Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Welcome Jordan Adams and Jarnell Stokes 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:01 am

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grizz ... aft-140626

MEMPHIS, June 26, 2014 - The Memphis Grizzlies selected UCLA guard Jordan Adams with the No. 22 overall pick in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft, the team announced.

Adams (6-5, 209) played two collegiate seasons (2012-14) at UCLA, averaging 16.4 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.1 assists and a school-record 2.43 steals on .467 shooting in 30.2 minutes in 69 games. His 168 career steals rank seventh on the Bruins’ all-time list. He also was the second-fastest player in school history to reach 1,000 career points (62 games).

The 19-year-old earned First Team All-Pac 12 honors as a sophomore last season, leading the Bruins in scoring with 17.4 points and a conference-high 2.64 steals while shooting .485 from the field in 30.1 minutes in 36 games. Adams compiled a single-season school-record 95 steals, ranking second in the NCAA, and his 626 points marked the second-highest single-season total at UCLA in the last 19 seasons.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grizz ... kes-140626

MEMPHIS, June 26, 2014 – The Memphis Grizzlies acquired the draft rights to University of Tennessee forward/center and native Memphian Jarnell Stokes, who was selected with the No. 35 overall pick in the second round of the 2014 NBA Draft, from the Utah Jazz for a 2016 second round draft pick, the team announced.

Stokes (6-9, 263) played three collegiate seasons at the University of Tennessee, averaging 13.0 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.08 blocks on .530 shooting in 29.7 minutes in 87 games. The 20-year-old leaves the Volunteers ranked fourth in school history in double-doubles (40), eighth in total rebounds (836) and 14th in blocks (94). He led the Southeastern Conference in offensive rebounding in each of his final two years in Knoxville.

A First Team All-SEC selection as a junior last season, Stokes posted 15.1 points and a conference-best 10.6 rebounds on .531 shooting in 32.4 minutes in 37 games, guiding Tennessee to three NCAA Tournament victories and a trip the the Sweet 16. He upped his averages to 18.0 points and 12.8 rebounds in four tournament games, including a 26-point, 14-rebound performance on March 21, 2014 vs. Massachusetts.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Re: Welcome Jordan Adams and Jarnell Stokes 

Post#2 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:55 pm

I thought Jordan Adams was a slightly odd choice for Memphis. Mostly because I wasn't a big fan of Adams. I thought Memphis could have used someone like KJ McDaniels or Rodney Hood. Especially with Tayshaun being a shell of himself.

Plus, Memphis still has Tony Allen, Courtney Lee and Quincy Pondexter returning next season.
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#3 » by darkangle901 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 am

Yeah, Rodney Hood was a no-brainer there. Im still kind of mad about the pick.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#4 » by dark-child » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:46 pm

File this under hoping for the best -
Adams is a scorer which we need, and he was the best player on a UCLA team that had Zach Levine and Anderson that many a Grizz fan wanted, myself included. As for the non athlete component the same was same about James Harden when he was coming out of Arizona State and he is now the best SG in the league.
The selection is odd given the players we already have at SG so a trade is necessary to alleviate the logjam. The front office must have some sort of move in mind since both Rodney Hood and Anderson were available during this selection and they passed to draft yet another SG for the second year in a row.

As for Stokes, I am very pleased with the selection and he has the chance to see immediate minutes. It would seem as though we are moving off of Ed Davis so there is no need to even extend a qualifying offer. If he wants to go to a contender with little cap space then a sign and trade would be possible but there isn't any need to want to match him since Stokes and Luer can carry the position.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#5 » by vanjulio » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:36 pm

KJ McDaniels I think has Allstar potential
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#6 » by jumivi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:09 pm

dark-child wrote:File this under hoping for the best -
Adams is a scorer which we need, and he was the best player on a UCLA team that had Zach Levine and Anderson that many a Grizz fan wanted, myself included. As for the non athlete component the same was same about James Harden when he was coming out of Arizona State and he is now the best SG in the league.
The selection is odd given the players we already have at SG so a trade is necessary to alleviate the logjam. The front office must have some sort of move in mind since both Rodney Hood and Anderson were available during this selection and they passed to draft yet another SG for the second year in a row.

As for Stokes, I am very pleased with the selection and he has the chance to see immediate minutes. It would seem as though we are moving off of Ed Davis so there is no need to even extend a qualifying offer. If he wants to go to a contender with little cap space then a sign and trade would be possible but there isn't any need to want to match him since Stokes and Luer can carry the position.

+1, im only disagree with ANDERSON, i dont like him in Grizz.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#7 » by miltk » Wed Jul 2, 2014 10:28 pm

as a "non-athlete", adams outplayed every athlete he faced. granted it's collegiate, but never underestimate a smart player with skills who's developed a lifelong game to compensate for lack of elite athleticism...those guys just PLAY. they have a way of making their opponent play to their speed. kyle anderson does the same thing

Return to Memphis Grizzlies