Kobe List Tony Allen as Best Defender

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Kobe List Tony Allen as Best Defender 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sat Dec 5, 2015 4:50 am

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/3/9846716/la-lakers-kobe-bryant-kobe-stopper-tony-allen

"The player I always had the most trouble with individually was Tony Allen. Always." Bryant said, before citing Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, and Ruben Patterson as other players who gave him trouble. In Kobe's eyes, however, Allen stands (or more accurately, laterally slides) without peer.

"Tony Allen he played one on one defense. He never funneled me anywhere. His job was just to stay in front of me and just hound me the entire game, and he did."

This is not the first time Bryant has cited Allen as his biggest challenge. In November of 2014 before breaking his knee in a collision with Allen, Kobe praised him to Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News:

"I know what to do and he knows how to guard me," Bryant said. "It's just a matter of who can get the better of who consistently. There will be possessions where he does a phenomenal job. There will be possessions where I abuse him. It's a fun battle to see."

"He's fundamentally sound defensively and he plays harder than everybody else defensively," Bryant said. "He has a competitive desire to compete individually. That's very uncommon. Most defensive players I face want help all the time. I've never heard him ask for help. He likes taking the challenge."

We already know of TA's reputation of being a very good sound defender. To be given credit twice by Kobe Bryant truly speaks volumes.

FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE!
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,551

Re: Kobe List Tony Allen as Best Defender 

Post#2 » by BarbaGrizz » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:19 pm

TA is the soul of our team
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to Memphis Grizzlies