2014/2015 changes

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Snoopie
Junior
And1: 14

Re: 2014/2015 changes 

Post#21 » by Snoopie » Fri May 9, 2014 12:19 am

jefe wrote:
Snoopie wrote:Another potential player to target (if we have space) could be Parsons? Houston have a team option but it's such a low price (I think it's like $1 million) that they may have no choice but to let become an RFA if they can't negotiate a contract extension with him.

Realistically speaking he probably won't leave the Rockets but he'd be a perfect fit to replace Prince at SF, although his price tag would probably be what, something in the $35-$40 million/4 years range?

The Rockets have a team option on Parsons for 2014-15 at just under a million (according to hoopshype). They would have to be bat**** insane not to pick it up. He won't be a free agent this offseason under any scenario.

The thing with Parsons is that he is obviously worth a helluva lot more than the 900k the Rockets would pay him next season. So if they can't work out a contract extension on the spot then the Rockets picking up his option without offering him a new deal virtually guarantees that he walks at the end of next season. So the thought process here is that if they can't come to terms on a contract extension then the Rockets let him test the market then (potentially) match instead of giving him a contract that they may not want to.

Either way, agree it's an extremely long shot but I feel he'd be a good fit in Memphis if it were somehow a possibility.
Snoopie
Junior

Post#22 » by Snoopie » Fri May 9, 2014 12:21 am

darkangle901 wrote:
jefe wrote:
darkangle901 wrote:On a similar note, I wonder if the Grizzlies don't amnesty Randolph assuming he declines his early-termination option. Wouldn't be a popular move, but he's clearly not a top player anymore and is way overpaid.

They could also stretch TA if they want to go in a more balanced direction dropping his cap number to about 2 million down from 5.

If all three players are waived the total would be $25 million cleared. In theory this would make them players in the FA market. Memphis likely has no chance of signing superstars, but the FA market is very deep, and you could potentially come away with three good starters.

The new ownership isn't cheap by any means, but I don't know if they'd make any move that you've outlined (you still have to pay the player the money in reality, it just doesn't deliver the cap hit) and then turn around and spend (more) money to bring in other players. But who really knows for sure, other than Pera and Levien themselves?

Yeah, I wonder that too. The upside is that you can avoid the luxury tax. I think the most plausible scenario is that Prince is waived, since he seems to have negative value even as an expiring, and 2.5 million of dead weight isn't unbearable.

Agree with this. Of all the things that could happen or should happen, Prince somehow not being at the Grizzlies for very much longer should be the #1 priority.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#23 » by jefe » Fri May 9, 2014 3:09 am

Snoopie wrote:
jefe wrote:
Snoopie wrote:Another potential player to target (if we have space) could be Parsons? Houston have a team option but it's such a low price (I think it's like $1 million) that they may have no choice but to let become an RFA if they can't negotiate a contract extension with him.

Realistically speaking he probably won't leave the Rockets but he'd be a perfect fit to replace Prince at SF, although his price tag would probably be what, something in the $35-$40 million/4 years range?

The Rockets have a team option on Parsons for 2014-15 at just under a million (according to hoopshype). They would have to be bat**** insane not to pick it up. He won't be a free agent this offseason under any scenario.

The thing with Parsons is that he is obviously worth a helluva lot more than the 900k the Rockets would pay him next season. So if they can't work out a contract extension on the spot then the Rockets picking up his option without offering him a new deal virtually guarantees that he walks at the end of next season. So the thought process here is that if they can't come to terms on a contract extension then the Rockets let him test the market then (potentially) match instead of giving him a contract that they may not want to.

Either way, agree it's an extremely long shot but I feel he'd be a good fit in Memphis if it were somehow a possibility.

1. He'd be a fool to agree to an extension rather than hitting the open market. When a contract is extended, it's still locked into the 7.5% annual raise (from the last year of the existing contract) rather than any amount up to a player's maximum (based on years in the league) when a player is a free agent. Given he has far outplayed his contract, I think he'll be able to earn more than 1.07 million in the first year of his new deal - and thus, agreeing to an extension would be foolish on his part.

2. Nothing guarantees he walks from the Rockets because 1) the Rockets can pay him more than anyone else as a free agent, and 2) the Rockets can give him an extra guaranteed year.

3. At the end of the day, the Rockets hold the option to retain him next year for less than a million. There's no way they're going to decline that option to voluntarily pay him more next year. Especially given the fact they've got their eyes (and capspace) set on bigger fish like Carmelo.

I agree that Parsons would be a good fit - but so would Lebron James, and they're equally likely to become free agents that sign with Memphis this summer IMO.
jefe
General Manager

Post#24 » by jefe » Fri May 9, 2014 3:11 am

darkangle901 wrote:
jefe wrote:
darkangle901 wrote:On a similar note, I wonder if the Grizzlies don't amnesty Randolph assuming he declines his early-termination option. Wouldn't be a popular move, but he's clearly not a top player anymore and is way overpaid.

They could also stretch TA if they want to go in a more balanced direction dropping his cap number to about 2 million down from 5.

If all three players are waived the total would be $25 million cleared. In theory this would make them players in the FA market. Memphis likely has no chance of signing superstars, but the FA market is very deep, and you could potentially come away with three good starters.

The new ownership isn't cheap by any means, but I don't know if they'd make any move that you've outlined (you still have to pay the player the money in reality, it just doesn't deliver the cap hit) and then turn around and spend (more) money to bring in other players. But who really knows for sure, other than Pera and Levien themselves?

Yeah, I wonder that too. The upside is that you can avoid the luxury tax. I think the most plausible scenario is that Prince is waived, since he seems to have negative value even as an expiring, and 2.5 million of dead weight isn't unbearable.

Agreed. It'd free up ~5 million on its own. I just wonder how much the front office values him versus other teams and Grizz fans. Based on Joerger's rotations, I have think that they have a higher opinion of him than . . . the rest of the world.
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#25 » by darkangle901 » Fri May 9, 2014 7:35 pm

jefe wrote:
darkangle901 wrote:
jefe wrote:

Agreed. It'd free up ~5 million on its own. I just wonder how much the front office values him versus other teams and Grizz fans. Based on Joerger's rotations, I have think that they have a higher opinion of him than . . . the rest of the world.

Its plain to everyone that he is a non-factor on offense. But the surprising bit is I think he posted the worst DRTG on the team... something like 108.

If we keep him its for midseason trade bait and no other reason. He shouldn't even be active unless there' a rash of injuries.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using RealGM Forums mobile app
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
Snoopie
Junior

Post#26 » by Snoopie » Sat May 10, 2014 2:40 am

Pau has mentioned that we are one of four teams he would consider joining over the summer. The others are the Lakers, Bulls and Spurs.

I mentioned this in the OP and I'll say it again.. would love for Pau to come back to Memphis for his twilight years and I think a Marc/Pau pairing (assuming Pau can stay healthy) is more effective on both ends of the court than a Marc/Zbo pairing.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#27 » by vanjulio » Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 pm

I was a big Pau fan but at this point of his career we just need him for 10-15 mins a night if he'll take the vet minimum. Err perhaps the MLE level... no more though.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
Snoopie
Junior

Post#28 » by Snoopie » Tue May 13, 2014 1:50 am

The only problem with that is I'm fairly certain that Pau doesn't see himself as a 10-15 minute type player, although giving him the MLE sounds about right.

I also agree with the implication that having Pau and Zbo in the same team (assuming we hold onto Zbo) would cause problems in terms of minutes for both players (although Pau can hold down C nearly as well as Marc can)..
darkangle901
Starter

Post#29 » by darkangle901 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:23 am

Having pau + zbo just seems like getting richer at the positions we're already richer at. If somehow we swing major upgrades on the wing and can still afford that great trio ot bigs, then sure why not. But otherwise we need to spend our resources where theyre needed

jefe
General Manager

Post#30 » by jefe » Sat May 17, 2014 3:19 pm

darkangle901 wrote:Having pau + zbo just seems like getting richer at the positions we're already richer at. If somehow we swing major upgrades on the wing and can still afford that great trio ot bigs, then sure why not. But otherwise we need to spend our resources where theyre needed

Agreed - assuming we pick up our option on Koufos, we already have 3 starter quality bigs with Leuer locked in to pick up spot minutes and a larger role if injuries occur - and that's not even addressing what we do with RFA Ed Davis.
darkangle901
Starter

Post#31 » by darkangle901 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:06 am

jefe wrote:
darkangle901 wrote:Having pau + zbo just seems like getting richer at the positions we're already richer at. If somehow we swing major upgrades on the wing and can still afford that great trio ot bigs, then sure why not. But otherwise we need to spend our resources where theyre needed

Agreed - assuming we pick up our option on Koufos, we already have 3 starter quality bigs with Leuer locked in to pick up spot minutes and a larger role if injuries occur - and that's not even addressing what we do with RFA Ed Davis.

Yeah im surely in the minority here, but I've thought for some time that Leuer is our third best big. Seems like he does everything well and he also is a stretch 4, something we've never really had.

I see no need to bring back Ed Davis or pursue Pau unless we move Randolph. Even then we might be better off finding a cheap FA or a rookie to play a few minutes off rather than pay Ed the QO.

orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#32 » by orlandomanic » Thu May 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Any Griz fans want to post for Memphis on the Mock draft. Just click on the link below and select your player....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1324196
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by vanjulio » Thu May 29, 2014 4:21 pm

I went with Shabazz Napier. Who knows if Beno comes back and Nick is out another 7 more games. Plus we had some good success with running 2 PGs at once so I could see Shabazz and Calathes sharing time back there. Napier was incredible this spring and I always go for championship winning players when I have a chance. "Winning is contagious ." "Success breeds success"
darkangle901
Starter

Post#34 » by darkangle901 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Yeah there wasn't a lot left to choose from.

Honestly if Rodney Hood falls that far the Grizzlies would be dumb not to jump ahead of OKC and take him.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by vanjulio » Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 pm

hmm I had not predicted Hood would be an NBA player. This draft has some fools gold in it IMO
darkangle901
Starter

Post#36 » by darkangle901 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 pm

vanjulio wrote:hmm I had not predicted Hood would be an NBA player. This draft has some fools gold in it IMO

Most mocks seem to have him going late lottery. I can see some potential pitfalls with him - namely his slight frame and his shortish arms despite being 6'8" - but he's a deft shooter and has good athleticism.

Of all the guys who might realistically fall to 22, he's the best of them in my opinion, whatever its worth.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by vanjulio » Fri May 30, 2014 1:06 pm

the shooting ability can't be denied. That is a skill we need too

Return to Memphis Grizzlies