ImageImage

Bayless For Courtney Lee

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

PAGrizzFan
Sophomore
And1: 6

Bayless For Courtney Lee 

Post#1 » by PAGrizzFan » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:06 am

Pretty much indifferent on this deal. Think it makes us better as a team Lee is shooting 49.2% and 44.2 for three. While Bayless is shooting 37.5% and 28.8%

We pretty much suck at PG once again, how many years now have we gone without a backup PG. Wonder if Lowry is available for a trade exception. Nick isn't cutting it at all.
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Re: Bayless For Courtney Lee 

Post#2 » by ferk » Mon Jan 6, 2014 2:47 am

great deal for memphis talent wise.

you're right about pg depth but we also needed a SG that's a good all around player.

Can lee start if the grizz insist on starting prince ?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 2:55 am

This is an interesting pickup by the Grizzlies if this deal goes through. Lee would bolster the SG position from both ends of the floor. The Grizzlies attempted to draft Lee in the 2009 draft, but the Magic ended up getting to him first. I'm surprised that the Celtics want Bayless back in return for trading Lee away. Then again, the Celts are rebuilding as well others for the upcoming draft.
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#4 » by crosko42 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:01 am

SD2042 wrote:This is an interesting pickup by the Grizzlies if this deal goes through. Lee would bolster the SG position from both ends of the floor. The Grizzlies attempted to draft Lee in the 2009 draft, but the Magic ended up getting to him first. I'm surprised that the Celtics want Bayless back in return for trading Lee away. Then again, the Celts are rebuilding as well others for the upcoming draft.

Celts are basically looking at it as a salary dump with lee looking at even less minutes once rondo comes back later (hopefully) this month.

Hes been playing well this season and always plays hard.

Hopefully he works out for you guys and helps you compete in the tough west.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#5 » by dark-child » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:25 am

Really shocked by this given the additional years and money on Lee's deal. Our long term wings are Tony Allen, Quincy Pondexter, Courtney Lee, and another year of Tayshaun Prince. That group doesn't exactly strike fear from an offensive standpoint and defensively the best two in the group are the two older guys. This deal also leaves the Grizz with no reliable backup PG. I thought the deal would be more lopsided since they also released Seth Curry prior to the deal being announced, on the plane ride home which was not necessary until Tuesday. I hope a more important deal is on the horizon that will make sense of this one.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:27 am

ferk wrote:great deal for memphis talent wise.

you're right about pg depth but we also needed a SG that's a good all around player.

CLee is around 6'5 to 6'6. He may get away with it in certain matchups. I rather see James Johnson get the start over Prince at this point.
ferk
Starter

Post#7 » by ferk » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:36 am

SD2042 wrote:
ferk wrote:great deal for memphis talent wise.

CLee is around 6'5 to 6'6. He may get away with it in certain matchups. I rather see James Johnson get the start over Prince at this point.

that would be ideal .

looking at our salary the grizz seem to be almost 2m under the tax line which makes this deal even better for us.
blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#8 » by blackham9258 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:46 am

Jazz offer Marvin and right to swap our 2nd rounder with you for your first rounder top 10 protected and prince. You get a 27 yr old stretch 4/sf and cap relief next year we get the upside of you missing the playoffs and getting an 11-22 pick.
ferk
Starter

Post#9 » by ferk » Mon Jan 6, 2014 4:29 am

memphis also gets a 2016 2nd round pick .
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#10 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Mon Jan 6, 2014 1:28 pm

blackham9258 wrote:Jazz offer Marvin and right to swap our 2nd rounder with you for your first rounder top 10 protected and prince. You get a 27 yr old stretch 4/sf and cap relief next year we get the upside of you missing the playoffs and getting an 11-22 pick.

No thanks.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:11 pm

ferk wrote:memphis also gets a 2016 2nd round pick .

As part of the Bayless/Lee trade?

blackham9258 wrote:Jazz offer Marvin and right to swap our 2nd rounder with you for your first rounder top 10 protected and prince. You get a 27 yr old stretch 4/sf and cap relief next year we get the upside of you missing the playoffs and getting an 11-22 pick.

I know that the Jazz are tanking, but don't expect the Grizz to give up a first rounder along with Prince just to get Marvin Williams and a second round pick. Williams fits more on an uptempo team. The Grizz don't fit the definition for him. The Grizzlies need a scorer who can create for himself. That would prove beneficial for the team especially in crunch time when your scorer needs to make a clutch shot in order to get wins.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#12 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:40 pm

Yes - Grizz will get Boston's 2016 2nd round pick. Chris Herrington said on Twitter last night that it's a "real" pick too, not protected or anything like that.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#13 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:56 pm

Sounds like a deal to me. I feel there's more trades to come.

Needs

backup PG
Scorer wo can create his own shot and play solid defense
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#14 » by vanjulio » Mon Jan 6, 2014 8:33 pm

I like this deal. Since I don't have league pass this year I have to admit, I haven't seen nearly as many Grizzlies games as I'd like to this year... but I catch almost every single of the local Celtics games here...
I've liked what I've seen from Courtney Lee this year and think it will translate perfect to the Grizz. He doesn't need to start or play 30 minutes to get hot to contribute. He just comes in and does it. He plays of course great defense to go with the offense - that's my kinda player I want with the Grizz. In my opinion Bayless lost the backup point guard position back in 2012. I think we'll just see a lot more of Calathes. It's possible Grizzlies could believe Lee can run the point down the road especially since Conley is a little undersized. We've been looking for a Greivis Vasquez replacement ever since he was traded....

Question for Boston is whether this move means that Rondo is considering taking the rest of the season off?
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 9:10 pm

That's a good question to ask. It's similar to the Kobe and his injury which has sideline him again for six weeks. The Lakers are practically a walking Mash Unit right now losing nearly a 1/3 of their roster. Jordan Farmar re-aggravated his left hamstring over the weekend and will be sidelined for nearly 3 to 5 weeks.
PAGrizzFan
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#16 » by PAGrizzFan » Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:39 am

SD2042 wrote:Sounds like a deal to me. I feel there's more trades to come.

Needs

backup PG
Scorer wo can create his own shot and play solid defense

Andre MIller is available.

Prince has to be in a deal, that would be the only explanation that he is still starting. Chris Vernon said there is interest in him and they want to move him
ferk
Starter

Post#17 » by ferk » Tue Jan 7, 2014 5:24 am

i heard on the radio that memphis will get a 1st . if true this got much better for MEM.
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#18 » by jumivi » Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:03 pm

ferk wrote:i heard on the radio that memphis will get a 1st . if true this got much better for MEM.

if that is true i guess its going to be OK pick.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#19 » by vanjulio » Tue Jan 7, 2014 3:59 pm

I read on the Celtics board that Ryan Gomes is in the deal. I had no idea he was still getting a check from the NBA! let alone Boston! I would have liked him on the Grizz 5 years ago... Local Providence kid!

OH hold on I got that all mixed up... was wondering how OKC was involved. Apparently he's on the THunder roster! :lol: :lol: and he's headed back home to Boston! Remember he was in the original deal with Al Jefferson that sent KG to Boston... So Gomes is headed back to New England where he is a local legend and ANOTHER 2nd round draft pick is going to OKC? Not sure why this is part of the Courtney Lee deal though
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#20 » by jumivi » Tue Jan 7, 2014 6:19 pm

Under terms of the deal announced Tuesday, the Grizzlies get Lee and a 2016 second-round draft pick from Boston. The Celtics get Bayless and also receive forward Ryan Gomes from Oklahoma City. The Thunder receive a conditional 2017 second-round draft pick from Memphis.

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/01/07/lee-bayless-trade.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

i guess we still have the exeption... mnmnmn (expire in a few days)

Return to Memphis Grizzlies