And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Waived Franklin 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:12 am

Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Re: Grizzlies Waived Franklin 

Post#2 » by Zion Wembanyama » Mon Sep 1, 2014 11:07 am

I'd like Nawlins to sign him and see if he can be our future 3&D guy. Did he develop a 3pt shot?
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#3 » by vanjulio » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:15 pm

unbelievable! i remember all the hype last year - some people thought he would start his rookie season. Are any of these guys going to stick? (Demarre Carroll, Sam Young, Xavier Henry, Josh Selby, Tony Wroten, Greivis Vasquez, and now Franklin). If I was Jordan Adams I would be calling my agent saying "find me a team - any team!"
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:21 am

vanjulio wrote:unbelievable! i remember all the hype last year - some people thought he would start his rookie season. Are any of these guys going to stick? (Demarre Carroll, Sam Young, Xavier Henry, Josh Selby, Tony Wroten, Greivis Vasquez, and now Franklin). If I was Jordan Adams I would be calling my agent saying "find me a team - any team!"

You bring up a point. How is that every time this team draft a player they end up trading or waiving the player? I remember suggesting that the Grizzlies should've traded the pick from this past draft since they have a history of turnovers when it comes to drafting rookies and simply do not draft well.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by vanjulio » Wed Sep 3, 2014 1:59 pm

On the Grizz boards they also brought up Fab Melo. :banghead:
oh well . this is what happens when you make the playoffs 4 straight years I guess. You get a bunch of muppets late round however San Antonio seems to turn them into starters half the time and elite role players... argh!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 4:13 pm

The Spurs may draft late into the first round, but their organization know how to draft and research their players very well. One of the reasons I give props to them. They know how to draft. They know that because most teams in the NBA try to copy how their methods. No one can duplicate the original.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#7 » by dark-child » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:32 pm

The difference between the two organizations would seem to be the consistency in the decision making process within the Spurs leadership, while year to year within FedEx Forum there is a new player calling the shots, whether it is an ownership change, a GM with no real power, or an owner still letting Jerry West convince him Hasheem Thabeet is the way to go, we haven't been able to get it right on a consistent basis so no single vision is ever implemented.

Hence our current state of affairs!
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by vanjulio » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:14 pm

I thought Thabeet was Tony Barone's job. I believe West made some comments to Heisley though and he made the final call. Or was that OJ Mayo? another mild bust.

Rudy Gay was the last Jerry West boy I recall who he aggressively went after and traded the #1 favorite player of the city to get (Citizen Shane). That was gutsy and the fans and the franchise player (Pau) turned on him after that. West went west, and the Grizz had to rebuild. Thank you Chris Wallace - he really saved us from those dark years.

I don't think we're that bad at identifying talent - its just keeping it and developing seems to be faulty. Look at Demarre Carroll, Lowry, Vasquez, Haddadi, Juan Carlos Navarro. They have carved out great careers so far post-Memphis. Disappointing that XHenry, Sam Young, Warrick, josh Selby, and Javaris Crittenton never went anywhere. I thought they all had real talent myself It looks like some time Wroten and henry will have a chance to contribute to lottery teams for a while. Maybe Jamaal Franklin and this Jordan Adams kid can do the same.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#9 » by dark-child » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:19 pm

Jerry West was not officially the GM during the Thabeet pick, Chris Wallace was, but Jerry still had Michael Heisley ear and Heisley trusted Jerry. The day of the lottery, it was reported that the Grizz would be taking Thabeet and he never wavered from that stance even though Thabeets agent kept him from working out for teams prior to the draft to keep his lack of talent and skill from being on full display. Heisley admitted a conversation he had with West in which West said Thabeet would have a 10 -15 year career being a double double guy. Plus keep in mind that this was when we already had Marc Gasol, so the picking Thabeet set us back at least three years, and some will say we still haven't recovered from that blunder. Keep in mind what the Grizz could have been if they had drafted any of the following James Harden, Stephen Curry, Tyreke Evans.
Zordor
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#10 » by Zordor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:47 pm

I have always said in my ideal team that the grizzlies could have put together, it would have included having a backcourt of Curry and Conley, they would have just been plain unstoppable, got a front court of Gasol and Randolph and I dare say you put ANY small forward just about (well maybe not prince haha) in our starting SF spot and this would have easily been a championship caliber team. This is a very odd team, and I understand it is just videogames, but I cannot tell you how many back to back to back... championships I won with a Conley/Curry team, my favorite being Conley, Curry, Gay, Tyrus Thomas (More like a filler player), Deandre Jordan
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by vanjulio » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:42 pm

in real life Curry is too small/unathletic to defend most SG. I hear ya though. I torch the computer with the Conley / Jerryd Bayless back court.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies