Track & Field

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Re: Track & Field 

Post#21 » by ROballer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 pm

I don't believe it until I actually see that race

Bolt suggested in the past that competing in the long jump or 400 m is on his mind and that he'll entertain at least one of those events but chickened out and his words never became real

Although it's only charity now,a totally different thing,I still want to see that race before I believe anything that comes out of his mouth

LE after reading the whole article:

Four years ago Ethiopian distance-running great Kenenisa Bekele threw down a similar challenge to Bolt to race him over 600m or 800m. Bolt’s reaction was initially positive but the race never materialised.

My point exactly...
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#22 » by Hero » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:46 am

Yohan Blake wasn't caught doping? Wasn't he out with an injury?

I disagree with Bolt being dirty. He has always run fast. I remember reading about him when he was 15 or 16. There are some really amazing sprinters who have always tested clean. Why can't Bolt be one of them?

Maurice Greene
Michael Johnson
Bolt
ROballer
General Manager

Post#23 » by ROballer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:25 pm

4 jamaicans in the 100 m final

All 8 guys that qualified ran under 10.00 in the semis....gonna be a fast race in the final

Hero
RealGM

Post#24 » by Hero » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm going with

1. Bolt 9.55
2. Gatlin 9.83
3. Ashmeade 9.87
ROballer
General Manager

Post#25 » by ROballer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:03 pm

9.55 my ass :lol:

Not if he continues to chicken out at the start....dude's scared as hell to not be DQ'ed again
He'll still win though....only Gay could have had a puncher's chance

Hero
RealGM

Post#26 » by Hero » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Imagine if Blake wasn't injured. Jamaica is doing so well now. Really glad to see. Hope they're all clean. So many empty seats. How sad

I was way off. Much slower than I expected. 9.77 is still good obviously. The rain must affected them a fair bit?
ROballer
General Manager

Post#27 » by ROballer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:51 am

Maybe a bit but not much....the wind was a -0.1 as well
If the wind was a + 1 or so and it didn't rain,maybe he could have gone 9.7,but not better

EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#28 » by EArl » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am

Not photoshopped. Pretty cool.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Hero
RealGM

Post#29 » by Hero » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 am

Shelly Ann Fraser has done really well. She has got to be one of the best female sprinters ever at this point? 2 Olympic golds in the 100m and then the world championship golds as well.

I think her 10.70pb is like 4th or 5th best time ever too. I wonder when someone is gonna beat that world record. Seems untouchable for a while yet. Got serious suspicions about that.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#30 » by Point forward » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:22 pm

EArl wrote:Not photoshopped. Pretty cool.

Seriously, one of the best t&f pix of the year :o
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,391

Post#31 » by fleet » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Point forward wrote:
EArl wrote:Not photoshopped. Pretty cool.

Seriously, one of the best t&f pix of the year :o

Iconic really. One the greatest Sports pix in history. That will be in every book, movie, and video of his life. And Sports magazines.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
EArl
RealGM

Post#32 » by EArl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 am

completely forgot about this thread. Ive been busy so havent watched anything recently.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Pablo Novi
Senior
And1: 233

I've been a huge fan of T&F for 56 years 

Post#33 » by Pablo Novi » Wed Jul 6, 2016 2:01 am

No posts in 2.4 years, wow.

I've been a huge fan of T&F since 1960, that's 56 years.
My favorite has been & still is the marathon (assuming we include it loosely within T&F. It blows me away how fast the average mile is rule in a 26.21875 mile race (both by the men and by Paula Radcliffe - all out there by herself).

I hitch-hiked up to Boston one year and unofficially ran the Boston Marathon - that was the year that Rosie Ruiz cheated her way into temporarily claiming the Women's Marathon victory - I saw her afterwards, didn't look like she could run even 1 mile (which is about all the running she actually did - took public transportation the rest of the time!) My favorite memories from that race were:
a) Taking a picture of eventual winner Boston Bill Rodgers at the start;
b) Lining up in last place and passing 2,000 very serious runners.
N.B. There were other years when I ran marathon times good enough to qualify for Boston; but I couldn't get to the race those years.

btw, I've run, in training, over the last 38 years, more miles (mostly hilly & even mountainous) than the Earth-Moon distance; 262,220+ miles. That's the equivalent of 10,000 separate marathons - pretty staggering to think about. I started running in 1978. I've run 10,000 miles during four separate years (200 miles a week or 28.5 miles a day for 50 weeks with two weeks off.)

My longest run by time, ever, was 4 years ago as a 62 year old - I ran 62 MOUNTAINOUS kilometers as a crazy birthday present to myself; in 7 hours! My longest run by distance was 48 miles quite a few years ago. My longest week was the week I turned 43; I ran 301 miles that week, or 43 miles each day; including a 3-hour marathon within the last 43-miler.

While I "mastered" stamina / long-distance; I've never had a lick of real speed. My best high school mile was 6:04 (don't laugh !). My all-time best mile was 5:18, which I did back in 1981 as the 5th (uphill) mile in my fastest marathon (2:39:04 - a 6:04 / mile pace - I was aiming for 6min/mile; but the day turned into a terribly hot day to run a marathon &, relatively speaking, I "fell apart" in the high heat on the rolling slightly-uphill last 10K (along Friars Road heading to San Diego's stadium). I finished in a virtual dead heat for places 13-16; and was credited with 16th. btw, that 5th mile was NOT what I planned at all; my plan was to race relatively easy for the first 5 miles; but I "lost" a minute going up the Coronado Bridge & temporarily "panicked". That fast mile (fast for me anyway) did me no good a couple of hours later in the last stages of the race!

My fastest 1/4 mile ever, was in 66 seconds - clearly super-slow compared to what I accomplished in the very-long distances. (I didn't average that much slower per 1/4 mile in my fastest half-marathon - 71 minutes or 82 sec per 1/4 mile (I finished 51st out of several thousands)). That race was the 1981 Independence Day Coronado Half-Marathon. A few "funny" things happened in that race:
a) I had the wild-dream of finishing 50th; but I was in 350th place at the mile-marker!

b) I counted the runners I passed, and I was closing in on 50th place; but he was too far ahead to run down at the end;

c) Actually, I "picked up" a guy that was falling apart at about 8.6 miles and carried him in to the finish. Because I missed counting someone who must have dropped out of the race; he & I were actually tied for 50th place as we approached the finish line. I let him finish a half a step ahead of me - and it turned out he finished in 50th place - and got his name everywhere. My name, in 51st place, appeared nowhere (except in the official race results where came out decidedly later on) - all my friends asked me if I had run in the race.

d) I was in such monster shape, that, after the race, while waiting for the awards ceremony, I ran 40 laps of the track there (10 additional miles).

What's my excuse for such a long post that's NOT about any nationally or internationally known T&F athletes?

Seeing as this is one of my first 20 posts in this forum; please consider this my introductory one. lol
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Re: RE: I've been a huge fan of T&F for 56 years 

Post#34 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:15 am

Pablo Novi wrote:No posts in 2.4 years, wow.

My favorite has been & still is the marathon (assuming we include it loosely within T&F. It blows me away how fast the average mile is rule in a 26.21875 mile race (both by the men and by Paula Radcliffe - all out there by herself).

I hitch-hiked up to Boston one year and unofficially ran the Boston Marathon - that was the year that Rosie Ruiz cheated her way into temporarily claiming the Women's Marathon victory - I saw her afterwards, didn't look like she could run even 1 mile (which is about all the running she actually did - took public transportation the rest of the time!) My favorite memories from that race were:
N.B. There were other years when I ran marathon times good enough to qualify for Boston; but I couldn't get to the race those years.

btw, I've run, in training, over the last 38 years, more miles (mostly hilly & even mountainous) than the Earth-Moon distance; 262,220+ miles. That's the equivalent of 10,000 separate marathons - pretty staggering to think about. I started running in 1978. I've run 10,000 miles during four separate years (200 miles a week or 28.5 miles a day for 50 weeks with two weeks off.)

My longest run by time, ever, was 4 years ago as a 62 year old - I ran 62 MOUNTAINOUS kilometers as a crazy birthday present to myself; in 7 hours! My longest run by distance was 48 miles quite a few years ago. My longest week was the week I turned 43; I ran 301 miles that week, or 43 miles each day; including a 3-hour marathon within the last 43-miler.

While I "mastered" stamina / long-distance; I've never had a lick of real speed. My best high school mile was 6:04 (don't laugh !). My all-time best mile was 5:18, which I did back in 1981 as the 5th (uphill) mile in my fastest marathon (2:39:04 - a 6:04 / mile pace - I was aiming for 6min/mile; but the day turned into a terribly hot day to run a marathon &, relatively speaking, I "fell apart" in the high heat on the rolling slightly-uphill last 10K (along Friars Road heading to San Diego's stadium). I finished in a virtual dead heat for places 13-16; and was credited with 16th. btw, that 5th mile was NOT what I planned at all; my plan was to race relatively easy for the first 5 miles; but I "lost" a minute going up the Coronado Bridge & temporarily "panicked". That fast mile (fast for me anyway) did me no good a couple of hours later in the last stages of the race!

My fastest 1/4 mile ever, was in 66 seconds - clearly super-slow compared to what I accomplished in the very-long distances. (I didn't average that much slower per 1/4 mile in my fastest half-marathon - 71 minutes or 82 sec per 1/4 mile (I finished 51st out of several thousands)). That race was the 1981 Independence Day Coronado Half-Marathon. A few "funny" things happened in that race:
a) I had the wild-dream of finishing 50th; but I was in 350th place at the mile-marker!

b) I counted the runners I passed, and I was closing in on 50th place; but he was too far ahead to run down at the end;

c) Actually, I "picked up" a guy that was falling apart at about 8.6 miles and carried him in to the finish. Because I missed counting someone who must have dropped out of the race; he & I were actually tied for 50th place as we approached the finish line. I let him finish a half a step ahead of me - and it turned out he finished in 50th place - and got his name everywhere. My name, in 51st place, appeared nowhere (except in the official race results where came out decidedly later on) - all my friends asked me if I had run in the race.

d) I was in such monster shape, that, after the race, while waiting for the awards ceremony, I ran 40 laps of the track there (10 additional miles).

What's my excuse for such a long post that's NOT about any nationally or internationally known T&F athletes?

Seeing as this is one of my first 20 posts in this forum; please consider this my introductory one. lol

Since we must be the only two track and field fans on realgm

Some questions about the games I have for you?

Biggest american medal surprise?
Biggest lack of american medal disappointment?

Most dominating men's performance?
Most dominating women's performance?

Sent from my SM-T550 using RealGM mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Pablo Novi
Senior

Re: RE: I've been a huge fan of T&F for 56 years 

Post#35 » by Pablo Novi » Fri Sep 9, 2016 8:08 pm

You ask:
"Some questions about the games I have for you?

Most dominating women's performance?"

I apologize but my memories of the Olympic Games is shot full of holes (and I haven't really concentrated my attention on the OGs.

Probably the ONE performance that stands out to me, was the: 5,000 10,000 Marathon Triple by Emil Zatopek
(I was too young to see it live; but later on I saw it a few times.)

My favorite OG moment was the FIRST Women's Marathon, 1984, won by Joan Benoit Samuelson. (She beat me in a marathon once - lol!)
Pablo

RSCD3_ wrote:
Pablo Novi wrote:No posts in 2.4 years, wow.

Since we must be the only two track and field fans on realgm

Some questions about the games I have for you?

Most dominating women's performance?

Sent from my SM-T550 using RealGM mobile app
EArl
RealGM

Post#36 » by EArl » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:02 am

I try to watch track, but don't have much time now a days. Did any of you do any events? I did track and cross country in high school and i casually did some meets in college.
Pablo Novi
Senior

I've Run The Equivalent Of 10,000 Marathons (Further Than The Moon) 

Post#37 » by Pablo Novi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Our high school team didn't have enough 2-milers; so I joined it. I don't remember if I did any training runs at all; but at my first race; I was far behind the rest of the field on the very first lap. iirc, I did 6:40 for the first mile. During the 2nd mile, the entire field lapped me while I fell apart; doing something like 8:30 - and it was painful both physically and especially emotionally.

I ran the two-mile in two more events; finished dead last both times and then quit. I was just too under-trained and too under-coached.

I didn't run again for 10+ years.

On Jan 01, 1978, I ran one mile (two laps of the local park). This is what I ran per year (after year #2, all training at 7:30/mi pace):

. # YEAR . Miles Mi/Day Mi/Week ....... HIGHLIGHTS: Racing &/Or Distances Run
. 1 1978 . 1,096 . 3 . ( 21 miles a week) 1st 10K: 8:30/mi; Last 10K: 7:00/mi; ................. 1st 1/2 Marathon: 7:30 pace
. 2 1979 . 3,653 10 . ( 70 miles a week) .. first Marathon: 3:17:30 (7:32/mi). ...................... 1/2 Marathon: 7:00 pace
. 3 1980 . 5,479 15 . (105 miles a week) Boston Maraton: 3:03:32 (7:00/mi) (I didn't qualify but did run it that yr)
. 4 1981 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week) ... PR Marathon: 2:39:03 (6:03.9/mi; PR Mile=5:18) PR 1/2 Marathon: 5:30 pace
. 5 1982 10,000 27.4 (200 miles a week X 50 weeks)
. 6 1983 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
. 7 1984 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
. 8 1985 10,000 27.4 (200 miles a week X 50 weeks) 50,000+ TOTAL MILES (52,142 miles)
. 9 1986 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
10 1987 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
11 1988 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
12 1989 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week) 40th birthday
13 1990 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
14 1991 10,000 27.4 (200 miles a week X 50 weeks) 301 miles in one week (43 mi/day for 1 week for my 43rd birthday)
15 1992 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week) 100,000+ TOTAL MILES (107,792 miles)
16 1993 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
17 1994 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
18 1995 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
19 1996 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week) LONGEST RUN BY DISTANCE: 48 miles on 48th birthday (6 hours)
20 1997 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
21 1998 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week) 150,000+ TOTAL MILES (153,442 miles)
22 1999 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week) 50th birthday
23 2000 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
24 2001 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
25 2002 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
26 2003 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
27 2004 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
28 2005 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week) 200,000+ TOTAL MILES (204,577 miles)
29 2006 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
30 2007 . 7,305 20 . (140 miles a week)
31 2008 . 6,940 19 . (133 miles a week)
32 2009 . 6,575 18 . (126 miles a week) 60th birthday
33 2010 . 6,209 17 . (119 miles a week)
34 2011 10,000 27.4 (200 miles a week X 50 weeks) 62 K (7 HOURS=LONGEST) at 10,000 feet average on my 62nd birthday
35 2012 . 5,844 16 . (112 miles a week) 250,000+ TOTAL MILES (254,755 miles)
36 2013 . 5,479 15 . (105 miles a week)
37 2014 . 5,114 14 . ( 98 miles a week) 265,347 MILES = equivalent of 10,000 Marathons X 26.21875 miles each

ALL 37 Years: 19.63 miles / day average (Long-Distance, Medium-Paced Running)
Last 34 Years: 20.54 miles / day average

Return to General Other Sports Talk