ATNE Tournament, Round 1: 7.RSCD3_v. 10. lilroddy

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

ATNE Tournament, Round 1: 7.RSCD3_v. 10. lilroddy 

Post#1 » by JeepCSC » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:40 pm

All-Time Non-Elite Tournament. Write-ups to follow.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Re: ATNE Tournament, Round 1: 7.RSCD3_v. 10. lilroddy 

Post#2 » by Owly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Team Drafts
Team Seed Pick Team Seed Pick
RSCD3_ 7 14 lilroddyb 10 11
Dwight Howard 1 14 Anthony Davis 1 11
Reggie Miller 2 19 Penny Hardaway 2 22
Paul Pierce 3 46 Shawn Marion 3 43
Mark Price 4 51 Mitch Richmond 4 54
Chris Bosh 5 78 Brandon Roy 5 75
Serge Ibaka 6 83 Marc Gasol 6 86
Gilbert Arenas 7 110 Elton Brand 7 107
Stan Van Gundy 8 115 Vlade Divac 8 118
Kyle Korver 9 142 Sam Cassell 9 139
Brad Miller 10 147 Robert Horry 10 150
Gordon Hayward 11 174 Rudy Tomjanovich 11 171

General/for seeding writeups
RSCD3_
Dwight Howard
Chris Bosh
Paul Pierce
Reggie Miller
Mark Price

Brad Miller
Serge Ibaka
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Korver
Gilbert Arenas

Coach: Stan Van Gundy
???

lilroddyb
Marc Gasol
Anthony Davis
Shawn Marion
Mitch Richmond
Penny Hardaway

Vlade Divac
Elton Brand
Robert Horry
Brandon Roy
Sam Cassell

Coach: Rudy Tomjanovich
Spoiler:
lilroddyb wrote:Sorry guys for late response

Team

Marc Gasol / Vlade Divac
Anthony Davis / Elton Brand
Shawn Marion / Robert Horry
Mitch Richmond / Brandon Roy
Anfernee Hardaway / Sam Casell

Offense:
Penny, Mitch and Anthony will be the main scorers and they can create for themselves. Brandon Roy and Elton Brand will be the sixth/ seventh man off the bench and Horry and Cassell spacing the floor with their clutch shoots. Marc and Vlade will be in the same role: spacing the floor and passing the ball.

the offense will be balanced. With Anfernee at pointguard he has lots of options: slashing and 3pt shooting in Mitch Richmond ( who michael jordan has said was one of the most difficult to defend), shawn Marion spaces the floor a bit and good with his floaters, putbacks and lops. Anthony Davis is an excellent scorer and scores very efficiently, through putpacks, midrange shot and he can create for himself. Then Marc Gasol spreads the floor and is a great passer

Modern basketball is all about spacing. If you lack spacing it can be easy to defend so I tried to have at least decent shooters at every position

Spacing 3pt %: penny is about 36 - 40 %, mitch richmond is around 40 % Shawn Marion is decent, in 2005 he was actually shooting a little bit over 40% in the playoffs, So all of them are good/decent 3pt shooters. Sam Cassell and Robert Horry are good 3pt shooters coming of the bench.

Everyone else on this team are good midrange shooters.

Defense:
The team has an excellent length and few players who can guard different positions so this team should be good at playing zone defense.

Marc Gasol is a rimprotector and was a defensive player of the year.

Then I have Versatile defenders who can guard few positions
Anthony Davis is great shotblocker and quick enough to guard several postitions for short stretches.
Shawn Marion is really strong and long, can guard several positions. From pointguards to power forwards
Anfernee Hardaway is big for a pointguard he is maybe not the best defender but so he should be able to guard from pointguards to sf

Mitch Richmond is a decent defender.

the bench also has some solid defenders like Vlade Divac who has excellent rapm stats and Elton Brand

Penny and Anthony are both low on turnovers so it should help be reducing the fastbreak points from my opponents

I might edit this later.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#3 » by trex_8063 » Mon May 4, 2015 1:49 am

Well, here are the good points I see in RSCD3_'s team:
1) I think he probably has the best 3pt shooting of any team in this tournament. Between Price, Miller, Pierce, Korver, Arenas.......my goodness.
2) Good (though def not the best) defensive frontcourt: Howard's a solid rim protector, decent on the pnr, and elite on the defensive glass. Bosh in the years specified is a pretty solid low post defender and a very good pnr defender; he's NOT, however, a relevant shot-blocker and somewhat suspect on the defensive boards. Pierce is a solid, though not elite, defender at the SF. Off bench, Miller is not a shot-blocker at all; however, he is a good low-post defender and a reasonably solid pnr defender, as well as a solid rebounder. Ibaka is not (imo) much of a low-post defender, is at best slightly above average as a pnr defender; however, he's an elite level shot-blocker on the help D, pretty good rebounder, too. So depending on how he handles his line-ups, he should have a pretty solid defensive frontcourt.

Neutral points for his team:
1) Isolation scoring: his best isolation scorers are Pierce and Arenas; after that perhaps Bosh or Howard. Now if this was a regular any given season league, obviously you'd be thrilled to have isolation scorers of this caliber. But this tournament is an entire league of largely all-time greats; by comparison, his isolation scoring is fairly middle of the pack.
2) Play-making. His best passer/playmaker is Price, who is neither bad nor great relative to the competition at PG in this tournament. He's got good playmaking at the SF position, and his reserve center is a good passer. But both his SG's, both his PF's, and his starting C are all at best mediocre passers for their positions. For a team that presumably wants to rely heavily on ball-movement and 3-pt shooting (that's what I have to assume, based on the shooters assembled, and he hasn't written up to tell me otherwise), idk that he's got the adequate play-making and ball-movement roster for that strategy; especially since I'm not sure if we could declare anybody here an elite penetrator for a penetrate and kick.
Not saying he's set up poorly in this regard; but nor is he set up well, imo.

Problem points I see with RSCD3_'s team:
1) He's very likely got the worst defensive backcourt in the entire tournament: Price, Miller, Korver, Arenas.....these guys basically range from average to slightly below average, every single one of them. He literally doesn't have a single perimeter stopper in his roster. I see that as potentially problematic in a modern rule setting, where perimeter offensive stars are the order of the day, and particularly in this match-up where some of lilroddy's best scorers are at the PG and SG positions.
2) He might have the worst rebounding backcourt in the tournament, too.

Looking at lilroddy's team, one tricky thing is to not get too excited (after the season he had) by the presence of Anthony Davis. Because we again must bear in mind that this is to be an average a 3-year period (that is: we're looking at an average of '13-present AD). Still, that's a guy that's giving >31 pts/100 poss at 58% ts, while giving good defense, very good rebounding, and turning the ball over very little.

Overall, I like the balance on lilroddy's team.
I wouldn't say he's got better isolation scorers, but he seems to have more of them, and he has them at more positions: Richmond at his peak is roughly of the same caliber as Pierce or Arenas, and frankly so is Penny in the period specified. Plus he's then got the aforementioned Davis, Elton Brand, and Brandon Roy.

With Gasol, Davis, Marion, and Divac coming off the bench, his defensive frontcourt is every bit as solid as RSCD3_'s, imo. And his backcourt is probably slightly better defensively, with the versatility of Penny, and Richmond who---while not elite---is likely a better perimeter defender than any backcourt player that RSCD3 has.

The post passing lilroddy has is superior to RSCD3's, for sure.

RSCD3 has got the somewhat better rebounding group of PF/C's; but this is pretty well balanced out by lilroddy's (much) better rebounding backcourt, as well as having Shawn Marion as one of his SF's (peak Marion is a near GOAT-level rebounder for a combo forward). In fact, those things perhaps tip the balance back in lilroddy's favor, albeit by a pretty negligible amount.

This is a pretty close one for me, but I'm going to vote for a small "upset" and vote: Team lilroddy.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#4 » by Warspite » Mon May 4, 2015 9:42 am

Penny Mitch and Roy is IMHO a very underrated 3 man rotation and Price/Miller don't play any defense. I think both frontcourts are pretty mediocre and both will be in foul trouble and lackluster on offense. I just cant find RSCD3s huge adv that makes up for Penny abusing Price or Mitch/Roy lighting up Reggie. Pierce vs Marion is not it.

Vote Lilroddy
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#5 » by trex_8063 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:02 am

Thru post 4:

RSCD3_ (0)

lilroddy (2) - trex_8063, Warspite
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues