Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Sign Vince Carter 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:09 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... -Grizzlies

I'll be honest, I'm not feelin this move. Mainly a three year deal for a former all-star who will be 41 at the end of the deal is a stretch imo. To be a starting SF and to replace Prince for Carter is not my idea of a replacement. Especially past the age of 35. The Grizzlies should've gone younger and been smarter in their choice of SF. Now this team have two warhorses at SF.
legendO_Kiko
Sophomore
And1: 15

Re: Grizzlies Sign Vince Carter 

Post#2 » by legendO_Kiko » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 am

SD2042 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234246/Vince-Carter-Agrees-To-Three-Year-$122M-Deal-With-Grizzlies

I'll be honest, I'm not feelin this move. Mainly a three year deal for a former all-star who will be 41 at the end of the deal is a stretch imo. To be a starting SF and to replace Prince for Carter is not my idea of a replacement. Especially past the age of 35. The Grizzlies should've gone younger and been smarter in their choice of SF. Now this team have two warhorses at SF.

Ya I would've liked a Younger signing but I think this move also shows that prince is more than likely gonna be moved. Even if it's for an old washing machine he's out
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#3 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:24 pm

It's a little bit of a head scratcher. Carter can still play, but that deal is a little long considering his age.
legendO_Kiko
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#4 » by legendO_Kiko » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:57 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:It's a little bit of a head scratcher. Carter can still play, but that deal is a little long considering his age.

I don't think there's anyway he plus to 41, this is essentially a two ur deal it's not overly expensive either I see him retiring at 40
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#5 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:49 pm

legendO_Kiko wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:It's a little bit of a head scratcher. Carter can still play, but that deal is a little long considering his age.

I don't think there's anyway he plus to 41, this is essentially a two ur deal it's not overly expensive either I see him retiring at 40

That makes sense. But, did the Grizz need this deal with Pondexter coming back?
Nsync_Beckham
Junior
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Nsync_Beckham » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:14 pm

As a VC fan I'm disappointed he chose Memphis of all places. I expect him to start and score about 20 ppg. age is nothing but a #
Raptorel
Starter
And1: 50

Post#7 » by Raptorel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:19 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SudXly70GB0[/youtube]
Birth of the Cool wrote:Kaman in person is even more disturbing to watch. I felt my seat inching ever so slowing towards his black hole gravitational pull. Luckily RC finally pulled him before my row was devoured by Galactus/Kaman.
Raptorel
Starter

Post#8 » by Raptorel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:15 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixetWo-Gmgc[/youtube]
Birth of the Cool wrote:Kaman in person is even more disturbing to watch. I felt my seat inching ever so slowing towards his black hole gravitational pull. Luckily RC finally pulled him before my row was devoured by Galactus/Kaman.
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#9 » by jumivi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Nsync_Beckham wrote:As a VC fan I'm disappointed he chose Memphis of all places...

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Great addition, he could start right now, but i still believe we have to make a trade (T. Young, if not Budinger) About hes age... he has the same of Manu, one less than Duncan.

2013/2014
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qseR8s1Hl4[/youtube]

WELCOME VINSANITY
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOvNIPxytc[/youtube]
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
legendO_Kiko wrote:

That makes sense. But, did the Grizz need this deal with Pondexter coming back?

The better question to ask is can Pondexter stay healthy? That remains a mystery.
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#11 » by darkangle901 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 am

legendO_Kiko wrote:

Not only that but we're getting a new CBA in two years. Surely there will be a new amnesty provision, maybe even a mini-amnesty as well.

Also, i havent seen the details, bit i would find it strange if this isnt a frontloaded deal.

Bottom line is, we needed a new shooter who wouldnt hurt our ability to be players in FA next summer. Carter shot nearly 40% from deep last year, and tbh he jacked a lot of them up.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using RealGM Forums mobile app
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#12 » by jefe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:51 am

This came out of nowhere. Apparently, the third year is only partially guaranteed. I'm on the fence with this one. He's a better all around player than Mike Miller right now, but we refused to offer Miller more than two years (supposedly). However, he may be our starting SF - which says more about Prince than Carter.
jjarett
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#13 » by jjarett » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:45 pm

He's 37, not 38. If he plays three years he'll retire at 40.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#14 » by mid-post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:14 pm

If he can be remotely mediocre on defense and just bring a fraction of the offense he knows how to bring, this will help us out a lot. He's a solid veteran presence who can still play and we're only paying $4 milion per year. Good signing.
I like this move and the Stokes pick a lot.
Raptorel
Starter

Post#15 » by Raptorel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:01 pm

He's a good post defender if anything. On the perimeter, he's not fast enough, but inside he's very good.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#16 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:40 pm

The third year of the deal is only partially guaranteed as well. I think he'll fit in the Grizz locker room well. Unlike AI, VC has chosen to develop a new style to his game and take on a new role. In that, he's extended his career in a meaningful way. I hate to see Mike go, but there's no doubt that he wanted to play with Lebron if possible.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#17 » by cpower » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:13 am

good pickup , vince at 37 is still better than most of the sgs out there in the nba. He is a three point machine once he gets hot, and he can provide a lot of leadership on the court.
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#18 » by darkangle901 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:49 am

One thing I wonder though is how effective he is from the corner. You really need guys who can hit corner threes at a good clip (well above 40%) in order to exploit defenses these days.

Watching him the last couple years, I can't remember him hitting a ton of those shots.

And for now, Quincy is the only guy on the roster who is a proven threat from there.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#19 » by dark-child » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:20 pm

This is a perfect example of why the Grizz having max space will not be all it is cracked up to be because it is so hard to get star players in their prime to come to Memphis. Right now the cap space for 2015 will maybe get us Rudy Gay if he is in a forgiven mood and still maintains his home here.

We have not solved our SF problem with this signing.

The Grizz are the MLS of the NBA, if we haven't traded for them free agents don't just come here if they have other choices. Yes Thierry Henri, Kaka, Frank Lampard play in the MLS but it is in the twilight of their careers.

Carter should be viewed and used as a role player, any designs on him being the starter would be outrageous by the front office to fathom.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#20 » by SaintofKillers » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:40 pm

VC is going to surprise you guys just like when we first signed him. Good 3 point shooter and surprisingly good man defender and weakside shot blocker.

He sucked the first 50 games last year but he did turn it back around. Hopefully you get the VC of 2.5 seasons.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies