ImageImage

Thoughts on Lionel Hollins?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Thoughts on Lionel Hollins? 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Net fan looking for some input on Hollins. I'm happy with us bringing him on and actually was hoping we would sign him instead of kidd last offseason.

Our biggest issues are:

-0 leadership. its been a major issue for several years. king identified this as a problem and brought in KG, but he was an enormous disappointment in that regard.

-effort. the nets played with the least effort of any team in the NBA the last 2 years. we are a lifeless team with no pride or passion. our guys constantly take possesions or even games off. We mailed in so many tail ends of back to backs it was crazy. Deron williams specifically doesnt play very hard and it kind of trickles down from there.

-Lopez being downy soft. The guy is the softest big in the league. he is really talented, but he 20 points have nearly no impact, mostly because he isnt aggresive at all, and will settle for whatever you give him. he has no mean streak and is a terrible defender.

i like hollins because he is supposed to be a tough coach who takes pride in defense. do you think he is suited to help improve any of those areas? im encouraged that he has already mentioned all 3 of these items in his press conferences
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Re: Thoughts on Lionel Hollins? 

Post#2 » by dark-child » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:58 pm

He is a very good coach, and some might even say a bit underrated. He also no nonsense, but not in a Scott Skiles sort of way, but in terms of requiring effort from his players. His team will love him and respect him, even if there are times when they hate his guts, because he will be brutally honest with his opinion even if he is wrong.

Brook might respond under him so that is not the relationship I would concern myself with but the D. Williams/Lionel Hollins situation. Coach Hollins is a former point guard on a championship team just like Avery Johnson/D. Williams and Jerry Sloan/D. Williams. Former point guard turned coaches a pretty particular about how things should be run and All Star point guards sometimes think they already know best so friction is ripe between the two.

Given the outlook of the team going forward it probably would not be a bad idea to revisit trading D. Williams while his ankles are still in tact and his value is still relatively high. You would not be trading him to just keep Hollins but to actually have assets and picks that you don't have now. It would seem you are going to be middle of the pack with or without D. Williams so a well placed call to Phoenix, Dallas, & Denver. I would mention Boston but the last time the two of you hooked up it did not go so good for you.

If you elect to hold on to D. Williams a little longer and want to move Brook Lopez, deals for Roy Hibbert and Javale McGee also make some sense.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: Thoughts on Lionel Hollins? 

Post#3 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Good coach. Will talk himself out of the job in 2 - 2.5 years.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies