HAVE GRIZZLIES LOST THEIR BITE? 

Post#1 » by jumivi » Mon Nov 4, 2013 1:50 pm

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: HAVE GRIZZLIES LOST THEIR BITE? 

Post#2 » by SD2042 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 6:10 pm

It's debatable after three games. As the scores indicate, the Grizz have allowed their opponents to score over 100pts in their first three starts. And it took OT to beat an upcoming Pistons team, who had them on the ropes for the majority of the second half. The issues that definately needs to be address are the TOs' and defensive rotations. They are not staying on their assignments and make them work for their shots. And the TOs' throughout these 5 games including the last two preseasons are a cause for concern. Teams with high TO rates tend to lose games. Considering how tight the Western Conference is, the Grizz cannot afford to lose games due to high TO rates and losing their man on defense.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#3 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:09 pm

I'm in no way saying that everything is fine and dandy. However, I'm going to reserve judgement until after a few more games.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#4 » by mid-post » Tue Nov 5, 2013 12:55 am

This is a professional, veteran squad, so we won't know until probably 20 games in if things are bad or not.
mbruty
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#5 » by mbruty » Wed Nov 6, 2013 3:22 am

Ironic I just did an article on the same thing and probably doubled up on the damn thread - my bad.

Here is my take: http://pickandroll.com.au/memphis-grizzlies-slump/

Will ask the other thread to be closed.
FOR THE BEST BASKETBALL DISCUSSION - FOLLOW THE FLOOR GENERAL

Check out http://www.floorgeneral.com.au for the best basketball news, opinion & discussion. NBA / NCAA / HS HOOPS etc.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#6 » by vanjulio » Wed Nov 6, 2013 2:48 pm

Good article thanks for sharing here. I think Bayless is a really good 6th man and underrated. Also it has taken me a very long time to change my original judgment of Koufos. He is a completely different player though. The guy has major talent and physical dominance on the court. Otherwise I agree with your assessment that Conley, Gasol, and ZBO are the main talents. Don't forget the value of Tony Allen though to a team.

I was expecting a significant improvement from Pondexter this year and so far he's actually regressed. I hope that's just early season jitters and them working out the offense. Conley has also been terrible from what I've seen so it's not just him that is underperforming thus far. But I have to agree with you the rest of the roster is pretty mediocre. Mike Miller has a lot to prove for why he belongs and frankly has let me down tremendously. If the buckets start coming I'll change my tune but all you can see today is the reason he was amnestied.

Every year for the past 5 years I think they bring in guys like Franklin and Calathes with a lot of hype and they amount to Dleaguers and headed back to Europe in a season or two. The lightning in a bottle guys. It is really sad if you think about it, from our 3 years of tanking we obtained Mike Conley, OJ Mayo, and Hasheem Thabeet. That's going to come back to haunt us at some point. It's amazing what they've done to keep this team competitive despite never landing any real star in the draft.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
mbruty
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#7 » by mbruty » Wed Nov 6, 2013 10:47 pm

vanjulio wrote:

Good article thanks for sharing here. I think Bayless is a really good 6th man and underrated. Also it has taken me a very long time to change my original judgment of Koufos. He is a completely different player though. The guy has major talent and physical dominance on the court. Otherwise I agree with your assessment that Conley, Gasol, and ZBO are the main talents. Don't forget the value of Tony Allen though to a team.

I was expecting a significant improvement from Pondexter this year and so far he's actually regressed. I hope that's just early season jitters and them working out the offense. Conley has also been terrible from what I've seen so it's not just him that is underperforming thus far. But I have to agree with you the rest of the roster is pretty mediocre. Mike Miller has a lot to prove for why he belongs and frankly has let me down tremendously. If the buckets start coming I'll change my tune but all you can see today is the reason he was amnestied.

Every year for the past 5 years I think they bring in guys like Franklin and Calathes with a lot of hype and they amount to Dleaguers and headed back to Europe in a season or two. The lightning in a bottle guys. It is really sad if you think about it, from our 3 years of tanking we obtained Mike Conley, OJ Mayo, and Hasheem Thabeet. That's going to come back to haunt us at some point. It's amazing what they've done to keep this team competitive despite never landing any real star in the draft.

Firstly, thanks for the feedback and taking the time to read my work!

Really love your insight into this. Bayless came out in summer league years ago and was unbelievable. He can score in bunches and has improved his handle and decision making. Koufos I agree with as well - seems to just be on a roster because of his size, but is actually quite a good role player.

Again thanks for the commentary - love it. I hope the Grizz get it together and start to give these big market teams another run for their money (as an OKC fan, I have a habit of rooting for the little guy!)
FOR THE BEST BASKETBALL DISCUSSION - FOLLOW THE FLOOR GENERAL

Check out http://www.floorgeneral.com.au for the best basketball news, opinion & discussion. NBA / NCAA / HS HOOPS etc.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#8 » by vanjulio » Thu Nov 7, 2013 2:59 pm

now your article is more on point after last night. the next week could be where we start to right the ship or could really be a tough road... I think they are going to really struggle in the next week
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#9 » by PAGrizzFan » Sat Nov 9, 2013 7:34 pm

vanjulio wrote:now your article is more on point after last night. the next week could be where we start to right the ship or could really be a tough road... I think they are going to really struggle in the next week

Two tough games in Warriors/Pacers. Heard team has been practicing a lot of offense, but they just starting to get back to defense in practice. Also, does not help that Miller is playing 25+ minutes a game.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies