that coming, looks like I moved on from Monroe a week to early.

Yeah, I caught a nice break there. Was banking on him being traded but this might work. I still like Frye's fantasy game and drafted him on most rosters. But, admittedly, he hasn't been as good as I had hoped either.
writersblock
General Manager

Post#1219 » by writersblock » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:47 pm

We're a talkative bunch aren't we?

So, yeah, what a year for me. Jabari out for the year. Stephenson on a REALLY extended vacation. Kobe taking DNPs like he's working part time. And yet I'm still getting wins. Makes me think I'd be in the hunt without the extended injuries. Still, I'm barely staying afloat, so if anyone wants Kobe or Lance for cheap, hit me up with an offer.

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1220 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:03 pm

This was kinda what I expected from Amare. A good start and then out indefinitely. I wish they would just announce they were shutting him down for the season.

Meanwhile, #1 v #2 this week!

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues