ImageImage

Around the NBAsphere

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Re: Around the NBAsphere 

Post#21 » by darkangle901 » Mon Aug 5, 2013 5:34 pm

Going out on a limb here, but I think Milwaukee is going to surprise some people. They managed to grab the 8th seed last year with maybe the most inefficient backcourt i've ever seen.

We know their defense will be fine as long as Larry Sanders is on the court, and they have a top-notch set of shooters. It's questionable how they will go about breaking down defenses, but one thing I know from watching last year is that O.J. Mayo seems to have no problem getting quality looks no matter who is around him. He basically was the Mavs offense in the first half of last year and his percentages were sky-high. His problem was he liked to take plays off defensively, but I think Milwaukee is a better fit in that as a team they emphasize that end, and because Sanders cleans up so much at the basket.

If they get everyone on the same page with a lot of motion/screening action to make sure their offense is more than just Mayo launching jumpers, I think they'll be fine. Delfino and Ilyasova is maybe the best shooting forward tandem in the game, and Ridnour is a steady hand at PG.

I mean I could be wrong though. It is Milwaukee, after all.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
Basketball MVP
Junior
And1: 406

Post#22 » by Basketball MVP » Thu Aug 8, 2013 2:53 am

I don't see it for the Bucks. They replaced Monta Ellis with O.J Mayo, which basically cancels itself out. Carlisle was livid with O.J and dogged him out in public I remember. Knight will shine as a perimeter defender, but that's about it. Sanders will be good. I don't see much improvement.
Memphis basketball
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#23 » by darkangle901 » Fri Aug 9, 2013 8:27 am

Basketball MVP wrote:I don't see it for the Bucks. They replaced Monta Ellis with O.J Mayo, which basically cancels itself out. Carlisle was livid with O.J and dogged him out in public I remember. Knight will shine as a perimeter defender, but that's about it. Sanders will be good. I don't see much improvement.

I think Mayo is a huge upgrade over Ellis.

Mayo - 45% FG, 41% 3PT, 82% FT
Ellis - 42% FG, 29% 3PT, 77% FT

Ellis was slightly more active (higher points and assists) but I think O.J. is a far superior player offensively because he is much more efficient. The fact that Mayo's 3PT percentage is about the same as Ellis's overall FG percentage is telling.

For the bucks, it's up to their coaching staff to instill a disciplined offensive scheme. A team with that many shooters can light it up if they're all on the same page.

Admittedly, it could get ugly if their offensive style is more loose than I'm anticipating.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#24 » by vanjulio » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Basketball MVP wrote:I don't see it for the Bucks. They replaced Monta Ellis with O.J Mayo, which basically cancels itself out. Carlisle was livid with O.J and dogged him out in public I remember. Knight will shine as a perimeter defender, but that's about it. Sanders will be good. I don't see much improvement.

Gary Neal is a great improvement. That guy is borderline star and they got him for cheap. If one of those bigs they got like Kratysov steps up and Pachulia is healthy all year then they will be quite dangerous. I think they're a good playoff team although not a contender but in the Atlanta/Chicago/Brooklyn camp.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#25 » by PAGrizzFan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:20 pm

vanjulio wrote:

Gary Neal is a great improvement. That guy is borderline star and they got him for cheap. If one of those bigs they got like Kratysov steps up and Pachulia is healthy all year then they will be quite dangerous. I think they're a good playoff team although not a contender but in the Atlanta/Chicago/Brooklyn camp.

Neal is not a borderline star, wake me up when a Spurs players goes out and succeeds without the team. Look at Roger Mason Jr.

And guessing you mean Miami and not Atlanta.
tenkev
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#26 » by tenkev » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 pm

PAGrizzFan wrote:
vanjulio wrote:

Neal is not a borderline star, wake me up when a Spurs players goes out and succeeds without the team. Look at Roger Mason Jr.

And guessing you mean Miami and not Atlanta.

Wake up
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#27 » by SD2042 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Looks like Former U of M star and Chicago Bulls PG Derrick Rose will be out once again for the season after having surgery on his menicus tear he received on Friday during the road game in Portland. This is drawing eerie comparisons to Penny Hardaway and how his career started to unravel. Is he same thing starting to happen to D-Rose? Chicago have a lot of questions to address.

Will they be able to keep going w/o D-Rose like they did last season?

Will they look to dismantle the team that was suppose to contend with the Heat to gain the big ticket to the NBA Finals?

Will they look to the upcoming draft to acquire a new PG to replace D-Rose if he doesn't comeback as the same player?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,180

Post#28 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Is it weird that I hate AND respect you guys for inflicting Rudy on my Raptors?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#29 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:18 am

tsherkin wrote:Is it weird that I hate AND respect you guys for inflicting Rudy on my Raptors?

That's what I call a major conflict. Considering that your new GM is set on blowing the team up. Which team do you think Rudy could end up with?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by tsherkin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 am

Masai doesn't appear set on anything yet, so we'll see.

Want him back?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#31 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:28 am

tsherkin wrote:Masai doesn't appear set on anything yet, so we'll see.

Want him back?

Rudy has a home here in Memphis. That's about as close as he'll be. Rudy would have to be on one of those teams like the Hawks or Pelicans that like to run up and down the floor on the consistant basis. He actually would've benefited from the D'Antoni run Suns team back when he was coaching them. Rudy would be a stretch four in that system.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by tsherkin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:32 am

He needs someone with a cane to beat him when be shoots too much, misses passes and takes dumb shots *grumble*

I bet Memphis' structure and pecking order helped a lot.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#33 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:05 am

tsherkin wrote:He needs someone with a cane to beat him when be shoots too much, misses passes and takes dumb shots *grumble*

I bet Memphis' structure and pecking order helped a lot.

:lol:

It helped at times and it was detrimental at times. In Rudy's case, he's more effective slashing to the hole than he is perimeter oriented. That was one of the problems here in Memphis. He unintentionally caused a clog in the post where mostly Z-Bo and Marc were to be the main focus in the scheme of the Grizz offense. And there were times his shooting would either win or cost you games.

Rudy's weakness in perimeter offense can be traced back to high school. If you or anyone else went to high school games, then you would know that high school coaches would put their tallest players down in the post so they can be their main post scorer on offense. Rudy likely fell in that category. The problem here is that although that kid maybe your tallest player on the squad, that player would be subjected to what I called perimeter development failure. What if your tallest player on your high school b-ball team only grows to be a certain height. Let's say between 6'4 to 6'9 with only post moves and inconsistancies(sp) around the perimeter. High school coaches and their players should hold themselves accountable especially if said player is looking to take his skills to the college level and perhaps the NBA or overseas b-ball. Development in basketball is vital if players want to perfect the skills necessary to make good of themselves so when the day comes his teammates will be able to rely on him to come through in the clutch.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by tsherkin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:00 pm

I think his bigger problem is that he doesn't think to pass as a top-2 option and that he was raised in the And-1 era of moron-ball, personally. AAU certainly didn't help that, though, you are very much correct there. So much talent to be governed by a ten-cent brain.

Love his D, though; best perimeter defender we've ever had.
VanDamme
Veteran
And1: 5,241

Post#35 » by VanDamme » Tue Dec 3, 2013 7:33 pm

Please take him back! haha
There's a Rudy Gay discussion on the Raptors forum you guys may be able to provide some input on

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1287851
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#36 » by SD2042 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 7:55 pm

VanDamme wrote:Please take him back! haha
There's a Rudy Gay discussion on the Raptors forum you guys may be able to provide some input on

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1287851

Could be a case where Rudy is clearly being defiant for playing for this team and perhaps is trying like hell to get traded away from Toronto.
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#37 » by jumivi » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Jared Dudley @JaredDudley619 12 Dec
I just have to apologize to all clipper fans by my play this season! I been playing like s****. It's been downright embarrassing!

Tayshaun Prince has twitter?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#38 » by SD2042 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:28 am

Wishful thinking I guess.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#39 » by SD2042 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Been a minute. Time for updates.

Several topics up for discussion:

What will the future look like for the Knicks with or w/o Melo?

What has happen to the Pacers? Will they collaspe causing Vogal to lose his job?

Your take on the playoffs to this point.

Will the Warriors be stupid enough to get rid of Marc Jackson if they happen to lose to the Clippers?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#40 » by SD2042 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Looks like unfrtunate timing has hit the Clippers in the form of racial comments made by their owner Donald Sterling. Sterling was taped by his mistress as they were entrenched in the argument over race. If you regardless of race have issues over another race over skin color or the company your friends keep, that simply makes you an ignorant fool.

This is a NBA league where all ethnic groups come together on hardwood floor to Display their talents for the world to see and enjoy. For someone to say those disturbing comments and you own a team consisting of the race you have issues with, how do you expect your team to focus on he task of winning a playoff series? Let alone represent the team you own and play for.

Racism is poisonous and should be put to death. All it does is cloud the mindset and allows hatred and bigotry to stain what the true meaning of what the human race should be and that's universal.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies