ImageImage

The necessary move after the selection

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

The necessary move after the selection 

Post#1 » by dark-child » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:01 pm

This is the additional step the Grizz must make in light of who they select at #22 coupled with who are the likely candidates and why:

The Pick – James Young SG Kentucky – an athletic wing who is very young (no pun intended) so therefore has a lack of experience. The Grizz are not known for developing players so the fire within the individual will be the driving force. Does he want to just play in the league or does he want to be great? In watching Kentucky play sparingly this year there were times when he stepped up and was fearless. The question is whether he is capable of starting day one and not prone to making the rookie mistakes on defense that coaches lose faith in rather quickly? Yes he can start and at the same time learn on the job, so he is both the present and the future which is all you can ask for in your No. 1 pick.
What must the Grizz do after the pick or in combination w/selection: Trade either Courtney Lee or Tony Allen – that’s right boys and girls, you have to make room for your selection to get quality minutes. I know Courtney Lee is obvious as trade bait, but the one dimensional Allen may draw a more quality return from a team looking to improve their defense. I will not go into possible trade scenarios but he is the best tradable asset from your core that does not diminish your playoff chances. Courtney Lee is serviceable so he can either start in front of the rookie until he is ready or remain the quality backup he has been for most of his career. As a quality backup he will not return much in a trade which is why the possibility in trading Allen must be considered. In trading Allen, you must also be smart and not trade him to a team that will hurt you, on the never list – OKC, for obvious reasons should you never help a rival make the next step, like what was done with the Pau Gasol trade; LAC the same applies as previously stated, on the okay list – Minnesota, Sacramento, Phoenix and any Eastern Conf. team.

The pick – P.J. Hairston SG, D-league- physical guard with shooting range, coupled with scoring ability that would make him a day one starter. Think of him as James Harden, without the old man look, although he is James Harden on offense and defense which could be a problem. Not understanding the defensive concepts for this team will have you sitting, just ask Ed Davis. Picking Hairston would solidify your backcourt for years to come.
What must the Grizz do after the pick or in combination w/selection: Trade either Courtney Lee or Tony Allen – the reason is the same as above.

The pick – Doug McDermott SF Creighton – scoring forward, who is a potential lottery pick but also a non athlete who may slide on draft night. Given his scoring ability he is the SF that some say this is wishful thinking, and most GM’s will overlook some obvious negatives in his game and take him early. It is also that same scoring ability that may cause the Grizz to trade up from #22 to acquire him, and therefore he would be the only first round pick if he is still on the board and a deal can be made. McDermott is a day one starter, with Grizz fans having delusions of Larry Legend 2.0 and praying he is Not Adam Morrison.
What must the Grizz do after the pick or in combination w/selection: Trade up to get him or hope he slides to #22. Tayshaun Prince should be traded but it is not dependent upon acquiring McDermott. Quincy (Mr. Glass) Poindexter should also be moved if WE can since he can’t seem to stay healthy and his value is decreasing with age. It is also recommended that Mike Miller be resigned so Prince and Poindexter are expendable. McDermott like Young would be the present and the future if selected.

The pick – Jarnell Stokes PF Tennessee - could be had at #22 but a few more teams are becoming aware of this skilled big man, with a high motor and high basketball IQ. I personally feel he is capable of starting along side of Marc Gasol so he is also insurance in the event the Zach Randolph situation does not play out as planned. He could go anywhere from late teens to early second round.
What must the Grizz do after the pick or in combination w/selection: Trade for the scoring SF needed to balance out the starting lineup. If Stokes is drafted as your only first round pick then WE still must address the scoring athletic wing needed to progress further in the playoffs. I believe that this is the thinking of the front office anyway as few young players are able to come in and play right away so a seasoned veteran is the direction they intend to go. While acquiring this individual via free agency is also possible the pickings are slim and other than retreds none really move the needle, and are only stop gaps. The acquisition should be young enough to bring the acquired athleticism, like Chandler Parsons, Gordon Heyward, and Jeff Green. I hope they stay away from the likes of Vince Carter, Shawn Marion, and Danny Granger. A healthy Quincy Poindexter is also not the answer to this problem.

These are the top considerations for the #22 pick or first round selection, while it is not proven that any of the above will be successful, it is felt there production will be much greater than those omitted. The selection more so than in past years must be ready to go and provide hope that the individual will take even larger steps in the future.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Re: The necessary move after the selection 

Post#2 » by vanjulio » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:03 pm

McDermott was the best player in the game last year. Forget about potential for a minute and he was the best player. He'll go top 10 if not slide to top 15 I believe.

The day we throw away a first round pick on a DLeaguer I will just stop following our drafts completely. You might as well just sell it for cash considerations.

Stokes is a reach at #22, but I like him. Simply because I'm a big homer. :lol:

My opinion is these are not the players I would target this year at #22 :noway:
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die

Return to Memphis Grizzlies