Around the NBAsphere

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Around the NBAsphere 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 pm

A new thread dedicated to all dealings and issues around the NBA. How will it effect the Grizzlies?
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore
And1: 6

Re: Around the NBAsphere 

Post#2 » by PAGrizzFan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 pm

SD2042 wrote:A new thread dedicated to all dealings and issues around the NBA. How will it effect the Grizzlies?

I don't get the Warriors and all the hype with Iggy. They are puttting a budding star on the bench and lost a lot of toughness with Landry leaving.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#3 » by PAGrizzFan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:03 am

What the heck are the T-Wolves doing as well?

Re-Sign Chase Budinger 3/16
Sign Corey Brewer 3/15
Sign Kevin Martin 4/28
Re-sign Pekovic 4/50

I don't see how these deals are making them better, and then trading Luke Ridnour who can play both PG/SG for them.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 am

PAGrizzFan wrote:
SD2042 wrote:A new thread dedicated to all dealings and issues around the NBA. How will it effect the Grizzlies?

I don't get the Warriors and all the hype with Iggy. They are puttting a budding star on the bench and lost a lot of toughness with Landry leaving.

I question the deal myself. Sure Iggy is a solid player in his own right, but that effects Barnes potential as you stated above. If anything, I think GS did an uneccessary deal by acquiring Iggy and didn't improve their chances for their next playoff run.
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#5 » by jumivi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:45 pm

SD2042 wrote:
I question the deal myself. Sure Iggy is a solid player in his own right, but that effects Barnes potential as you stated above. If anything, I think GS did an uneccessary deal by acquiring Iggy and didn't improve their chances for their next playoff run.

i guess Thompson will be the 6th man.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#6 » by PAGrizzFan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:45 pm

jumivi wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Kid is a star and shouldn't be coming off the bench though then got rid of Landry and bring in Speights, just WHAT
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#7 » by darkangle901 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:03 am

PAGrizzFan wrote:
jumivi wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Kid is a star and shouldn't be coming off the bench though then got rid of Landry and bring in Speights, just WHAT

Idk we need to see it first. Iggy is a hell of a defender, and Speights can stretch defenses in a way the other bigs can't. Could be important, especially considering Iggy is a mediocre shooter.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
darkangle901
Starter

Post#8 » by darkangle901 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:05 am

PAGrizzFan wrote:What the heck are the T-Wolves doing as well?

Sign Corey Brewer 3/15
Sign Kevin Martin 4/28
Re-sign Pekovic 4/50

I don't see how these deals are making them better, and then trading Luke Ridnour who can play both PG/SG for them.

It seems like they're just blindly collecting assets in an effort to keep Love from opting out.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#9 » by PAGrizzFan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:44 pm

darkangle901 wrote:
PAGrizzFan wrote:
jumivi wrote:

Idk we need to see it first. Iggy is a hell of a defender, and Speights can stretch defenses in a way the other bigs can't. Could be important, especially considering Iggy is a mediocre shooter.

True Speights can stretch the floor, but I consider him a "Black Hole", guy has never seen a shot he doesn't like. But why have Barnes or Klay come off the bench, they both are budding stars. They should have spent the money on Milsap or re-signed Landry.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#10 » by PAGrizzFan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:45 pm

darkangle901 wrote:
PAGrizzFan wrote:What the heck are the T-Wolves doing as well?

Sign Corey Brewer 3/15
Sign Kevin Martin 4/28
Re-sign Pekovic 4/50

It seems like they're just blindly collecting assets in an effort to keep Love from opting out.

Great point. They have to be, still see him leaving for LA though.
darkangle901
Starter

Post#11 » by darkangle901 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:12 am

PAGrizzFan wrote:
darkangle901 wrote:
PAGrizzFan wrote:

True Speights can stretch the floor, but I consider him a "Black Hole", guy has never seen a shot he doesn't like. But why have Barnes or Klay come off the bench, they both are budding stars. They should have spent the money on Milsap or re-signed Landry.

Agreed Speights shot selection is sometimes dubious but he can be helpful if used correctly. He's serviceable on defense and on the boards, can play center effectively, and like we said can space the floor.

I think what Golden State has done is given themselves more versatility. Last year they basically had two options: small-ball to put pressure on the defense or the traditional 2-big lineup to compete on the boards and on defense.

Iggy's ability to take on top-notch SF's defensively (where Clay couldn't) and Speights' ability to stretch the floor without sacrificing size and rebounding give them a lot more options. They can now play a five-shooter lineup with Speights as the only big or play a big defensive lineup with Iggy and Barnes on the wings.

They do need to replace Jarrett Jack though. Far as I can tell, Machado is the only PG on the roster besides Curry and, while I like what I've seen from Machado in summer league and brief action with the Rockets, he can't be counted on to deliver consistently.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:09 am

Looks like the Warriors found their replacement in Toney Douglas. A downgrade from they had in Jarrett Jack, I guess it fills a need.
darkangle901
Starter

Post#13 » by darkangle901 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:09 am

SD2042 wrote:Looks like the Warriors found their replacement in Toney Douglas. A downgrade from they had in Jarrett Jack, I guess it fills a need.

Ah. Serviceable is the word that comes to mind with Douglas. Jack was actually a weapon in that role.

I guess serviceable is better than nothing.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:59 am

True.

Next up. With Dwight Howard in the same conference as us. It will be interesting to see how Marc and Dwight will be challenging each other for being the best center in the Southwest Division.
darkangle901
Starter

Post#15 » by darkangle901 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:37 am

SD2042 wrote:True.

Next up. With Dwight Howard in the same conference as us. It will be interesting to see how Marc and Dwight will be challenging each other for being the best center in the Southwest Division.

Let's be real. It's for best center in the NBA.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#16 » by PAGrizzFan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 pm

This makes me laugh. The probably for Clippers wasn't scoring, it was defense and they did NOTHING to improve on that. Clippers made some decent moves, but IMO still not enough especially at the 4/5 spots.

Brad Turner: Clippers now have 3 centers: Mullens, DeAndre Jordan, Ryan Hollins. Clippers not looking to sign Marcus Camby, sources. Twitter @BA_Turner
darkangle901
Starter

Post#17 » by darkangle901 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 am

PAGrizzFan wrote:This makes me laugh. The probably for Clippers wasn't scoring, it was defense and they did NOTHING to improve on that. Clippers made some decent moves, but IMO still not enough especially at the 4/5 spots.

Brad Turner: Clippers now have 3 centers: Mullens, DeAndre Jordan, Ryan Hollins. Clippers not looking to sign Marcus Camby, sources. Twitter @BA_Turner

Well, Dudley is a good defender. Certainly better than Caron Butler. But I don't think it outweighs the downgrade from Eric Bledsoe to Collison/Redick. Or that they may be expanding the role for Ryan Hollins who fouls more than any player I've ever seen.

They're gonna need Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan to take a step forward defensively to make up for all the liabilities on the perimeter. Blake with his athleticism and range has to be able to thwart pick and rolls and cover for teammates, and DJ has to be more aggressive in deterring action in the paint.

They will certainly win 50+ games based on being able to shoot opponents out of the building on many nights. But come playoff time they'll fail again if they don't improve defensively.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#18 » by dark-child » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 pm

I think the LA Clippers are the most complete team in the West and would rank them ahead of OKC and SAS. Granted they are not perfect but there changes this offseason will make them a very formidable foe. I am not saying the Grizz should fear them but we definitely should not under estimate them at all.

They are our main rival going forward, and will we be up to the challenge?
darkangle901
Starter

Post#19 » by darkangle901 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:17 am

dark-child wrote:I think the LA Clippers are the most complete team in the West and would rank them ahead of OKC and SAS. Granted they are not perfect but there changes this offseason will make them a very formidable foe. I am not saying the Grizz should fear them but we definitely should not under estimate them at all.

If we can land a shooter like miller and dump prince we will be in good shape both this year and next i believe. We still have a better defense and their bigs have not proven they can defend marc and z without fouling. Especially if surrounded with better shooters.

Theyre not going to average 100ppg against us, and thats what i believe it would take for them.

Our real problems arw houston and sa, and okc if they manage to upgrade at C.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using RealGM Forums mobile app
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#20 » by PAGrizzFan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 pm

dark-child wrote:I think the LA Clippers are the most complete team in the West and would rank them ahead of OKC and SAS. Granted they are not perfect but there changes this offseason will make them a very formidable foe. I am not saying the Grizz should fear them but we definitely should not under estimate them at all.

They did NOTHING to improve their big men. NOTHING. BJ Mullens is just another offensive shooter and not very good at that.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies