Is Tiger Woods considered disgraced?

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Re: OT: Is Tiger Woods considered disgraced? 

Post#41 » by bballsparkin » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:58 pm

Young_Buc wrote:Tiger was specifically targeted by the "old boys club" in professional golf. People like Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb have done FAR FAR worse things than Tiger and they are icons in their sports. The fact that he is held to this obscure standard is clear.

I'm not sure it was by the "old boys club" in golf that targeted him. But the media definitely targeted him. As if they didn't know he was fooling around previously. It all came out like one giant **** storm.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#42 » by hankscorpioLA » Mon Aug 4, 2014 6:04 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:Perspective? I dunno...you seem to have the hate on pretty hard for Tiger.

I mean...you have posted three times about his "failure" to catch Jack Niklaus, yet you haven't mentioned injuries once.

Well here is the full tally:

2002 - left knee ACL surgery
2007 - ruptures left knee ACL
2008 - left knee ACL surgery
2008 - two stress fractures in left tibia
2008 - reconstructive surgery on left knee ACL
2008 - ruptures achilles tendon in right leg
2010 - withdraws from TPC with neck pain
2010 - receives cortisone for right achilles
2011 - sprain of left knee MCL and achilles
2011 - misses US Open
2012 - injures left achilles
2013 - left elbow injury
2014 - surgery to repair a pinched back nerve
2014 - re-injures back

The first time Jack Niklaus had surgery was when he was 44.

I don't follow golf. But why the heck does Tiger have so many injuries? Yeesh. Over use? I guess I get the back issues. The one time I went golfing my back ached big time after.

Its hard to know for sure. It all started with his left knee. He had his first surgery on it in 2002 and then had to have major reconstructive surgery in 2008. Since coming back, his injuries have the appearance of being caused by biomechanical issues related to overcompensation. In particular, his next injury after the surgery was a rupture of his right achilles - which is something that you might expect to injury if you are compensating for a weak left knee. And from there the injuries are just all over the place.

Part of it may also be because Tiger is extremely muscular compared to other golfers, which may result in a loss of flexibility. He also has a very powerful and aggressive swing compared to other golfers. That doesn't help either. And finally, he is an extremely competitive person who perhaps may have tried to come back too soon from injuries or play when he shouldn't have. Certainly the 2008 US Open fits that description. He was in pain the whole time and then had to have major surgery afterwards. It stands to reason that he may have made that injury and its aftereffects worse by playing in that tournament.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
webc5
Senior
And1: 405

Post#43 » by webc5 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 6:06 pm

Needs more hookers.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#44 » by bballsparkin » Mon Aug 4, 2014 6:08 pm

^^Makes sense. "his next injury after the surgery was a rupture of his right achilles". Damn that sounds painful. Sounds like he was immensely tight. Tiger needs to take up yoga.
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#45 » by RaptorNews » Mon Aug 4, 2014 6:17 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Nonsense. He's a man's man. If anything, I like him more now.

Nothing says "being a man" like adultery? I think you've been watching Mad Men wrong.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#46 » by Jstock12 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 6:38 pm

RaptorNews wrote:

Nothing says "being a man" like adultery? I think you've been watching Mad Men wrong.

I think he's more humble now after losing all those endorsements. I can relate to him better.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#47 » by Mack11 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 7:16 pm

bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#48 » by bballsparkin » Mon Aug 4, 2014 7:26 pm

Hot damn! Is that real? ^^^Eerie.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,650

Post#49 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 4, 2014 7:44 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:Perspective? I dunno...you seem to have the hate on pretty hard for Tiger.

I mean...you have posted three times about his "failure" to catch Jack Niklaus, yet you haven't mentioned injuries once.

Well here is the full tally:

2002 - left knee ACL surgery
2007 - ruptures left knee ACL
2008 - left knee ACL surgery
2008 - two stress fractures in left tibia
2008 - reconstructive surgery on left knee ACL
2008 - ruptures achilles tendon in right leg
2010 - withdraws from TPC with neck pain
2010 - receives cortisone for right achilles
2011 - sprain of left knee MCL and achilles
2011 - misses US Open
2012 - injures left achilles
2013 - left elbow injury
2014 - surgery to repair a pinched back nerve
2014 - re-injures back

The first time Jack Niklaus had surgery was when he was 44.

I don't follow golf. But why the heck does Tiger have so many injuries? Yeesh. Over use? I guess I get the back issues. The one time I went golfing my back ached big time after.

Shagger's back. :D Years of overuse sounds about right. All the other ones, well, those take some weird kinky positions. Should have stretched first.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,885

Post#50 » by Tacoma » Mon Aug 4, 2014 8:14 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
RaptorNews wrote:

I think he's more humble now after losing all those endorsements. I can relate to him better.

Much like Lebron, Woods was spoiled with attention with people drooling over this greatness since he was a teenager. His huge ego was backed up with Championships so his self-centered attitude was condoned. Public adoration made him feel invincible which was acted out with daring sexual escapades. So while Woods still not humble by any stretch, he has, much to his chagrin, been humbled.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#51 » by Homer Jay » Mon Aug 4, 2014 8:40 pm

The difference in the treatment of Woods and Byrant is a reflection of the audiences for their respective sports. Kobe coming back and winning titles helped his image. Woods will have to win majors, several at that, to get back close to where he once. Seeing him post back injury I don't think he has it in him anymore. He needs to take a long time off and fully recuperate, but the PGA wants him at every event possible. Hard to rest when under that type of pressure, not to mention the couple of million a week he commands just for showing up.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#52 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:23 pm

Hot Water wrote:
You've completely lost me. Didn't you use John Daly - a man with his own addictions and substance abuse issues - as an example of someone who is truly disgraced?

And I was under the impression that disgraced basically meant to bring shame or dishonour upon. I don't think behaviour that is caused by impulses or addictions automatically gets absolved from this label.

John Daly never tried to correct his problem. It became public and he continued in his downward spiral. He represented the every man - sort of like Mr. Ford - but he turned his back on the people who supported him. Drinking while playing golf disrespects the game itself.

Disgrace - 1. loss of reputation or respect, especially as the result of a dishonorable action.

My argument is simply 1) he didn't lose on his reputation or respect. He's still one of the greatest golfers to play the game 2) him being horny is not necessarily a dishonorable action - questionable and stupid yes - especially since he owned up to it and has no instance since.

You don't like Tiger Woods which is fine. But I can't let you hear an alternative side because of it so our discussion will end.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#53 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:30 pm

mrsocko wrote:'He couild be referred to disgraced if the golf writers had any balls and wrote about his steroid abuse. He's been linked with docors involved wth steroid investigations and nobody gets into that. PGA is afriad to cook there golden goose so they try to cover this up. This more than the cheating makes him a dispicable human being

If he did take steroids then I agree that would be a disgrace. He cheated to get his competitive advantage.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#54 » by Throwback24 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:31 pm

He's a legend n my community.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#55 » by SharoneWright » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:36 pm

I wouldn't give him the time of day.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#56 » by will » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:46 pm

Tiger dat GOAT at the country club and away from it. Real talk.
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#57 » by m83588333 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:57 pm

Who takes steroids to play golf? The fact that he went to a clinic to treat a sex addiction instead of herpes makes him GOAT
Using Tapatalk
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,357

Post#58 » by tdotrep2 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 10:04 pm

i'd rather watch curling than golf
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#59 » by will » Mon Aug 4, 2014 10:12 pm

Mack11 wrote:Image

I hope she's collecting them child support cheques. Hot damn!
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#60 » by grimlock » Mon Aug 4, 2014 11:54 pm

Steven1562 wrote:.. Kobe assaulted some girl we don't call him a disgraced basketball player

No.. I call him a dishonest anal fiend. For some thats a thumbs up.. for me he will be forever stained!

Return to General Other Sports Talk