Grizzlies 2016 Free Agency Period

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies 2016 Free Agency Period 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:30 am

This thread will be dedicated to all rumors involving the Grizzlies movements.

As we all know, the Grizzlies own Mike Conley is in line for a pay raise. There has been much debate about whether or not Conley is worth the max. Most the issues is stemming from the fact that he's not played in any all-star games so far into his career. Which could be seen as the "good" vs. "not great" debate. Also the history of injuries that has plagued him the last two seasons. The Grizzlies have some major decisions to make beginning at midnight July 1st. Will they offer Mike Conley the max and risk locking themselves out from pursuing potential free agents or will another team come along and sign him away the Grizzlies?

Another name add to the Grizzlies rumors is Chandler Parsons. Known for his perimeter offense and somewhat decent defense. He will be a high profile name some teams will look to go after. He like Conley will demand max money. Like Conley he has injury concerns in consecutive seasons. Will he be worth the risk?

Another name link to the Grizzlies in SG/SF Kent Bazemore. Aggressive and tough slasher at this position. Don't know how much money he will demand. One thing's for sure, the Grizzlies have lot of work do and no time to waste.
qwerty1234
Sophomore
And1: 150

Re: Grizzlies 2016 Free Agency Period 

Post#2 » by qwerty1234 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:42 am

I was pretty surprised the Parsons rumors were true. I felt he was too big of a name to consider Memphis, but it makes sense considering his injury history. If a small market team isn't hesitating to give him a max offer immediately, something major markets aren't willing to do, he has to consider them. Seeing that Portland also extended him a max offer, I just don't see him picking us over them. We don't have a player comparable to Lillard, we don't yet know what to expect from our coaching, and our front office doesn't have a good track record. We'll see I guess, there isn't any spirit like our grit n' grind out there.

I like the idea of Bazemore, he'll give us a scoring punch we haven't had since Gay. But I don't know if he is going to be worth overpaying for, he seems to be more potential than star right now.

Either way I like the direction we are heading by going after a starting caliber wing immediately. I had been worried by all the articles I've read that suggested we spend our money on another big lol.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 2, 2016 3:30 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242555/Chandler-Parsons-Agrees-Upon-Four-Year-$94M-Deal-With-GrizzliesLooks like

Chandler Parsons became the first player for the Grizzlies to sign for the season. Hope it works out
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#4 » by Statlanta » Sun Jul 3, 2016 5:10 am

Missed out on Eric Gordon I see, maybe the Grizz are looking for more durable and less expensive players
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
qwerty1234
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#5 » by qwerty1234 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 9:22 am

OrlandoTill wrote:Missed out on Eric Gordon I see, maybe the Grizz are looking for more durable and less expensive players

I don't think durability is a concern, but I'm sure cost was the main concern. We probably only have 5-6m in cap room before conley's contract hits the books, depending on cap holds we keep. I also don't trust the ownership group to be willing to max our cap space and risk approaching luxury tax territory.

That being said, I really would have liked to add Gordon. Now we are going to have to settle for scraps, which is probably going to be the Ennis deal.
Basketball MVP
Junior
And1: 406

Post#6 » by Basketball MVP » Sun Jul 3, 2016 8:43 pm

I believe Conley, Gasol and Parsons can carry this team as far as they want to go. I think the deciding factors going into next year is maintaining health of our core players, and if Z-Bo can pick it up a bit.

I don't see why anyone would want Gordon, he's talented but very prone to injury.
Memphis basketball
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#7 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sun Jul 3, 2016 11:02 pm

Congrats on signing Ennis. He can lack confidence at times, but honestly the guy is a great scorer when he gets comfortable. His last few games with the Pelicans were great.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 4, 2016 12:12 am

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:Congrats on signing Ennis. He can lack confidence at times, but honestly the guy is a great scorer when he gets comfortable. His last few games with the Pelicans were great.

I miss the news about the Grizzlies signing Ennis back with the team. In limited minutes, I can't say I have enough opinions into the guy to say whether or not he will be beneficial for the Grizzlies future.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#9 » by dark-child » Tue Jul 5, 2016 1:44 pm

I like the moves so far, but we still need to hit on the starting SG, and YES that is still a major NEED IMO. Right now it looks like they will have to trade for it as what is out there does not look promising for the CAP space we have. I favor going young with in no particular order:

Ben McLemore - as Sacramento upgraded the SG and drafted a SG so it would seem he is very available

KJ McDaniels - Houston, not viewed as a starter by his current team, low cost, great defense, excellent athlete

Terrance Ross - Toronto, if they are interested in a package built around Brandon Wright, and sentimental about V.C.

Danny Green - San Antonio, having trouble moving Diaw, then let Memphis help by taking Green.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies