ImageImage

Team Coming Around?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

PAGrizzFan
Sophomore
And1: 6

Team Coming Around? 

Post#1 » by PAGrizzFan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Right after I make a post about tearing the team apart, they win two in a row.

ZBO showing up and the role players especially Leuer/Koufos. James Johnson has been a solid addition, he isn't a special player, but makes the team more athletic.

Still think a move might need to be made, still need another shooter. Wish we could get rid of Prince, but his contract is too much.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Re: Team Coming Around? 

Post#2 » by dark-child » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:43 pm

To part with Prince he is going to have to be paired with either Ed Davis or Jeryd Bayless in a deal and even then you might not get exactly what you want but an almost equally unappealing contract but a little better value like a John Salmons or Landry Fields.

In the past the Grizzlies wanted to get rid of a bad contract in Brian Cardinal and ended up with the equally bad deal of Marko Jaric with no Adriana Lima sighting inside of Memphis. Granted is was apart of a larger Kevin Love/O.J. Mayo deal but you get the gist.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#3 » by jefe » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:31 am

We beat the Knicks and the Jazz - hardly a sign of righting the ship IMO.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#4 » by vanjulio » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:51 pm

wait til after tonight ... if we are competitive then yes. if we get blown out in Houston.. then you know, "Houston, we have a problem" :lol: :lol:
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#5 » by PAGrizzFan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:36 pm

jefe wrote:We beat the Knicks and the Jazz - hardly a sign of righting the ship IMO.

Have to start a winning streak somewhere. Also, like how ZBO and the backups in Leuer/Koufos are playing better. More than just winning against terrible teams
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by vanjulio » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:28 pm

any team can steal a win this time of year with folks minds all on the holidays and some folks already just planning their summer vacation (everyone on the Knicks roster). I like what they've done but they have a long way to go.

And then I just read this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken ... themselves

looks like the FO is unhappy with the current results too
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#7 » by PAGrizzFan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:09 am

vanjulio wrote:any team can steal a win this time of year with folks minds all on the holidays and some folks already just planning their summer vacation (everyone on the Knicks roster). I like what they've done but they have a long way to go.

And then I just read this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken ... themselves

looks like the FO is unhappy with the current results too

I would do this deal, granted Meeks can't create his own shot like Bayless, but Meeks is a better spot up shooter.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... Ohio-State
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#8 » by jefe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:49 am

PAGrizzFan wrote:
jefe wrote:We beat the Knicks and the Jazz - hardly a sign of righting the ship IMO.

Have to start a winning streak somewhere. Also, like how ZBO and the backups in Leuer/Koufos are playing better. More than just winning against terrible teams

They played better because they were playing against scrubs - aka the Knicks and the Jazz.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by vanjulio » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:57 pm

my ruling after last night is that the Grizzlies are a "good" team with just Randolph but "good" won't even get you in the playoffs this year. With Marc Gasol back full strength we might show glimpses of greatness and could sneak back in but it will be a long hard road back. I think the quote from ZBO about having Mayo and Rudy before and now we don't have offensive firepower like that anymore is very telling. You can see we got some guys that are decent role players like Bayless and Conley but no world class alphas out there. Mike Miller is hardly able to contribute. Prince is in full-on Veteran operation mode, the twilight of his career. We don't have any dynamic scorers other than bench guys like Jonshon, Bayless, Tony Allen, and Jon Leuer. The team is coming around from being a "laughing stock" of the league maybe but I wouldn't hold my breath for us to go on any long runs of win streaks with this current cast. That game was a huge let down. Sorry you can't expect to beat a team solely with ZBO at this point of his career he's not going to put up 40 points every night and teams are too deep to allow that.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 pm

The stats and minutes alone show that the team is rely on ZBo to get them through the hard times and he alone can't do that on the nightly basis. At the rate the Grizzlies are going, they will be lucky to get to seventh spot in the WC. It's way too competitive and the Grizz don't have the necessary part to contend with the other teams to solidify a playoff run. A lot of issues need to be address.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#11 » by dark-child » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:55 pm

I just don't understand the front office keeping the same parts/personnel yet wanting to play a different style of play?

We lost winnable games in November fooling around with that experiment.

We want guys to improve every year but we can't ask them to morph into something they are not, i.e. Mike Conley and Marc Gasol; these guys are not at there best at manufacturing offense.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:10 am

dark-child wrote:I just don't understand the front office keeping the same parts/personnel yet wanting to play a different style of play?

We lost winnable games in November fooling around with that experiment.

We want guys to improve every year but we can't ask them to morph into something they are not, i.e. Mike Conley and Marc Gasol; these guys are not at there best at manufacturing offense.

Hence the need of a scorer who can create his own offense. Rudy Gay for all his worth was the closest player the Grizzlies had who could do such. Now the front office should've realize that the Grizzlies need such a player to take some pressure off Z-Bo and company way by now.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#13 » by PAGrizzFan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:20 am

As said a few weeks ago, they coming together. Conley is playing at an All-Star pace right now and our bench depth is playing where they should be. Excited for the 2nd half of the season.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:25 am

Another advantage for the Grizzlies are the multiple injuries that have hit key players of certain teams. With these injuries, certain teams may struggle to win games on the nightly basis and While the Grizzlies may never get within the first four spots of the playoff race. It's necessary that they can get within 5th or 6th so they can avoid SA as a perennial opponent.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#15 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:28 am

I hope you guys are looking to trade Tayshaun Prince at the deadline and give James Johnson the starting SF spot, this guy is an animal.
Read on Twitter
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#16 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Prince's deal just isn't all that appealing. He may be too costly to move this season. After this season/next year when his contract is in it's last year will make it much more attractive.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore

Post#17 » by PAGrizzFan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:09 am

WE COMING WE COMING

I knew the team was coming around and this is the best we looked all season.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies