ImageImage

2016 Grizzlies Offseason

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

NowLarry
Ballboy
And1: 13

Re: 2016 Grizzlies Offseason 

Post#21 » by NowLarry » Sun Jul 3, 2016 11:10 pm

I am assuming Hairston came to us as summer free agent based on his name not being mentioned in any waiver wire stuff or declined options in the media. Did we renounce his rights though?

I guess I was correct that Parsons would be our primary target if we decided to keep Conley.I think we severely overpaid on the outside looking in for Conley but it seems we took the money that Stephenson would have made along with either Anderson/Chalmers cap holds and decided that Mike deserved that salary . If you look at it that it isn't so bad really and is a smart way to pay one of your main guys extra.

Also getting guys like Ennis,Wroten cheap was good. I am wondering if they plan on bringing JaMichael back. I feel like he could start for the Nets and get paid better by them than we could.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#22 » by SD2042 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 3:10 pm

NowLarry wrote:I am assuming Hairston came to us as summer free agent based on his name not being mentioned in any waiver wire stuff or declined options in the media. Did we renounce his rights though?

I guess I was correct that Parsons would be our primary target if we decided to keep Conley.I think we severely overpaid on the outside looking in for Conley but it seems we took the money that Stephenson would have made along with either Anderson/Chalmers cap holds and decided that Mike deserved that salary . If you look at it that it isn't so bad really and is a smart way to pay one of your main guys extra.

Also getting guys like Ennis,Wroten cheap was good. I am wondering if they plan on bringing JaMichael back. I feel like he could start for the Nets and get paid better by them than we could.

I think we overpaid for Conley as well. I can only hope that the payment does not comeback and bite the Grizzlies later if Conley gets injured again and misses time. As for Jam Green, with the Nets getting Trevor Booker, I think it's a moot point for Green to go the Nets.
qwerty1234
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#23 » by qwerty1234 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:02 pm

I believe we're at 14 players right now:

1- Conley, Harrison, Baldwin
2- Daniels, Carter
3- Parsons, Allen, Ennis
4- Randolph, Green, Martin, Davis
5- Gasol, Wright

Only Conley, Gasol, and Daniels probably won't be playing a secondary position so I don't think we have a depth need anywhere. I would like to see another vet PG, like a Chalmers, but I don't know how the cap works at this point. Do we have any exceptions since we started the offseason with so much cap space or are we limited to minimums? According to spotrac we are at 107m salary, giving us 6m before we hit the luxury tax and 10m before we are hard capped from the Daniels sign and trade. It's hard to believe ownership would be willing to pay the tax, but I didn't think they'd be willing to max offer Parsons either, so I don't know anymore. Any thoughts, ideas, rumors, or news I may have missed?
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#24 » by boogiesdad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:33 am

So far, I for one can say that I am happy with the improvements. I still think that we need another shooter, and we need someone in the wings ready to step up for Randolph and Allen as they enter their last few years.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#25 » by dark-child » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:36 pm

I REFUSE TO GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT,

i am still hoping (praying) for one of the following trade scenarios to cap the off season:

OUTGOING: Brandon Wright & Vince Carter

INCOMING:

1st Choice: Terrence Ross - Toronto
2nd Choice: Monta Ellis - Indiana
3rd Choice: Kosta Koufus, & Ben McLemore - Sacramento

DEALS FOR JUST BRANDON WRIGHT:

1st Choice: Will Barton - Denver
2nd Choice: K.J. McDaniels & Michael Beasley - Houston
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#26 » by boogiesdad » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:36 pm

I think your reaching for both. Trading both, and clearing space would make more sense. We could easily resign Chalmers as a backup PG for that cap space on a 1 year deal, as there are no hard feelings there with the cleared cap room. Then grab a big man on a Vet minimum deal, or grab a defensive, energizer bunny like Stephens to pester the hell out of wings in the West.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#27 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Aug 5, 2016 7:28 pm

As part of an ongoing series of offseasons in review, a few of us on the TnT board posted a review of Memphis' offseason here -- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1470434

As always, would love to hear from Memphis fans on what they thought of the offseason.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#28 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:07 pm

dark-child wrote:DEALS FOR JUST BRANDON WRIGHT:

1st Choice: Will Barton - Denver

Doubt Denver would be interested in anyone over 26 or so, except maybe for a superstar. Our core won't be ready to contend in time for them to be of value and we already have at least 3 deep at every position and that doesn't count players that play multiple positions which would take us to 4 or 5 deep at the 2,3,&4.

On the other hand, congratulations on a fine off-season (dang blast it). It looks like you have a nice team (here's hoping I'm wrong). Sure wish the 2017 Memphis draft pick were a lottery pick. But it looks like it won't be close (curses, well I don't like curse, but you know what I mean). :noway: :banghead:

Return to Memphis Grizzlies